San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

Sue,

San Pedro is a fairly small town with the downtown area very close to the cruise terminal. What there "is to see" there is, basically, the USS Iowa--which is right next to the cruise terminal:

http://www.pacificbattleship.com/

...the Cabrillo Aquarium:

http://www.cabrillomarineaquarium.org/

...the Los Angeles Maritime Museum:

http://www.lamaritimemuseum.org/

...the SS Lane Victory:

http://www.lanevictory.org/index.php

The Maritime Museum is a couple of blocks further down the waterfront from the Iowa...while the Lane Victory and the Cabrillo Aquarium are a distance away near the mouth of the harbor. There is a trolley (which has been, at times, free and, at times $1...which runs along the waterfront which would bring you to all of these BUT it has been in and out of service due to redevelopment. I am not sure if it will be in operation or not at the time of your visit...keep checking back closer to the dates...

http://www.sanpedrobid.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/TrolleySchedule.pdf

About 6-8 miles away, in Downtown Long Beach, across the harbor, there is the more impressive Aquarium of the Pacific:

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/

...and the Queen Mary:

http://www.queenmary.com/

These would require a taxi or Uber...

The closest major supermarket chains to the cruise pier are a Vons at 12th and Gaffey and a Ralphs at Western and Capitol...either would require a taxi or Uber...

Good luck...

Hi and many thanks for this info. I have learnt something today as I had never heard of uber so googled it. We had thought about seeing the Queen Mary.

Sue

• 4 weeks later...

Hi... Finding it a little difficult to sort through the threads and replies, so sorry if this is a redundant question.

I arrive at the DoubleTree the day before my NCL sailing in early January, about 3-4pm. Will it be getting dark there early too? Traveling on my own, I'm wondering if it will be safe to walk around the hotel/harbour area that night? Am I better to just eat at the hotel or is there anywhere that would be safe to walk to and back? Would the CVS be the closest pharmacy to the DoubleTree, and how long a walk would it be? I don't walk very quickly! :) Thanks for your help.

Hi... Finding it a little difficult to sort through the threads and replies, so sorry if this is a redundant question.

I arrive at the DoubleTree the day before my NCL sailing in early January, about 3-4pm. Will it be getting dark there early too? Traveling on my own, I'm wondering if it will be safe to walk around the hotel/harbour area that night? Am I better to just eat at the hotel or is there anywhere that would be safe to walk to and back? Would the CVS be the closest pharmacy to the DoubleTree, and how long a walk would it be? I don't walk very quickly! :) Thanks for your help.

to check sunrise and sundown times for any location and date, just type the city, date, and sunrise and sundown in google. Then consider that if 4:30 is sundown for that area, you'll now to be close to your hotel as it will be dark at that time. Los Angeles is farther south than many other cities in the US so would have slightly more daylight in the winter time than say San Francisco.

Yeah I would eventually have thought of that googling thing!:) :D

I guess my main concern is how safe the neighbourhood is for walking alone. But, thank you, Cruisin Chick. :)

The area is safe enough, but not a lot of great places to eat. I'd Uber to Ports O'Call for more restaurants and to CVS. Both are about 2 miles away.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We are staying at Hilton Long Beach. There is a Catholic Church about a mile half away. Is it ok to walk or should we try Uber or Uber to a different church. Thank you

Yes, walk on Ocean Blvd before you head north on Olive to St. Anthony's

Or take an Uber to St. Bartholomew's to see a residential part of Long Beach

• 4 weeks later...
There are 6 of us staying overnight before our cruise in San Pedro at the Best Western Plus on Gaffey St. We are looking for suggestions for dinner in the area.

Most of what's near the Best Western is fast food...

You'll probably have to walk 8-15 blocks each way or take a taxi...

The area near the Crowne Plaza has some good choices...

My favorite is the San Pedro Brewing Company:

http://www.sanpedrobrewing.com/

If you want Mexican food, you can go to Green Onion or Acapulco:

http://www.greenonionmexicanrestaurant.com/home.html

http://places.singleplatform.com/acapulco-87/menu?ref=google

Acapulco is right on the water, so if you're there early and a ship is leaving, you can have cocktails out on the terrace...

Niko's is a local place for Pizza/Pasta:

http://www.nikospizzeria.com/

Some more local Italian places:

http://www.neilspastaseafood.com/

http://www.raffaelloristorante.com/

https://www.opentable.com/j-tranis-ristorante?refid=ppcggl&ref=15649&sp=ppc_g_US_Restaurants&reengagement=1&publisher_id=169194&my_campaign=Kenshoo1&ref_id=90f6e23b-5407-4ba3-a0b9-422ebb94bb28

There are several almost third world-like seafood places--mostly order at the counter, sit on picnic tables type places in Ports o' Call Village as well as a couple with sit-down tables and service (definitely need a taxi)

https://www.portoflosangeles.org/recreation/ports_call_village.asp

...Or, way down near the Doubletree (need a taxi) is a little more upscale sea food at the 22nd Street Landing:

http://22ndstlandingrestaurant.com/

Lots of other places to eat in San Pedro...This short list should give you a start...

