San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

First time to LA. Can anyone recommend a transfer from LAX to crowne plaza San Pedro?

It depends on what you want to pay.

A shared shuttle like SuperShuttle should be under $40+ tip.

A private shuttle from SuperShuttle (ExecuCar Express) is $55 + tip.

UberX is private and probably around $35 to San Pedro and no tip involved, but Uber is very new to LAX so I am not sure how smooth it is going.

We have a cruise that will arrive in San Pedro at 7:00 AM and leave at 11:00 PM and don't really want to do the whole Disneyland thing. How easy would it be to get to Long Beach for the day and how much would it cost? Any other suggestions that aren't too expensive would be appreciated.

Very easy to get to Anaheim from the port. Depending on the time of day it is about a 40 minute drive. Shuttles like Zippy, Karmel and 4Most Coach will pick you up. Exact cost I am not sure on, but "reasonable" is how I will characterize it.

Very easy to get to Anaheim from the port. Depending on the time of day it is about a 40 minute drive. Shuttles like Zippy, Karmel and 4Most Coach will pick you up. Exact cost I am not sure on, but "reasonable" is how I will characterize it.

I think many see the cost of DL and realize they really don't need to spend over a $100 per person, plus any food and other expenses, plus transportation. So unless you a major fan of the mouse, you might find other things to do without spending a month's rent.

What is it that you want to do? For Long Beach, you can get a taxi there. There's the Aquarium of the Pacific, Shoreline Village (many eateries there and unique shops), the Queen Mary. A free bus can take you from one place to the other along the waterfront.

Are there other places you want to see? Have you checked out the ship's excursions (like tours)? There's many guide books and tourism websites about LA but you do need to be aware it's a very widespread area (we're officially in the City, but we live over 30 miles from downtown LA and about 50 miles from the Port of LA).

If you have time to plan, you can read up on possibilities and post them here -- we'll let you know if they're doable for a day's visit.

I think many see the cost of DL and realize they really don't need to spend over a $100 per person' date=' plus any food and other expenses, plus transportation. So unless you a major fan of the mouse, you might find other things to do without spending a month's rent.

What is it that you want to do? For Long Beach, you can get a taxi there. There's the Aquarium of the Pacific, Shoreline Village (many eateries there and unique shops), the Queen Mary. A free bus can take you from one place to the other along the waterfront.

Are there other places you want to see? Have you checked out the ship's excursions (like tours)? There's many guide books and tourism websites about LA but you do need to be aware it's a very widespread area (we're officially in the City, but we live over 30 miles from downtown LA and about 50 miles from the Port of LA).

If you have time to plan, you can read up on possibilities and post them here -- we'll let you know if they're doable for a day's visit.[/quote']

We definitely do NOT want to do Disney - we are an older couple that would like a minimal amount of walking and a way to get out of the heat if necessary. I enjoy poking around in unique shops and people watching so I was thinking that Long Beach would be ideal for us. How much would a taxi cost and would you recommend booking something for the return trip to the port in advance? I assume there would be hotels in Long Beach that may be able to call a taxi for you? The excursions booked through Princess seem pricey to me and we have seen Disneyland and Universal Studios before so don't really need to see them again. My husband is an astronomy buff, but that is a night time pursuit mostly though I know that some observatories have activities during the day. Thanks for any suggestions you might be able to offer.

We definitely do NOT want to do Disney - we are an older couple that would like a minimal amount of walking and a way to get out of the heat if necessary. I enjoy poking around in unique shops and people watching so I was thinking that Long Beach would be ideal for us. How much would a taxi cost and would you recommend booking something for the return trip to the port in advance? I assume there would be hotels in Long Beach that may be able to call a taxi for you? The excursions booked through Princess seem pricey to me and we have seen Disneyland and Universal Studios before so don't really need to see them again. My husband is an astronomy buff, but that is a night time pursuit mostly though I know that some observatories have activities during the day. Thanks for any suggestions you might be able to offer.

I looked on the Princess website to see if it said you were docking at San Pedro or at Long Beach as some coastal cruises stop at LB, and it looks like SP. There should be taxis outside the terminal so I don't think you need to deal with hotels at all. I think this site might help you with figuring the fare: http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=LA

Your taxi driver may give you a business card (we've had drivers give us one and either they or one of their fellow drivers will pick us up). I like to do a search (local Yahoo or yelp) and get phone numbers for various local cab companies and program into my phone.

