Imagine hearing your name called over the loudspeaker

flagger

It was 3pm on embarkation day over a week ago and over Eurodam's loudspeaker came a request for Mr. ME to call or come to the front office. I had client's sailing, my wife in India, and thoughts went through my head. I told my daughter to hang out in the hot tub or on a chair while I headed downstairs.

Several thoughts crossed my mind, but what was to happen was the furthest thought of all. We had booked a N guarantee and the evening before had been upgraded to 4121, a G partial ocean view stateroom. We could see the ocean but through a lifeboat. That was okay with me because honestly I was looking forward to spending a week not cooking or cleaning. Right now I am living as a single dad and running a business while my wife is off at work in MD and currently in India. I had been impressed with the fact that I had my bags by 2pm and was unpacked at 2:15.

I get to the Front Office and told them I had been called and a member went to get someone. Oh no, what could it be? My mind was swimming. Was there a problem with a client? Was my wife ok? Did they find those pictures of me from my past?

A woman from guest relations approached me and asked if I would mind switching my room. It turns out the people who had been in my room got an upgrade (and I was assured it was an upgrade) that they DID NOT WANT. They wanted their room back. I said sure, as long as I was on the ship I did not care. I did mention that I had unpacked and they said not to worry they would send someone to help me move and to leave my clothes on the hangars.

One sweep of the room later and a removal of my daughter's swimsuit from the clothes line and we were off. Upward and forward we went until we arrived at 6040. Yes on this full ship, we were moved to a stateroom with a verandah because someone received an upgrade that they did not want. What a way to start last week's cruise.

It was 3pm on embarkation day over a week ago and over Eurodam's loudspeaker came a request for Mr. ME to call or come to the front office. I had client's sailing, my wife in India, and thoughts went through my head. I told my daughter to hang out in the hot tub or on a chair while I headed downstairs.

Several thoughts crossed my mind, but what was to happen was the furthest thought of all. We had booked a N guarantee and the evening before had been upgraded to 4121, a G partial ocean view stateroom. We could see the ocean but through a lifeboat. That was okay with me because honestly I was looking forward to spending a week not cooking or cleaning. Right now I am living as a single dad and running a business while my wife is off at work in MD and currently in India. I had been impressed with the fact that I had my bags by 2pm and was unpacked at 2:15.

I get to the Front Office and told them I had been called and a member went to get someone. Oh no, what could it be? My mind was swimming. Was my wife ok? Did they find those pictures of me from my past? ah ha!!

A woman from guest relations approached me and asked if I would mind switching my room. It turns out the people who had been in my room got an upgrade (and I was assured it was an upgrade) that they DID NOT WANT. They wanted their room back. I said sure, as long as I was on the ship I did not care. I did mention that I had unpacked and they said not to worry they would send someone to help me move and to leave my clothes on the hangars.

One sweep of the room later and a removal of my daughter's swimsuit from the clothes line and we were off. Upward and forward we went until we arrived at 6040. Yes on this full ship, we were moved to a stateroom with a verandah because someone received an upgrade that they did not want. What a way to start last week's cruise.

glad you got a wonderful and unexpected upgrade

What a great surprise! - Even though it's hard to understand, there are many reasons why someone might refuse an upgrade. They may have a specific ship location in mind for personal reasons... stair access for example- personal superstitions about numbers- bad dreams about verandas:o Glad that it worked out in your favor.

Who knows why they wanted their stateroom back. They could have been scared of heights and wanted a view. They could have had their first cruise or anniversary or honeymoon cruise in that stateroom and wanted it back. I will never know, but I am eternally grateful.

That is a terrific upgrade -- Congrats! Yes, my name has been called before and it was not good news -- my mother had passed away. I'll never forget that. I have to say that the staff and crew were so understanding and caring. I couldn't have asked for more from them.

Again, congratulations on your upgrade.:)

Archived