Scoop...new ship name........ OPAL

maxxedout2

Estimated Inaugural: Spring, 2013

Cruise Line: Princess Ship Name: unnamed

Size: GRT: 139,000 Capacity: 3,600 double occupancy

Builder: Fincantieri - unspecified yard

The first of a new class of vessel for Princess and Carnival Corp.

Estimated Inaugural: Spring, 2014

The second of a new class of vessel for Princess and Carnival Corp

I get this ship paper and that wsa todays news Dec 23,2010 and they update it every day.

I have to admit that when I think Opal or Jade, I think of an NCL ship, not Princess.

Me too...I like Regal & Royal which by then would be after a few years without using the name. The poster with the idea of a new Royal having Princess Di's daughter-in-law as it's new godmother...Kate...would be nice.

HAL has done fine with recycling names & think it's a good idea for Princess to continue until they have to come up with some new ones if the fleet becomes that large.

Estimated Inaugural: Spring, 2013

The first of a new class of vessel for Princess and Carnival Corp.

Estimated Inaugural: Spring, 2014

The second of a new class of vessel for Princess and Carnival Corp

I get this ship paper and that wsa todays news Dec 23,2010 and they update it every day.

This is very consistent with the information given at our Circle party on the Emerald in October. Although many of us would like the new ships to be smaller (eg Coral/Island or Sun class ) it is great to see that they will only be not too much larger than the newer Grand class ships. Now if only the entertainment was also re-vamped:eek:

Diamond is big enough. The mess it caused in several Asian cities with the bus traffic was pretty incredible although Princess did a great job. 2300 people getting off a ship in Busan or Nagasaki is quite like a military exercise and they have it down pretty well. Lines were never over 15 minutes as I recall. How will they get a biggger ship into Busan or even Hong Kong when at 951 ft it wont fit most piers and a 52 ft draft makes it touchy in most ports. It's like the airlines buying A380s and telling the airports to expand.

Diamond is big enough. The mess it caused in several Asian cities with the bus traffic was pretty incredible although Princess did a great job. 2300 people getting off a ship in Busan or Nagasaki is quite like a military exercise and they have it down pretty well. Lines were never over 15 minutes as I recall. How will they get a biggger ship into Busan or even Hong Kong when at 951 ft it wont fit most piers and a 52 ft draft makes it touchy in most ports. It's like the airlines buying A380s and telling the airports to expand.

Where do you get a 52 foot draft from? Even the Oasis is around the typical 28 feet (give or take a few feet). As for length, they'll just go where they can fit. Lot's of ships longer than 950 now. And yes, just like airplanes, if the ports want to attract the ships, they will make their facilities attractive.

...heard this on Crown this morning.

Anybody confirm?

:cool::cool:

OPAL... you say...... Don't think so, can't see Princess naming a ship after a failed seventies sports car, even if it is a gem.... of sort.

Tanzanite, now thats a name that has made its rounds on the boards a few times.

In the Christmas spirt here are our two gems that we will throw on the table..... " The Pearl Princess " and " The Alexandrite Princess "

Merry Christmas to you all.

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Go Seahawks

OPAL... you say...... Don't think so, can't see Princess naming a ship after a failed seventies sports car, even if it is a gem.... of sort.

Tanzanite, now thats a name that has made its rounds on the boards a few times.

In the Christmas spirt here are our two gems that we will throw on the table..... " The Pearl Princess " and " The Alexandrite Princess "

Merry Christmas to you all.

John,Laura and Gaby

Seattle,Wa.

Go Seahawks

The car was OPEL, not OPAL.

The car was OPEL, not OPAL.

Opel is the German subsidiary of GM and is know for much more than a "failed 70's sports car." In fact many of the most recent Saturn designs as well as the newest Buicks come from Opel's design studios.

Opel is the German subsidiary of GM and is know for much more than a "failed 70's sports car." In fact many of the most recent Saturn designs as well as the newest Buicks come from Opel's design studios.

And now we can ask: Where's Saturn? ;)

If this is a new class of ship, then I hope they start a new series of names. There's nothing good left in the gem/metal series!

I thought it was posted awhile back that they were going to be Regal and Royal? I like those better than OPAL or whatever the next poor sister would be - Amethyst, Topaz, Tanzanite, etc.

If this is a new class of ship, then I hope they start a new series of names. There's nothing good left in the gem/metal series!

I thought it was posted awhile back that they were going to be Regal and Royal? I like those better than OPAL or whatever the next poor sister would be - Amethyst, Topaz, Tanzanite, etc.

I think Regal and Royal were posted as either suggestions or predictions.

Since Opal is my birthstone, I think it is a great idea. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived