San Pedro from a San Pedran

Wineaux

Thanks for the information! I'll have to price check Hertz and Enterprise.

Since the car rental agencies are closed on Sundays, the plan is to park the car at Crowne Plaza on Sunday night, spend the night, and then return the car Monday morning before beginning the cruise. Have you ever had any problems parking your rental car at the Crowne Plaza? I'm most concerned about getting our car back in a timely manner Monday morning.

Since we'll be dropping off the car at the rental agency right before boarding the cruise, would you recommend walking to the pier or calling a cab/lyft/uber?

That makes sense...Hertz and Enterprise are right there. Maybe put your car in self parking rather than valet. What I would consider doing is to use the car to drop off the luggage at the pier, then bring it back to Hertz or Enterprise, then walk back to the pier, though, if you have issues walking, it's a VERY short Uber ride. Heck, the car rental offices MIGHT even give you a ride back to the pier (ask them about it). But the walk is only about 4 blocks, flat and with only one major street to cross (with a traffic signal). It is literally only one block east to Harbor Blvd., cross the street and turn left...two short blocks along Harbor, then you are at the World Cruise Center parking lot, in front of the USS Iowa...cut through the parking lot to whichever berth your ship is at...

Hi, we plan a cruise from LA to Southamerica.

As a person who never visited LA I feel totaly overwhelmed. :(

Princess offers the Marriott at the Airport. We will stay in LA for 3 days and don't like to stay near the airport. Can you tell me which area is a good idea for a first visitor? We don't like to rent a car, because we think the traffic is horrible, so tell me something about public transportation.

What is a must to see?? Feel like a very stupid person, but LA is to big to do a useful research:confused::confused::confused::confused:, so HELP please

Princess offers the Marriott at the Airport. We will stay in LA for 3 days and don't like to stay near the airport. Can you tell me which area is a good idea for a first visitor? We don't like to rent a car, because we think the traffic is horrible, so tell me something about public transportation.

What is a must to see?? Feel like a very stupid person, but LA is to big to do a useful research:confused::confused::confused::confused:, so HELP please

I think I would decide what I want to see--Los Angeles itself is a huge city and the area that most consider Los Angeles is even bigger.

Do you want to go to Disneyland Resort? Universal Studios? Getty Museum? The new Broad Museum? Tour Hollywood?

The actual downtown area of LA does have fairly good public transportation--the metro to get from it to Hollywood and Universal Studios. I think there is a new line to Santa Monica.

I would not stay at the LAX Marriott either other than you would have Princess to help with the baggage and the transfers. I find the pre and post cruise add ons offered by all cruise lines is about double what you would pay if you planned it yourself.

If you post what you want to do, I think people here or are the Los Angeles forum at TripAdvisor would be able to provide better answers to your question.

Yes...DON'T stay right at LAX--industrial area with little nearby except the airport.

Stay in SANTA MONICA--specifically, the area around the Third Street Promenade, Santa Monica Pier and Palisades Park. Here's why: First, it is a nice, upscale area with great weather. Lots of stuff to see and do in the immediate very walkable area. If you want to take a tour to see the major tourist sights of the Los Angeles area, all of the major tour companies in the area will do pick-ups at the Santa Monica hotels and the HOHO Bus tour uses Santa Monica as a "hub". There are lots of restaurants of all sorts in the area and there is plenty of nightlife to be found just strolling along the Third Street Promenade--a pedestrian only shopping area that draws a lot of street performers and such. Palisades Park is along the cliffs with incredible views of the beach, the pier and the Pacific Ocean. It is a short Uber ride to the famous Venice Beach Boardwalk (with the body builders on the beach, the girls in bikinis roller skating, etc.). If you want to visit museums, it is also a short Uber or taxi ride to the Getty Villa (antiquities collection)--just up the coast a couple of miles or to the Getty Center (art museum).

The best hotels in Santa Monica are the Loews, Marriott Le Merigot, Fairmont Miramar, Shutters-on-the-Beach...The Wyndham is at a great location, right off the Third Street Promenade and very near the Pier. There are a few one-of-a-kind hotels along Ocean Avenue opposite Palisades Park. The Huntley is nice, though not on the beach or along Ocean Avenue, but very convenient to Third Street. For a cheaper, sort of "funky" hotel, I know people who like the CarMar--a converted 1950s apartment building, but well located. The Sheraton Delfina and the Doubletree are a little bit out of the way, not ion as nice a location and require a few blocks walk to get to things.

Santa Monica is about 10 miles north of LAX and 30 miles north of the harbor--You should use a shuttle or car service to get there from LAX and to get from there to the pier.

Best place in the LA area to be if you won't have a rental car.

