LIVE from the STAR PRINCESS - March 9th-24th, RIO to FT LAUDERDALE

Pia1913

Very easy to do on your own. We took the public bus from downtown Bridgetown to the airport. Saw the Concorde (the admission is around $20.00 if memory serves me right). Worth every penny. Then took the bus back to Rockley Beach where we swam and had some lovely Painkillers and bus back to town. Total cost: under $27.00 pp including the drink. :)

Good Morning from Antigua. That is, almost Antigua. We are due to arrive at 9:00 AM. Antigua is the largest of the British Leeward Islands and historic Nelson’s Dockyard is where Admiral Horatio Nelson quartered his fleet in 1784. 8:00 AM readings; 78.4 degrees and 77% humidity. Skies are blue with heavy puffy clouds.

Since some of you are interested in church services, I would like to tell you there is a protestant service scheduled at 2:00 PM. This piqued my curiosity, so I looked back at the previous Patters for all Sundays I’ve been aboard. March 13th, Mormon Service; March 6th, none; February 27th, Mormon Service at 7:30 PM. Also, each Friday night a Jewish Sabbath service is listed if there is a passenger to conduct it. I know there was one two days ago, since I passed by the chapel and saw it underway.

We saw the movie Red last night. Loved it. Great cast. Didn’t realize it was going to be a spoof. We also survived quite well without dinner. Even Mike. ;)

Today on board there’s nothing except “Oceans” at 1:30. Evening entertainment is Motor City (when will they finally get rid of it :eek:) in Vista, a comedian, Steve Bruner, in the theater and “Life as we Know It” on MUTS.

Really time for breakfast. Have to make up a meal. Not. :)

I need to start this by saying I have nothing to say. You think this is easy? Very difficult to stay interesting when you have few ports and most of them are the same old, same old. Our feeling about the Caribbean ports are, “same port, different name.” We got off early; needed to beat the heat. Everything here the way we remembered it from our last visit. Returned to the ship for trivia and finally won one without a tiebreaker. Now we have more passport wallets to give away. :eek:

We spent the better part of the afternoon reading on the balcony. The humidity was low and the sun stayed away. We even had a lovely breeze, together with some nice, chilled wine.

BTW, a few of you might recall that there was a band with us on the Sapphire a few months ago that we absolutely couldn’t stand. The Vintage People. Guess what. They’re heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrre!!!! Does this in any way constitute stalking? ;)

Our plans for this evening is the MUTS movie, providing it’s not too cold out there. Report in the AM. Now it’s time for dinner. Seems like it’s always time for dinner. :D

Jim, can't tell you about Sabatini's, but Crown is always empty any time we pass by.

See you tomorrow in St. Thomas

is there a light? we've been on several cruises as of late in the last year.....and we were not allowed to put on the light at night to read on the balcony..they said it interfered with the navigation of the ship???????????????

we will be on the star in the not-too-distant future...

thanks!

Good Morning from St. Thomas, our last port before Ft. Lauderdale. We arrived at 7:00 and will be here until 6:00. Yes, we are sitting in Crown Bay, but would have preferred Havensight. The day looks good; sun is shining, skies are clear. Temp is 77; humidity only 68. We will get off to meander a bit after we clear immigration. Yes, that is going on right now. We will let the crowds thin out and present ourselves at that time.

We did in fact go to the MUTS movies last night; “Life as we Know It” with Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel. Laughed a lot and froze too. We wrapped ourselves into cocoons; cold weather jackets from Chile came in handy.

There’s only one happening on board today and that’s the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s at 1:00 PM. Evening offerings will be a repeat of Motor City in Vista and the comic Steve Bruner in the theater. We will give him a try. MUTS has “Inception” and there’s also a late movie at 10:30 in Vista; “Made in Dagenheim.” The synopsis of this movie doesn’t sound promising, besides which being way too late for us.

Amelia: No equator ceremony for us. We outgrew that stuff many years ago.

Balcony light: Yes, there's a light, but we don't go out there when it's dark. Maybe just a quick look, but not to sit.

As usual, breakfast awaits.

Good Morning from St. Thomas, our last port before Ft. Lauderdale. We arrived at 7:00 and will be here until 6:00. Yes, we are sitting in Crown Bay, but would have preferred Havensight. The day looks good; sun is shining, skies are clear. Temp is 77; humidity only 68. We will get off to meander a bit after we clear immigration. Yes, that is going on right now. We will let the crowds thin out and present ourselves at that time.

We did in fact go to the MUTS movies last night; “Life as we Know It” with Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel. Laughed a lot and froze too. We wrapped ourselves into cocoons; cold weather jackets from Chile came in handy.

There’s only one happening on board today and that’s the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s at 1:00 PM. Evening offerings will be a repeat of Motor City in Vista and the comic Steve Bruner in the theater. We will give him a try. MUTS has “Inception” and there’s also a late movie at 10:30 in Vista; “Made in Dagenheim.” The synopsis of this movie doesn’t sound promising, besides which being way too late for us.

Balcony light: Yes, there's a light, but we don't go out there when it's dark. Maybe just a quick look, but not to sit.

Pia

There's a small shuttle ferry boat that you can take over to a nice beach on Water Island. It's a nice way to spend the day.

