Why is cruising from Baltimore more expensive?

Supply and demand? Different lines? Different ships?

Don't forget to include non-cruise expenses like how expensive it is to travel to the port, how expensive a hotel the night before and/or after is, how much parking costs.

Don't forget to include non-cruise expenses like how expensive it is to travel to the port, how expensive a hotel the night before and/or after is, how much parking costs.

is that fair for RCCL to consider that into determining the fee?

Cincinnatigal

I am sailing from Baltimore on October 6 to New England and Canada. Can anyone explain to me why a 9 day cruise is so expensive out of Baltimore versus NJ or Boston?

thanks for your thoughts and opinions

Cincinnatigal:)

Are all of these choices going to New England and Canada? Then it is probably because Baltimore is farther away burning more fuel to get there.

Check the prices out of NY. Thye are drivable from Baltimore or even via train.

Cincinnatigal

If you don't feel it's fair, don't book it. If enough people feel like you do and don't book, they'll have to lower the price to fill the ship. Supply and demand. Supply of cabins and no demand, lower pricing to create a demand for those cabins

Are all of these choices going to New England and Canada? Then it is probably because Baltimore is farther away burning more fuel to get there.

Check the prices out of NY. Thye are drivable from Baltimore or even via train.

I second this - not only is Baltimore further south from Canada than Boston or NJ as the crow flies, but the ship would have to go all the way south through Chesapeake Bay before looping back up the Atlantic. Definitely a speed/fuel consumption issue.

I'd recommend Amtrak to get up to an alternate port.

Cincinnatigal

Not sure about fairness, but any cruise line will consider all kinds of factors when determining how much to charge their customers. The market will determine the price and if proximity to the cruise port, lower lodging and transportation costs effect the ultimate cost of a cruise vacation, the lines will adjust their cruise fares accordingly. Cruising to Bermuda or Canada for 7 days from Boston is frequently more expensive than a 7 night cruise to the Bahamas or the Caribbean until you factor in the cost of airfares or driving and staying at a Florida port. Proximity to the port, and convenience play a significant role when people are choosing a cruise and some will willingly pay a premium to avoid the hassles that they associate with flying to and from a distant port.

I am sailing from Baltimore on October 6 to New England and Canada. Can anyone explain to me why a 9 day cruise is so expensive out of Baltimore versus NJ or Boston?

It takes approximately 10 hours or so to sail down the Chesapeake Bay to open waters Where as the Ports of New Jersey / New York is just a short distance from open waters. That being said it takes approximately 24 to 28 hours transit time from Baltimore to N.J. / N.Y. .So the additional transit time does consume more fuel which adds to the cost of the sailing.

It takes approximately 10 hours or so to sail down the Chesapeake Bay to open waters Where as the Ports of New Jersey / New York is just a short distance from open waters. That being said it takes approximately 24 to 28 hours transit time from Baltimore to N.J. / N.Y. .So the additional transit time does consume more fuel which adds to the cost of the sailing.

Was just considering this same question in regard to a trip to Bermuda. Sorry, not buying this as the reason for Baltimore being more expensive compared to Cape Liberty. Possibly to Canada but not other places. Ships don't sail on a straight line but on a curve which is the best route on a spherical surface (Mother Earth). So you actually might not have to cover as much mileage as you think.

Sailing to Bermuda from Baltimore is lots more expensive than going from Cape Liberty. IMHO First reason: RCI has less competition in Baltimore (only Carnival) and lots of people do not want to come anywhere near the NY/NJ area so they are willing to pay more. Second reason: RCI cannot get a Voyager class ship into Baltimore and uses Enchantment instead. In order to make up the relative difference in revenues they charge more from Baltimore to cover the basic operating expenses of the ship. Explorer from Cape Liberty being a much larger ship generates a better return.

Happy cruising.

Explorer leaves from NJ. Enchantment from Baltimore. Explorer is a much larger ship with more cabins to sell. If you were pricing balcony cabins, they are limited on the Enchantment. I've sailed on both and Baltimore is a great port to sail from.

Like most things-----supply and demand.

