Gifts for cabin steward

BOAZ5

Has anyone givin an actual item to their cabin steward (in addition to their tip of course)? Was thinking this is pretty common, but wondered what items they would like. Trying to think of something that they may not have readily available. Thanks for any comments!

Cash! Do not give them a gift. They have a tiny space that they share with other people and have no room for gifts. There is no way to know what they would like, and chances are much higher they will not want/need what you get them than they will want what you give them. Instead of spending money on the gift, use that money as an extra tip. Also say good things about them on the comment card (and mentioned them by name) if they provide you with good service.

give this some thought. They contract for 6 to 8 months. 6 months is 24 weeks. If every guest gave them a gift, in the small space they have for their belongings and stuff, the gifts would overflow.

I know it is heartfelt, I know it is a warm and kind gesture, but it is misplaced. The extra cash might just be the key to their being able to send a bit more home, make their life a bit easier and truly, in the long run, be far more appreciated.

CASH!!!!!!

and if you want to give them something else calling cards will work as well

It's still cash. They can buy phone cards cheaper than anything that you can buy for them. If they want to use your cash to buy calling cards, they can get more minutes if you give them cash.

Just give them more money...that's why they work...for money. Most of these folks send cash home and they appreciate any extra.

They generally are sharing cabins that are smaller than the smallest inside cabin that passengers can get...with a stranger.

While you might appreciate getting a ham or turkey from your employer, wouldn't YOU rather have cash? I know I would! And, so do they!

It's still cash. They can buy phone cards cheaper than anything that you can buy for them. If they want to use your cash to buy calling cards, they can get more minutes if you give them cash.

I got a few phone cards from a give away from a 49er game and gave them to my steward he was very appreciative(or maybe he was thinking what a cheap american I want cash:D)so it actually cost me nothing and he got an hr or 2 free to call home

But I do agree CASH IS KING

CASH!!!!!!

and if you want to give them something else calling cards will work as well

If you have leftover minutes on a calling card, offering the card to them is a nice gesture, but it is not a good idea to purchase a card for them:

*They often have access to cheaper prices for calling cards than you will find.

*The calling card you get them may not have good value for the country to which they'd be calling.

*They may use Skype or some other type of online means of communications and have no need for the card.

Instead of buying them the calling card, just give that money as an extra tip.

Edit: I see you in your follow up post you did not purchase the cards, but had obtained them free; in that case giving them away as an extra tip is definitely a nice gesture :)

If you want to add something heart felt to your tip, here are a few ideas.

1) A thank you card or letter.

2) Get to know them. Ask about their family. (they miss their family and most love to talk about them)

3) Make a towel animal for them before you depart or have it holding their tip envelope.

4) Ask them if there is something they need.

5) Tell the hotel manager about the great service you received.

Has anyone givin an actual item to their cabin steward (in addition to their tip of course)? Was thinking this is pretty common, but wondered what items they would like. Trying to think of something that they may not have readily available. Thanks for any comments!

I've read a few threads here on the same topic and there was another suggestion that I liked (imo) in addition or instead of the cash. Some CC members asked their cabin steward if they could pick something up for them while in port.

I had thought the same thing as you when I started reading through the threads previously, and glad I found out that cash is the best gift (along with the great comment cards).

If you want to add something heart felt to your tip, here are a few ideas.

1) A thank you card or letter.

2) Get to know them. Ask about their family. (they miss their family and most love to talk about them)

3) Make a towel animal for them before you depart or have it holding their tip envelope.

4) Ask them if there is something they need.

5) Tell the hotel manager about the great service you received.

I really like your suggestions. I have often thought about a gift other then money, but the ideas you have add a personal touch.

I can only say if I worked on a ship and had such little space of my own, and had such time away from my family I would want 1)cash 2)cash 3)cash & 4)if you felt obligated to give me something, a calling card, nope wait changed my mind...I would want the cash. But hey thats just me.

Okay, I gave the recommended tip, Now I gave some extra cash tip,so now I should not give them some extra token of appreciation because they don't have any room for that? :confused::confused: Especially if it is something that is consumable.

Instead of spending money on the "extra token of appreciation" use that money towards extra tipping; that would be more appreciated than the "extra token of appreciation" in the vast majority of cases.

There's a store next to me that sells these incredible german chocolate bars for pretty cheap, I was thinking about packing one or two or those to give in addition to the tip. I'm with everyone who says cash cash cash, I completely understand that, but I figured $2 of candy might liven up their day a little.

We always give extra cash tips, but on this specific cruise (December 24-27), we have gift boxes of Ferrero Rocher chocolates for the steward and the dining team. Forty-eight candies in a clear box with a big red ribbon (consumable and sharable). They will still get extra cash tips, but we want them to have a gift on Christmas Day, a day they will spend working instead of being with their families. We spent a very small amount of money (eleven dollars each at Costco) that came out of our gift budget and will not influence what we give as tips. Hope it will brighten their holiday.

All of the ideas involving chocolate & candy sound really nice but not everyone likes chocolate or for health reasons, can't indulge. I think the best present you can give (in addition to cash) is taking the time to write a complimentary note to them or to the hotel director.

Sherri:)

We always give extra cash tips, but on this specific cruise (December 24-27), we have gift boxes of Ferrero Rocher chocolates for the steward and the dining team. Forty-eight candies in a clear box with a big red ribbon (consumable and sharable). They will still get extra cash tips, but we want them to have a gift on Christmas Day, a day they will spend working instead of being with their families. We spent a very small amount of money (eleven dollars each at Costco) that came out of our gift budget and will not influence what we give as tips. Hope it will brighten their holiday.

Okay, I have always thought giving a gift to stewards was more for the giver than the givee and have always gone along with the majority and said give cash and more of it. . . but here I'll compromise. Christmas Day is the exception. I'd give chocolates too along with cash and more of it. :D

All of the ideas involving chocolate & candy sound really nice but not everyone likes chocolate or for health reasons, can't indulge. I think the best present you can give (in addition to cash) is taking the time to write a complimentary note to them or to the hotel director.

Sherri:)

Receiving a bonus Christmas gift won't eliminate cash or positive comments/notes. I hope that if they don't enjoy the chocolates themselves, they will enjoy sharing with their friends/coworkers. I chose a well-known brand with 48 individually wrapped pieces for that reason.

How do you know????:confused:

Because the employees need the MONEY - that's MAIN reson why they're making the sacrifice to be away from their family for months on end! Talk to some of them, most are only on those ships to support their family's and miss the months away from them.

A little candy or something is fine. I never understand the inevitable mention on these threads about calling cards. If they need to call home the employees can use CASH to do so (or buy their own calling card). Why restrict them to that, let them make the decision. Not to mention you can never be 100% sure that a calling card is going to work for them when and where they are:rolleyes:

And has been mentioned time and time again here, they are living in very small quarters and don't have room or need for "trinkets" from Wisconsin or Montana or wherever................

Why not buy some of those tiny little xmas stockings, write your room steward's, waiter's name, etc, on them in glitter pen, and then put the extra money in it. Or take little wrapped gift boxes with the money inside-opening a gift -any gift- is fun on Christmas. JMO

Archived