2 Carry-on Bags

1937olds

We returned a few weeks ago from a 7 night carribean cruise. I took my usual one carry on bag and oversized purse. My daughter took one carry on and back pack.

I was astonished at the massive amounts of luggage people dragged on for 7 days!

In my carry on:

8 pairs underwear

2 bras (one sport, one black, wore nude one)

1 pair gym/walking shoes

1 pair black high heels

1 pair fit flops

1 swimsuit, with matching cover up and pants

black floor length skirt (formal nights)

brocade jacket (formal night 1)and fancy black wrap top (formal night 2)

3 lightweight cotton 2pc top/pants outfits

black capri pants

3 different blouses for capri pants

2 casual dresses

1 nightgown

1 gym outfit (shorts/tshirt)

tiny sewing kit (hotel type)

curling iron

In the oversized purse I carry:

make up kit

sample sized shampoo/conditioner/lotion/

medications

travel docs

normal purse stuff

1 book

1 magazine

I

Exactly !!.Your list is very good. You know that outfits are meant to be mixed & matched. The main idea is to reason out your clothing-where are you going, what will you be doing (city vs beach) when (temp. festivals etc). No need to bring everything in your closet.

Carole

I wonder what they are trying to prove by packing so light. Let's assume that the total cruise cost is $3000. If you have to pay $40 each way to check your bag, that is $60 or 2% of the cost of the cruise. I would love to know how much these people spend each day on "stuff" such as photos, drinks, tours, etc.

Also, if you restrict yourself to one bag, this means that you can not take much if any electronics such as cameras, phones, i-readers, etc.

What is the big deal about checking your bags at the airplane and at the ship and having to wait until your bags are delivered at the dock.

IMHO, even it you can do it, it is not worth the effort.

DON

I wonder what they are trying to prove by packing so light. Let's assume that the total cruise cost is $3000. If you have to pay $40 each way to check your bag, that is $60 or 2% of the cost of the cruise. I would love to know how much these people spend each day on "stuff" such as photos, drinks, tours, etc.

Also, if you restrict yourself to one bag, this means that you can not take much if any electronics such as cameras, phones, i-readers, etc.

What is the big deal about checking your bags at the airplane and at the ship and having to wait until your bags are delivered at the dock.

DON

Don,

I'm a FF on AA one of the perks is that bags are checked free & am able to board before others (overhead bin space). Yet I choose to pack a carry-on. It make my life simpler. It has Zero to do with the $ of a checked bag. My rule is that if I can't carry & lift it -it does not come. I'm very petite and hate to be weighed down by anything. As for electronics I bring my digital camera, charger, Blackberry + charger & I-Pad & charger. What more do you need?

I also think that many flyers do not check bags because they are worried about delayed/lost luggage. What we spend on "stuff" on a cruise has nothing to do with packing-except for very large souvenirs

Just my opinion but think about it.

Carole

DON

In our house, we budget for everything.....there's no blank check when we go on vacation. We pretty much plan what we want to do and I know what money we will spend as I do the research. We bought no photos last cruise.....they are way overpriced, never seem to be that good and besides, we prefer that the ones that we can keep on our *Mybook* hard drive. Shore excursions are generally not booked via the ship which has been a huge savings, and while we do drink, our bar bill for the week has never been over $200. The phone, camera and netbook with mini mouse fit in my personal item bag. As I said, my big reason for taking it with me the loss and total abuse of luggage. When my luggage was lost, the airline found it in Denver only to lose it permanently. Also, I never really wore all of the clothes that were packed, so why kill myself putting everything I didn't wear back in the closet? Unpacking from vacation is depressing enough.....much easier to dump them in the basement until wash day and put the bag in the attic until the next time. :)

Oh, and much of the time we are first class flyers as my hubby is a very frequent flyer....no luggage fees for us normally.

