Recent trip on Insignia Rio to BA

Caroldoll

I am just giving a fast recap of my trip. The Insignia is ABSOLUTELY LOVELY LOOKING. The decor doesn't get better.

In Rio the port was a complete chaos. It was very hard to get to the ship, but when we got there the check in was very fast. It was not Oceania's fault about the chaotic condition of the port. It took at least 2 hours or more to get the luggage. This was the fault of Insignia. The people bringing the bags walked very slowly and only brought one at a time. I watched the process for quite a time while waiting for my luggage. They are definitely not motivated.

The butler came to the room about two hours after we checked in to introduce himself and tell us about the restaurants, but didn't tell us anything about how to work the TV or anything else. I was stressed about getting the clothes put away, so I was distracted...my fault. However, it turned out that the bathtub was plumbed backwards, so I waited and waited for warm water when you simply had to use the wrong handle to get it! More frustration. Had to call the butler.

The rooms are rather small. We had a Vista Suite. There was no separate shower and the tub was deep--unfomfortable! There are absolutely no drawers (just a few small ones). Plenty of hangers and fairly good closet space..fairly as most of the closets are double hung.

The room stewardess was nice and polite but didn't do anything special..hand to find her for most things.

The hors d'ouvres are only so-so and you have to order each day. One day I forgot to order until about 3 PM and when I called the butler he said "it is too late, so you will have to take what I give you". O.K. enough said.

The breakfasts are tasteless and uninspiring. I suppose there is everything, but no "specials". Boring. The cooks who make the omelets are not well trained and the process is very slow.

The martinis are really funny--they are absolutely thimble sized. They cost $8 and you can swallow them in two sips--well close to that. If you go to Martinis on happy hour they are O.K., you get two for one and then they are regular size.

The wine is O.K.

The staff are very polite...just very polite. There is absolutely no name recognition.

They sent a comment card about four days in to the trip and when we responded...then they took note and tried somewhat more. Actually then a few officers and a few staff remembered to remember.

There are no shuttles.

If you don't have a ship's tour you wait at least 1 1/2 hours to be able to get off the ship, so don't schedule anything private for before about 10 A.M.

Most of the staff left at the end of this trip to go to the Marina, so it leaves one to wonder who is left and how the service is now.

For the Owners Suites and the Vista Suites they have a special dinner one night and the Executive Chef cooks. It was fabulous and the wines there were outstanding. This is a nice touch.

The orchestra and the small group are fine, but the string quartet are simply awful. Out of tune and very weak.

The tea is lovely, but not a proper tea...just tea bags.

Most of the time there are bars, but no bartenders.

Trivia was lovely.

The CD was outstanding--Willie Ames. Wonderful. He remembers names. Probably one of the only ones on the staff with the exception of the Manager of Food and Beverages. The Captain is not visible. Makes the obligatory functions.

The food was soooo salty that I personally could not eat. This was probably a good thing as I actually lost weight!

We have done Regent and had mostly the same impression. There I felt that it was a lack of motivation as they can not get tips...but on Oceania they can get tips and things didn't get better. Must be a lack of training on the part of Apollo.

They STRONGLY SUGGEST at the end of the cruise that you are off at 8, but DEFINITELY by 9. Wow!

These were my impressions. I will be glad to answer any express questions that anyone might have.

Thanks for the feedback and hope the staff issue is not true (all going to Marina)

What was the issue in Rio and how long did it take you to Embark?? Any tips here as we are on the 14th around the horn trip.

It doesn't sound as if Oceania is for you from your comments. But I'm puzzled by your description of a Vista as "small". 900 sf for a cabin (even if that includes your deck space) is not what I consider SMALL. If you were saying that a concierge cabin (but not a suite) is small -- I would agree.

I'm also surprised at the lack of name recognition because we've been recognized by staff even after a long wait between cruises. I wonder if you might have been on a cruise where the crew members were relatively new to the ship. On our Panama Canal cruise in 2003 we did a B2B where most of the crew from the first leg left when we arrived in Costa Rica. The lack of experience in the new crew members who boarded there was palpable although they quickly got into the groove. But there were a rough first few days, especially with the dining staff!