I want to stay at a hotel and use a car rental facility as close to the pier as possible. Here's where I think I should reserve a room and book a car:

Crowne Plaza at 601 S Palos Verdes St, San Pedro, CA 90731

Enterprise 235 W 6th St, San Pedro, CA 90731

Does that look right?

I want to stay at a hotel and use a car rental facility as close to the pier as possible. Here's where I think I should reserve a room and book a car:

Crowne Plaza at 601 S Palos Verdes St, San Pedro, CA 90731

Enterprise 235 W 6th St, San Pedro, CA 90731

Does that look right?

We have rented a car from the Enterprise location on 6th street in San Pedro, just around the corner from the Crowne Plaza. We picked up and returned the car to this location while staying at the Crowne Plaza.

For our upcoming trip, we will be using the Hertz location on 6th street in San Pedro, also very close to the Crowne Plaza. For this trip we will be picking up the car at the Long Beach Airport and returning it in San Pedro for our night at the Crowne Plaza before our cruise. Hertz had a much better price for not returning the car back to the airport.

Be aware of the operating hours for both Enterprise and Hertz. I believe that both agencies close early evening on most days, have limited Saturday service, and are closed on Sunday.

Will be arriving by cruise ship on May 4th ( NCL Pearl) and was just wondering which airport is closer- Long Beach or LAX

Another poster said that LAX is about 45 minutes away ( not counting traffic) from CP- whereas Long Beach Airport is only 15-18 minutes away?

Before I go and buy Airfare, I need to know which would be better for us

Both JetBlue and SWAir have nonstop flights from both airports.

Your reply is deeply appreciated.

Will be arriving by cruise ship on May 4th ( NCL Pearl) and was just wondering which airport is closer- Long Beach or LAX

Another poster said that LAX is about 45 minutes away ( not counting traffic) from CP- whereas Long Beach Airport is only 15-18 minutes away?

Before I go and buy Airfare, I need to know which would be better for us

Both JetBlue and SWAir have nonstop flights from both airports.

Your reply is deeply appreciated.

Actually, in terms of time and distance from the pier in San Pedro, it's fairly close--LAX is 20 miles, LGB approximately 16 depending on route (a little closer if by city streets--but do that and you'll see a traffic light every couple of blocks and it will take twice as long to get there). As to time and convenience, a lot depends on how you expect to get from pier to airport. If by taxi, Uber or hired car/limo, it's pretty much the same...If you plan on going by cruise line transfer, most cruise lines ONLY do transfers to LAX. If by shared shuttle, you will have a much better chance at arranging and filling a shuttle going to LAX as, probably, about 90% of those flying out after the cruise will be using LAX.

The real difference between the two, for most people, is the airport itself. LAX is one of the five busiest airports in the world. LGB is a VERY small airport. LAX has regular and frequent flights to just about everywhere. LGB has only a few flights daily to a few places. A lot of people complain about LAX for three reasons: 1) Lines to check in and for security, 2) long waits at baggage claim and 3) difficulty moving between terminals for connecting flights. If you are only flying out, #2 and #3 are not a concern...And, frankly, #1 is hit and miss. I fly out of LAX often and have never had an overly long wait for check in or security--of course, it helps if you check in on line and have TSA pre-clearance.

Yet, still, for a lot of folks, LAX can be a bit daunting...OTOH, LGB is EASY to navigate once you get there...

If the flight schedule works for you and you are planning a taxi or Uber to get there, take LGB. If you don't have a problem with big airports and want some options on getting there and some options if your flight gets canceled and you want a bigger selection of flights, take LAX...

Many thanks Bruin Steve...your response made me realize that probably we should fly back home (East Coast) through LAX and if its only 4 miles difference, then LAX it is.

I was just under the impression that LGB was much closer but you should know since you do live in LA. We do plan on buying transfers from the cruise line to get to the airport.

Again, Thanks for shedding some light into this dilemma we were facing.

This will be our very first time in LA and we are really looking forward to it.

Happy Cruising Steve :)

We are returning a rental car at Long Beach airport because the local agencies in San P. close early on Sundays. We've had a couple bad experiences leaving a car at a closed office after hours so going to the airport looks like the best bet for a late return the night before our cruise.

How far is the drive from the airport to the Doubletree in San Pedro? It will be on Sunday around 7pm? I've been trying to call to ask if they have a shuttle, which I don't expect, but they're not answering their phone or returning my calls.

We are returning a rental car at Long Beach airport because the local agencies in San P. close early on Sundays. We've had a couple bad experiences leaving a car at a closed office after hours so going to the airport looks like the best bet for a late return the night before our cruise.

How far is the drive from the airport to the Doubletree in San Pedro? It will be on Sunday around 7pm? I've been trying to call to ask if they have a shuttle, which I don't expect, but they're not answering their phone or returning my calls.

LGB? about 18 miles... a half an hour if no traffic...but, there's always a little traffic.

