Catholic services

Railengr

Langley Cruisers .. I apologize .. I actually quoted the wrong poster.

Meant to quote fireflygal .. her comment about not cruising if Sunday is a sea day and cannot attend mass.

I find a little time alone with God and the Word on my balcony looking out at the massive sea which he created does satisfy my soul :D

Thank you and now that you've explained it, that does make more sense. :p

We went on a family cruise (Caribbean) a few years ago and every night there were thunderstorms at sea. Our daughter said that she never felt closer to the Lord than in the middle of that great big sea with the thunder rolling all around her....

He is, quite simply, magnificent. :)

Thank you and now that you've explained it, that does make more sense. :p

We went on a family cruise (Caribbean) a few years ago and every night there were thunderstorms at sea. Our daughter said that she never felt closer to the Lord than in the middle of that great big sea with the thunder rolling all around her....

He is, quite simply, magnificent. :)

Glad you came back and saw my apology :D

I'm sure the post was not meant to be intolerant, and I certainly wouldn't want to suggest that YOU were the one who was displaying an ignorance of other religions, but there is a disconnect here. As an article of our faith, only an ordained Catholic priest can consecrate the host. Remember, unlike many (though I don't know if it is all) protestant denominations we believe in transubstantiation -- that the host, through the intercession of the priest, actually becomes the body and blood of Christ. Thus, to a Catholic, while we can obviously enjoy the Christian fellowship of our brothers and sisters at a non-Catholic service, to receive what we understand and believe to be Holy Communion we would have to be at a Catholic mass.

I don't understand how this "educates" the poster. I did not understand that he was saying that Roman Catholics do not have an obligation attend Mass weekly. He was saying that one poster, who may also not have meant offense, seemed to imply that non Roman Catholics were not Christian.

As an Episcopalian, I am free to believe that the Host is either truly the Body and Blood, or that it is symbolic. And some days I do. Both<G>.

Back to cruising ... on a Celebrity Mediterranean cruise I was wearing "A woman's place is in the House of Bishops" t-shirt. A woman came up to me and said she wanted me to meet her brother, who was cruising with her. Turns out the brother was a Roman Catholic priest. And he celebrated Mass on Board every day.

el henry

I don't understand how this "educates" the poster. I did not understand that he was saying that Roman Catholics do not have an obligation attend Mass weekly. He was saying that one poster, who may also not have meant offense, seemed to imply that non Roman Catholics were not Christian.

As an Episcopalian, I am free to believe that the Host is either truly the Body and Blood, or that it is symbolic. And some days I do. Both<G>.

Back to cruising ... on a Celebrity Mediterranean cruise I was wearing "A woman's place is in the House of Bishops" t-shirt. A woman came up to me and said she wanted me to meet her brother, who was cruising with her. Turns out the brother was a Roman Catholic priest. And he celebrated Mass on Board every day.

el henry

I'm sorry el henry, but that's not what the post I responded to said. It characterized as "intolerant" and "ignorant of other religions" a post that suggested that in order to receive Holy Communion, a Catholic would have to attend a Catholic mass, rather than services of another Christian denomination. I was merely pointing out that given the Catholic belief that Holy Communion requires the consecration of the host by an ordained Catholic priest, a Catholic cannot receive what we understand and believe to be Holy Communion at a non-Catholic service. I certainly am aware that other Christian denominations view Holy Communion differently, and fully respect their right to do so, but that was not the point of the response.

We had a priest on the transatlantic last year fopr dily mass but none on any other crusie and I would like to have a priest on my crusie.

You can have a priest on your cruise any time that you want one. All you have to do it find one who is willing to cruise and then pay their fare. Perhaps you can start a priest cruising collection fund to pay for it.

I do not want to pay for your priest out of my fare and I am reasonably certain that many of the non-catholic Christians as well as those of us who do not believe in Christianity would feel the same.

DON

You can have a priest on your cruise any time that you want one. All you have to do it find one who is willing to cruise and then pay their fare. Perhaps you can start a priest cruising collection fund to pay for it.

I do not want to pay for your priest out of my fare and I am reasonably certain that many of the non-catholic Christians as well as those of us who do not believe in Christianity would feel the same.

DON

The poster that you quoted said that he/she would like to have a priest. The person did NOT say that the cruise line should be paying one to be on the ship. No one was suggesting that part of YOUR or anyone else's fare should to towards that salary.

Have been lurking on this thread since it started up yesterday or so, and have been finding the back and forth fascinating ...

For what it's worth, I'm Jewish, my wife is Lutheran, and our daughter (adopted) we suspect was baptized Catholic when she was born, and we'd like to think that we sort of have all our bases covered. This of course has nothing to do with the thread at hand, for which I apologize, but have enjoyed reading the various posts on this subject.

