Toilet Paper (2-ply)

cruisincdns

Sorry for the nature of this thread, but, does anyone know if there are restrictions for using 2-ply toilet paper onboard Princess ships with their vacuum sanitation system? Don`t want to be responsible for a system failure but would prefer to use 2-ply and bring our own...:eek:

Paul

Sorry for the nature of this thread, but, does anyone know if there are restrictions for using 2-ply toilet paper onboard Princess ships with their vacuum sanitation system? Don`t want to be responsible for a system failure but would prefer to use 2-ply and bring our own...:eek:
If you'd like your, and your neighbor's, toilets to keep working, reconsider bringing your own. There's nothing worse than a non-working toilet. The paper used onboard the ship is there for a reason. Anything else will, as you say, cause a system failure. Have fun!

If you'd like your, and your neighbor's, toilets to keep working, reconsider bringing your own. There's nothing worse than a non-working toilet. The paper used onboard the ship is there for a reason. Anything else will, as you say, cause a system failure. Have fun!

Thanks for the replies. That is what we kinda thought but we also thought we would put it out there. Don`t want to jeopardize anyone`s toilets especially our own. :D

Paul

Hi There

Used to be a clip on youtube that was from a TV show about ship building

much testing of ships loo systems was done to find the moste effective,

the valc system requires paper etc to break down while in transit along the pipe work.

now having been on a ship where loos stopped not fun, OK for a few minutes not for hours then for days you start to plan your day around loo stops

bottom line only put down the loo what Princess gives you,

have been on boats were paper was not allowed down the loo this had to be bagged and taken off the boat with you.

yours Shogun

It's actually not so much the 2-ply as the weave and material.. If you think about what else goes down with the paper, an extra mil of thickness really won't make a difference as much as using a huge amount..

You can get 2-ply tissue for use with vac systems from marine supply warehouses, but I don't think I would go quite that far...

Basically, as I understand it, the paper used degrades quicker in less water.

Our toilet stopped working for a few hours on the Island Princess last month. I happened to use it after I thought it was working again. Unfortunately it was a temporary fix--so the evidence of my use stayed there for a couple of hours. When I talked to our cabin steward, he said all of the toilets were out of commission on our whole corridor (port side of the Plaza Deck). I later found out it was the whole section on the port side of the ship.

This same question popped into my head on my recent cruise, but not wanting to bugger up the system I knew enough to just use what they gave us.

However, you'd think in this day and age they could come up with something better than recycled sandpaper.

Hi Loonbeam,

If you can find bit on you tube, you will see paper is designed to break down along what ever goes down there as it travels along the pipe work,

if you think about it the pipes run for hundreds of yards the only way

to move something that distance is in a near liquid state.

even using ships paper the system breaks down every day some place on a ship.

have been on a cruise were the captain had to make a speech he said due to the very high number of first time cruisers that did not know about vac loos, the ship had been badly affected by blocked loos through out the ship.

yours shogun

Paul

You do realize that if you clog up the system with your toilet paper and they can trace it to your cabin - they turn off your toilet for the rest of the cruise.

You certainly do not want to have to hold it for 7 days. That might make you feel a bit uncomfortable and would certainly reduce the amount of food that you could eat.

DON

Archived