Is this pre-cruise and you're staying at the Doubletree? How are you planning to get from the airport to the Doubletree? LAX is only about 22 miles from the Doubletree and may have more transportation options...If you're using a shared shuttle...OTOH, if Uber, probably better off going from LGB...

LGB? about 18 miles... a half an hour if no traffic...but, there's always a little traffic.

Is this pre-cruise and you're staying at the Doubletree? How are you planning to get from the airport to the Doubletree? LAX is only about 22 miles from the Doubletree and may have more transportation options...If you're using a shared shuttle...OTOH, if Uber, probably better off going from LGB...

Thanks for the quick reply. We're renting the car at LAX on Friday, and we sail on Monday. We won't need the car on Monday a.m. so we're returning the car Sunday night to save time on Monday a.m. We'll either take the Doubletree's shuttle to the port on Monday a.m. or get a cab since there will be 4 of us.

Thanks for the quick reply. We're renting the car at LAX on Friday, and we sail on Monday. We won't need the car on Monday a.m. so we're returning the car Sunday night to save time on Monday a.m. We'll either take the Doubletree's shuttle to the port on Monday a.m. or get a cab since there will be 4 of us.

Personally, I think it may be a bit easier to just keep the car until Monday morning and returning it in San Pedro...Going to LGB and a taxi or Uber back will take a bigger chunk out of your Sunday night than just returning it Monday morning in Pedro...Besides, you could avoid the shuttle and just drop everyone else at the ship, drive over to the rental car office, then walk back over to the pier (about 4 blocks)...

Plus, it would give you a vehicle to drive to wherever you want to eat Sunday night (there's not much around the Doubletree except the 22nd Street Landing).

OTOH, have you checked into the difference in rental rates if you both picked up and returned the car to LAX, not much difference in the cost of an Uber or taxi from there...and a lot easier to get a shared shuttle ($17 pp) LAX to San Pedro...You could leave your party at he Doubletree, return the car at LAX and catch a shuttle back...

We can't return the car in San P. Budget doesn't have an office there. Also the port area will be a zoo with theatre gets getting off the ship and new ones boarding. We're hoping that a Sunday night will be quieter and quicker. We're planning to have dinner in Long Beach, return the car, and go back to San Pedro. This what we usually do pre-cruise.

We can't return the car in San P. Budget doesn't have an office there. Also the port area will be a zoo with theatre gets getting off the ship and new ones boarding. We're hoping that a Sunday night will be quieter and quicker. We're planning to have dinner in Long Beach, return the car, and go back to San Pedro. This what we usually do pre-cruise.

Can you return the car Monday morning to Budget at the Westin in Long Beach? A lot closer than LGB... you could use the car to drive to Long Beach AND BACK for dinner Sunday night (most places you'd want to eat at in Long Beach are in the tourist area, not near the airport). Monday morning, you could either let most of your party sleep in while you return the car in Long Beach. It will take you about 15 minutes to drive over there...then catch an Uber back to the Doubletree. Then go by shuttle as you planned. Or, you could go a little later, drop off your luggage at the pier, then drop the car in Long Beach and Uber back...

The terminal in San Pedro is really not that much of a zoo...There is only room for two ships and often there's just one there. The loop road around the parking lot and past the terminal is never really all that busy and the luggage crew will pretty much take your bags as you stop by the curb...or even if you unload them on the other side of the road--there are several lanes with a median between two groups...all going in the same direction. The drop-off, whether you just drop off the luggage or if you drop off luggage and the rest of your party, isn't going to take more than a couple of minutes.

It will take a much bigger chunk out of your Sunday night to drive all the way to LGB airport and then to get a ride back.

A taxi from LGB to San Pedro is a flat rate of $45...

An UberX from the LB Westin to the Doubletree or the pier should run about $10-15. There may be issues with getting UberX at LGB...I tried to get an estimate and it would only give me Uber Black or Uber SUV--both quite expensive...

We have rented a car from the Enterprise location on 6th street in San Pedro, just around the corner from the Crowne Plaza. We picked up and returned the car to this location while staying at the Crowne Plaza.

For our upcoming trip, we will be using the Hertz location on 6th street in San Pedro, also very close to the Crowne Plaza. For this trip we will be picking up the car at the Long Beach Airport and returning it in San Pedro for our night at the Crowne Plaza before our cruise. Hertz had a much better price for not returning the car back to the airport.

Be aware of the operating hours for both Enterprise and Hertz. I believe that both agencies close early evening on most days, have limited Saturday service, and are closed on Sunday.

Thanks for the information! I'll have to price check Hertz and Enterprise.

Since the car rental agencies are closed on Sundays, the plan is to park the car at Crowne Plaza on Sunday night, spend the night, and then return the car Monday morning before beginning the cruise. Have you ever had any problems parking your rental car at the Crowne Plaza? I'm most concerned about getting our car back in a timely manner Monday morning.

Since we'll be dropping off the car at the rental agency right before boarding the cruise, would you recommend walking to the pier or calling a cab/lyft/uber?