Televised special events on a cruise ship

Tikibird

They just made the announcement of Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding of 29 April. That will be a sea day for us having just left Costa Rica and enroute to Panama. I am sure the cruise lines have some way to show this (on the MUTS screen?), perhaps in the same way they show the Superbowl, Olympics, etc?

I'd be taping it anyway but it would be fun if the ship makes a special event out of it, it is a PRINCESS ship after all! :D

There is enough worldwide interest so I'm going to go out on a limb and say, "Yes", although it'll depend on the ship's position and whether they can receive a signal from the satellite.

The Queen is one of Cunard's "godmothers" so I would expect them to cover the event.

If live, it will be at the crack of dawn - or a bit earlier. I think the Charles & Diana wedding started at 4 AM , so the room service won't be at dinner time!

We will be on the other side of the world, sailing from Singapore that afternoon.

It may depend on the CD. Last Feb. the CD on the Equinox got so many requests for the Canada/USA final hockey game that Celebrity paid to get it beamed in. They used the main showroom. But..... the CD was from Edmonton and was an avid hockey fan.

We were on the Tahitian Princess (now called Ocean Princess), so one of the smaller ships, for the World Cruise 2009. They set up the Princess Theatre with a big screen and showed the Super Bowl and Oscars in there, complete with finger foods, for these events.

So I am sure they will show it, even on the smaller ships. Pretty wide interest in this wedding. I remember getting up at '0 Dark Thirty' to watch Prince Charles and Lady Di wed.......and yeah, it is a girl thing!!! Every girl wants to be a princess, right??? tee hee

They just made the announcement of Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding of 29 April.

I just realized that I'm going to have to tell my DW that we'll be in Grand Turk on the day of the royal wedding. I wonder if Jack's Shack has a TV? We don't arrive until 1PM so maybe the wedding will be over by the time we get off the ship. Has anyone seen what time the ceremony will take place?

I just realized that I'm going to have to tell my DW that we'll be in Grand Turk on the day of the royal wedding.

Since Princess does have BBC news, I would say there is a great chance they will have the wedding live.

In your case, before you put down that final payment on the cruise, make sure you did not get an invitation to the wedding in the mail.

I just realized that I'm going to have to tell my DW that we'll be in Grand Turk on the day of the royal wedding. I wonder if Jack's Shack has a TV? We don't arrive until 1PM so maybe the wedding will be over by the time we get off the ship. Has anyone seen what time the ceremony will take place?

It's traditional that most of the English royal weddings, and English society weddings in general are in the morning, which means very early morning for us in the U.S. My guess is that Grand Turk (And sailing towards the port) it would be shown very early morning.

We are considering a transatlantic that leaves Ft Lauderdale on the 27th. I told DH if I couldn't watch the wedding I wasn't sure if this was the trip for us. After all, there is another transatlantic that leaves on May 1st.

Whether the event is available on a Princess ship will depend, somewhat, on the actual location of the ship. It is not uncommon for Princess vessels to be in areas where they cannot get TV broadcasts because of limitations of satellite coverage. We have been on many cruises where TV signals are unavailable for days at a time (especially on transatlantic or transpacific cruises). Of course with DVRs it is always easy to record any TV program and watch it after a cruise. We sometimes return from ships to find more than 50 hours of stuff on our DVR (great invention).

Hank

We sailed during the olympics and got nothing, maybe they will show it maybe not. If this is so important not miss I say just stay at home and watch it live. Or you can always come home and find it on youtube.

I'm definitely taping it to be on the safe side. I was up early for the Charles and Diana wedding and even the Andrew/Fergie wedding. There's just something special about British royal weddings! I imagine it will be an early rise off the shores of Costa Rica but we are early risers anyway. I hope the ship makes a big fuss over it with special events and a celebration!

Archived