San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

We are staying a few days pre-cruise in San Diego, renting a car at the airport. We will then drive the rental car to San Pedro on a Saturday morning to embark on the Ruby Princess California Coastal trip.

We are renting from Enterprise and will be dropping the car off at their 6th street store in San Pedro. Does anyone know if Enterprise still offers a shuttle to the pier? If not, is it possible to catch a cab there?

We are staying a few days pre-cruise in San Diego, renting a car at the airport. We will then drive the rental car to San Pedro on a Saturday morning to embark on the Ruby Princess California Coastal trip.

We are renting from Enterprise and will be dropping the car off at their 6th street store in San Pedro. Does anyone know if Enterprise still offers a shuttle to the pier? If not, is it possible to catch a cab there?

A cab driver may look at you funny. If it were me, I would first drop the luggage (and maybe my spouse) at the dock, then return the rental car...and then WALK back to the ship. Depending on which berth, the walk is an easy flat .5 to .7 miles...a short block down 6th to Harbor...Cross Harbor and turn left and follow the shoreline...Pass the USS Iowa, then come the two cruise ship berths...

Looked at Primetime, (good rates but bad reviews)

Ontime1

supershuttle

I have used PrimeTime, SuperShuttle, and Karmel. Had no big problems with any of them in LA. I would recommend reserving a private shuttle(not shared ride), especially for the return to LAX. If you have a shared van, you may be the last group off once you reach the airport. This will also help if there are any delays getting off the ship.

A cab driver may look at you funny. If it were me, I would first drop the luggage (and maybe my spouse) at the dock, then return the rental car...and then WALK back to the ship. Depending on which berth, the walk is an easy flat .5 to .7 miles...a short block down 6th to Harbor...Cross Harbor and turn left and follow the shoreline...Pass the USS Iowa, then come the two cruise ship berths...

Ahh, I didn't realize it was so close to the pier! Thanks; I will definitely take your advice and drop off the luggage, then return the car.

I have used PrimeTime, SuperShuttle, and Karmel. Had no big problems with any of them in LA. I would recommend reserving a private shuttle(not shared ride), especially for the return to LAX. If you have a shared van, you may be the last group off once you reach the airport. This will also help if there are any delays getting off the ship.

Thank you!!! I appreciate that you have used all 3 and have had good results!!! And yes, we will definitely have a private shuttle van. Thank you for your help!!!

Thank you!!! I appreciate that you have used all 3 and have had good results!!! And yes, we will definitely have a private shuttle van. Thank you for your help!!!

Anyone know which is the closest car rental to the Cruise Pier open on Sunday?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I am a little lost when trying to plan a cruise with Princess that is sailing out of San Pedro.

Everything that I had read made me think that the port was really close to Los Angeles. I had also been told that there was a Crown Plaza and Enterprise location close to the port.

When I finally plugged addresses into Google and Map Quest, it has the port, Crown Plaza and Enterprise in San Pedro as being almost two hours away from Los Angeles.

What am I missing?

I am a little lost when trying to plan a cruise with Princess that is sailing out of San Pedro.

Everything that I had read made me think that the port was really close to Los Angeles. I had also been told that there was a Crown Plaza and Enterprise location close to the port.

When I finally plugged addresses into Google and Map Quest, it has the port, Crown Plaza and Enterprise in San Pedro as being almost two hours away from Los Angeles.

What am I missing?

San Pedro is a community within the city of Los Angeles. The Crowne Plaza is probably 20 miles from LAX and downtown Los Angeles and without looking at the map, perhaps 30 from Hollywood. If you are taking public transit it could take two hours during rush hour (and an hour plus in the car). The city of Los Angeles is huge and many communities go by their original name before the municipality joined Los Angeles. I live in Long Beach, which is near the southeasternborder of the city of Los Angeles. My son lives in Woodland Hills, which is in the city of Los Angeles. We are 65 miles away and it can take more than two hours to get there.

Thank you to PatriciaF for the informative response!

