Crown Princess Xmas Cruise - It started great, but then...

mkerner

Well, this was not the cruise we had planned for! It started off so promising - getting on board early, getting selected for the Chef's Table, great cabin location right off of the aft Terrace pool, etc.

The Meet and Greet for our group was, in my humble opinion, a success and we met so many of the members we had been speaking to through the Xmas thread for our cruise

On Xmas we had a fine dinner with others in our group in the Crown Grille...and then it all went wrong the next afternoon! We were watching football on deck and I became very ill.

I came down with Norovirus and was quarantined to my cabin for what eventually turned out to be the rest of the cruise. It was a truly horrible experience to say the least! I was finally allowed out for dinner (table for 2 only and back to the cabin) on the last night.

I will say, in spite of this bad experience, the medical staff was so professional, caring, and competent. I ended up having to cancel all of our excursions and the Chef's Table for obvious reasons. Instead I spent it on medical bills! Now we will see how good our vacation insurance is!

In spite of all of this, the Crown was a great ship and we will likely book her again in the Spring since I feel "cheated" out of this cruise. This was our first Princess cruise, but fortunately not our first overall cruise!

Not really the review I had wanted to post, but it is what it is. I really did not get to do much of what we had planned.

To all - A Happy and safe New Year.

On any of our Princess cruises when there was a Noro outbreak it was announced that medical treatment was free. If its true there is a charge for Norovirus treatment this will scare people from reporting they are sick. :eek:

On any of our Princess cruises when there was a Noro outbreak it was announced that medical treatment was free. If its true there is a charge for Norovirus treatment this will scare people from reporting they are sick. :eek:

I agree. You should not have been charged for any Medical treatment.

When I contracted Noro on RCCL, not only was the medical treatment (IV fluids, etc.) complimentary but we received a prorated credit towards a future cruise for the time that we were quarantined - 48 hrs for me & 24 hrs for DH, who never did get sick. We were informed that had we been caught leaving the room, we could have been put off the ship & had to find our own way home:eek:! In any case, I could not have gotten out of bed, much less out of the room!

Hope this does not portend an epidemic of Noro on the Crown. We sail on her on 1/29!

We were on the same cruise and did not (thankfully) get sick. We did speak to one passenger who said that one of the people traveling in her party was quarantined for two days, but other than that we heard nothing of noro. If a lot of people had gotten sick, I assume we would have been aware of it and they would have removed things like salt and pepper shakers from the tables.

We thought it was a great cruise. The ship was lovely, with beautiful festive decorations. The service was great and other than a lumpy bed (for which we got a bed board placed under the mattress), we had no complaints. We had a little bit of "roughish" seas one evening but it was not enough to require us to take bonine (but our kids needed to take it).

So sorry that anyone got sick and was unable to enjoy the whole cruise. Let's hope we all are able to go on another Princess ship in 2011 and that it is a healthy year all around!

I am very sorry that this happened to you, not just because you were confined, but also because a cruise ship cabin is the worst place to be that sick. I was sick like that for about 6 hours one night on our recent cruise (NOT noro, not sure what caused it), and the lack of privacy in the cabin was horrible. Poor DH...he heard and saw things that night that he hadn't in 27 years of marriage. :eek: I just wanted to be home...

My DH got noro on our Panama Canal cruise last November (2010) on the Island...there was a charge for the medications and the visit, but all together it couldn't have been more than $100. Believe me, if you get Noro, you won't stay away from the medical staff to save money-in fact, we saved in the long run as he had a very pricey shore excursion booked that we got a full refund on.

Thanks for all of your support and comments. I will definitely contact Princess after the weekend and see if I can get the medical Bills refunded or credited. I will also ask about a pro-rated credit for a future cruise. I hope Princess is sympathetic. I did everything that they asked to safeguard others.

My wife did overhear that there were others ill, but it did not seem like a large scale issue.

One "funny" footnote to this - in the midst of everything the toilet broke. We called the front desk ans was told someone would be there right away. Fifteen minutes late we called again, explained the situation and were told that some one would be there ASAP. After 10 more minutes, I got on the phone and informed them that I was leaving the room to use a public toilet near Sabatini's and when I was done they could shut it down and send in a sanitizing crew. They about begged me not to leave and there was a knock on the door within a minute of my hanging up!

This is definitely not a time to be without toilet facilities!

Thanks for all of your support and comments. I will definitely contact Princess after the weekend and see if I can get the medical Bills refunded or credited. I will also ask about a pro-rated credit for a future cruise. I hope Princess is sympathetic. I did everything that they asked to safeguard others.

My wife did overhear that there were others ill, but it did not seem like a large scale issue.

One "funny" footnote to this - in the midst of everything the toilet broke. We called the front desk ans was told someone would be there right away. Fifteen minutes late we called again, explained the situation and were told that some one would be there ASAP. After 10 more minutes, I got on the phone and informed them that I was leaving the room to use a public toilet near Sabatini's and when I was done they could shut it down and send in a sanitizing crew. They about begged me not to leave and there was a knock on the door within a minute of my hanging up!

This is definitely not a time to be without toilet facilities!

Hi Michael & welcome home. Glad to hear you're doing better. Please contact Princess about your medical costs. We had friends that had a similar problem & they too did not pay for any of the medical costs on board.

Well, this was not the cruise we had planned for! It started off so promising - getting on board early, getting selected for the Chef's Table, great cabin location right off of the aft Terrace pool, etc.

The Meet and Greet for our group was, in my humble opinion, a success and we met so many of the members we had been speaking to through the Xmas thread for our cruise

On Xmas we had a fine dinner with others in our group in the Crown Grille...and then it all went wrong the next afternoon! We were watching football on deck and I became very ill.

I came down with Norovirus and was quarantined to my cabin for what eventually turned out to be the rest of the cruise. It was a truly horrible experience to say the least! I was finally allowed out for dinner (table for 2 only and back to the cabin) on the last night.

I will say, in spite of this bad experience, the medical staff was so professional, caring, and competent. I ended up having to cancel all of our excursions and the Chef's Table for obvious reasons. Instead I spent it on medical bills! Now we will see how good our vacation insurance is!

In spite of all of this, the Crown was a great ship and we will likely book her again in the Spring since I feel "cheated" out of this cruise. This was our first Princess cruise, but fortunately not our first overall cruise!

Not really the review I had wanted to post, but it is what it is. I really did not get to do much of what we had planned.

To all - A Happy and safe New Year.

Sorry that it went down hill for you, but I do have a concern that you left Christ out of Christmas.

Archived