Your cruising preference?

Set yearly budget, but unlimited time. Which cruising option is for you?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Set yearly budget, but unlimited time. Which cruising option is for you?

• 1 week in a suite
    • 2 weeks in a balcony
    • 3 weeks in an oceanview
    • 4 weeks in an inside

Scenerio: If you had a set budget to cruise each year, but unlimited time options, which would you choose?

A. 1 week in a suite

B. 2 week in a balcony

C. 3 weeks in an oceanview

D, 4 weeks in an inside

D-3 weeks OV. More time

Our preference, at least for Caribbean cruises, is inside. We like to cruise 3-4 times per year, and would not be able to if we did balconies.

From our experience, balconies are over rated. We've usually end up with smokers or noisy neighbors (or both!) so were not able to enjoy the balcony.

We realized that at no extra charge, you can find a quiet, smoke-free place on deck with the exact same view.

Ocean view seems to be the worst deal out there. You have to pay more, but don't get any fresh air, and on some of the ships, you actually have to stand on the bed to see out the porthole.

I voted for three weeks in an Oceanview.

We've never stayed in a suite. We don't need the space.

We've had a balcony one time. Hardly used it.

Never stayed in an inside. We want natural light in the room.

We always (except for the one balcony) stay in an Oceanview. We like to have natural light and to be able to look out the window.

If it was just me, I'd take the balcony, which is what I checked. When DH cruises with me, we need a suite because he gets up around 5am, and I'm a late sleeper, so we need drapes/walls around bed to keep light away so I won't wake up.

He is also a smoker, so this gives him a nice large balcony to read and sightsee before I get up.

I voted for the balcony option.

BIL recently had an inside room, and it was a disabled room (meaning it was enormous) and it was still awful. No fresh air. Bleh.

Had an OV on Majesty and it was OK. I could make do with that if I had to.

Suites are great (we've actually always lucked out and got a JS on our longer cruises), but we only do them when prices drop and we can get a super cheap upgrade.

We love balconies. I don't really want to be around people on the pool deck (or anywhere else), so I can just veg out on my private balcony. Never had problems with smoke or noisy neighbors either.

I have to agree with suezyq50. I would take the ocean view for 3 weeks. I don't think I could do an inside cabin 4 weeks in a row or 4 time a year. I need daylight,lol:p:D

I agree, 4 weeks in an inside would make me a bit claustrophobic. I would trade down from a balcony to an outside for the extra week though!

I'm a balcony person but I chose 4 weeks inside. A better choice would be 3 cruises a year (1 every 4 months) 1 week balcony and two weeks inside.

I realllly love the aft balconies and have been lucky enough to have one a couple of times, but if it comes down to going on a cruise or not, I can make do in any cabin. If an inside gets me on the ship for four weeks instead of one, I am there. I 've never had a problem finding a quiet spot somewhere on an open deck to read... the only thing that I miss in an inside is being able to watch the wake late at night or the sunrise in my pajamas!:)

When on a cruise ship the cabins are for sleeping, personal needs, changing clothes and storing souvenirs.

If money wasn't a consideration for cruising for 4 weeks (which we try to do every year) I would go for the suite. Had a suite once on Holland Americqn which was the most fantastic cabin we have ever had. It's the only cruise that we spent a lot of free time in our cabin or on the balcony as if we were in a hotel room. I remember everything about the cabin but nothing about the rest of the ship or cruise.

Like having a balcony but never felt like we used our balconies enough when we booked them to justify the additional cost. The only advantage of an OV is knowing if it's day or night.

Scenerio: If you had a set budget to cruise each year, but unlimited time options, which would you choose?

A. 1 week in a suite

B. 2 week in a balcony

C. 3 weeks in an oceanview

D. 4 weeks in an inside

D for us.

More cruises works better for us right now. Those aft balconies are terrific and we would love to seek them out but if going inside means we can go more often then abolutely, yes!

I voted for three weeks in an Oceanview.

We've never stayed in a suite. We don't need the space.

We've had a balcony one time. Hardly used it.

Never stayed in an inside. We want natural light in the room.

We always (except for the one balcony) stay in an Oceanview. We like to have natural light and to be able to look out the window.

This is exactly the way we feel. Had an aft balcony one time and didn't really care. We are trying an inside for the first time next week, in part because of the comments I have read here on CC and in part because it is such a short cruise I don't think it would matter if we didn't care for it. Kind of hoping we will like it, though, and want to do it again.

4 weeks in an inside room!!

My husband and I went on our first cruise last August. 9 nights in an inside room on deck 10 and we were pleased as punch! We were hardly in the room--out all night at The Chamber or Maharajas or Cafe Promenade, and up early and headed right for the pool. We barely slept let alone spent time lounging in the room. When I'm asleep, it doesn't matter if I have a window or balcony. We would much rather save the money and cruise longer.

I'm with BigTex on this one. Give me the suite. One week of pure luxury, time in the CL with all the lattes I can drink by day and happy hour in the evening. Plus the added benefit of a great meeting place for our entire group, and a balcony that is big enough to be able to take great pictures of everyone together. And while I've never done the fishing and fireworks, it would make our Oasis trip in June very entertaining...

Liz

Also from Houston

actually, a bad day of cruising is still better than the best day at work

Archived