Miniscule Shower Stall

Chocolate Princess

Just returned from a fabulous cruise on the Island Princess but found the shower stall minuscule! Last time on the Island we had a suite with a bathtub so we didn't notice, but this time with the balcony double it was a tiny stall. It seemed smaller than the one on the Caribbean Princess. Is it because they had to make the ship fit in the Canal?

They're small but adequate. I'm "fluffy" and have never had a problem with the shower area after many, many cruises.

LOL I love your description. I'm "fluffy" too, probably more so then you and while it was small it didn't bother me that much. Although I learned to put a towel on the floor behind the toilet cause the curtain didn't work that great on that end. I was on the Sapphire Princess but they must be the same cause you can't get much smaller then what we had.

Go to Target and buy a plastic holder with suction cups. I just used it on my two week cruise and it worked very well. just attach it to the shower wall and use it for your soap, shampoo etc. Otherwise you do the drop oops drop slide slip dance while retrieving everything..

Just returned from a fabulous cruise on the Island Princess but found the shower stall minuscule! Last time on the Island we had a suite with a bathtub so we didn't notice, but this time with the balcony double it was a tiny stall. It seemed smaller than the one on the Caribbean Princess. Is it because they had to make the ship fit in the Canal?

Remember square inch added to the shower would have to be taken from somewhere else.

We just yesterday disembarked the HAL Maasdam and tomorrow board the Emerald for several cruises this winter. I did not want a bathtub on the Maasdam (I don't like to shower in bathtubs), and so we had a simple inside cabin. The shower was huge (by cruise ship standards) which was lovely for leg shaving but required us to hold on to the safety bar while the ship was at sea...we could have gotten hurt if we had fallen in the shower.

We commented how that was NOT an issue on Princess. Those showers are so small that, in rough seas, you might be thrown against a wall (a whopping 2" fall), but unless you're totally tossed out of the shower, there is simply no place to go if you fall.

We just yesterday disembarked the HAL Maasdam and tomorrow board the Emerald for several cruises this winter. I did not want a bathtub on the Maasdam (I don't like to shower in bathtubs), and so we had a simple inside cabin. The shower was huge (by cruise ship standards) which was lovely for leg shaving but required us to hold on to the safety bar while the ship was at sea...we could have gotten hurt if we had fallen in the shower.

We commented how that was NOT an issue on Princess. Those showers are so small that, in rough seas, you might be thrown against a wall (a whopping 2" fall), but unless you're totally tossed out of the shower, there is simply no place to go if you fall.

Good point. I don't like the tub/showers, particularly on HAL for a slightly different reason: the sides are so high that getting in and out, especially in heavy seas, can be downright dangerous. I always have to hold on tight to the towel bar and hope it's secure.

I'll take a Princess shower stall any day, as the step up into a mini suite tub is just too high for me...and if we do have a mini suite I have to pack a small folding step stool to get in and out of the tub. (I also needed to pack the folding step stool for my elderly mother when I take her on a cruise)

Hi, Jeannie!

So your winter cruising is now well underway! Hope you enjoyed the Maasdam, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the Emerald. We're about 30 days away from our own cruise now, and I'm so looking forward to it. Just got through Thanksgiving, which was wonderful (had our family of 13 at our house). I'm having a LARGE party (50+ people :eek: ) next Saturday that I'm focusing on now, and then I can start all my packing. Again, Bill and I are sorry that we'll be passing you and Greg between cruises, and we still hope that next year our itineraries will match better!

Enjoy your warm and wonderful vacation!

The real challenge is how to pick-up dropped bar of soap in a Princess shower?

Hank

I don't use soap - shampoo makes a perfectly good body wash. I bring my own bottle as the little supplied ones are easy to drop like the soap (buy it after flying in) - a 2 inch by 4 inch by 8 inch (pretty standard size) fits in the upper rack in the shower. I just take one good handful (or squeeze a good dollop on my hair), put the bottle back, and that is enough to lather up all over with both hands available for the job.

Good point. I don't like the tub/showers, particularly on HAL for a slightly different reason: the sides are so high that getting in and out, especially in heavy seas, can be downright dangerous. I always have to hold on tight to the towel bar and hope it's secure.

That is exactly why we don't cruise HAL that often. The alternative to the tub/showers are inside cabins which all have showers only. We booked a suite on an upcoming cruise on the Noordam because that class of HAL ship has both a tub and a shower stall in the suite cabins.

• 4 months later...

I'm a platinum Princess Cruiser, and always get a balcony cabin with the miniscule shower. Things are always sliding off the shelf, or there isn't enough room for their products (my DH uses)and the items I bring. Look what I found. It's perfect. Its from favors by serendipity and is a shower caddy made especially for cruise ships:

http://www.*******************.com/favors_product_pages/p-SWR-501.html

Can you provide more information as to where I can purchase a folding step stool?

I'll take a Princess shower stall any day, as the step up into a mini suite tub is just too high for me...and if we do have a mini suite I have to pack a small folding step stool to get in and out of the tub. (I also needed to pack the folding step stool for my elderly mother when I take her on a cruise)

Your link isn't working, but I think you're talking about a suction cup shower caddy? They have them at Target. I bought one about 18 months ago and take it on EVERY cruise with me. I love being able to put my own shampoo, condition and razor in it. It really helps in those tiny showers.

The reg. balcony cabins' showers on all Princess ships are very, very similar in size. They're narrow, but after awhile, you get used to them and cope.

I really liked the way Cunard's QM2's showers have an extra space at the front by the faucet - they're kind-of shaped like a trapezoid instead of a square-like box like Princess'. The extra room really makes a HUGE difference.

The site mentioned earlier has a "soap pocket on a rope" as well as the velcro/suction cup shower caddy and plastic covers for the print it yourself luggage tags. Now if I can just find a coupon code for free shipping for a more modest sized order ...

Substitute favorsbyserendipty for the asterisks below. AND put an underscore between the words favors, product and pages.

http://www.********.com/favors product pages/p-spkt-502.html

Archived