Now that I understand a little more, here's my plan for anyone to let me know if I am crazy:

Saturday: Fly into Burbank, rent a car, drive to Santa Clarita

Sunday:

noonish: leave Santa Clarita

12-2:30: Drive to LA, see Hollywood sign

2:30-6:00 Drive to Venice Beach, hang out for an hour or two

6-7:30 Drive to San Pedro, check in at hotel

Monday: check out of hotel, return car, board cruise

Edited by sjmbruce

I assume you have a personal reason to be in Santa Clarita but I think your plan is very doable. Unless there is a major accident or rain, your times are reasonable estimates. Santa Clarita is probably a 90 minute or more drive to the port.

Have a great visit and cruise!

Edited by PatriciaF

What am I missing?

Realize, of course, that "Los Angeles" is a REALLY BIG place...

The official population of the City of Los Angeles is just under 4 million...

But the population of the Greater Los Angeles area is officially just under 20 million...and many will tell you these figures are low because many Los Angeles residents go unreported...

But, unlike many cities of 20 million--which tend to be compact with urban blocks and high rise buildings, Los Angeles is spread out...much of it built horizontally rather than vertically... And, to further complicate that, it sprawls out over a number of coastal plains, mountain ranges and valleys...a land area of nearly 34,000 square miles.

The political boundaries are incredibly irregular--due to a complicated history. It is a checkerboard of municipalities. The original City of Los Angeles is an area considerably inland around the present day Downtown Los Angeles. Other cities and communities sprung up throughout the area...and, over the years, most of them sort of grew until they all meshed together. Starting in the early part of the 20th Century, the City of Los Angeles started annexing several of its neighbors, for two main reasons. First of all, the City decided it needed a harbor--difficult when you are located 12-20 miles inland. So, they annexed the existing cities of San Pedro and Wilmington, thus gaining access to the harbor...as well as a narrow strip of land from Downtown to San Pedro since California law required city limits to be contiguous. Then, the City of Los Angeles acquired a significant water source (see the movie "Chinatown") and offered water to neighboring cities and communities in return for agreeing to be annexed into Los Angeles. The results: Many cities opted in, others opted out--which is why, today, there are many communities in Los Angeles which still go by their original city names--but are really parts of Los Angeles...while other cities, though surrounded by Los Angeles, are still independent cities (ie Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Culver City, etc.).

To most visitors, it is very hard to tell when you are officially in the City of Los Angeles and when you are not. San Pedro is "in" the City, neighboring Long Beach, right across the harbor, is an independent city.

Yes, the Crowne Plaza and Enterprise Car Rental ARE within the community of San Pedro, close to the port facilities AND within the City of Los Angeles. Yes, Downtown Los Angeles, LAX and other tourist sights are anywhere from 20-40 miles away and, depending on traffic, could be, at times, two hours away...

That said, unless you absolutely must drive during rush hour and you have bad luck with traffic, chances are no drive you might take will take two hours...one hour, maybe a bit over an hour? Sure...

So, the real questions are: What do you plan on doing in LA? How much time do you have?

If you plan things well, it really will not be all that bad.

Are you planning on renting a car and staying at the Crowne Plaza multiple days? It can work, but, if what you want to see is a lot of stuff in Hollywood or on the West Side, you may consider rethinking your plans and staying elsewhere--except, maybe, the night before the cruise...

If you are just renting a car at LAX, driving to San Pedro and returning the car and staying one night at the Crowne Plaza, you might rethink it--you likely won't need that car and can just take a shuttle or an Uber...

If you are staying two nights and want to use that day in between to tour, you have options as well...You can plan your route carefully to avoid SOME traffic...or you could just hire a tour company for that day.

Let us know some details and we'll try to help...

EDIT:

Now that I've finished typing that, I see you've posted this in the meantime:

Thank you to PatriciaF for the informative response!

Now that I understand a little more, here's my plan for anyone to let me know if I am crazy:

Saturday: Fly into Burbank, rent a car, drive to Santa Clarita

Sunday:

noonish: leave Santa Clarita

12-2:30: Drive to LA, see Hollywood sign

2:30-6:00 Drive to Venice Beach, hang out for an hour or two

6-7:30 Drive to San Pedro, check in at hotel

Monday: check out of hotel, return car, board cruise

Santa Clarita is considerably north of the rest of it...it is in an inland valley, basically two mountain ranges separated from the wide coastal plain--pretty far from the port. I take it you have some reason to be there? Family? Friends? It is basically a very suburban "bedroom community".