If you belong to the auto club, you might be able to "show and save" if you want to go to the Aquarium (we thought it was excellent).

It depends on what you want to pay.

A shared shuttle like SuperShuttle should be under $40+ tip.

A private shuttle from SuperShuttle (ExecuCar Express) is $55 + tip.

UberX is private and probably around $35 to San Pedro and no tip involved, but Uber is very new to LAX so I am not sure how smooth it is going.

Thanks for the info, will go have a look. Is it better to book or can you just pick up a transfer?

For a much lesser rate, there is a Budget Rental Car in Torrence and an Avis in Long Beach, would this be a cost effective way to go or will a taxi fare to get to the pick up location make up the savings of $40? Enterprise is a great deal except that they charge a drop fee to leave the car at LAX. Thanks for all of your advice!!

I think this is the best thread to post this, and I have searched and scanned for comments, but didn’t find exactly what I am looking for.

My spouse and I are on Ruby Princess Oct 8-15 out of Port of LA/San Pedro. We are flying into LGB day prior [a Friday], arriving 5:37 pm, and leaving out of LGB [a Saturday] at 1:35 pm. I am looking for suggestions for transfer from LGB to hotel, hotel suggestion, and transfer back to LGB.

With our late afternoon arrival on a Friday, I am thinking it might be smart to stay near LGB rather than go near the port. We will be tired, having driven from Zion National Park to LAS and flown in from there that day. So we are not interested in doing stuff or getting a nice dinner. We’ll just want to grab a bite and go to sleep; just a clean, quiet, safe place. We would then go to the port [by cab?] next morning.

I am a Marriott member, and see they have a Courtyard and a Marriott at LGB, both with airport shuttles. My TA, on the other hand, has suggested going to the BW Plus on S Gaffey and then take their port shuttle in the am; she has stayed there and said it was fine. I have read here that Crowne Plaza or Doubletree are suggested near the port. Since I don’t care about doing “stuff”, I’m not sure any of those are an advantage to us.

After the cruise, I know Princess does not offer shuttles to LGB, so I assume it will be a taxi. But are there private shuttles or car services that are better?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by DaveT65

I think this is the best thread to post this, and I have searched and scanned for comments, but didn’t find exactly what I am looking for.

My spouse and I are on Ruby Princess Oct 8-15 out of Port of LA/San Pedro. We are flying into LGB day prior [a Friday], arriving 5:37 pm, and leaving out of LGB [a Saturday] at 1:35 pm. I am looking for suggestions for transfer from LGB to hotel, hotel suggestion, and transfer back to LGB.

With our late afternoon arrival on a Friday, I am thinking it might be smart to stay near LGB rather than go near the port. We will be tired, having driven from Zion National Park to LAS and flown in from there that day. So we are not interested in doing stuff or getting a nice dinner. We’ll just want to grab a bite and go to sleep; just a clean, quiet, safe place. We would then go to the port [by cab?] next morning.

I am a Marriott member, and see they have a Courtyard and a Marriott at LGB, both with airport shuttles. My TA, on the other hand, has suggested going to the BW Plus on S Gaffey and then take their port shuttle in the am; she has stayed there and said it was fine. I have read here that Crowne Plaza or Doubletree are suggested near the port. Since I don’t care about doing “stuff”, I’m not sure any of those are an advantage to us.

After the cruise, I know Princess does not offer shuttles to LGB, so I assume it will be a taxi. But are there private shuttles or car services that are better?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Do a search on this board for BruinSteve's posts. He has a list of recommended hotels in LB.

If you do stay in Long Beach, make sure your driver knows to take you to the Port of Los Angeles (the driver may assume you're going on a Carnival cruise and take you to that berth in Long Beach).

Long Beach won't be that much closer or farther than San Pedro.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JMO - We do stay at BW hotels often but - IMO the BW S. Gaffey is not your best choice based totally on property condition & location. Regardless of what you do or do not plan to do before the cruise SP Crowne Plaza is a way better choice -or- do the LGB Marriott.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JMO - We do stay at BW hotels often but - IMO the BW S. Gaffey is not your best choice based totally on property condition & location. Regardless of what you do or do not plan to do before the cruise SP Crowne Plaza is a way better choice -or- do the LGB Marriott.

If you are looking for a place to sleep, I would just stay at one of the Marriotts. The courtyard does some places to eat around it, The Habit, a order at the counter seafood place, a sandwich shop, and a Starbucks. The big Marriott is all by itself and no place else to eat.