Alan

Enchantment is roughly 10% more than Explorer for the two October sailings. ($3458 EN vs $3134 EX in a D1)

I assumed that you were talking about some HUGE difference.

The Jewel is the same price - per night, which is the only way to compare a 7 night with a 9 night cruise - as the Enchantment.

:rolleyes: :)

Try an interior. EN is only 5% more than EX............and much less that JW.

I always wondered if maybe Baltimore's port charges to the ship are higher and thus passed on? Could never figure out why sailings from New Jersey would be cheaper (to Caribbean, I never looked at New England), but they do tend to be.

Will be sailing from Baltimore for the first time this summer.

Rachel

It takes about 8. We've done it. Ship left Baltimore at 4 and went across the Rt 13 bay tunnel before midnight. Canada and New England cruises all cost more than Caribbean cruises.

I think you have the right idea. There are far more ships sailing from New York than Baltimore. More "beds to fill" from the NY area.

Don't cruise ships that go from Baltimore to points north (such as a Canada / New England itinerary) sometimes go thru the C & D Canal? Wouldn't that shave off quite a few miles and hours of transit time?:confused:

I don't think its any more complicated than the cruise line will charge whatever the market will bear (check the price for a Xmas week cruise some time). Conversely, they will lower the price as far as is needed to fill cabins. The cruise business model is based on nearly full ships. Occasionally you will hear, or see a post, from someone that claims their recent cruise was only half or 2/3 full - urban myth, it doesn't happen.

Example, just off a 12 day Enchantment (Dec. 6th departure) out of Baltimore, where about 3 weeks before the cruise the price dipped as low as $399 = about $1000 total. That's about $85 per day, PER ROOM - can't cruise for much less than that.

Well, I am glad I asked my question regards to the difference in cost from Baltimore instead of Boston or NJ. I feel that somewhere in everyone's postings today I have my answer but I sure hope that RCCL considers the costs for US ports being a little too high. Look forward to some specials but thank you so much to all of the CruiseCritic experts that weighed in their answers to my question.

Have a good upcoming weekend everyone!

CincinnatiGal

http://www.pennways.com/CD_Canal.html

We have often wondered why the Canal is not used for the northern cruises from Baltimore? The Canal does not really spit you right out in to the Atlantic. It puts you in the Delaware river, just south of Philly. So how much time/fuel/pilot charges are really saved? A question we can not answer. The Canal draft is advertised at 40 ft. Enchantment, according to RCCL, is 25 ft. We would like to do that cruise thru the Canal if RCCL ever offers one.

Rick and Deirdra

http://www.pennways.com/CD_Canal.html

We have often wondered why the Canal is not used for the northern cruises from Baltimore? The Canal does not really spit you right out in to the Atlantic. It puts you in the Delaware river, just south of Philly. So how much time/fuel/pilot charges are really saved? A question we can not answer. The Canal draft is advertised at 40 ft. Enchantment, according to RCCL, is 25 ft. We would like to do that cruise thru the Canal if RCCL ever offers one.

Rick and Deirdra

I'd like to know, too. Thanks for the link.:)

It still seems like it would be a considerably shorter route. But I didn't consider pilot charges and the like. Hmm.

I found some good info on the canal here:

http://www.mpasafepassage.org/safe.html

This site lists it as 35 feet deep. But it still sounds do-able to admittedly-ignorant me.:o

Anybody know if cruise ships use the C & D Canal out of Baltimore?:confused:

Well, I am glad I asked my question regards to the difference in cost from Baltimore instead of Boston or NJ. I feel that somewhere in everyone's postings today I have my answer but I sure hope that RCCL considers the costs for US ports being a little too high. Look forward to some specials but thank you so much to all of the CruiseCritic experts that weighed in their answers to my question.

Have a good upcoming weekend everyone!

CincinnatiGal

CG, I don't think that you understand the business model.

A business, (in this case, Royal Caribbean), will always charge what the market will bear. If people don't book the cabins at the prices that RC lists, RC will lower them.

But as long as people are paying RC's prices, then the prices are either just right or too low. Not too high.

:)

Archived