Michael

Have been lurking on this thread since it started up yesterday or so, and have been finding the back and forth fascinating ...

For what it's worth, I'm Jewish, my wife is Lutheran, and our daughter (adopted) we suspect was baptized Catholic when she was born, and we'd like to think that we sort of have all our bases covered. This of course has nothing to do with the thread at hand, for which I apologize, but have enjoyed reading the various posts on this subject.

Michael

What I fine fascinating is that the poor OP simply wanted to know if services for the religion that he/she belongs to would be available. It was a very simply inquiry. The very next post challenges the question and on it goes all the way to the point someone not wanting to have any expense on his part for those serves to be provided. Unreal.

...and on it goes all the way to the point someone not wanting to have any expense on his part for those serves to be provided. Unreal.

For the sake of argument, if there were some kind of passenger surcharge to provide religious services what's the problem if somone feels they shouldn't have to pay it?

Pointless argument, there is no such surcharge.

I didn't say that there was.

Ocean Boy used objecting to subsidizing religious services as an example of an "unreal" point of view. I'm curious to know what's unreal about it.

That is true. Fortunately, Lizcourt supplied the needed information for you.

I was fully aware of the doctrine of transubstantiation in the Catholic church before Lizcourt's explanation. What I was objecting to was the statement in the post I quoted that Holy Communion is not available at "Christian" services....perhaps a disconnect in semantics, but not in my understanding of Roman Catholicism.

I didn't say that there was.

Ocean Boy used objecting to subsidizing religious services as an example of an "unreal" point of view. I'm curious to know what's unreal about it.

I don't think that was the point he was making but I see your point. (For what it's worth I think what Ocean Boy was saying was that someone was objecting to something (a surcharge) that doesn't exist and that no one suggested be paid.)

This thread caught my eye because when we cruise, we usually look to see if someone is having a Catholic Mass onboard. And, yes, we have attended the non-denominational Christian services a few times as well. However, I cannot believe that all the first poster asked was if someone knew about Mass onboard the ship and the thread has become an argument over religious viewpoints. Just amazing... :confused:

[quote name='Rala']I was fully aware of the doctrine of transubstantiation in the Catholic church before Lizcourt's explanation. What I was objecting to was the statement in the post I quoted that Holy Communion is not available at "Christian" services....perhaps a disconnect in semantics, but not in my understanding of Roman Catholicism.[/QUOTE]

Thats cool. It just wasn't how it came across. Then it appears that there was no ignorance on anyone's part. The poster should have just been more specific and said that "Holy Communion" is not viewed the same way in different denominations. I do see where it could have been implied by the post that Communion does not exit in other denominations.

[quote name='Attapooch']For the sake of argument, if there were some kind of passenger surcharge to provide religious services what's the problem if somone feels they shouldn't have to pay it?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sparks1093']I don't think that was the point he was making but I see your point. [COLOR="Red"](For what it's worth I think what Ocean Boy was saying was that someone was objecting to something (a surcharge) that doesn't exist and that no one suggested be paid[/COLOR].)[/QUOTE]

Yes that is exactly what I was saying.

[quote name='Attapooch']I didn't say that there was.

Ocean Boy used objecting to subsidizing religious services as an example of an "unreal" point of view. I'm curious to know what's unreal about it.[/QUOTE]

No you got it all wrong. I was not commenting on the point of view. What I find "unreal" is how such a simple question from the OP turned this into the thread that it has become. Once again...unreal.

[quote name='CGBCruiser']This thread caught my eye because when we cruise, we usually look to see if someone is having a Catholic Mass onboard. And, yes, we have attended the non-denominational Christian services a few times as well. However, I cannot believe that all the first poster asked was if someone knew about Mass onboard the ship and the thread has become an argument over religious viewpoints. [COLOR="Red"]Just amazing[/COLOR]... :confused:[/QUOTE]

Yup, unreal.

[quote name='CGBCruiser']...and the thread has become an argument over religious viewpoints. Just amazing... :confused:[/quote]

[quote name='Ocean Boy']Yup, unreal.[/quote]

It's not amazing or unreal, actually. You have a public discussion forum with thousands of members of all faiths and some of no faith. A question was posed and answers were provided to the best of people's ability, plus commentary and opinion about the subject from others. [B]It is really no different than any other thread on these boards.[/B] [U]Think about it[/U]. :)

[quote name='Langley Cruisers']It's not amazing or unreal, actually. You have a public discussion forum with thousands of members of all faiths and some of no faith. A question was posed and answers were provided to the best of people's ability, plus commentary and opinion about the subject from others. [B]It is really no different than any other thread on these boards.[/B] [U]Think about it[/U]. :)[/QUOTE]

I already thought about it.

Archived