We're booked on the Marina's maiden voyage which leaves in two weeks. DH has been remarking he is especially interested in our first evening meal onboard. It will be fascinating to see how things work for that first meal, first full cruise, maiden voyage. I'm sure it will be fine, ultimately, but we do expect some funny stories out of those first few days.

Kay

We were on the same cruise or perhaps a cruise in a parallel universe.

While there were many new staff on board it only took them a day or two to get into the swing of things.

We were in a deck six balcony cabin and had plenty of room. We are always amazed as to how much storage is built into a "small" cabin. We always have a drawer or two left over. We do travel with only one 25" suitcase each and a small carry on.

We have never needed anyone to "tell" us how to work a TV or shower.

We were surprised how many staff remembered us from previous cruises and saw lots of old friends. We don't expect to have everyone greet us by name, they are staff, not our friends! Our only sad moment was hearing Carlos, the restaurant manager was leaving at the end of the cruise to go to Regent.

As to Boarding, it is Rio! We felt Oceania did its best. The brochure indicates the time frame for delivery of luggage and it was delivered on time. Did Caroldoll expect a porter following her on board with her luggage?

We like the food so well in the GDR we turned down offers of adl reservations in the specialty restaurants to eat there.

The drinks in Martini's and the other bars are standard size. I think everyone has gotten used to supersized drinks at home or in some bars.

We found the Chilean wines interesting and good.

In the ports using tenders we had no trouble getting on an early tender if we asked although we did not have organized tours in most ports.

We agree Willie Ames did a great job as cruise director.

It sounds like this was not a good match for this cruiser and perhaps she should consider other lines.

It's been my experience, with quite a few cruises under my belt, that when a ship docks and is cleared by customs, they make an announcement that guests are now free to leave the ship and you walk off if you'd like to (they don't know if I'm going to walk to town, get a cab or meet a private driver). While ship organized excursions gather in a meeting area at a designated time and leave accordingly with the group, various lines often will say if you have a private excursion, meet at such and such a place at such and such a time in. They do this in an attempt to get their excursions off first and to perhaps even convince guests that taking their excursion is a better way than independent. I have taken private excursions 90% of the time and have walked off the ship without fail to meet my car/van/guide as soon as the ship was cleared and available for us to leave. We have never been held up by any line. I don't need to tell them what I'm doing. Even in Russia this past summer - no problem with getting off. How did O prevent guests from getting off the ship on this particular cruise??? Perhaps the issue on this cruise was more relative to the fact that it was South America???? Anybody out there with past experience with O in Western Med and getting off the ship when it was cleared? I understand they may have a drop more control when you are tendering in a port, because some lines will give out a ticket number for those very first ones off the ship and in the first tenders (especially with excursions from the cruise line). After those first tenders, they will then open it up for everyone else. However I am really surprised to hear about this.

Our only sad moment was hearing Carlos, the restaurant manager was leaving at the end of the cruise to go to Regent.

OH NO say it is not so :eek:

Carlos is one of Oceania best assets

We also have had some of the crew remember us from previous cruises

Always nice when you board to see some familiar faces

Oceania may not be right for everyone

Lyn

I'm with Lyn. I'm devastated to hear that Carlos is leaving!

He was SUCH an asset to O.

Agreed,Carlos always remembered our names, from cruise to cruise, and made sure we were happy.

By the way, if someone did not have enough closet space in a Vista Suite--

they definitely brought much too much clothing.:D

I'd really like to hear from those who just returned from this cruise or others who have taken other O cruises re not getting off the ship until 10AM if you have independent shore excursions. Did O absolutely prevent you from walking off the ship once it was docked and cleared earlier??? I'm really curious as we are on May 17 Barcelona to Rome with three private excursions scheduled for approx. 9AM. As I said in my earlier post, I have never never had a problem getting off the ship once cleared in all of my last ten cruises on various lines over the past four years in various ports and countries. Thank you.

I'd really like to hear from those who just returned from this cruise or others who have taken other O cruises re not getting off the ship until 10AM if you have independent shore excursions. .