I would read the reviews on TripAdvisor and use them to make your decision.

Concur that the cab driver needs to know to take you to the port in San Pedro, not Long Beach

Hello...

Well unfortunately we already booked the Best Western in San Pedro before I read some so so reviews about it. So our Princess pre-cruise nights will be there. Can anyone recommend a vegan friendly restaurants in the area?

What about things to do as we are going to be there two days? Anything in walking distance worth seeing or doing? Thanks

We are flying into LAX on 4/29 with our cruise leaving out of San Pedro on 4/30. We have not booked a hotel as of yet and have been unsuccessful with our bidding on Price Line.

Two things we are looking at and would like suggestions.

We booked a rental car with Enterprise at LAX and plan to return it in San Pedro and pay the $40 drop off fee. We would like to have a car on 4/29 as we arrive in the morning and would like to spend the day/evening sight seeing. We plan to end up in San Pedro and return the rental car at Enterprise on 4/30 and take their shuttle to the cruise port.

Is the above, the best way to handle the rental car? Or would it be advisable to get transportation from LAX to the Enterprise in San Pedro and rent our car from there? We plan to drive up to Santa Monica, so that would make us lose some of our time.

Secondly, if we return the rental car in San Pedro, we are not necessarily locked into getting a hotel in San Pedro. Any recommendations of a hotel within a 30 minute drive from San Pedro?

What about things to do as we are going to be there two days? Anything in walking distance worth seeing or doing? Thanks

There isn't much in easy walking distance, Ports O' Call Village is a long walk. The USS Iowa is walking distance.

There is a lot nearby that you could cab or Uber too.

The Fort MacArthur Museum is cool, the Korean Bell, the Cabrillo Aquarium, Downtown Long Beach, the Aquarium of the Pacific, the Queen Mary and The Pike.

http://www.sanpedro.com/sp_point/placint.htm

http://www.longbeach.gov/visitors/

There isn't much in easy walking distance, Ports O' Call Village is a long walk. The USS Iowa is walking distance.

There is a lot nearby that you could cab or Uber too.

The Fort MacArthur Museum is cool, the Korean Bell, the Cabrillo Aquarium, Downtown Long Beach, the Aquarium of the Pacific, the Queen Mary and The Pike.

http://www.sanpedro.com/sp_point/placint.htm

http://www.longbeach.gov/visitors/

Thanks...our hotel for after the cruise we are actually staying at the Hyatt centric at the pike. It's our anniversary the day we disembark so instead of heading home we decide to stay a few days more and I booked the Hyatt. Pre-cruise however we're at the Best Western. I looked at getting a rental car pre-and post-cruise but between all the extra fees it's just doesn't seem worth it. We're flying into and out of LAX. I hope we can find some things to walk to or something that's not going to cost too much to get around. We haven't used Uber before but I might check it out. Thanks!

We are flying into LAX on 4/29 with our cruise leaving out of San Pedro on 4/30. We have not booked a hotel as of yet and have been unsuccessful with our bidding on Price Line.

We booked a rental car with Enterprise at LAX and plan to return it in San Pedro and pay the $40 drop off fee. We would like to have a car on 4/29 as we arrive in the morning and would like to spend the day/evening sight seeing. We plan to end up in San Pedro and return the rental car at Enterprise on 4/30 and take their shuttle to the cruise port.

Is the above, the best way to handle the rental car? Or would it be advisable to get transportation from LAX to the Enterprise in San Pedro and rent our car from there? We plan to drive up to Santa Monica, so that would make us lose some of our time.

Secondly, if we return the rental car in San Pedro, we are not necessarily locked into getting a hotel in San Pedro. Any recommendations of a hotel within a 30 minute drive from San Pedro?

You may wish to pick up your car at LAX and then drive up to Santa Monica to spend the day and then rent a hotel room near LAX rather than continuing to San Pedro. Many of the hotels have good weekend rates as many are full during the week with businessmen.

It would probably cost close to $40 to get to San Pedro from LAX and then you would drive right by LAX on your way to Santa Monica unless you are going to drive the scenic coastal route.

If price isn't an issue, you could stay pre-cruise at Terranea resort. Saw Heidi Klum and Seal there one time!

You could also stay in downtown Long Beach--But you would need to factor in the cost of parking. Bruin Steve has lots of recommendations. As I live in Long Beach, I seldom have a hotel night downtown unless at the conference.

