Angkor Wat tours

cbb

I have tried doing some research on CC, (threads are dated) on line and with TA on tours to Angkor Wat. We would like to do a pre-cruise tour from Bangkok Feb, 2012. Not sure I/we feel adventurous enough to DIY. Thanks, and have a wonderful and peaceful New Year. c

By far and away, the highlight of our two weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia was Angkor Wat. We were on a land trip, flying from place to place, but at one point we considered taking a private tour of that area. There is a company called General Tours, that offers two and three night packages - picking you up at the airport, hotels, meals, guides, etc. If you have the time, a cruise on the Tonle Sap is amazing, as well. Thousands of people living on boats, going to school and church on boats, etc.

Benita,

2-3 day tours sound exactly like what we're looking for. Our TA says he steers people to A&K tours but I'm not finding an A-W tour on their website. Since the O cruise is 25 days an extra 2-3 days is perfect. Thanks so much for your rec'd.

If you check Oceania brochure for 2010-1011 Winter. You will find they do a pre crusie tour to Ankor Wat. We did a pre cruise tour 5 yrs ago on Holland America, they did it through Shorex.We where only 2 couples who where on the tour.We had 2 guides from shorex with us at all times.We stayed at the Raffels Hotel de Angor first class all the way.

I would check with Oceania before you do anything. There full brochure for your cruise will be out around March.Listing all the pre and post tours and hotels.

I've been avidly watching the"land programs" for the Asia cruises 2011 and so far haven't seen an Angkor Wat for"Exquisite Empires" which is akin to our Feb 2012 ("Imperial Interludes") cruise. The only one listed for II is one that leaves at Shanghai and flies to Xian and then on to Beijing but there is nothing for Angkor Wat. I do see that in some of the other Asia trips there is an Ang Wat excursion. That would be one ship's tour I would definitely sign up for. Here's hoping that by writing it in CC, Acrusa's words will make it happen!!! (happy dance!)

WE are booked on the Feb 10, 2012 Sultan, Kings and emperors. Hoping that Oceania will have an overland Angkor Wat tour leaving Saigon and catching up in Cambodia. TIme will tell. If not we plan on doing it after we get off the ship in Bangkok.

Jack1- We would be doing our AW tour pre-cruise from Bangkok. Do you know the company you would tour with? I have a rate inquiry into Exotissimo for a 3 day, 2 night tour but it won't include air. Perhaps if you and I and others keep talking about it, someone at O will see this and add it for us!!! Wouldn't it be sad to be so close and not be able to get to see A-W because we didn't know what tour company to trust.

I have tried doing some research on CC, (threads are dated) on line and with TA on tours to Angkor Wat. We would like to do a pre-cruise tour from Bangkok Feb, 2012. Not sure I/we feel adventurous enough to DIY. Thanks, and have a wonderful and peaceful New Year. c

We did a pre-cruise tour of Angkor Wat a year ago using Journeys-Within

(http://www.journeys-within.com/) and were very pleased. This company is based in Siem Reap and is run by an expat American couple (they also have an office in Calif.) In addition to organizing tours, they run a wonderful small hotel and have started non-profit projects in the area. They will design the tour to your interests and can make suggestions. The guide they assigned us for the whole time was very good; he knew how to avoid the worst of the crowds and how to get the best photographic angles.

Since our cruise started in Singapore, we flew there firstand stayed at the hotel in the airport; we then left our big bags in storage at the airport and flew Silk Air (regional company of Singapore Air) to Siem Reap and back. We did this in part because we had heard several concerns as the Bangkok airport.

May I recommend ISRAM Tours In NYC.We used them on a pre cruise years ago to India before our cruise across the Indean Ocean.I would check them out. They use top first class hotels.And they are very personalized tours at resonable prices.

We have recently been on a land tour of Vietnam and Cambodia, including Angkor Wat. The whole trip was arranged through Destination Asia including flights from Bangkok to Vietnam, internal flights, bus journeys, flights from Siem Reap back to Bangkok, transfers, hotels and passes for the temples at Siem Reap. It was an excellent service.

Have printed them out and put them into my "dump document".....thanks again!

Hi cbb,

I think I am there somewhere in your "dump document". I consider it an honored to be "dumped" by you :)

We also did a land tour that included AW, but I think you already have enough suggestions. It's a trip well worth doing.

Paul

We did a pre-cruise tour of Angkor Wat a year ago using Journeys-Within

(http://www.journeys-within.com/) and were very pleased. This company is based in Siem Reap and is run by an expat American couple (they also have an office in Calif.) In addition to organizing tours, they run a wonderful small hotel and have started non-profit projects in the area. They will design the tour to your interests and can make suggestions. The guide they assigned us for the whole time was very good; he knew how to avoid the worst of the crowds and how to get the best photographic angles.

