Why is cruising from Baltimore more expensive?

I don't think the bridges are high enough for the cruise ships to get under. The bay bridges are about 184 feet or so.

Which ships? Enchantment as well as other ships go under it weekly.

It must be supply and demand..(I have not cruised from Baltimore, but live 40 minutes away) The port services clients from Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia- who rather not fly to port, get a hotel, etc. If there was an itinerary that fit my schedule and needs, I would pay the extra in a heartbeat! SO much better than flying to Florida or PR, or driving the 5 hours to NJ/NY...

I also think the lack of competition is key...is it Carnival that also sails from Baltimore?

How big is the price difference?

Curious.

Well, I am glad I asked my question regards to the difference in cost from Baltimore instead of Boston or NJ. I feel that somewhere in everyone's postings today I have my answer but I sure hope that RCCL considers the costs for US ports being a little too high. Look forward to some specials but thank you so much to all of the CruiseCritic experts that weighed in their answers to my question.

Have a good upcoming weekend everyone!

CincinnatiGal

You say the costs being a little too high, but the ships are sailing full. They only charge what the market will bear. If ships sail full, pricing goes up. Supply and demand. It's simple economics

I've been doing a little research on this (on CC and elsewhere). It seems that when NCL was home-ported in Baltimore, they used the C & D canal on their Canada / New England itineraries.

So, it can be done, by at least some cruise ships.

WOW I HOPE RCCL IS READING THESE POSTINGS ON THIS LINK. Yes, I understand Business Economics that some people do not think I am knowledge based in for cruise issues. I am a business leader in advanced science not cruising but simply it just seems strange that a ship like the Enchantment that does not have all of the big cruise ship features and style can charge these kinds of rates out of Baltimore. I booked this cruise a long time ago for my anniversary in hope that the rates might be coming down. I started this link to just get some answers and it appears that others do wonder some of the same things that I do. I appreciate everyone's comments because as an intelligent business woman I can also learn some good points from everyone's comments. Sometimes on CruiseCritic people like to show they are more elevated in cruise knowledge than others in a way that is not made in the best of tone. I accept I am not a cruise travel expert and that is why I ask questions. Thanks again to everyone that helped me learn something in this link.

CincinnatiGal:)

I too wish that prices out of Baltimore were lower, but what can you do? The cost to RCI to operate the ship, on a per-passenger basis, certainly figures into what they charge. But, as others have pointed out, the prices are truly set by what the market will bear, and what the competition (if any) is charging.

Right now, to my knowledge, RCI is the only company offering cruises from Baltimore to Bermuda, as well as to Canada/New England. I believe that Carnival will soon be competing on that first route, so I would expect to see the prices come down a bit, just so that RCI can remain competitive.

I too wish that prices out of Baltimore were lower, but what can you do? The cost to RCI to operate the ship, on a per-passenger basis, certainly figures into what they charge. But, as others have pointed out, the prices are truly set by what the market will bear, and what the competition (if any) is charging.

Right now, to my knowledge, RCI is the only company offering cruises from Baltimore to Bermuda, as well as to Canada/New England. I believe that Carnival will soon be competing on that first route, so I would expect to see the prices come down a bit, just so that RCI can remain competitive.

Carnival Pride does Bermuda from Baltimore, now.:)

Enchantment out of Baltimore holds quite a few less guests than the larger ships out of NY/Cape Liberty. If you owned a ship and had to take 1000 passengers to a destination or 1500 passengers, don't you think you could save the 1500 a few bucks. Its economy of scales.

I am sailing from Baltimore on October 6 to New England and Canada. Can anyone explain to me why a 9 day cruise is so expensive out of Baltimore versus NJ or Boston?

thanks for your thoughts and opinions

Cincinnatigal:)

You need to make certain you are comparing apples to apples as most of the Boston Cruises are 7 days when Baltimore is 9 days. That alone can result in a cost a variance.

Other factors :

• Supply vs demand
  • Itineraries vary which impacts the Port Charges
  • Fuel costs vary depending on port of departure and itinerary
  • Total Ships maxium passenger capacity varies depending on the size of ship

Carol,

Do you ever recall any cruise ships that have gone thru the C&D?

Thanks.

R&D

I have never cruised out of Baltimore! :eek:

Once out of Philadelphia, three times out of Bayonne.

I would do it in a heartbeat, though..........just tell me when *we* are going! ;)

(but every time I would drive down to visit DS at UMd, I would make careful mental note of the correct exit for the Cruise Terminal! :D)

WOW I HOPE RCCL IS READING THESE POSTINGS ON THIS LINK. Yes, I understand Business Economics that some people do not think I am knowledge based in for cruise issues. I am a business leader in advanced science not cruising but simply it just seems strange that a ship like the Enchantment that does not have all of the big cruise ship features and style can charge these kinds of rates out of Baltimore. I booked this cruise a long time ago for my anniversary in hope that the rates might be coming down. I started this link to just get some answers and it appears that others do wonder some of the same things that I do. I appreciate everyone's comments because as an intelligent business woman I can also learn some good points from everyone's comments. Sometimes on CruiseCritic people like to show they are more elevated in cruise knowledge than others in a way that is not made in the best of tone. I accept I am not a cruise travel expert and that is why I ask questions. Thanks again to everyone that helped me learn something in this link.

CincinnatiGal:)

Cinci -- you were given the right answer over and over....the Enchantment is so expensive because we, the guests, choose to accept that price. That's it. No other magical reason exists.

If the ship was empty, then the prices would come down. And you would see price drops.

I have been booked on November 2011 Enchantment for a while and have seen nothing but price increases. If the ship was empty, prices would drop.

If you want to be on the ship, then you accept the price. We have done many ships and we are choosing to pay the inflated price. Why -- the itinerary. Leaving from Baltimore and not having to fly to Florida (driving to the port and saving thousands on airfare) Enchantment has an enclosed adult solarium -- Explorer doesn't. Baltimore is easier to get in/out of than Cape Liberty, NJ -- better parking in Baltimore.

I saw some good deals on Carnival Pride out of Baltimore. If you want a cheaper cruise, try that. ;)

Archived