Catholic services

Railengr

Does anyone know if there are Catholic services on the Oasis of the Seas?

Thankyou

Not to be stirring the pot, but why not "Christian services?"

In any case, on our Oasis cruise, all they had was a lame video featuring Joel Osteen. It was really quite offensive and bad theology, since it made the ridiculous claim that God would financially bless those who supported his ministry. Sad indeed.

RCCL needs to provide a simple non-denominational service. Surely, there must be someone on board who could do this!

Looking for a Catholic Mass when none is available onboard the ship. Doesn't happen on HAL. Used to be available on Celebrity but not anymore. Found a Mass in one of the ports that we will be visiting on a RCCL cruise on a Sunday in March. Got the time and different churches close to the port off the computer. We will attend Mass. If the ship is at sea on a Sunday, I don't cruise that cruise.

fireflygal

I have sailed many times on RCI and have not seen a Catholic service outside of holiday times like Easter. There may be a Friday Jewish service, and a non-denominational service (video presentation, lately) on one of the other days. Have never seen a Catholic service.

You do know that God is omnipresent and spends his Sundays on every cruise ship and in every church.

I have sailed many times on RCI and have not seen a Catholic service outside of holiday times like Easter. There may be a Friday Jewish service, and a non-denominational service (video presentation, lately) on one of the other days. Have never seen a Catholic service.

There have been Catholic services on every Transatlantic we've done (5) along with some of the longer non-TA cruises and the priest generally does a non-denominational service after Mass. I've seen Sabbath services on the TAs as well.

For the last 4 years my family has cruised, there has been a Catholic service on Sunday during President's Week sailings on Navigator, Freedom, and Liberty. I don't know why there has always been. Maybe because it's a crowded week or school is out? There was also a Catholic mass on Easter last year on Freedom. For the Easter trip, I called RCCI to inquire and they told me there would be a mass. Once we went in November and I think there was a Christian non-denom service.

You do know that God is omnipresent and spends his Sundays on every cruise ship and in every church.

I am absolutely aware that our gracious Heavenly Father is omnipresent.... it's only one of the many reasons why I love Him. :) Curious as to why you directed that comment toward me? :confused:

There have been Catholic services on every Transatlantic we've done (5) along with some of the longer non-TA cruises and the priest generally does a non-denominational service after Mass. I've seen Sabbath services on the TAs as well.

That has been my experience as well! We have done two Transatlantic cruises and a 14 day Panama canal and in all of them there was a priest celebrating daily mass (I only attended on Sundays.... shame on me!)

I am absolutely aware that our gracious Heavenly Father is omnipresent.... it's only one of the many reasons why I love Him. :) Curious as to why you directed that comment toward me? :confused:

Langley Cruisers .. I apologize .. I actually quoted the wrong poster.

Meant to quote fireflygal .. her comment about not cruising if Sunday is a sea day and cannot attend mass.

I find a little time alone with God and the Word on my balcony looking out at the massive sea which he created does satisfy my soul :D

Five years ago on the Enchantment, about a dozen of us gathered for an advertised non-denominational Christian service. Only problem was, no one showed up to lead it. As I am an ordained Deacon in a Protestant church, I volunteered, and ended up doing it. But I did not serve Communion, as I am certainly not authorized to do that.

If Royal Caribbean wants to let me ride for free on their ships, I would be more than happy to continue performing this service at no additional charge! :)

I find a little time alone with God and the Word on my balcony looking out at the massive sea which he created does satisfy my soul :D

Catholics do that too, but many seek the Eucharist and try to satisfy the requirement to attend Sunday Mass even while on vacation.

Dorothy

Most people who are Catholic want to receive Holy Communion at Mass, which is not available at "Christian services".

Excuse me, but there are many, in fact, most Christian denominations other than Roman Catholic that also offer Holy Communion. This reminds me of the educated Catholic woman who came to a meeting(non-religious) at my protestant church and upon looking into the sanctuary exclaimed, "Oh, you have a cross on the altar. I didn't know you believed in that. "

I don't usually get into religious discussions, but the above comment needed clarifying. Intolerance and ignorance of other religions is not a good thing.

I have been wondering that myself, I plan to have the readings and study it in my Bible if they don't have Mass on the ship but it would be great if there was a priest.

I am on the Oasis in February and I am hoping for one.

Also on the Oasis in February and have been looking into the issue since my Mom in particular HATES to miss Sunday mass no matter what. Fortunately, we will be in Nassau on Sunday. St. Francis Xavier Cathedral appears to be within walking distance of the pier and has 11 am services.

Excuse me, but there are many, in fact, most Christian denominations other than Roman Catholic that also offer Holy Communion. This reminds me of the educated Catholic woman who came to a meeting(non-religious) at my protestant church and upon looking into the sanctuary exclaimed, "Oh, you have a cross on the altar. I didn't know you believed in that. "

I don't usually get into religious discussions, but the above comment needed clarifying. Intolerance and ignorance of other religions is not a good thing.

I'm sure the post was not meant to be intolerant, and I certainly wouldn't want to suggest that YOU were the one who was displaying an ignorance of other religions, but there is a disconnect here. As an article of our faith, only an ordained Catholic priest can consecrate the host. Remember, unlike many (though I don't know if it is all) protestant denominations we believe in transubstantiation -- that the host, through the intercession of the priest, actually becomes the body and blood of Christ. Thus, to a Catholic, while we can obviously enjoy the Christian fellowship of our brothers and sisters at a non-Catholic service, to receive what we understand and believe to be Holy Communion we would have to be at a Catholic mass.

I'm sure the post was not meant to be intolerant, and I certainly wouldn't want to suggest that YOU were the one who was displaying an ignorance of other religions, but there is a disconnect here. As an article of our faith, only an ordained Catholic priest can consecrate the host. Remember, unlike many (though I don't know if it is all) protestant denominations we believe in transubstantiation -- that the host, through the intercession of the priest, actually becomes the body and blood of Christ. Thus, to a Catholic, while we can obviously enjoy the Christian fellowship of our brothers and sisters at a non-Catholic service, to receive what we understand and believe to be Holy Communion we would have to be at a Catholic mass.

That makes perfect sense to me.:rolleyes:

How someone could not understand that is beyond me.:eek:

Archived