Review-Last Run of Mariner OTS on the Mexican Riviera 1/9 to 1/16 2010

Darkwolfe

I'm going to load this review with a lot of pictures so be ready for that! This was a good cruise overall with very little negative issues at all. Enough of that and off with the review! Enjoy!

-------------------------------------

Jan 8, 2011

Travel and San Pedro, CA

We were too wound up to sleep so barring catnaps during the day on the 7th, we hit departure time without a night's sleep

We had two flights to reach San Pedro from Kansas City. United did a pretty good job of leaving on time and arriving early. Both flights were at least 20 minutes ahead of schedule on arrival. We left KC at 6:30am local and reached LAX at 9:30am local time. Getting through Denver for our connection was easy and even LAX wasn't too bad either.

5364882151_787ea2af10.jpg

Flight 1 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

5364882969_232f664d86.jpg

Flight 2 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Booked our hotel transfer with Super Shuttle. We called from the baggage claim to let them know we were there and they picked us up within minutes. Good quick trip from LAX to the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. You can tell California is having some issues though. Highways are rough and the Scout boards look like they've been shot at a few times as they were not working well.

Crown Plaza hotel has been reviewed so many times on CC it's crazy. Suffice to say, the Crowne Plaza is a nice comfortable place to relax for the night. It is not overly fancy, but it was quite clean and the staff was very friendly. It is extremely convenient for cruise passengers since it's literally just a block or two from the port.

Two restaurants are within walking distance that we used. First off, the Grinder. We stopped in there for lunch at about 11am. Service was quick, food was plentiful and very good. Four people ate a good meal for about $10 each. Service from our waitress, Lisa, was fast and very cheerful.

5365499454_cf62ccb3d6.jpg

The Grinder Cafe in San Pedro, CA by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

5364892289_ba1b7b683c.jpg

Lisa at the Grinder by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

The second place was the "Green Onion" about a block away from the Crowne Plaza. The food there is good and the portions are huge. Plan to split appetizers and in fact those will easily make a full meal and then some. Service was quick and friendly. It is not border style Mexican if that is what you are after however. It's considerably milder than most, which I found a bit odd, but not at all bad. They have good fresh made salsa and guacamole for fans of those. (Unfortunately I had a camera issue and lost the pictures I took at the Green Onion)

We'll be meeting up with some of our Cruise Critic friends at about 8pm this evening. So ends day one, we'll be boarding Mariner in the morning!

1-9-2011

It's that day! Checking out of the hotel and boarding the ship! Always one of the more exciting days on a cruise vacation. It can sometimes be one of the most challenging too. However, that was not the case today.

We went back to the Grinder for breakfast since we had a good early lunch there yesterday. Once again we were served by Lisa. A cheerful smile and prompt service accompanied good food to start the day.

Next, we kicked back in the rooms for an hour or so before checking out. Once we did that, we hopped the hotel shuttle over to the pier. Mariner's previous passengers were already off and only a few hundred remained to catch transport to whereever they were bound. I'd heard from someone that just disembarked that the ship cleared fast this morning. I took that as a another good sign.

5364889285_e47d6deaca.jpg

A San Pedro morning by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

5364890677_7b710d5b58.jpg

First sight of Mariner OTS by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Sure enough, when reached the port a little past 10:30, we only waited around for about 15 minutes before check-in. Quick and neatly done, then we parked it in the priority boarding area until they were ready for us to board. At 11:30, boarding began.

5365507588_8a203f05a2.jpg

Just about to board by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

We wandered the ship a little bit at first, but hunger began to appear so it was time to hit the Windjammer. I considered the Promenade Cafe since I knew the WJ would be jam-packed, but we all wanted something more than sandwiches, so up to the WJ we went.

The eternal honey-stung chicken was available and very good. WJ Staff was kept hopping with the crowds and seats were at a premium, but we managed to find a spot and enjoy the meal. There was one announcement from the staff to ask everyone to please not linger since so many people were wanting to eat there today.

