San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

There is only one In-n-Out Burger in San Pedro...and, basically, it's in the opposite corner of San Pedro...at 1090 N. Western...about 4 miles from the Doubletree...You'd have to get the hotel to shuttle you there (they might)...or take a combination of two public buses... or call an Uber... unless you have a car with you...

OTOH, if you are one of those who like to do a lot of shopping for the cruise, that intersection is the center of a number of shopping centers--including a Ralphs Supermarket, a Trader Joe's and a Sprouts...CVS...as well as movie theaters, Ross and Marshall...and a numbr of other fast-food and sit-down restaurants...

Are these shopping centers near the Doubletree or the In-n-Out? :confused:

Are these shopping centers near the Doubletree or the In-n-Out? :confused:

Sorry if that was confusing...

Those shopping centers are near the In-n-Out Burger. There is really very little near the Doubletree. It is in sort of a remote area of San Pedro in a way--down by the marina. About the only restaurant in close walking distance is the 22nd Street Landing. Other than that, you will likely need a ride to get most other places...It's about two miles to Vons (the closest supermarket--on Gaffey and 12th) or to the area around the Crowne Plaza (6th and Center) --where most of the restaurants are. Luckily, the hotel will shuttle you to the Downtown San Pedro area...or Uber comes in handy...

Good reasons to choose Crowne Plaza instead of Doubletree. We found food, CVS, brew pub, etc. within easy walking distance of Crowne Plaza and they let us leave our car there while on the cruise. By using Priceline we booked there for less than $90 a night.

Good reasons to choose Crowne Plaza instead of Doubletree. We found food, CVS, brew pub, etc. within easy walking distance of Crowne Plaza and they let us leave our car there while on the cruise. By using Priceline we booked there for less than $90 a night.

We've stayed at the Crowne Plaza in the past and it's been fine but our Hilton Honor points won't work there ! ;)

(And I just checked Priceline for our dates and it's $175 - that'll cover a LOT of Uber rides!)

Edited by chamima

We've stayed at the Crowne Plaza in the past and it's been fine but our Hilton Honor points won't work there ! ;)

(And I just checked Priceline for our dates and it's $175 - that'll cover a LOT of Uber rides!)

It was really high when I checked too but I used the "bid" method on Priceline and I think I got one night before our cruise for $88 and the next night after our cruise for $86. It was hard to beat. :)

Edit: I just went back and looked earlier in this thread. On page 23 this is what I posted about booking Crowne Plaza:

Online the Crown Plaza was quoting me $214 per night. It was $274 per night for the "park and sail" rate.

I just booked the two weekends using Priceline's express quote - not the name your own price deal. I got the first weekend for $88 per night and the second weekend for $86 per night.

I'll contact the hotel and see about leaving the car there. They may let me do it for a nightly fee while I'm on the ship. It's only 4 days that I won't be actually staying in the hotel. Even if I have to pay somebody $20 per night I'm still waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of what they were charging directly through the hotel.

Edited by Thrak

I am not a Priceline user. What criteria do you put in [look for] to guarantee that you get the Crowne Plaza at the Princess/San Pedro port?

And after cruise question:

I will be leaving at 12:30 out of John Wayne/Ontario airport. I assume that shared ride or reserved car is the way to go from the port? And how early to schedule on a Saturday?

I am not a Priceline user. What criteria do you put in [look for] to guarantee that you get the Crowne Plaza at the Princess/San Pedro port?

And after cruise question:

I will be leaving at 12:30 out of John Wayne/Ontario airport. I assume that shared ride or reserved car is the way to go from the port? And how early to schedule on a Saturday?

3.5 Stars and San Pedro should get you either the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree...they are the only 3.5 star hotels in San Pedro...

As to your flight home, first of all, figure out exactly which airport you are booked out of...

John Wayne and Ontario are two DIFFERENT AIRPORTS...

John Wayne is in Orange County--wedged in between Newport Beach, Costa Mesa and Irvine...It is about 36 miles from the port...

Ontario is in the "Inland Empire"--San Bernardino County...around 60+ miles from the port...

Either way, you have a LONG drive and likely not that much time...Shared shuttles will be rare--most people fly out of LAX (20 miles from port)...The favorite alternative for most is LGB--which is about 16 miles from the port...

But, depending on traffic, you may be cutting it really close for Ontario--which will take well over an hour to get to...

For either John Wayne or Ontario, you need to get a car service of some sort...dedicated ride, not shared...

Thanks, Bruin Steve,

I carelessly mis-typed "Ontario". It is John Wayne in "Orange" County. I had a 1:30 flight out of LGB back east, my first choice, but JetBlue cancelled it! John Wayne provided a reasonable, even better, alternative for me than LAX. So private car service it will be. Hopefully, Sat am won't have bad traffic issues.

And thanks for the guidance on Priceline.

Forgot to ask:

Which private car service for San Pedro to John Wayne? Google shows PrimeTimeShuttle and Karmel. Others?

And what time should the service be reserved for [12:25 flight time]? Based on Bruin Steve's comments, seems like I should ask for 9:00 or 9:30, allowing 1 hour travel [and lunch :D ]; is that doable for disembarkation? What if I am late getting off? Do the car services stay in touch and wait?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was it this Best Western?

111 S Gaffey Street

San Pedro, California, 90731-2429, United States

We are just considering it. I've read bad and good. We have always stayed at the Crown..looking for a change.

Hello...

Well unfortunately we already booked the Best Western in San Pedro before I read some so so reviews about it. So our Princess pre-cruise nights will be there. Can anyone recommend a vegan friendly restaurants in the area?