In our house, we budget for everything.....there's no blank check when we go on vacation. We pretty much plan what we want to do and I know what money we will spend as I do the research. We bought no photos last cruise.....they are way overpriced, never seem to be that good and besides, we prefer that the ones that we can keep on our *Mybook* hard drive. Shore excursions are generally not booked via the ship which has been a huge savings, and while we do drink, our bar bill for the week has never been over $200. The phone, camera and netbook with mini mouse fit in my personal item bag. As I said, my big reason for taking it with me the loss and total abuse of luggage. When my luggage was lost, the airline found it in Denver only to lose it permanently. Also, I never really wore all of the clothes that were packed, so why kill myself putting everything I didn't wear back in the closet? Unpacking from vacation is depressing enough.....much easier to dump them in the basement until wash day and put the bag in the attic until the next time. :)

Oh, and much of the time we are first class flyers as my hubby is a very frequent flyer....no luggage fees for us norm

ally.

Island Girl,

Ditto, amen & I agree. It has zero to do with $ and all to do with my ease in traveling

Carole

Oh come on, I do not buy the "ease of travelling" line. We travel with four suitcases and two carry ons. We can dump our suitcases as soon as we reach the airport/port so do not have to manhandle all our luggage for the whole trip all the time until we are on the plane/in our room. If we are lucky, we can also leave our luggage outside our hotel room not to be seen again until we are on board. Otherwise, we just get it collected by the porter and delivered to the transport to the ship/airport [depending on the leg of the journey we are on]. We are only handling our two wheeled carry on bags containing just medication, valuables and electricals except when we are pasing through customs and then we use trolleys. All in all, we probably do less luggage handling than those who believe that they can carry it all in carry on bags.

Sue

We will be away from home for 8 weeks, 6 of them cruising, beginning with the Baltic Sea/Transatlantic/Canada/New England. I will be needing warmer clothes than past cruises and will definitely be using my 30kg checked baggage. We are Aussies and normally head north in our winter to the warmer weather either in USA or northern Australia, so warm clothes are of little value to us normally, but I have heard that the particular cruises we have chosen will require jackets, jeans, etc. so will have to pack several times before I get it right and within the weight alloted. Darn I wish Hubby and I were smaller bodies........;) Then the clothes would be smaller huh? Our carry on luggage usually has over-night gear, medications, cameras and spare walking shoes in it, along with books and puzzles etc. to keep us occupied during the 24 hours it takes to get from here to there.

but I have heard that the particular cruises we have chosen will require jackets, jeans, etc.

I could not recommend jeans for warmth. Damp, cold jeans are not very comfortable and I would suggest that you would be better with other looser, thicker trousers. You will probably find them a little lighter to pack as well.

[NB. This is a genuine recommendation and not a continuation of the jeans in the dining room debate.]

Sue

Oh come on, I do not buy the "ease of travelling" line. We travel with four suitcases and two carry ons. We can dump our suitcases as soon as we reach the airport/port so do not have to manhandle all our luggage for the whole trip all the time until we are on the plane/in our room. If we are lucky, we can also leave our luggage outside our hotel room not to be seen again until we are on board. Otherwise, we just get it collected by the porter and delivered to the transport to the ship/airport [depending on the leg of the journey we are on]. We are only handling our two wheeled carry on bags containing just medication, valuables and electricals except when we are pasing through customs and then we use trolleys. All in all, we probably do less luggage handling than those who believe that they can carry it all in carry on bags.

Sue

Sue, it sounds like you have it under control and it works well for you. That's great. As the wise man says "to each his own". For us, it is easier to travel with less stuff. We know that it's not for everyone, just as traveling with 4 suitcases & 2 carry-ons isn't for us.

I don't think any of us are trying to talk anyone else into packing light. We are simply discussing what we do, why, and how we do it - tips for each other & anyone else that may want to pick up on them.

Please don't begrudge us for packing less and having a great time as well. No one else on the ship can tell the difference between us & the "many bag packers" once on board. We dress just as nicely and have just as good a time as everyone else. We simply choose to live a simpler life. For me, less stuff=more fun (less to worry about).

Granted we get a little carried away in the planning phase, but, for me, that is part of the fun. As I plan my packing I'm thinking about every day of the upcoming cruise, what I'll be doing, what I'll be wearing, where I'll be. It triggers happy memories of past cruises, and, that wonderful anticipation of a great time soon to be had.