Good thing is that Saturday and Sunday you won't have that much traffic...but this is LA, you still may have some traffic ANY day...But, yeah, your plan is workable...

Edited by Bruin Steve

A couple of thoughts about your plan:

First, "Seeing the Hollywood Sign"...

Most people look at the sign from Hollywood...You get a nice clear view of it, but it is pretty far away...

One of the most interesting places to view the sign from locations up in the hills. One is the Hollywood Bowl Scenic Overlook...at 7306 Mulholland Drive, not far off the 101 Freeway before you get into Hollywood proper, driving from Santa Clarita. There's a little parking area there, though it is often crowded. Another spot is from the Griffith Observatory. And there are others in the area as well.

See these sites and links:

http://hollywoodsign.org/seeing-the-sign/viewpoints/

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/guide/the-best-places-to-spot-the-hollywood-sign/

http://www.pachd.com/free-images/hollywood-sign.html

After these, you might as well drop down into Hollywood and head for the Hollywood and Highland Complex. It is, fo course, right at the corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Avenue...This place is a "zoo"...The complex includes the famous Chinese Theater, the Kodak Theater...and the "Walk of Stars" passes right out in front. Parking can be impossible...You will likely have to pay, but, if you park in the structure under the complex and grab a bite to eat or buy something in the complex, you could get that parking validated.

Venice Beach can be a bit of a zoo at times as well...with parking near impossible...You may need to pay...If you're still there and it gets to dinner time, my recommendation is C&O Trattoria:

http://www.cotrattoria.com/

The Garlic Rolls are incredible. It is right where Washington Blvd. hits the boardwalk--basically, the southern terminus of the Venice Boardwalk.

If you end up getting out of Venice earlier and checked into the Crowne Plaza, I'd recommend San Pedro Brewing Company...about a block West of the CP:

http://www.sanpedrobrewing.com/

I love the tri-tip sandwich...

Have fun...

And if you're planning a cruise during the winter (most of Princess's cruises from SP are usually between October and early May...unless it's a coastal), there could be rain (we were supposed to get a lot of rain last winter, but northern Cal was selfish and kept much of it for itself:rolleyes:). so if it's rainy and cloudy, visibility of the sign might be difficult.

Is there a reason to be in Santa clarita? Other than visiting friends/family, there's Magic Mountain. A really nice mall (Princess HQs office is right next to it), but you can find nice malls to the south.

On Saturday, Oct 22nd we'll be cruising out of San Pedro. My plan is to rent a car in San Diego Friday afternoon, leave San Diego around 9am on Saturday, drop the car at Avis in Long Beach (Enterprise had no cars for some reason, and Hertz was $50 more). From Avis we'll Lyft or Uber over to the port. My guess is that we'll arrive at the ship between 12 & 1pm, does that sound reasonable? Is the destination 100 Swinford, the World Cruise Center?

We're from Virginia, but, I'm attending a conference in San Diego that runs through Friday, so I was able to piggyback this cruise (hurrah!).

On Saturday, Oct 22nd we'll be cruising out of San Pedro. My plan is to rent a car in San Diego Friday afternoon, leave San Diego around 9am on Saturday, drop the car at Avis in Long Beach (Enterprise had no cars for some reason, and Hertz was $50 more). From Avis we'll Lyft or Uber over to the port. My guess is that we'll arrive at the ship between 12 & 1pm, does that sound reasonable? Is the destination 100 Swinford, the World Cruise Center?

We're from Virginia, but, I'm attending a conference in San Diego that runs through Friday, so I was able to piggyback this cruise (hurrah!).

Always nice to piggyback a vacation with work paying for the air fare--yes, very doable.

There is construction between downtown Long Beach (is that the Avis location you are using or the one at the airport?) and the World Cruise Center. I assume that the roads/bridges are still open/working on the weekend due to the port traffic. If you are dropping off at the airport, the driver would take the freeway (or I would) and this wouldn't be an issue.

From downtown, you go over one bridge to Terminal Island, home to most of the Port of Long Beach (which replaced the Terminal Island Naval Base and Shipyard) then over another to San Pedro, the home of the World Cruise Center (San Pedro is a neighborhood within the City of Los Angeles.)