Never had a problem walking off the ship once it was cleared

Tendering is a different story

ship's excursions have priority but if go to the lounge & get a tender ticket they will call independent travellers in between the tours

In Rio--it is Rio. The port is just an inconvenient port. Nothing to do with O. It is quite a walk to the ship from where you leave your luggage and if the ship has the third berth--then it is very long. It is extremely hot and humid and that is just a fact of lifel.

For those of you who have lots of cabin space, I do hear the closets are better situated in some of the other suites. Everything fit. Most of the closets were double hung and if you didn'thave short skirts or slacks, but rather longer dresses, it just was not that good.

Right on..no ship is perfect. Right, we go to Flemings here which is a nationwide steak house and the martinis are only $6 at happy hour and are a regular sized glass...guess I am spoiled.

On the debarkation almost all ports were tender ports, so you can not just walk off...you wait until the ships tours are gone. Since we had private tours, we ended up having to reschedule them for later--just an inconvenience.

I am sure the poster whose name all the crew remembered was indeed a more memorable person than I.

My husband seems quite happy, thank you..I don't complain. My review were facts as I saw them and opinions only. Everyone should not have the same opinion.

Thanks for all of you being so charming. Great board

Thanks for your insights. We are looking forward to our turn in Rio next week.

Agree on the Martini pour -- regular glass about 2/3 full on our last Regatta cruise. My DW also complained on that. I am more a G&T fan.. :)

Wow, I was sad to hear your critique of the string quartet. As I understand it, they are the same group that was on Nautica this past while -- we got to know them on the cruise of the Black Sea -- and they told us that 3 of the 4 of them would be continuing on Insignia, with one new addition (obviously). My husband is a lifelong violinist and it was a highlight of each day to sit in the upper hall and relax with our cocktail (seemed like a big enough "pour" for us, but that is just MHO) and enjoy the music. They had a nice repertoire and could do sets of show tunes and light pops music alternating with classical arrangements.

If they have indeed declined in quality this much, I am going to be profoundly sad. Caroldoll, I assume you are a regular classical/light classical music fan??? Please, tell me it isn;t so!!

And let me add hastily, I am not disputing your strongly stated opinions, to which you are well and truly entitled.

Caroldoll,

Regarding your comments about the non-involvement of the captain -- if it's the same captain who came on board INSIGNIA last July, I would have to agree. It may not be by now. But this captain as I recall was Italian and came on board a couple of days after we boarded in Dover. He really was invisible. No captain's tables. Really not interested in passengers. While I do not normally become the captain's pal, I do think it's part of his job to be more available.

And I have yet to see a string quartet on board that pleases me (and that includes the quartet that was on our last cruise although I understand they left the ship about the time we did in August) -- no doubt I'm spoiled because my father was a professional violist who was a member of two of the top string quartets in the U.S. in the 1930s and I grew up hearing chamber music in our home played but really top notch professionals.

And I personally don't care for most of their arrangements ... I realize that I have classical music tastes and they are trying to appeal to a broader spectrum. I've seen enough posts on CC where people say they don't like classical music, so it's going to be quite impossible to please us all.

But arrangements are one thing and ability is another.

So even though I disagreed with your comments about the size of a Vista, I don't disagree with everything you said! Or, of course, your right to voice your dissatisfaction.

In Rio--it is Rio. The port is just an inconvenient port. Nothing to do with O. It is quite a walk to the ship from where you leave your luggage and if the ship has the third berth--then it is very long. It is extremely hot and humid and that is just a fact of lifel.

For those of you who have lots of cabin space, I do hear the closets are better situated in some of the other suites. Everything fit. Most of the closets were double hung and if you didn'thave short skirts or slacks, but rather longer dresses, it just was not that good.

Right on..no ship is perfect. Right, we go to Flemings here which is a nationwide steak house and the martinis are only $6 at happy hour and are a regular sized glass...guess I am spoiled.

On the debarkation almost all ports were tender ports, so you can not just walk off...you wait until the ships tours are gone. Since we had private tours, we ended up having to reschedule them for later--just an inconvenience.

I am sure the poster whose name all the crew remembered was indeed a more memorable person than I.

My husband seems quite happy, thank you..I don't complain. My review were facts as I saw them and opinions only. Everyone should not have the same opinion.