As far as the cost of checking luggage - it's not a big deal - I just indicated that I could have the ship do my laundry for the same amount spent on baggage fees. As far as spending money onboard, that has nothing to do with this. Personally, I purchase the drink packages (which are in no way cheap). While I don't save money getting them, they makes life much simpler (actually, I at least break even on those). While we watch what we spend, but, if we want to do something we'll do it.

After all, we're on holiday, the point is to enjoy ourselves...

Cheers & here's to a great cruise!

PS - my DW thinks that I should offer a packing/traveling light class on-board - I doubt that anyone would really care about such things on a cruise...

Three weeks prior to any trip I ask-pls pull your clothes etc and leave on bedroom bench. Two week prior I remind him. 1 week prior I REMIND HIM AGAIN. 2 days prior I take him by the hand and pull his clothes. Then when he is not looking I cull the selection and get it all into his Travelpro roll-on and small tote. It works

Carole

That's awesome! Not to sound sexist (the great leadin that allows me to make sexist comments), if I were to try that for my DW, well, let's just say, I'm not going to try, would have to drop the D from DW if I did. That is something that a wife can do for a husband, but, I seriously doubt that many happily married men would attempt for their wife. (keyword=happily married).

TravelPros - awesome! We have a couple of those also, they are our staple for carryons - I even got a compliment from a Flight Attendant on mine once :) Love our Plat 5 rollaboards, I wish they still made that line of them.

OK, gotta go trail pack, my DW is out for the morning shopping ;)

Sue, it sounds like you have it under control and it works well for you. That's great. As the wise man says "to each his own". For us, it is easier to travel with less stuff. We know that it's not for everyone, just as traveling with 4 suitcases & 2 carry-ons isn't for us.

I don't think any of us are trying to talk anyone else into packing light. We are simply discussing what we do, why, and how we do it - tips for each other & anyone else that may want to pick up on them.

Please don't begrudge us for packing less and having a great time as well. No one else on the ship can tell the difference between us & the "many bag packers" once on board. We dress just as nicely and have just as good a time as everyone else. We simply choose to live a simpler life. For me, less stuff=more fun (less to worry about).

Granted we get a little carried away in the planning phase, but, for me, that is part of the fun. As I plan my packing I'm thinking about every day of the upcoming cruise, what I'll be doing, what I'll be wearing, where I'll be. It triggers happy memories of past cruises, and, that wonderful anticipation of a great time soon to be had.

As far as the cost of checking luggage - it's not a big deal - I just indicated that I could have the ship do my laundry for the same amount spent on baggage fees. As far as spending money onboard, that has nothing to do with this. Personally, I purchase the drink packages (which are in no way cheap). While I don't save money getting them, they makes life much simpler (actually, I at least break even on those). While we watch what we spend, but, if we want to do something we'll do it.

After all, we're on holiday, the point is to enjoy ourselves...

Cheers & here's to a great cruise!

PS - my DW thinks that I should offer a packing/traveling light class on-board - I doubt that anyone would really care about such things on a cruise...

A very BIG DITTO

Each of us has a system that works for them. If you want to bring evrything you own-fine-it's your call. As previously said I do carry-on for MY ease-both physical-1 bag 1 lift into the overhead & psychological- were my bags actually placed in the plane's hold (try worrying like that for a 8 hr flight ),will the bags actually arrive-in 1 piece-untampered?

Its an individual choice. Do what YOU are most comfortable with. Just relax its a VACATION.

Carole

• 4 weeks later...

We travel with just carry-on. We really do.

Saves us on a regular basis when there are flight interruptions. Can hop-on hop-off planes re-ticketed at the gate....

To each his own, but in general people who travel a lot, pack light.

(ps: If packing a flag a light weight nylon one takes up very little room. :D:p )

I usually travel with a carry on for one reason and it has nothing to do with paying extra to check a bag. Put simply, it arrives when I do. This is important to me when I am going on vacation or business. So, we just got home from a cruise on the Milleninum. For the first time in a long time we checked our bags. On the way home they were lost...showed up a day later. And on reflection, we could have easily done carry on for this 16 day land/cruise vacation based on what I returned to the closet unworn. Well, it is back to our tried and true habits for the next trip.

