Skywalkers .. What Went Wrong

dfields1814

Quite ugly. I hated it, and thought it looked very un-ship-like, not to mention the ugly (and hot during the day) glass tunnel to access it.

Well, ugly is, of course, in the eye of the beholder. From the side, I always liked the way the lines of the ship flowed up to Skywalkers. From other angles... not so good. But Skywalkers is/was certainly unique and it instantly identified a Princess ship.

With current demographics, let's face it; a Disco on any Princess ship is like Lawrence Welk having played Woodstock...

Not too sure who on here called it disco, but it's a nightclub with a DJ...which is actually what most nightclubs are anymore. Disco connotes disco music, and although you could get disco played, that's not the majority of the music.

I know people that have taken a 7 night cruise and never figured out how to get there.
Really? How about by simply asking someone?:confused:

With current demographics, let's face it; a Disco on any Princess ship is like Lawrence Welk having played Woodstock...
Too funny:D

Well, ugly is, of course, in the eye of the beholder. From the side, I always liked the way the lines of the ship flowed up to Skywalkers. From other angles... not so good. But Skywalkers is/was certainly unique and it instantly identified a Princess ship.
I agree.

• 2 weeks later...
Forget selling drinks... How about splitting the hull and sinking the ship!!

The shopping cart handle was very cool visually but placed too much torque (twist) on the hull in heavy seas. Those that remember the famous Golden Princess transatlantic crossing half dozen years ago where a great many picture windows on the promenade deck popped out can recollect the affects of excess torque.

It was a naval en-gineering eventuality...

I agree that the spoiler (not shopping cart handle) look was cool. I really like the space as an observation lounge during the day and the bar at night.

After careful consideration, I don't think I would enjoy the whole splitting the hull and sinking scenario.

I hope that the lighter materials used in subsequent builds will allow them to stay in place. I really like having an observation lounge on ships and would pick a ship with one over a ship without one based on the amount of time I spend in them.

Not too sure who on here called it disco, but it's a nightclub with a DJ...which is actually what most nightclubs are anymore. Disco connotes disco music, and although you could get disco played, that's not the majority of the music.
With the clear tiled floor and metal lattice, the dance floor was not much good for anything but stand in place and gyrate music, whether it be disco, twist, or mosh pit. The last time we danced there was when they played country music (cruising out of Texas) and one could not two-step with that floor.

Isn't DJ a Disc Jockey, which is where "disco" came from as well?

Isn't DJ a Disc Jockey, which is where "disco" came from as well?

I'm so glad I used the term connotation in my post so as to not make a complete idiot of myself:o.

I've looked up the terms (NOT for the sake of argument, but because I love learning about the origin of words)--I had not thought about it being called a disco due to a disc jockey, but because of the type of music being played.

Turns out (according to Merriam Webster dictionary)

disc jockey--term first used in early 40s

discotheque--French for record library (bibliotheque was my favorite word in French class)--first used in early 50s

disco--short for discotheque--first used in the early 60s

Sorry to get off track from "what happened to Skywalkers"--but sometimes one thing leads to another.....

Why doesn't such a nice place generate more people and income? IMHO opinion the blame rests with the DJ or whoever programs the DJ's musical choices. All the DJ had to do is check out the demographics of the cruise. If 80% of the passengers are retirees and most of those people are in their 70's and 80's and you play rap and hip hop, quess what is going to happen! I am sure there are a few in that age group that like rap/hip hop. But I would be willing to bet there are a whole lot more that do not. On the other hand if the cruise has a number of younger passengers then by all means play that music if it will bring in people to Skywalkers.

Bingo. dfields1814! You hit the nail on the head, at least insofar as the reason that no one is in Skywalkers after about 10PM. I've noted the same thing that you have. It is obvious to anyone with a brain that when the DJ starts playing music inappropriate for the demographics of the pax that everyone immediately gets up and leaves. I can assure you that if music that we liked and could dance to were played that my wife and I as well as our friends would stay there and purchase drinks while enjoying ourselves. I wrote a letter to Princess with these observations, but haven't noted any change in what the DJ plays beginning at 10PM on subsequent cruises. Can't understand their lack of comprehension. Or is it just plain obstinacy?

Lack of use and income generated by Skywalkers may not be the reason for removing it, but that doesn't make our observation any less correct. Princess should realize that a critical part of the success of their business is providing a pleasurable onboard experience. They need to play to their actual audience rather than their fantasized vision of the younger pax that they'd really prefer. After all, we're the ones paying the bill. Maybe in another thirty years or so their pax will like hip hop, but if Princess remains true to form they'll be playing some other kind of newer music that is disliked by their pax. Go figure.

Oh yes, I forgot something I intended to include in the above post.

Several comments have been made concerning the effect on the overall beauty of Princess ships produced by the hammerhead shark appearance by that monstrosity attached to the stern of Princess ships. It looks as if it were placed there as an afterthought.

But more important than a question of beauty is functionality for scenic cruising. The Crow's Nest located at the bow of HAL ships is much better than Skywalker's in that you can see where you're going rather than where you've been.

Several comments have been made concerning the effect on the overall beauty of Princess ships produced by the hammerhead shark appearance by that monstrosity attached to the stern of Princess ships. It looks as if it were placed there as an afterthought.

But more important than a question of beauty is functionality for scenic cruising. The Crow's Nest located at the bow of HAL ships is much better than Skywalker's in that you can see where you're going rather than where you've been.

I really like the look of the grand class ships with the spoiler/shopping cart handle. I spent a significant amount of time there.

This being said, the Crow's Nest on the HAL ships is a very attractive space and offers even better views because you see nothing but wide-open ocean, not even a wake.