Thanks for all of you being so charming. Great board

The answer is that if your nice to the crew they tend to remember you!:)

I am just giving a fast recap of my trip. The Insignia is ABSOLUTELY LOVELY LOOKING. The decor doesn't get better.

In Rio the port was a complete chaos. It was very hard to get to the ship, but when we got there the check in was very fast. It was not Oceania's fault about the chaotic condition of the port. It took at least 2 hours or more to get the luggage. This was the fault of Insignia. The people bringing the bags walked very slowly and only brought one at a time. I watched the process for quite a time while waiting for my luggage. They are definitely not motivated.

The butler came to the room about two hours after we checked in to introduce himself and tell us about the restaurants, but didn't tell us anything about how to work the TV or anything else. I was stressed about getting the clothes put away, so I was distracted...my fault. However, it turned out that the bathtub was plumbed backwards, so I waited and waited for warm water when you simply had to use the wrong handle to get it! More frustration. Had to call the butler.

The rooms are rather small. We had a Vista Suite. There was no separate shower and the tub was deep--unfomfortable! There are absolutely no drawers (just a few small ones). Plenty of hangers and fairly good closet space..fairly as most of the closets are double hung.

The room stewardess was nice and polite but didn't do anything special..hand to find her for most things.

The hors d'ouvres are only so-so and you have to order each day. One day I forgot to order until about 3 PM and when I called the butler he said "it is too late, so you will have to take what I give you". O.K. enough said.

The breakfasts are tasteless and uninspiring. I suppose there is everything, but no "specials". Boring. The cooks who make the omelets are not well trained and the process is very slow.

The martinis are really funny--they are absolutely thimble sized. They cost $8 and you can swallow them in two sips--well close to that. If you go to Martinis on happy hour they are O.K., you get two for one and then they are regular size.

The wine is O.K.

The staff are very polite...just very polite. There is absolutely no name recognition.

They sent a comment card about four days in to the trip and when we responded...then they took note and tried somewhat more. Actually then a few officers and a few staff remembered to remember.

There are no shuttles.

If you don't have a ship's tour you wait at least 1 1/2 hours to be able to get off the ship, so don't schedule anything private for before about 10 A.M.

Most of the staff left at the end of this trip to go to the Marina, so it leaves one to wonder who is left and how the service is now.

For the Owners Suites and the Vista Suites they have a special dinner one night and the Executive Chef cooks. It was fabulous and the wines there were outstanding. This is a nice touch.

The orchestra and the small group are fine, but the string quartet are simply awful. Out of tune and very weak.

The tea is lovely, but not a proper tea...just tea bags.

Most of the time there are bars, but no bartenders.

Trivia was lovely.

The CD was outstanding--Willie Ames. Wonderful. He remembers names. Probably one of the only ones on the staff with the exception of the Manager of Food and Beverages. The Captain is not visible. Makes the obligatory functions.

The food was soooo salty that I personally could not eat. This was probably a good thing as I actually lost weight!

We have done Regent and had mostly the same impression. There I felt that it was a lack of motivation as they can not get tips...but on Oceania they can get tips and things didn't get better. Must be a lack of training on the part of Apollo.

They STRONGLY SUGGEST at the end of the cruise that you are off at 8, but DEFINITELY by 9. Wow!

These were my impressions. I will be glad to answer any express questions that anyone might have.

Sorry OP, but I was waiting for the "Gottcha" at the end of your review.

We have taken 5 cruises with O and never ever have we had to wait for the ship's tours to leave before we were allowed to. I am often the 1st in the Lounge and I acquire our tender tickets and we have always been in the 1st tender off the ship usually with the early tour groups. We have always been able to walk off the ship as soon as it has been cleared. By the 3rd day the CD recognizes us, smiles and mentions the "early bird" and off we go. These have been Carib cruises, Baltic, and all parts of the Med. Unless something drastic has changed from Sept you all should be able to leave the ship quickly and easily.

First, we did the Barcelona to Rome cruise, and the ship cleared fairly quickly and I was out the door quickly. I don't remember if we had tender ports (Portofino, maybe?), but if so, I think I made a quick getaway as well. As cbb says, if you go to the lounge early on tender days, you'll get off quickly - probably with the excursion folks.