Meal finished, we headed off to find a place to light until the cabins opened up. We had 7620 and 7618 hump balconies and they were in great shape and we were glad to see them. For me it meant I could shed the laptop case I'd been carrying around!

Shortly after that, we were introduced to Clever, our stateroom attendant. Clever was not one of those invisible types. He was always around and always interested in how your day was. Never without a smile or time if you needed something. You told him what you needed and it was done quickly. One bag was slow being delivered that contained someone's meds in our group. We expressed concern about the delay and Clever went hunting for it on the spot. It didn't take him long to find it an get it to the room.

5365036231_07553115c3.jpg

Clever by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

The remainder of the day before dinner consisted of wandering the ship, getting a drink or two, and watching the activity in the port nearby. At 5pm sharp just as we were preparing to depart, all the activity in the port came to a very sudden halt. No working past 5 for those folks. It just stopped and they were gone.

Dinner time arrived and we were introduced to William (waiter) and Abdulaziz (assistant waiter). Seemed to be a bit of a slow start but we learned that William was training a new member of the waitstaff in addition to his normal duties. Given that detail, no complaints from us at all.

5365510934_0bc47e3c2e.jpg

Mariner main dining room by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

5365037135_c67093d673.jpg

William by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

As you can tell, William's sense of humor was in full force all week. This fellow kept us in stitches night after night.

Dinner was extremely good. The prime rib was excellent and you could happily singe your nosehairs clear with the accompanying horseradish. Yet another thing that has begun well today and give me high hopes for the remainder of the week.

At 11pm we watched the parade down the Promenade. It only lasted about 15 minutes but it was high energy and very amusing. Caught the whole thing on video. (I'll post the youtube link once it finishes uploading)

That's as far as I'm going to get tonight. Caught a sinus infection on the way home (BOO!!!!) that I'm trying to beat so I can get back to work tomorrow.

More later! :)

Good start on the reveiw...hope you feel better soon. I just about got over my sinus infection so know where you are coming from with regards to not feeling well.

hi everyone

glad you enjoyed your cruise, we are on mariner on 1st feb, we board at valparaiso and sail around the horn to brazil.

really looking forward to it, been on mariner once before around the caribbean.

can i ask a few questions?

who was your captain and is he staying on to take the ship around the horn.

dose anyone know whether the majority of the staff are staying on or will there be lots of new staff

any other tips welcome!

thanks sue

hi everyone

glad you enjoyed your cruise, we are on mariner on 1st feb, we board at valparaiso and sail around the horn to brazil.

really looking forward to it, been on mariner once before around the caribbean.

can i ask a few questions?

who was your captain and is he staying on to take the ship around the horn.

dose anyone know whether the majority of the staff are staying on or will there be lots of new staff

any other tips welcome!

thanks sue

Captain Flemming will be your captain.

From what I heard many of the staff are staying. There are a few that I heard of that will be at the end of their contract, but I didn't hear of a mass exodus of staff because of the change.

So far so good Darkwolfe (sorry about the sinus infection!). I am done with my review, if you wish to read it (3800 words) the link is included!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=27547888#post27547888

hi

thanks for your quick reply, read your report too very interesting, picked up a couple of tips think we will send our dress clothes to be pressed, as sure they will need it after 6 days travelling before we reach ship! look forward to seeing the photos!

thanks again sue

Great Review. I was trying to get on that cruise as a crew guest. It didn't pan out... but my co worker was on.

I wonder if I checked you in on the 9th?

If you were checking in Plats, D, D+, and suite guests you might have. We all checked in right at the beginning and I do recall my check-in agent making comment about that too so it might have been you indeed. :D

I had on a black Stetson if that helps.

1-10-2011

I'd not slept more than about 5 hours when I woke to the beginnings of light in the East. Stayed comfortably planted in the bed watching through the balcony door until the sun cleared the horizon. At that point, it was time to start the day.

