San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

Hi knowledgeable people. Will be staying at the CP prior to our panama canal cruise, please tell me where to buy water, wine and rum. Thanks in advance!

For specialty wines, Off the Vine Wines is a couple of blocks West of the CP on 6th Street...

In California most supermarkets and drug stores sell liquor...

About a 5 block walk West of the CP is Gaffey Street...CVS is at 7th and Gaffey, RiteAid at 5th and Gaffey...I don't know first hand, but a good bet one, if not both, will sell Rum...

For specialty wines, Off the Vine Wines is a couple of blocks West of the CP on 6th Street...

In California most supermarkets and drug stores sell liquor...

About a 5 block walk West of the CP is Gaffey Street...CVS is at 7th and Gaffey, RiteAid at 5th and Gaffey...I don't know first hand, but a good bet one, if not both, will sell Rum...

thank you very much :D, i will google map and be ready for the cruise ;)

Bruin Steve

Thanks so much for the mini history lesson. I do work on occasion for the Luther Burbank company and had always assumed he was the namesake of the town. I love names and their stories.

Pronunciation of said names is always a challenge to me in my line of work.

Another pronunciation oddity in San Pedro is Cabrillo. As in the beach, the street and the museum. It is pronounced brillo, like the Brillo pad. Head north into Old Torrance and Cabrillo Avenue is pronounced Cabreeyo.

There was a piece on one of the national newscasts last night about how citizens of Bangor' date=' Maine, are doing this PR campaign to get people to pronounce the name of their city correctly. In the lead, La Jolla was mentioned as one city whose name is mispronounced quite a bit.[/quote']

My Vancouver friend tells me (half-joking, half not) if I want to sound like a Canadian the pronunciations are "Vangcouver" and "Torono" :)

Edited by kenish

If you are departing from San Pedro, the Crowne Plaza is a very nice hotel and very well located vis-a-vis the cruise terminal...They are walking distance from several good restaurants...and they have a free shuttle to the pier...

There really is no reason to search for anything else...

Steve I would have absolutely agreed with you until this year. We've stayed there (CP) for the past 4 years using their Park & Sail package, a great bargin, up until this year with a significant price increase. So much so that we will stay at the DT in October. I like the CP and if they were to drop or return their prices to last year's level, we would switch back.

a

There was a piece on one of the national newscasts last night about how citizens of Bangor' date=' Maine, are doing this PR campaign to get people to pronounce the name of their city correctly. In the lead, La Jolla was mentioned as one city whose name is mispronounced quite a bit.[/quote']

I was born in BAN GOR .. I have no idea how people can pronounce it with an E except to blame it on the Roger Miller hit "King of the Road", LOL

Now live in Or y Gun (Oregon) and now cringe a little when people pronounce it the way it is spelled. Damned if you do, damned if you don't ! Either way , both places are beautiful .

Edited by kellanrevere

Steve I would have absolutely agreed with you until this year. We've stayed there (CP) for the past 4 years using their Park & Sail package, a great bargin, up until this year with a significant price increase. So much so that we will stay at the DT in October. I like the CP and if they were to drop or return their prices to last year's level, we would switch back.

a

We just booked the CP through Hotwire for $88 night for our pre-cruise stay in October. Maybe book room through Hotwire and then pay for parking separately. I've seen others report that they have done that.

I have a few questions. I booked a room at CP but I'm cruising on Carnival Miracle. How far is it to that pier and do you know how much the cab fare will be? Also, is it possible to get a taxi van that would fit 6 people? TIA for your help!

Edited by imluvncruzn

I have a few questions. I booked a room at CP but I'm cruising on Carnival Miracle. How far is it to that pier and do you know how much the cab fare will be? Also, is it possible to get a taxi van that would fit 6 people? TIA for your help!

Carnival cruises out of Long Beach...it's SEVEN AND A HALF MILES away, on the other side of the rather large harbor...I've heard about $25 for a cab...you'd probably have to contact a cab company or shuttle company to arrange for a van that would hold six...You may want to consider just driving to Long Beach (I'm assuming by the park and ride comment that you'll have a car with you) and paying the $17 a day to park there...