Carol:

We're doing Buenos Aires to Rio on Feb. 19th. Will you be writing anything more about your cruise and the various ports? We've been on Oceania before, so know what to expect ship-wise, but this will be our first trip to South America, so I'm trying to get more info on the ports, excursions, if BA port is a zoo like Rio, and the like. I know you mentioned no shuttles set up by Oceania, but did you see any city-run ones? I've read that there's at least one in BA, but would like to confirm. We are independent folks who like to venture out on our own if it's safe.

Thanks.

I'm not Carol and I haven't done Rio-BA, but I have done BA-Valpo.

It's been 10 years (exactly!) since we did that cruise and we left from BA but had no problems in the port at all. It was a short cab ride from our hotel and our cab led a taxi convoy to the port.

At that time we had no concerns about going around BA on our own. Met up with a member of another email list who gave us some hints about what to do while we were there.

We did a land trip to Rio way back in 1974. We felt perfectly safe there at the time, but a friend who took a trip there (not on a cruise) about 10 years later and by then she did not feel safe at all.

The string quartet tried to play non-classical music. There was a woman and three gentlemen. Very, very out of tune (sadly) and very weak sounding. I love strings and I love all music including classical. I would have been very happy if they were good! However it was music and it was pleasant.

For the poster who mentioned that we should be nice...we are very nice no matter if someone is not nice and my husband is extremely generous. We are not crabby or contentuous people.

On the ports. Wow...this was something. It is very hot and humid in Brazil. We did not do much in Rio because of the negative reputation and had a private guide who followed the ship to all the ports down as far as Uruguay. The only port we liked was Buzios. When we got off the tender, I almost went back as it looked like Tijuana, but one street in...it was fabulous. Very artsy and wonderful cutting edge shops. We loved it. We did not prefer much at any of the other ports. There was one that is a Unesco site and it was very interesting including an old slave plantation. The isle port we rented a speed boat and went swimming in secluded coves. We tend to do unusual things. We loved our guide and never felt threatened, but he had his partner there and there were a group of us and all was well. I did not have the same good feeling in Rio.

Uruguay was wonderful--Puente del Este. Quite a wonderful place, but it resembles California. Great place. Montevideo is not wonderful and it was New Years Eve and full of very unusual people who threw water bags. Someone on the ship was almost robbed. My husband is 6' 5" so we are not usually targeted.

Buenos Aires is a wonderful place. A New York with European charm. Their deal there is to give you back counterfeit money. Our guide told us how to tell the difference and to only Take Radio Cabs. We did well the one day we did not have the guide and driver. It is about 40 minutes to the airport from town and the airport is the worst airport I have ever been in. I am glad we paid an extra hotel night so we would not have had to sit in that congested, crazy, hot airport with no services...just a food counter. Lots of shops though.

I feel as though I am forgetting something.

Oh yes, the Captain is Fulvio something, Italian from Sicily. He was quite nice to my husband as he too is Sicilian with an unusual typical Sicilian last name. However he never showed his face but that one time. I think they should be somewhat visible.

I will check these posts and see what I left out.

Almost all ports are tender ports. If you are not on a ship's tour, you wait. We are early people. We had to wait! I am not talking about walking off the ship.

Rio Grande is not worth even getting off for. I forgot to mention that.

In BA, I don't think it is unsafe, but there are not many police. I did not see any shuttles. A taxi is not expensive, but we were warned only to use the ones that say Radio Cab.

I am sorry some of you feel I am bashing Oceania. There were good things and bad things. I don't feel that a person should have to be mealy mouthed and say everything is roses when it just wasn't in THEIR perception. The ship is a lovely ship. Otherwise, it is what it is.

Oh yes, the Captain is Fulvio something, Italian from Sicily. He was quite nice to my husband as he too is Sicilian with an unusual typical Sicilian last name. However he never showed his face but that one time. I think they should be somewhat visible.

Seems like he could be the same captain we had July 23-August 10. At least "our" captain was also Italian, and also pretty much invisible.

Archived