Awesome - thanks for the suggestions. I'm returning the car to the NOT airport location, not knowing any better, it looked closer. Hoping to catch an Uber of Lyft to the terminal (100 Swinford?), drop the bags, and then head over to the Brewery for lunch before boarding.

We will be arriving at LA airport at 07;30 am on a Sunday morning for an Hawaiian cruise on the Star Princess. We plan to get a shuttle to the cruise terminal. My question is what time does the terminal open and how early can we drop bags off? Ideally we would like to drop them off as early as possible and then find somewhere to have breakfast. Any advice will be appreciated.

We will be arriving at LA airport at 07;30 am on a Sunday morning for an Hawaiian cruise on the Star Princess. We plan to get a shuttle to the cruise terminal. My question is what time does the terminal open and how early can we drop bags off? Ideally we would like to drop them off as early as possible and then find somewhere to have breakfast. Any advice will be appreciated.

I'm not sure how early you can drop your bags off at the terminal but you usually can't board until about 12 at the earliest.

For breakfast, there are a few places near the port. Think Cafe is decent and a long-ish walk (~1 mile) but there is paved sidewalk the whole way.

If you want to take a taxi or Uber, try Pacific Diner. It's about a 5-10 minute drive but really good breakfast. It will be busy on Sunday's but the patio is nice and they have heaters if you are cold.

I've never gotten to San Pedro that early...but, what I've found, in general (I've arrived in Florida on redeyes) is that they don't want to take on baggage until they've disposed of the baggage for the previous cruise. The baggage handlers are busy and the staging areas are being used. Figure they'll be ready for the new baggage at 9:00-10:00 at the very earliest. If you plane arrives at LAX at 7:30 AND IS ON TIME, figure it is going to take you a half an hour to actually get off the plane, and make it through the terminal to baggage claim...then figure you likely wait another 15-30 minutes at baggage claim waiting for your luggage...So, you might be able to pick up ground transportation by 8:30 at the earliest, if you are lucky. If you have a limo waiting or if you are taking a taxi, you could get away quick...If it's a shared shuttle, you may waste more time loading on other passengers. In either event, you then have a 20 mile ride to the pier...On a Sunday morning, traffic should be light, so figure a half an hour.

So, at the earliest, you are getting to the pier around 9:00. At that point, they MAY be willing to take your luggage. Try being really nice and ready to offer a nice tip. Tell them you just came in on an overnight flight and are REALLY hungry and would appreciate being able to leave your luggage so you can go find some breakfast without dragging your luggage all over San Pedro.

The closest breakfast you will find to the terminal is at the Grinder:

http://www.grinderrestaurants.com/home

It's at 5th and Harbor--virtually across the street from the pier. If you can't leave your luggage and have to take it with you to breakfast (and the luggage is on wheels), it's still workable...Harbor is the main street that fronts the Cruise Terminal...docked next to the cruise piers is the USS Iowa...The other end of the Iowa is approximately at 5th Street. So, if you walk to the far end of the big parking lot, exit the lot and cross Harbor Blvd, you will be within a half a block of the Grinder.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Grinder/@33.7444306,-118.2787665,1366m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!1m2!2m1!1srestaurants+san+pedro!3m4!1s0x0:0x1f105cc787c5363a!8m2!3d33.7402129!4d-118.2799613

Good luck.

Edited by Bruin Steve

Hi from the UK.

We arrive at San Pedro cruise port on Tuesday 24 Jan by cruise ship. Pier 93

We have just a few hours there and have no interest in going into the city of LA as we have seen the must do sights there on previous holidays.

We would like to stay in the San Pedro area and see what is there.

Do the Cruise port put on a shuttle to get out of the port area into main town or how easy is it to get a taxi and what is the approx cost?

What do the locals recommend seeing in the area.

We do have some walking difficulties but can walk short distances.

We also need a supermarket or grocery store to stock up on cabin essentials as our next port of call is Hawaii. Would a taxi take us to Vons or Ralph's or is it too close to the port for it to be worth while?

Thanks in advance for any local knowledge which is always very much appreciated.

Sue

Hi from the UK.

We arrive at San Pedro cruise port on Tuesday 24 Jan by cruise ship. Pier 93

We have just a few hours there and have no interest in going into the city of LA as we have seen the must do sights there on previous holidays.

We would like to stay in the San Pedro area and see what is there.

