Body scanners, More likely not to fly to cruise?

derf5585

As someone who works for the TSA, I can't say thanks enough to those posters who are supportive of our new procedures. I have been feeling very discouraged lately because of all the bad press. I'm just trying to do my job to the best of my ability. I'm not a McDonalds reject or uneducated. In fact, I have a college degree. Trust me when I say this that I am not getting my jollies patting down someone who hasn't bathed in a week or digging through your dirty underwear. I have a difficult job to do and any support is appreciated. A minor inconvenience on the ground is much better than a major one in the air, don't you think?

When an agent of the TSA, the government, subjects a three year old to this:

I call out someone who works for the TSA to say ENOUGH is ENOUGH. If you don't I hold those people in just as much contempt as I did for the citizens of Munich who let the attrocities at Dachau occur right under their nose and did nothing to stop it. At least you won't be executed if someone working for the TSA says this is going too far.

Think about this thought: I cannot find one single instance where the TSA has actually stopped anyone at any airport screening station who was attempting to board a flight with the intent of harming the flight or any person on the flight. All of the metal detectors, all of the groping, all of the full body scanners ... and throughout all this the TSA has never stopped one single terrorist at any screening station at any airport in the United States. Now you may say ... and accurately so ... that the very presence of the TSA has kept the MUSLIM terrorists away .. and you are undoubtedly right. But if that's the case, and if the screening procedures used thus far were doing that job ... why the sudden intensification? Why the groping? Why the hands in the pants?

Most of the people who are not outraged are those who it does not affect..the DAM people. When it does start with shopping malls, grocery stores and to this extent...more will step up and say NO!

Thanks for your hard work in such a thankless job during this time of war. I understand that you were hired to perform your job thoroughly and indiscriminately. I appreciate you helping to keep us safe. From now on, I promise to make sure my dirty underwear is in a checked bag.:o

As someone who works for the TSA, I can't say thanks enough to those posters who are supportive of our new procedures. I have been feeling very discouraged lately because of all the bad press. I'm just trying to do my job to the best of my ability. I'm not a McDonalds reject or uneducated. In fact, I have a college degree. Trust me when I say this that I am not getting my jollies patting down someone who hasn't bathed in a week or digging through your dirty underwear. I have a difficult job to do and any support is appreciated. A minor inconvenience on the ground is much better than a major one in the air, don't you think?

Perhaps we should emulate Israel-profiling and the use of dogs. But, whoa, that would put too many government workers out of work; and, it might also reduce the cost of flying to the consumer. So I guess that is not such a good idea.

I think it is a great idea!

I call out someone who works for the TSA to say ENOUGH is ENOUGH. If you don't I hold those people in just as much contempt as I did for the citizens of Munich who let the attrocities at Dachau occur right under their nose and did nothing to stop it. At least you won't be executed if someone working for the TSA says this is going too far.

Think about this thought: I cannot find one single instance where the TSA has actually stopped anyone at any airport screening station who was attempting to board a flight with the intent of harming the flight or any person on the flight. All of the metal detectors, all of the groping, all of the full body scanners ... and throughout all this the TSA has never stopped one single terrorist at any screening station at any airport in the United States. Now you may say ... and accurately so ... that the very presence of the TSA has kept the MUSLIM terrorists away .. and you are undoubtedly right. But if that's the case, and if the screening procedures used thus far were doing that job ... why the sudden intensification? Why the groping? Why the hands in the pants?

Most of the people who are not outraged are those who it does not affect..the DAM people. When it does start with shopping malls, grocery stores and to this extent...more will step up and say NO!

Real class comparing TSA and the citizensof the USA to one of the darkest times in history. I have found that is usually the case when someone has no argument. Just curious in all your brilliance how you know TSA hasn't prevented a terrorist. Its one of those things you wouldn't know either way. I'll be ignoring someone's posts from here on in...

I think it is a great idea!

It would not put too many government workers out of work, it would require probably thousands of more employees. As I have said three times in this thread, ElAl has about 40 flights a day, the US has over 2400. You going to hire enough people to personally screen the thousands upon thousands of people who fly every day. Any idea what your tickets costs will be. I can't stand this Israeli comparison as it does not deal with reality.

You going to hire enough people to personally screen the thousands upon thousands of people who fly every day. Any idea what your tickets costs will be. I can't stand this Israeli comparison as it does not deal with reality.

One way to ease the unempoyment situation.

Well, I am just going to vent. My husband soooo annoys me when we are travelling because he wears cowboys boots which takes him forever to take off when going through security and not to mention all the stuff in his pocket.

Children under 12 are not subject to the pat downs and it's been announced that Pilots are now except from the scanner and pat downs.

I fly often and I don't care if I have to go through a scanner or have a pat down. Actually I've had many pat downs over the years. I'd prefer to do that and know I have a good chance of getting where I'm going.

I've also come to the conclusion that way too many people drag out the 'our rights are being violated' when they don't like something. What about everyone else's right of getting safely to their destination? :rolleyes:

Whatever, I am not going to fly anymore, at least for the present. I do not feel any safer with TSA doing these intrusive searches when they are not allowed to profile.

Don't want to argue with anyone, this is just how I feel. And by golly, I am entitled to my feelings and opinions. You can do what YOU want.