5365532288_2e55cdd5ea.jpg

Pacific Dawn by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

The decision was made to have breakfast in the MDR today. The staff was prompt and courteous as expected and wasted no time collecting orders and bringing the food out. The food was good and plentiful.

Seating was a little different than the evenings as they were seating people in the first available locations that would take your group. We wound up at a table for ten that was effectively a cross section of America. People quite literally from both coasts and the Heartland. It made for an entertaining meal.

This being a sea day, it was time to pull one of bionicman's stunts and wander around taking pictures. I only took one camera with me this trip so my shots are not up to studio level, but they'll do a good job of showing where we were and how things went.

5365534840_5d150a5a69.jpg

Pool deck at sea by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

It was still a bit cold for the pool deck. Some diehards were out though.

5364922271_629717ddfc.jpg

100_0014 by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

5365537844_d5762b6349.jpg

Schooner bar on Mariner OTS by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

5364926105_d20f08e846.jpg

Mariner Bridge by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Today was also the official M&M. That was an extremely large crowd. I saw people I knew and people I didn't. Found some I was looking for and didn't find some others (rummenroman, where were you guys??) I got found by a few too, which was all good. Had a great time just kicking back and talking with folks for a couple of hours. Didn't win anything though. (Rats)

Went to lunch in the WJ. Food was still up to par so far as I was concerned and the mob scene was much better than yesterday. Still quite crowded and honestly, I realy think the WJ on the Voyager class ships is smaller than on the Radience ships. If it's not, it certainly manages to give the impression. Still and all, everybody was well fed and content.

Caught a catnap or two in between wanderings, then we headed down to Studio B for the Ice under the Big Top show. That was very well produced and the skaters did an exceptional job with the performance. You're not allowed to shoot video or flash photography so I shot what I could. Most of the pictures are not that great since my camera is primarly for video, but it caught a few at the right moment. This is a show well worth the seeing and Studio B was full of applause and cheers for the performance.

Tonight is the first formal night. Having hauled along formal wear to the last three cruises, I elected to simply take an extra nice shirt and call it a day. Given what the airlines charge for baggage, it was a pretty good choice.

If you were checking in Plats, D, D+, and suite guests you might have. We all checked in right at the beginning and I do recall my check-in agent making comment about that too so it might have been you indeed. :D

I had on a black Stetson if that helps.

Yes... I was checking in the Plats, D and D+. That was me. Glad you had a good time. I remember your hat.

We were all quiet sad to watch her sail away for the last time.

Yes... I was checking in the Plats, D and D+. That was me. Glad you had a good time. I remember your hat.

We were all quiet sad to watch her sail away for the last time.

I got one last picture of Mariner from about 10k feet as we flew out of LAX on Sunday.

Make sure you follow the link back and look at the full size version. This should be within a half hour of her sailing.

5365660086_f4d05567f5.jpg

Mariner from 10k feet by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Quick question:

Were there many on your cruise who were staying on for the next cruise, the one to Valparaiso?

I personally did not hear many people talking about that. I heard mostly from folks that had been on since the previous week.

Maybe some of our other CC folks heard? Weigh in folks.

I was surprised to read that someone in your group had packed their meds in a checked bag. All meds should be in the carry-on on all trips. Could they have gone without their meds for the week had the bag not made it onto the ship? Clothes can be replaced but meds are difficult to do without or replace.

1-9-2011

[/url]

Shortly after that, we were introduced to Clever, our stateroom attendant. Clever was not one of those invisible types. He was always around and always interested in how your day was. Never without a smile or time if you needed something. You told him what you needed and it was done quickly. One bag was slow being delivered that contained someone's meds in our group. We expressed concern about the delay and Clever went hunting for it on the spot. It didn't take him long to find it an get it to the room.

Clever by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

No, maybe 20. There are about 1000 doing the full Round the Horn, 50 of whom showed up at the pier without their Brazilian visas.

Whoops!! Catch the ship when you have it or you're staying home!

I can't imagine spending that kind of money and not being completely thorough with my documentation. Just boggles the mind that people do that.

Archived