Since our cruise started in Singapore, we flew there firstand stayed at the hotel in the airport; we then left our big bags in storage at the airport and flew Silk Air (regional company of Singapore Air) to Siem Reap and back. We did this in part because we had heard several concerns as the Bangkok airport.

Comcox-

Thanks for the info. We are considering the same pre-cruise option as you. We would start in Singapore and take Silk Air. It looks like there is only 1 flight a day to Siem Reap, and 2 on the return. Is that what you found? Did this tour company you used make the flight arrangements and did they recommend you leave your big luggage at the airport? Was there a cost to hold your luggage at the SIN airport? How many days did you spend in Angkor Wat? We will probably only have 1 1/2 days (since the inbound flight to REP leaves at 2:35 pm).

Any info would be appreciated

I had absolutely no difficulty flying on my own from Bangkok to Phnom Penh, and then the next day flying from Phnom Penh to Siem Riep, the airport for Angkor, and returning a couple of days later. You will have absolutely no difficulty once you are there finding many competent guides. I spent the first day walking around Angkor Thom, much more interesting and much more extensive than its more famous neighbor, then going for a short ride in the afternoon to Angkor Wat. The next day I traveled around the countryside. Interesting thing about Cambodia and Vietnam: they are much safer than most other tourist destinations, including Bangkok -- and Miami.

Bill

We stayed at the Raffles Hotel in Siem Reap. An incredible stay and a wonderful way to see history. The pool was to die for after walking around the ruins at Angor Wat all day. We were on a package deal with Viking Cruise Lines, so cannot recommend a tour guide. We had an excellent guide though who made the ruins and the lives of the Cambodians come to life. He warned us about the monkeys and one of our tour group got to close, the monkey stole her camera, took it up a tree and destroyed it. Everyone else made sure that they did not get too close to the monkeys. The children are adorable and it is hard to say no to what they are trying to sell you. Have a terrific time.

Hi Paul,

Yes indeed, I have dumped you but then I dump only the best! Do you have a rec'd for me for A-W? Glad to correspond with one of my favorite e-migos. c

c,

The company we used was Passion Asia (out of Bangkok) - you can Google them. It was a 2 or 3 week Laos/Cambodia/ Vietnam trip, so it may not be a good comparisson to what you are looking for, but you can check them out as to what they may offer.

We were happy with all aspects of the trip.

Paul

Thanks everyone,

This trip is 13 months away but I'm trying to get info now. I have sent a couple of inquiries to tour companies rec'd here just to get an idea of cost. Right now it is looking like $800-$1000 pp, including air and a 4 star hotel. As I said, this is one of the places that I wish O would do a pre-cruise tour although flying in and out doesn't seem that difficult to do and making hotel reservations is easy these days thanks to the internet.

Hey Paul, where are you going next? We are on an April b2b Athens to Rome, then back to Athens but the second one goes to several places in the Middle East that we've not seen before so we're pretty excited about that. You and I discussed the El Alamein optional so here's hoping we can get enough people to sign up...we need CintiPam's husband! c

c,

We are trying out the Marina and are very excited about it. Plus we are leaving from our home port - that's a first for us (no flights, just a cab ride to the ship). We are doing a couple segments on Marina after that.

Hope your trips to El Alamein and AW work out to your satisfaction :)

Paul,

I don't know from where the cruise ships leave SF but I've always wanted to sail under the GG Bridge and see SF in the background. I've only done it once when we took a tour boat under it and then turned around fairly quickly. Have gone to the Marin headlands and taken pix from there. How wonderful for you to get to sail on Marina and only a taxi ride away! What an excellent adventure! What a sweet life we have.

How wonderful for you to get to sail on Marina and only a taxi ride away! What an excellent adventure! What a sweet life we have.

Hear, hear!

We will sail under the GG but we leave at 8 PM (in February), so the bridge will not be clearly visible, if at all. It's not fully lit like the Bay Bridge is.

In the past we have walked across it, sailed under it in a sail boat and flew over it in a small plane - all wonderful adventures.

We are lucky and we do appreciate it :)

We are on the 1/30 - 2/15 Nautica Hong Kong to Bangkok trip. Towards the end we are going to Angor Wat leaving from Saigon. It was all arranged by Oceania and we are flying and staying at the Le Meridian hotel. Let me know if you need more info.

Jay

Archived