Hyatt Regency probably has the best location for dining and entertainment options.

Will be docking at Pier 93 in San Pedro on May 10th at 7AM and departing at 4PM. Looking for help with transportation to the Endeavor Space Shuttle at the California Science Center. It's about 25 miles from the ship to the museum. Are there any tours that pick up and drop off at the pier that would take us there? Are taxis available? Any suggestions?

You may wish to pick up your car at LAX and then drive up to Santa Monica to spend the day and then rent a hotel room near LAX rather than continuing to San Pedro. Many of the hotels have good weekend rates as many are full during the week with businessmen.

It would probably cost close to $40 to get to San Pedro from LAX and then you would drive right by LAX on your way to Santa Monica unless you are going to drive the scenic coastal route.

If price isn't an issue, you could stay pre-cruise at Terranea resort. Saw Heidi Klum and Seal there one time!

You could also stay in downtown Long Beach--But you would need to factor in the cost of parking. Bruin Steve has lots of recommendations. As I live in Long Beach, I seldom have a hotel night downtown unless at the conference.

Hyatt Regency probably has the best location for dining and entertainment options.

Thank you for the tips. I will look into hotels near LAX and compare.

I agree about seeing Santa Monica while you are close to LAX, but no way would I get a hotel in the LAX area, I'd get one in Marina del Rey, Manhattan Beach or Redondo Beach long before I'd stay near LAX. There are a lot of places to walk to to eat and see things in those three areas vs nothing walkable from the LAX area hotels.

If you decide to stay near San Pedro for a hotel, look in the Downtown Long Beach area. There are several threads here about hotels to stay at in the DT LB area.

Will be docking at Pier 93 in San Pedro on May 10th at 7AM and departing at 4PM. Looking for help with transportation to the Endeavor Space Shuttle at the California Science Center. It's about 25 miles from the ship to the museum. Are there any tours that pick up and drop off at the pier that would take us there? Are taxis available? Any suggestions?

Yes there are taxis at the pier and Uber is available. What are you doing with your luggage while you are at the museum?

I agree about seeing Santa Monica while you are close to LAX, but no way would I get a hotel in the LAX area, I'd get one in Marina del Rey, Manhattan Beach or Redondo Beach long before I'd stay near LAX. There are a lot of places to walk to to eat and see things in those three areas vs nothing walkable from the LAX area hotels.

If you decide to stay near San Pedro for a hotel, look in the Downtown Long Beach area. There are several threads here about hotels to stay at in the DT LB area.

Yes there are taxis at the pier and Uber is available. What are you doing with your luggage while you are at the museum?

We are staying on the cruise ship...only stopping there on our way to Vancouver...

I agree about not staying at a LAX hotel. The only time that makes sense to me is if you have an early morning flight out (that's what we did for our post-wedding, pre-flight hotel).

• 1 month later...
Happy to announce some new happenings in San Pedro. Hertz has opened a rental agency across from Enterprise on 6th street so you now have two options for rental cars. Santa Monica Fish Company has bought the old Papadakis restaurant building and it going to turn it into a seafood restaurant with outside dining. Port Town Brewing should be open at the corner of 7th and Centra in a few months as well as Brouwerji West near Crafted at 22nd and Miner. Hojas Tea House is open right across from the Crowne Plaza on 6th Street and Off The Vine is looking to move to a new location at the corner of 6th and Centre. Lot's happening in San Pedro!!

Are any of these walking distance from the Doubletree?

Any vegan suggestions?

We have stayed at the Crowne Plaza in the past and I remember a really nice little breakfast place we found but it looks to be a LONG walk from the Doubletree! :(

We are staying at the Doubletree as well. Wondering how close an In and Out will be.

There is only one In-n-Out Burger in San Pedro...and, basically, it's in the opposite corner of San Pedro...at 1090 N. Western...about 4 miles from the Doubletree...You'd have to get the hotel to shuttle you there (they might)...or take a combination of two public buses... or call an Uber... unless you have a car with you...

OTOH, if you are one of those who like to do a lot of shopping for the cruise, that intersection is the center of a number of shopping centers--including a Ralphs Supermarket, a Trader Joe's and a Sprouts...CVS...as well as movie theaters, Ross and Marshall...and a numbr of other fast-food and sit-down restaurants...

Edited by Bruin Steve