What about things to do as we are going to be there two days? Anything in walking distance worth seeing or doing? Thanks

• 2 months later...

This is a very helpful thread. Want to keep it easy to find. Recently booked the Star Princess out of San Pedro for next February, so I'm sure I will have questions as time gets closer.

I'll be taking a cruise on 3/28/17 and looking for a pre-cruise hotel. I think the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro might be my best bet. We will just be staying the night before so likely will just have dinner (preferably not at the hotel) and a few drinks, then relax for the night.

I'm wondering the best way to get to the hotel from LAX? I see on the CPs website I can book a fly and sail package which includes a shuttle to the hotel but wasn't sure if a cheaper room is better and just get either a private car or some type of shuttle service or taxi

After the cruise we will be staying 2 nights at the JW Marriott in the LA Live area (attending Kings game after) so I'm also not sure what the best way to get from the cruise port to the LA Live area would be?

We are booked on the Ruby Princess leaving San Pedro on 11/26/16. We are staying two nights pre-cruise at the Crowne Plaza. We've stayed there before and enjoyed it, we will be landing at the Long Beach airport on Thanksgiving afternoon. When we have stayed at Crowne Plaza before we have eaten breakfast at Grinders which is within walking distance. Does anyone know if Grinders is open on Thanksgiving day? Also we would like to fly home on Jet Blue out of Long Beach airport on Saturday 12/3 when we return from our cruise. The only flights they have available that day are a 10:20 am flight and a 7:30 pm flight. Seeing how the Long Beach airport is only 16 miles from the port could we make a 10:20 flight if we reserve a private car service? Our only other choice is a 12:55 pm flight out of LAX and I would really like to avoid LAX if at all possible. TIA

We are booked on the Ruby Princess leaving San Pedro on 11/26/16. We are staying two nights pre-cruise at the Crowne Plaza. We've stayed there before and enjoyed it, we will be landing at the Long Beach airport on Thanksgiving afternoon. When we have stayed at Crowne Plaza before we have eaten breakfast at Grinders which is within walking distance. Does anyone know if Grinders is open on Thanksgiving day? Also we would like to fly home on Jet Blue out of Long Beach airport on Saturday 12/3 when we return from our cruise. The only flights they have available that day are a 10:20 am flight and a 7:30 pm flight. Seeing how the Long Beach airport is only 16 miles from the port could we make a 10:20 flight if we reserve a private car service? Our only other choice is a 12:55 pm flight out of LAX and I would really like to avoid LAX if at all possible. TIA

I frequently fly out of LGB--but never have checked luggage. An hour early is plenty of time and maybe with checked luggage 1 hour 15. I would book a private transfer (or perhaps just a cab) and ask to be off the ship by 830 AM.

Of course problems with immigration or customs could make all this advice irrelevant.

I'd just take a cab. No need for a special car service. Cabs are always ready to go and not that expensive - probably less than a private car service.

I have only stayed at Crowne Plaza once but found it extremely "cruise friendly". If I have to drive to LA again for a cruise I will stay there and use their "Park and Sail" service again. :)

Edited by Thrak

We are considering a Hawaiian cruise out of "Los Angeles". Princess' port is in San Pedro.

What is the best / cheapest way to get from LAX to San Pedro?

Are there any good / clean hotels to stay at near the cruise port that is under$200 / night?

Thank you for your help :)

We are considering a Hawaiian cruise out of "Los Angeles". Princess' port is in San Pedro.

What is the best / cheapest way to get from LAX to San Pedro?

Are there any good / clean hotels to stay at near the cruise port that is under$200 / night?

Thank you for your help :)

We are going Fly and Sail with the Crown Plaza at San Pedro. $249 including transportation from LAX to hotel and then $5 each for hotel to ship. Then when we return pick up at ship and then shuttle to LAX. Also Breakfast for 2 and 2 drinks the evening we arrive. Seems like a good package. At least we are going to give it a try.

We are a group of 6 flying in to LAX. Hotel night before at Doubletree San Pedro. Looking for best shuttles for larger party. Hard to say at this point how many suitcases so let's assume one large per person(YEs, we are all bad packers!!!) And carryons.

Looked at Primetime, (good rates but bad reviews)

Ontime1

supershuttle

Would appreciate feedback on your experiences with shuttles. Our flight in doesn't get to LAX until 5:23 (yep, they changed it on us and we lose a few hours)

FLight out leaves LAX at 1:15.

Thank you for any advice!!!

I don't have firsthand knowledge but, unless a LOT of reviews are bad (and please remember to sort them by DATE) I've found that many poor reviews are worthless but OR old.

I've seen a LOT of of app or widget reviews that started with "MAC" and didn't apply to others. Just a reminder to "consider the source" when reading reviews.

Last year I used Super Shuttle. No problems. Prime Time was just a few yards away with no one waiting. I don't know if that means anything. Super Shuttle was busy. I would use Super Shuttle again.

We will be arriving in San Pedro on the NCL Pearl on Saturday morning, 10/1 (walking off early) and we fly out of Orange County Airport at 12:40 PM. Our plan was to use Uber or Lyft as our transportation to the airport. On an earlier post, it mentioned that ride share was not a good option for this route. Is this still the case and why? What have others used between these two locations? Thank you.

I would like to "second" the questions posed in two recent posts about transfers from San Pedro to John Wayne [sNA] after a cruise.

We're flying out of SNA on Oct 15 @ 12:25, and did plan to use a private car service, partly because of the relatively early departure. Is this the way to go? PrimeTime? SuperShuttle? Something else?

And I was planning to make an advanced reservation, just to be safe.