Space ratio --- what does that mean ??

HamburgAvonLady

It's just a quick calculation that some people use to help figure out if the ship they will be on will feel crowded or not. You take the total square footage of the ship and divide by the passenger and crew capactiy to give you a measure of sq. ft per person. That info can be found here on CC and usually on the cruise line websites.

It's not going to be totally accurate because you don't know the size of each public area and how many will be there at any given time but it's a decent rough estimate and can be useful when comparing several ships.

Edited by spacepotatoes

You take the total square footage of the ship and divide by the passenger and crew capactiy to give you a measure of sq. ft per person...it's a decent rough estimate and can be useful when comparing several ships.
What you describe would be a far better measurement, but that's not what the space ratio is.

Space ratio takes the VOLUME of the ship, expressed in tons, and divides that number by the number of passengers. The tonnage number is a term that is used to describe how much cargo a ship can carry.

The tonnage measurement includes enclosed spaces only, so things like open decks, balconies, etc. are not included. A ship with a higher space ratio expressed in tons might actually have less space per passenger if the number was expressed in sq. ft. per person.

Space ratio is an almost useless statistic, but it gives people just one more thing to argue about on CC. :)

Edited by spongerob

What you describe would be a far better measurement, but that's not what the space ratio is.

Space ratio takes the VOLUME of the ship, expressed in tons, and divides that number by the number of passengers. The tonnage number is a term that is used to describe how much cargo a ship can carry.

The tonnage measurement includes enclosed spaces only, so things like open decks, balconies, etc. are not included. A ship with a higher space ratio expressed in tons might actually have less space per passenger if the number was expressed in sq. ft. per person.

Space ratio is an almost useless statistic, but it gives people just one more thing to argue about on CC. :)

Oops, thanks for the correction! My first thought was the tonnage but I was stuck on getting a result that had square footage in it so it didn't seem to make sense. Got it now :)

I am more confused than ever.
No need to be confused. Think of it this way, the space ratio will be larger (more 'roomy') if you are on a 100,000 GRT ship with a capacity of 1,200 passengers than it would be on a ship same size that holds 2,200 passengers.

I like the Berlitz annual cruise guides. I think they provide a lot of useful information. But I'm not convinced space ratio comes anywhere near the top of the "useful" list.

Once you have the space ratio number, the problem is what to do with it.

A fairly average number is around 50.

If you've cruised before, I guess you can look up the ration of a ship you found comfortable. Then, compare it with the ratio of a ship you're considering.

Personally, I'm much more interested in private than public space. I won't cruise in a cabin much under 200 square feet, and look for cheap inside cabins that size.

A "gross registered ton" is 100 cubic feet. So a ship like the Grand Princess that carries 2600 (double occupancy) and is 109,000 grt has a space ratio of 42. This means each passenger has 4200 cubic feet of space. Of course, when the ship sails full at Christmas with approx 3100 people taking up all those upper bunks, then the ratio drops.

I sailed on the Carnival Victory the week after 9-11, and we had 756 passengers make it to the cruise for an effective space ratio of 135. Wouldn't you know that my 13500 cubic feet also seemed to overlap another 100 people and their 13500 cubic feet anytime I wanted breakfast or to play the slot machines or when we lined up for debarkation.

Another thing that skews the numbers are large enclosed areas like, theaters, atriums or those multi-deck promenades on the RCI Voyager, Freeedom and Oasis ships. That volume is included in the tonnage of the ship, but all the people are at the bottom of it.

• 5 years later...

I agree that a calculation based upon public area footage per person would be a better predictor of the relative "crowdedness" of a ship.

I am seeking out a way to evaluate ships in this manner. Just returned from a cruise on the Celebrity Summit following 3 previous cruises on the Reflection and Equinox. The "space ratios" are virtually identical, but absolutely everything felt very crowded on the Summit. It was uncomfortable and no where near as relaxing.

It would be great if we could come up with a numerical predictor with which to compare this aspect of ships, but perhaps it just doesn't exist!