I would, for the most part, keep away from public transportation in LA--it's really not designed for tourism and you would waste a lot of time getting from any one place to another with multiple stops, changes of of routes or modes, etc. and likely going through a lot of bad areas of time. Uber is a great way to get around...or, one exception to the public transportation advice might be, if, for example, you wanted to go from Santa Monica to Venice Beach and back, the Santa Monica "Big Blue Bus" is not bad for a short trip like that. If you plan your days well, you might find that it will be more pleasant to do a tour with one of your days--that would get you to Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, etc. and spend the other largely in the Santa Monica area with maybe a side trip to one of the Gettys and/or Venice Beach.

Good luck...

I definitely agree with Steve's suggestions. See if you can take a city tour on one of the days you're here, especially if you want to see the tourism sites such as the Hollywood walk of fame, Farmers Market (it is the number one place for tourists here, believe it or not, Venice Beach, etc. I would imagine if you email the hotel you're staying in, they could recommend one of the main tour companies that will pick up from near your hotel.

We can help you better if you tell us what you're interested in. Art museums, amusement parks, ritzy shopping???

and definitely avoid the public transit system. Los Angeles and the environs is very widespread and can be daunting for even natives, so if you are concerned about driving, I wouldn't advise trying our bus system.

Hi Cruisin' Chick, thank you for your quick answer.

Our interests: hmm... it is the first time in LA so I think we will get only a small overview in 2 days. I think at first we will do a HoHo tour and than decide what looks interesting for both of us.

Be sure I ask again if I have a new question:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

We are a couple of Aussies who will be in San Pedro for a day on a cruise. We probably can't be bothered going into LA because we've been before, and we have also been to Long Beach but we've never been to San Pedro. I have a few questions about San Pedro as a destination, and hope someone can help with up to date info....I know I could read through 53 pages of threads but that's a lot......

1: I have read on the SP tourism page and on here about a shuttle. But there seem to be several different types of shuttle. Does the port run a shuttle from the port into SP town? If so does anyone have a link to where it goes to? (Car hire not an option, too scared to drive on 'wrong side' of the road).

2: People also mention a trolley. I think that's what we call a tram. It seems to not go all the time, anyone got any definitive info on that?

3: We are major foodies - would love to check out some AUTHENTIC and really local food, not bothered about ambience at all. Would like to eat some Mexican, Porto Rican or other associated 'ethnic' foods. Any suggestions?

4: We don't like group tours, love to do our own thing but I've recently got knee problems so can't walk miles and miles like we used to. We love to see 'how the locals live' and I'm into photography. Any suggestions?

5: I read about a fountain like the Bellagio, but all the YouTube videos of this are really old - is it still there?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

JMO - but San Pedro is not a great things-to-do/comfort port. Yes - there is the short trolley ride when available, some port side shops, rent-a-car outlets for a drive-about - but not much more unless going into Long Beach. We go pre-cruise from LAX to one of the few better SP port hotel (not center city) grab dinner & back to hotel for next day taxi to port.

1: I have read on the SP tourism page and on here about a shuttle. But there seem to be several different types of shuttle. Does the port run a shuttle from the port into SP town? If so does anyone have a link to where it goes to? (Car hire not an option, too scared to drive on 'wrong side' of the road).

When we locals refer to a "shuttle", we're usually talking about a shared van service that provides, for a fee, rides from the airport or from the port to a hotel or other location--and return trips...not what you are looking for here.

2: People also mention a trolley. I think that's what we call a tram. It seems to not go all the time, anyone got any definitive info on that?

There used to be a "trolley"...basically a small, old fashioned train on fixed tracks...that went up and down along the waterfront. But, it was discontinued a year or two ago due to redevelopment of the waterfront area. Apparently, it has been replaced, for the time being, by a free bus service using antique replica buses. Unfortunately, these only operate on weekends with limited hours...see here:

http://www.sanpedrobid.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/TrolleySchedule.pdf

3: We are major foodies - would love to check out some AUTHENTIC and really local food, not bothered about ambience at all. Would like to eat some Mexican, Porto Rican or other associated 'ethnic' foods. Any suggestions?

First of all, you won't find Puerto Rican food here in California. Not a major Puerto Rican population here...more an East Coast thing. Mexican food you will find here is generally what would be called "Cal Mex"...it is Mexican food that developed here in California...very different from what you would find in Central Mexico. Dependence is on Flour tortillas rather than Corn. Most of Mexico doesn't grow wheat, so our flour tortillas are different...and result in a lot of dishes wrapped in large soft tortillas...like burritos or enchiladas. Seafood is also important as "fish tacos" were "invented" in Baja California--close to us. The major Mexican food eateries near the cruise terminal are "Americanized" versions of the cuisine...The Green Onion would be a good choice...Also, Acapulco...which has a nice location right on the water...is actually part of a small local chain. Both will give you a nice lunch of this style food and are within close walking distance to the pier.

http://www.greenonionmexicanrestaurant.com/about.html

https://www.acapulcorestaurants.com/

Another thought for something somewhat ethnic and somewhat specific to San Pedro is to visit one of the seafood establishments in the Ports o' Call Village...