Do the Cruise port put on a shuttle to get out of the port area into main town or how easy is it to get a taxi and what is the approx cost?

What do the locals recommend seeing in the area.

We do have some walking difficulties but can walk short distances.

We also need a supermarket or grocery store to stock up on cabin essentials as our next port of call is Hawaii. Would a taxi take us to Vons or Ralph's or is it too close to the port for it to be worth while?

Thanks in advance for any local knowledge which is always very much appreciated.

Sue

Sue,

San Pedro is a fairly small town with the downtown area very close to the cruise terminal. What there "is to see" there is, basically, the USS Iowa--which is right next to the cruise terminal:

http://www.pacificbattleship.com/

...the Cabrillo Aquarium:

http://www.cabrillomarineaquarium.org/

...the Los Angeles Maritime Museum:

http://www.lamaritimemuseum.org/

...the SS Lane Victory:

http://www.lanevictory.org/index.php

The Maritime Museum is a couple of blocks further down the waterfront from the Iowa...while the Lane Victory and the Cabrillo Aquarium are a distance away near the mouth of the harbor. There is a trolley (which has been, at times, free and, at times $1...which runs along the waterfront which would bring you to all of these BUT it has been in and out of service due to redevelopment. I am not sure if it will be in operation or not at the time of your visit...keep checking back closer to the dates...

http://www.sanpedrobid.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/TrolleySchedule.pdf

About 6-8 miles away, in Downtown Long Beach, across the harbor, there is the more impressive Aquarium of the Pacific:

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/

...and the Queen Mary:

http://www.queenmary.com/

These would require a taxi or Uber...

The closest major supermarket chains to the cruise pier are a Vons at 12th and Gaffey and a Ralphs at Western and Capitol...either would require a taxi or Uber...

Good luck...

I've never gotten to San Pedro that early...but, what I've found, in general (I've arrived in Florida on redeyes) is that they don't want to take on baggage until they've disposed of the baggage for the previous cruise. The baggage handlers are busy and the staging areas are being used. Figure they'll be ready for the new baggage at 9:00-10:00 at the very earliest. If you plane arrives at LAX at 7:30 AND IS ON TIME, figure it is going to take you a half an hour to actually get off the plane, and make it through the terminal to baggage claim...then figure you likely wait another 15-30 minutes at baggage claim waiting for your luggage...So, you might be able to pick up ground transportation by 8:30 at the earliest, if you are lucky. If you have a limo waiting or if you are taking a taxi, you could get away quick...If it's a shared shuttle, you may waste more time loading on other passengers. In either event, you then have a 20 mile ride to the pier...On a Sunday morning, traffic should be light, so figure a half an hour.

So, at the earliest, you are getting to the pier around 9:00. At that point, they MAY be willing to take your luggage. Try being really nice and ready to offer a nice tip. Tell them you just came in on an overnight flight and are REALLY hungry and would appreciate being able to leave your luggage so you can go find some breakfast without dragging your luggage all over San Pedro.

The closest breakfast you will find to the terminal is at the Grinder:

http://www.grinderrestaurants.com/home

It's at 5th and Harbor--virtually across the street from the pier. If you can't leave your luggage and have to take it with you to breakfast (and the luggage is on wheels), it's still workable...Harbor is the main street that fronts the Cruise Terminal...docked next to the cruise piers is the USS Iowa...The other end of the Iowa is approximately at 5th Street. So, if you walk to the far end of the big parking lot, exit the lot and cross Harbor Blvd, you will be within a half a block of the Grinder.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Grinder/@33.7444306,-118.2787665,1366m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m8!1m2!2m1!1srestaurants+san+pedro!3m4!1s0x0:0x1f105cc787c5363a!8m2!3d33.7402129!4d-118.2799613

Good luck.

Great advice many thanks.

I'm not sure how early you can drop your bags off at the terminal but you usually can't board until about 12 at the earliest.

For breakfast, there are a few places near the port. Think Cafe is decent and a long-ish walk (~1 mile) but there is paved sidewalk the whole way.

If you want to take a taxi or Uber, try Pacific Diner. It's about a 5-10 minute drive but really good breakfast. It will be busy on Sunday's but the patio is nice and they have heaters if you are cold.

Thank you for your suggestions.