A "gross registered ton" is 100 cubic feet. So a ship like the Grand Princess that carries 2600 (double occupancy) and is 109,000 grt has a space ratio of 42. This means each passenger has 4200 cubic feet of space. Of course, when the ship sails full at Christmas with approx 3100 people taking up all those upper bunks, then the ratio drops.

I sailed on the Carnival Victory the week after 9-11, and we had 756 passengers make it to the cruise for an effective space ratio of 135. Wouldn't you know that my 13500 cubic feet also seemed to overlap another 100 people and their 13500 cubic feet anytime I wanted breakfast or to play the slot machines or when we lined up for debarkation.

Another thing that skews the numbers are large enclosed areas like, theaters, atriums or those multi-deck promenades on the RCI Voyager, Freeedom and Oasis ships. That volume is included in the tonnage of the ship, but all the people are at the bottom of it.

Despite it's frequent use on cruise line websites, "GRT" or Gross Registered Tons is no longer used. The current measure of ship's tonnage is "GT" or Gross Tonnage. Gross Tonnage is no longer defined as "100 cubic feet. It is actually a unitless number that is the enclosed volume of the ship modified by a "factor" that varies by ship design.

A fairly average number is around 50.

What world are you cruising in?!? An average number for mainstream lines is closer to 35-40. And many of the NCL, Aida, and Pulmantur ships are 30 or less. The average for the premium and luxury lines is probably closer to 55 or so.

While it doesn't tell you anything about the reality of the space, it is a "standard calculation" that nicely compares ships -- provided that they're all sailing with full double capacity. If a ship has 15% of its cabins with single occupancy or has 5% of its cabins with triple occupancy, it won't be comparative.

No, but the container hold below decks does count. The containers themselves count towards "deadweight" tonnage (DWT) (though in weight not volume, deadweight is the amount of cargo and liquids (fuel, water) the ship can carry). And then you start to confuse GT, DWT, and Displacement (the actual weight of the ship itself).

No need to be confused. Think of it this way, the space ratio will be larger (more 'roomy') if you are on a 100,000 GRT ship with a capacity of 1,200 passengers than it would be on a ship same size that holds 2,200 passengers.

As a specific example: HAL Vista class ships: 950 feet long, beam 106 feet,

81,769 tons carries 1,918 passengers.

NCL Jewel class ships: 965 feet long, beam 106 feet, 93,502 tons carries 2,379 passengers.

For essentially the same length and beam and 14% greater tonnage, the Jewel class ships carry 24% more passengers. The crowding difference (458 more people) is very obvious if you sail both.

As a specific example: HAL Vista class ships: 950 feet long, beam 106 feet,

81,769 tons carries 1,918 passengers.

NCL Jewel class ships: 965 feet long, beam 106 feet, 93,502 tons carries 2,379 passengers.

For essentially the same length and beam and 14% greater tonnage, the Jewel class ships carry 24% more passengers. The crowding difference (458 more people) is very obvious if you sail both.

Vista Class has a score of 37.8 at full capacity. Jewel's is 33.4. So I agree, the difference is very noticeable. From having been on ships that score in the low 30s, I know how crowded they feel.

For comparison, Carnival Dream Class scores 30.2. The Carnival Freedom is even worse at 29.6. This is reason number 1 that I avoid Carnival like the plague.

It is an indication only.

We find ship layout to be as big a factor.

We have been on a few smaller ships that had very generous space ratios. Or at least that is what we thought. Once we boarded we found the layout detracted from the space ratio. Elevators that emptied directly in front of the MDR or other areas that are routinely crowded. Or hallways that simply stopped.

It is the combination of space ratio and ship layout that really counts.

Vista Class has a score of 37.8 at full capacity. Jewel's is 33.4. So I agree, the difference is very noticeable. From having been on ships that score in the low 30s, I know how crowded they feel.

For comparison, Carnival Dream Class scores 30.2. The Carnival Freedom is even worse at 29.6. This is reason number 1 that I avoid Carnival like the plague.

I sailed Carnival Victory once - on a 4 day from New York to St. John and Halifax - I do not know whether it was the score or the nature of the passenger mix, but the experience was reminiscent of the northbound Lexington Avenue express at 14th Street at 5:15 in the afternoon.