I've met too many people who have had luggage lost or delayed. It happened twice to us last year, luckily on the return part of the cruises. My carry on has all I will need for the week including 2 bathing suits, cover up, 2 or 3 prs. Shorts, 5 or 6 t shirts, basic undies for the week, lightweight Lbdresses easily glammed up for Formal nights, dressy sandals, flip-flops. I'll wear dockers, sneakers if I know I'll be doing a lot of walking, a pashima as a scarf, and I'm cozy on the plane. I know I have all that I need. We usually do check one suitcase - for snorkel gear if we will be doing lots, and for DH suit. (although renting a tux is a huge space saver!) if that checked bag was lost/delayed he could rent and we could rent snorkel gear. If I wasn't going to a warm place I know I couldn't do it. I couldn't do it when we went to Europe last summer either. Bit it gives me huge peace of mind knowing I'm goog to go when I step on board, no anxiety waiting for luggage to arrive..

We travel with just carry-on. We really do.

Saves us on a regular basis when there are flight interruptions. Can hop-on hop-off planes re-ticketed at the gate....

To each his own, but in general people who travel a lot, pack light.

(ps: If packing a flag a light weight nylon one takes up very little room. :D:p )

LOL don't forget the incense - just be sure to not pack a lighter in your carry on ;)

It is the Christmas lights, the duct tape, the shoe holders, the extension cords, the do dads to stick on the cabin door, the dollar store gifts for the crew, the night lights, the framed picture of Rover or Tinkerbell, and the in room homey decorations that really take up the room. Cross those of the list and a small carry on will be all that one requires.

It is the Christmas lights, the duct tape, the shoe holders, the extension cords, the do dads to stick on the cabin door, the dollar store gifts for the crew, the night lights, the framed picture of Rover or Tinkerbell, and the in room homey decorations that really take up the room. Cross those of the list and a small carry on will be all that one requires.

No, I don't carry any of the above, and still simply can't do it with carryon luggage. I do enjoy wearing clean clothes each day though. I also really don't want to trust my silk shirts to the dry cleaners on board the ship. Ruin one shirt and I've more than paid luggage fees.

My clothes are also a larger the average man's.

We always pack all essentials and enough clothing for 3-4 days in our carry-on bags. That way, when our checked luggage doesn't make it to our destination or our connecting airport is unexpectedly shut down by an ice storm, we have only a minor inconvenience, not a major calamity.

No, I don't carry any of the above, and still simply can't do it with carryon luggage. I do enjoy wearing clean clothes each day though. I also really don't want to trust my silk shirts to the dry cleaners on board the ship. Ruin one shirt and I've more than paid luggage fees.

My clothes are also a larger the average man's.

ORV, my clothes are about average for a woman and I choose to

bring a carryon AND a regular size suitcase as well.:) I am happy we

can all make the choices that are best for ourselves. For the folks

who want to pack everything in a carryon bag? Good for them.

For those of us who want to bring a regular sized checked bag and

a carry on? Good for us.

Re-reading this thread, it sure does seem like a "luggage competition":eek:

Who can bring the most? Who can bring the least? Why does it

matter? Makes no difference to me if someone wants to pack everything

in their carry on bag or if they want to bring 10 pieces of luggage.

Pack whatever way makes you happiest:D

ORV, my clothes are about average for a woman and I choose to

bring a carryon AND a regular size suitcase as well.:) I am happy we

can all make the choices that are best for ourselves. For the folks

who want to pack everything in a carryon bag? Good for them.

For those of us who want to bring a regular sized checked bag and

a carry on? Good for us.

Re-reading this thread, it sure does seem like a "luggage competition":eek:

Who can bring the most? Who can bring the least? Why does it

matter? Makes no difference to me if someone wants to pack everything

in their carry on bag or if they want to bring 10 pieces of luggage.

Pack whatever way makes you happiest:D

Lois,

I completely agree - after all, it's a vacation, so we should simply enjoy!

.........Re-reading this thread, it sure does seem like a "luggage competition":eek:

Pretty dull competition. :p

There's a travel truth that you should pack half as much as you think you'll need in your suitcase and take twice as much money as you think you'll need into your wallet.

Archived