Regarding flying

"I don't wanna,

I don't hafta, and

I ain't gonna."

Cruises from a homeport on the East Coast are still on my okay list because we can drive. When screening pre-cruise at the terminal becomes as tedious and invasive as TSA screenings, then it will be time for me to stop cruising. Just my choice.

I am starting to wonder how many of the Chicken Little's really do travel, and how many are just making politically strategic noise? I just finally figured out where it is all leading.

After reading this thread, it struck me as to how many people including myself really are not concerned with the procedures at this point. If you watch TV news and especially the cable networks, you would think the sky is falling and it is the end of the world. They don't seem to be able to find one person who isn't too concerned.

I am starting to wonder how many of the Chicken Little's really do travel, and how many are just making politically strategic noise? I just finally figured out where it is all leading.

Inquiring mimes want to know

Where is it leading?

I do not have a problem with going through scanners. Better safe than sorry. I was just talking with my husband and he said that he heard a couple of days ago that the Muslim women said they would not go through the scanners and would also not do the pat down because it is against their religion. If they do not make them go through one or the other then that is not fair and the American people should protest. I did not hear it but he said that he heard that.

With all the hassle flying entails now days, we drive.

Such as: drive to the airport (don't forget to be there at least 2 hours early), park, stand in line to check bags, stand in line to get through the initial security checkpoint, stand in line to put your stuff through the xray machine, take your shoes off, put them through too, get scanned/groped, stand in line to get a chair to put shoes back on, go to gate and hope to find a seat. Then stand in line to get on board, fight for an overhead bin because no one wants to pay to check bags, get treated like crap by Flight Attendants all while listening to a screaming baby and getting your chair kicked by an obnoxious 7 year old while their mother does nothing. Get some disease just by breathing because of recirculated air. Then stand in line to get off while people in front of you take their sweet time getting their stuff out of the over head bins. Then comes the connecting flight. Forget it!

This latest nonsense just solidifies my rejection of flying. I don't care to be naked on screen or in person, nor felt up by a total stranger. It would NOT have detected the explosives in the guy's underwear, and I believe someone in the government must have some stock or interest in the company that makes these scanners as to all of a sudden think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

When they start scanning all the cargo and unaccompanied parcels on planes, then they might actually be on to something. Until then, I choose not to fly. To those who think it's no big deal, more power to you and safe travels. I'll be saving a ton of money driving my family in my Prius that gets over 50 MPG and not be subject to the circus of the the airlines.

I fly at least 4 to 5 times a month, and still I'm not concerned with the pat downs. So, call me Chicken Little, but at least I can back up my comments because I DO fly a lot.

What scares me more than the pat downs is what I see is terrible maintenance of aircraft. I have to fly Sky West and again the other night, flying home, we had another emergency when the flaps failed to work upon landing. This is the fourth emergency we've had flying these hateful CRJ's in the past 6 weeks.

To the Free Country lovers. If you think this is a free country look at the last couple years of Fed actions. If you want facts drive around the Southwest particularly Arizona and Southern California . There are plenty of Road checkpoints interrogating you against illegals. Do I care no, it's there to protect. If you want to compare it to **** Germany, that's your blood pressure rising.

Israeli Air Security - I spent twenty years traveling there. Will Israeli Security techniques work efficiently at an ariport like Orlando Airport. Abosolutely not. FIrst you would need to get to the airport 4 hours ahead to make sure you made your flight. The interrogation techniques would totally freak out a young mom with two or three kids. They would all be going into secondary processing.

I'd rather submit to more intense security then regret it while falling out of the sky in an airplane.

My only hesitation is the radiation from the body scanners. NO one has yet given any hard or definitive evidence that a scan is more or less harmful than a dental xray.

My 2c

Oh and BTW, there's a new scanner being used in Denmark that works similarly to the ones being used now, but instead of showing the naked body, it turns the scanned picture into a stick figure, but can still show contraband. Boston's Logan will be testing the new machine early next year.

It would NOT have detected the explosives in the guy's underwear, and I believe someone in the government must have some stock or interest in the company that makes these scanners as to all of a sudden think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

You're partly correct. The person pushing the use of the scanners is President Bush's Homeland Security Chief Michael Chertoff who advocated for the scanners made by a California-based Rapiscan Systems, a client of his consulting firm, the Chertoff Group.

Still makes no difference. I'll go through the scanner.

watch the video and see just how exempt they are. You are no more safer now than you were before 9/11 due to actions of the TSA.

And if you check the facts, you'll find that since this incident, children under 12 are now exempt.

And if you check the facts, you'll find that since this incident, children under 12 are now exempt.

And if you check the facts this happened when children under 12 were exempt already as I'd November 1! How anyone can look at that and not be outraged is befuddling to me?!? Gestapo at work and hence the reference to **** Germany!

Derf, I think the noise is a call for religious and racially based profiling. It fails to understand that the Israeli military is academically trained to perform a psychological profile; it has no knowledge of the breadth and diversity of Islam (this is not to say by any means that Muslims are singly responsible for terrorism) and that not all Muslims are brown and Arabic; it is unfamiliar with global terror and does not understand that every repressed group has its sympathizers who would act on their behalf, so it is not out of line to pat down grandma. The noise is naive, loud, and becoming very ugly.

Inquiring mimes want to know

Where is it leading?

Archived