Normally, I advise people cruising on Carnival NOT to stay in San Pedro, but rather in the area of Long Beach near the pier--at the Hyatt, Hyatt at the Pike, Renaissance, Westin, Hilton, Maya Doubletree or Residence Inn Downtown...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Carnival cruises out of Long Beach...it's SEVEN AND A HALF MILES away, on the other side of the rather large harbor...I've heard about $25 for a cab...you'd probably have to contact a cab company or shuttle company to arrange for a van that would hold six...You may want to consider just driving to Long Beach (I'm assuming by the park and ride comment that you'll have a car with you) and paying the $17 a day to park there...

Normally, I advise people cruising on Carnival NOT to stay in San Pedro, but rather in the area of Long Beach near the pier--at the Hyatt, Hyatt at the Pike, Renaissance, Westin, Hilton, Maya Doubletree or Residence Inn Downtown...

Thank you! We got the room through Hotwire so its paid in full with no cancellation policy. We are flying in from Buffalo so wont' have a car. I don't mind the $25 cab ride; especially since we only paid $88 for our room at the Crowne Plaza.

Edited by imluvncruzn

We will be arriving at San Pedro on Monday 27th April after a Panama canal transit cruise on Coral Princess. We have booked a rental car from Long Beach airport for our stay in CA.

What is the best way to get to that airport please?Taxi or Private Shuttle? There are 2 of us.

We will be arriving at San Pedro on Monday 27th April after a Panama canal transit cruise on Coral Princess. We have booked a rental car from Long Beach airport for our stay in CA.

What is the best way to get to that airport please?Taxi or Private Shuttle? There are 2 of us.

You may wish to see if you could pick up your car in downtown Long Beach--a much cheaper cab ride then to the airport.

If not possible, then I think a cab is about the same price as a shuttle.

We just booked the CP for $91 for Oct 9. That was a lot less pricey than the DT on the same date. We will have to use their shuttle as we will be gone a total of 18 days and wll have 4 large suitcases plus carry ons with us. I booked via Last Minute Travel Club. While I have used Priceline almost exclusively in the past, when I want to know the name of the hotel prior to booking I have gotten great prices through LMT lately. Plus, we can cancel up to 48 hours in advance wthout penalty if I see a better deal later.

We have sailed out of San Pedro before, but have always driven. This time we will be flyng into LAX. Is Super Shuttle the best way to get to San Pedro from LAX?

This is such an informative thread. We'll be staying in Torrance prior to our cruise (visiting friends in Redondo). I see back on the first posts of this thread that taxis were about $55. What would a taxi cost from DoubleTree Torrance to the cruise port for Crystal? Thanks.

• 10 months later...

Happy to announce some new happenings in San Pedro. Hertz has opened a rental agency across from Enterprise on 6th street so you now have two options for rental cars. Santa Monica Fish Company has bought the old Papadakis restaurant building and it going to turn it into a seafood restaurant with outside dining. Port Town Brewing should be open at the corner of 7th and Centra in a few months as well as Brouwerji West near Crafted at 22nd and Miner. Hojas Tea House is open right across from the Crowne Plaza on 6th Street and Off The Vine is looking to move to a new location at the corner of 6th and Centre. Lot's happening in San Pedro!!

[Wineaux - Happy to announce some new happenings in San Pedro. Hertz has opened a rental agency across from Enterprise on 6th street so you now have two options for rental cars.]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Car Rental News & the new Hertz location appears to be a full corporate operation - even better. Thanks for the heads-up.

Cruisin' Chick - An advantage to using Hertz is that you can get an auto club discount.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just as an FYI - Both Hertz & Enterprise (National Car) offer discount programs. This SP Hertz is listed as a Hertz Local Edition Location but does provide Gold Counter Service, Local PickUp/DropOff (within 15 mins of location/no airport service) hours - open M-F 8A/6P, SAT 9A/1P - closed Sunday.

• 1 month later...

We have a cruise that will arrive in San Pedro at 7:00 AM and leave at 11:00 PM and don't really want to do the whole Disneyland thing. How easy would it be to get to Long Beach for the day and how much would it cost? Any other suggestions that aren't too expensive would be appreciated.