4: We don't like group tours, love to do our own thing but I've recently got knee problems so can't walk miles and miles like we used to. We love to see 'how the locals live' and I'm into photography. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, there's not all that much to San Pedro with easy transportation unless you brave renting a car...But, as a photographer, the town itself can be interesting. If that trolley replica is running when you are there, it will get you around the town to some interesting places. Otherwise, the USS Iowa tour is right next to the cruise port and might be worth your time...There is also a small maritime museum nearby. If your knee isn't too bad, I'd say to just walk slowly and stop a lot, planning out your visit to stay along the waterfront and keep to short distances at any one time. If you get all the way down to, say, the yacht harbor or Ports o'Call and your knee is bothering, then take a taxi or Uber back to the ship.

5: I read about a fountain like the Bellagio, but all the YouTube videos of this are really old - is it still there?

Yes, right in front of the cruise terminal...but not all that exciting...

Where is the nearest Walmart or Target store in a decent neighborhood?

Nearest of either is Target--

1701 N Gaffey St, San Pedro, CA 90731

About 1.7-2 miles away depending on route...

Nearest Walmarts are in Torrance...

19503 Normandie Ave, Torrance, CA 90501

About 10 miles from the port...just off the 405 about half way from LAX...

Or

22015 Hawthorne Blvd, Torrance, CA 90503...

Also about 9.5 to 10 miles away at the Del Amo Mall...with LOTS of other shopping, including another Target...

Hi

Just found this page and it has loads of great information. We are a party of 4 (with suitcases) arriving on the NCL Jewel on Sunday 12th of March, but our flight home from LAX is not departing until 8 pm!

Can you advise if there is a suitable tour, either Long Beach or Los Angeles, that we could take (bearing in mind that this is a Sunday) in order to spend the day rather than going direct to LAX and sitting in the airport all day.

HI Bruin Steve, thank you so much for the comprehensive response, it's greatly appreciated. I was also interested to see your response to someone else about Target and Walmart. We don't have Walmart here and believe it or not I wouldn't mind seeing one. Would that be difficult to get to for a novice?

Hi

Just found this page and it has loads of great information. We are a party of 4 (with suitcases) arriving on the NCL Jewel on Sunday 12th of March, but our flight home from LAX is not departing until 8 pm!

Can you advise if there is a suitable tour, either Long Beach or Los Angeles, that we could take (bearing in mind that this is a Sunday) in order to spend the day rather than going direct to LAX and sitting in the airport all day.

Check out Sunseeker Tours:

http://www.sunseekertours.us/

They're based in Long Beach and will do tours of LA with pick up at the cruise terminals and drop-off at LAX...

HI Bruin Steve, thank you so much for the comprehensive response, it's greatly appreciated. I was also interested to see your response to someone else about Target and Walmart. We don't have Walmart here and believe it or not I wouldn't mind seeing one. Would that be difficult to get to for a novice?

Assuming you are staying in San Pedro pre- or post-cruise, you'd be going ten miles each way to get to one of those two Walmarts... There really is no great public transportation for that...For either Walmart, it would take about 2-3 buses and an hour to an hour and a half each way.

The better alternative would be Uber...Cost would be about $10-15 each way...but direct, door-to-door. Of course, it really is just a big store...really nothing special.

OTOH, if you do a Mexican Riviera cruise, there's a Walmart right across the highway from the cruise pier in Puerto Vallarta...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of suggestions for transportation and I am leaning towards hiring a private car from a company recommended on here, but I have one concern. If disembarkation is delayed, will the car wait? Will they send a car when we finally make it off the ship? I am just concerned about going through the hassle and worry of a delay to then find out we don't have a ride to LAX.

Just back from San Pedro - Taxi was flat rate $45.00 LGB to San Pedro/port, UBER was $26.50 from port to LGB.

Thank you. Sorry that I missed yr response and didn't reply earlier [emoji3]

I see a lot of suggestions for transportation and I am leaning towards hiring a private car from a company recommended on here, but I have one concern. If disembarkation is delayed, will the car wait? Will they send a car when we finally make it off the ship? I am just concerned about going through the hassle and worry of a delay to then find out we don't have a ride to LAX.

This is one of those occasions when we use a ship's transfer --

I can only speak for one private car service, and the one we use will wait and telephone you if necessary. Very professional company. They meet and greet us at LAX and handle our luggage.:)