The unattractiveness might have been a problem in the past. However, Princess has solved that problem by paying NCL to park the EPIC next to their ship - by comparison to that monstrosity no one will be looking at the Skywalkers!

The unattractiveness might have been a problem in the past. However, Princess has solved that problem by paying NCL to park the EPIC next to their ship - by comparison to that monstrosity no one will be looking at the Skywalkers!

aah, aka the Frankenship.

Over here on the Princess boards some like the look of Skywalkers and others hate it.

I don't think anybody over on the NCL boards is saying they like the look of the Frankenship from the outside.

Laughing out loud here. . .

I am very disappointed that Princess is removing Skywalkers. It is one my favorite places to read during the day. They say it is to increase the fuel efficiency. That may be the case. But I think more of a major factor in this decision is that they have all this space not generating enough income. I have been up there after 11:00 PM on numerous occasions on various cruises and it is dead up there. Sometimes we are the only ones there.

So that begs the question: Why doesn't such a nice place generate more people and income? IMHO opinion the blame rests with the DJ or whoever programs the DJ's musical choices. All the DJ had to do is check out the demographics of the cruise. If 80% of the passengers are retirees and most of those people are in their 70's and 80's and you play rap and hip hop, quess what is going to happen! I am sure there are a few in that age group that like rap/hip hop. But I would be willing to bet there are a whole lot more that do not. On the other hand if the cruise has a number of younger passengers then by all means play that music if it will bring in people to Skywalkers.

I was on a cruise that had a salsa theme in Skuwalkers from 10:00 to 11:00. Skywalkers was packed. You could hardly find a seat. Then at 11:00 the DJ started playing rap and hip hop. Within 15 minutes I would say 80% of the people had left and with them left potential income. To me you don't have to be a Phi Beta Kappa to figure that out.

So I hope this new Five One club they are making doesn't have this problem. IMHO if they persist in doing this they will have the same problem Skywalker's has... no people and no income

The basic reason that Skywalkers is being removed on the Grand is the excessive weight . On the other sister ships the structure is made from

aluminum . On the Grand it is made from steel that is a lot heavier.

That is the offical reason given by Princess.:cool:

• 1 month later...

Me thinks they should retro all the skywalker type areas to a theme based restaurant/ bar .. Like Margartaville...

Bust out the windows in the back , make it open out with some palapa/thatch decor .. Play some buffett style music ..

I know I would be in there all the time ... but I am bias towards the margaritaville party styles..

I couldn't help but notice just how busy Crooner's Lounge is. It is so busy that the overflow spills into the hallways thereby obstructing passenger flow!

This is a very popular venue, and is always full, so much so that people were actually arriving early to ensure a seat for when the entertainment started.

Why not move this venue to Skywalkers? Then there would be lots of room for everyone and the entertainers would have a stage worthy of their talents and appeal.

I think the reason this area paks them in is its loation. People in the "atrium" area hear and see the action and are drawn in. Having public rooms off the beaten path just dont seem to work unless they are up forward like on Celebrity or HAL ships. I cant wait o see this new one five room. If teh doors open out onto the deck it would be great!

As has been said in earlier posts, Princess has said that they are only removing Skywalkers from the Grand....the other Grand class ship and other ships that have Skywalkers will continue to have it. I think that those of us who enjoy the venue will continue to do so...at least for the time being.:)

If I might offer a humble opinion; I've been watching all the daily update videos from the Grand's drydock. Not only are they facinating, but the Grand Princess now looks a bit more like the Emerald or Ruby. Not necessarily a bad change.

The thing about cruise ships is that their designs are typically always determined by efforts to differentiate one line's ships from another. Skywalkers as designed on the original 3 grand class ships was something unique to Princess and has honestly never been atempted in the same way by any other line since. Eventually the Grand class vessels will be retired out of Princess, probably not for another 10 or 15 years, but it is certain that we will probably never see a suspended night club like that again.

Skywalkers gave the Grand class ships a very unique profile and rear appearance. I'll miss it, but the additions and changes they are making to the Grand in this drydock will easily make this ship viable for another 10 or more years. I commend Princess for putting money into refitting and refreshing ships and keeping them up to date. I think that is a really strong business plan for what remains one of the most recognized cruise lines out there.

I didn't read all the comments in regard to the comments/questions, but we (M & G roll call) met at Skywalker's for our April cruise. It was very nice, and plenty of room. I don't know if there is a Skywalkers on all the Princess ships, but this was the Sapphire.

I am also a big Skywalkers fan and will truly miss the "sanctuary." It was a nice, quiet place for relaxing with a book or travel journal as we sailed. By not being crowded during the day made it a special place. Access to it was "secretive" because you had to know that you could only reach it by the aft elevators and then only the two end out of the four elevators. Unlike the newer Skywalkers on more recent ships, there is a entrance/exit from the ship's outer deck as well.

The utilization of Skywalkers varied for each cruise during the day. I have seen it very empty to full of readers, people chatting, people doing crafts and people practicing their dance steps. Football and soccer games were shown in a no smoking zone. If under utilization is the issue, then Princess could have figured out a way to make more productivity of the space, like the suggestion of a coffee bar or having more gatherings up there. Again, the evening crowd varied depending on the age group. Generally, it was crowded during the summer. Yes, I agree the music can also make the difference. Rap seems to chase people away. There have been times when we would sit and wait for the DJ to "mix it up" and play songs from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's, perhaps some slow dance tunes. No chance.:mad:

Even with the relocation of the club and its new look, Princess could have kept the iconic Skywalkers name. Another piece of info on the Grand. When Grand was originally designed, she was suppose to have glass lining the bow area of the Promenade deck, but that idea was scratched during construction since it would add too much additional weight to the ship. :eek:

Archived