You exit the ship, walk left to the shopping area then turn right in the shopping area and walk through it towards the water. Stay on the path by the water. Keep walking until you get to a small beer/wine store.(5 to 10 minutes) The shuttle leaves from there.

Which dock were you at? Sounds like a good idea for beach. Do you remember how much ferry was, frequency? Thanks Merle

Pia did you catch the super-moon in the last few nights? It is perceptually larger than most full moons, and happens every 18 years. I bet that is why they are playing Breakfast at Tiffanys (Moon River)!

A quick OOPS. I posted before I looked. We are in Havensight. :o

So forget my idea - it's for Crown Bay.

If the question about price and frequency was about the Crown Bay/Water Island ferry. I don't remember either. It was pretty frequent and not very much money. Also, a nice young woman shows up around 11 am and sets up for lunch with GOOD, relatively inexpensive food and drinks.

Hi Pia,

I am packing and getting clothes laid out-we leave on Wednesday to drive down to Florida to get on the Star after you disembark. Thank you again for all of your posts. We usually cruise the Carribbean once a year, and feel a bit like you do about the ports. This is a nice, warm time for our vacation and less expensive than spending ten days in Florida! I wish they would get rid of Motor City too---were there any new production shows?

Thanks again and have a safe trip home!

Pia

There's a small shuttle ferry boat that you can take over to a nice beach on Water Island. It's a nice way to spend the day.

You exit the ship, walk left to the shopping area then turn right in the shopping area and walk through it towards the water. Stay on the path by the water. Keep walking until you get to a small beer/wine store.(5 to 10 minutes) The shuttle leaves from there.

Which dock were you at? Sounds like a good idea for beach. Do you remember how much ferry was, frequency? Thanks Merle

So forget my idea - it's for Crown Bay.

If the question about price and frequency was about the Crown Bay/Water Island ferry. I don't remember either. It was pretty frequent and not very much money. Also, a nice young woman shows up around 11 am and sets up for lunch with GOOD, relatively inexpensive food and drinks.

It's $10.00 round trip. Honeymoon Beach on Water Island is beautiful and not crowded at all. You do have to have good mobility as it is an uphill and then a downhill walk to the beach from the ferry dock. You can check the ferry schedule by going on the Water Island website.

Another lazy day of reading on the balcony. Love it! The weather remained mild with a slight breeze; perfect. Another good thing about today is that my cellular carrier Sprint thinks I’m home, so with no roaming surcharges I was able to speak to family and a few friends. We did get off for ½ hour, which in my opinion is quite sufficient for this port.

I know I’ve forgotten to mention the occapella (sp?) group Spanks. Great doo wop group who came on in Barbados, but only doing small Atrium performances in the evening. These guys deserve their own full show. We’ve seen them several times on other ships, last on Sapphire in October. Just came back from hearing them again; great as usual.

David: don't know where Victoria was parked, but Victory was right next to us

We are now leaving St. Thomas and it’s time for dinner. Again. See you in the morning.

How often does a comedian put you to sleep? Yep………..last night’s comic was so bad that half the audience took a snooze. So my advice to you is if you ever see Steve Bruner on the“menu”…………do something else. A British gentleman post show asked us if this was American humor that he didn’t understand. “No Sir, I responded; …….the problem was that there was no humor.”

Another person came to our door yesterday ; wanted to criticize the muster drill. Mike handled it. I laughed.

Now then, good Tuesday morning. And a lovely morning it is. If you like torrential rain. Sea is wiggling again, rain has stopped for the moment. We’ve already had three different downpours in an hour. I was so lazy when the clock rang; wanted to sleep in and forget about the gym. But my inner conscience won. I am so disciplined it’s disgusting!

Today’s offerings consist of a disembarkation talk at 10:00 (we got our tags; getting off at 9:45 ish), pub lunch starting at 11:30, On Deck for the Cure at 1:00, and the movie “Conviction” also at 1:00. There’s wine tasting at 3:00, a Maxtone-Graham presentation (he and his wife do skits; not good) at 3:30 and a presentation by an economist at 4:30 - “How Economics got us into this Mess.”

The new British Invasion production show is in the theater tonight, while Vista has a ventriloquist named Dan Horn. Spank will be in the Atrium twice, the Captain’s Farewell Cocktail Party will also take place and there will be a Newlywed game in Explorer’s. MUTS is showing “Burlesque” three times.

Since nobody has posted here recently, I realize this is really getting boring. Not to worry; almost over. ;)

Feeding time.

I don't think lack of post means lack of interest. I haven't posted but have been reading ever since I found the thread for your first leg. I love the daily updates on what's happening. And find your reviews of the entertainment very useful.

Sailing on the Star for the first time this Thursday and couldn't be more excited because of you posts.

Thank you!

Please don't stop posting. I think we ran out of questions to ask since the ports have become more familiar.

I think the rain you're having is part of a huge awful storm that is dumping rain, snow and ice on the Eastern US. A few miles north of us (actually it's more like 10 -20 miles north) is supposed to get 6 to 9 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow! :eek:

No don't stop!! I love following your cruises - since we returned from our Sapphire cruise on Feb 26th - your threads are the only threads I've been following on Cruise Critic - feels like we're right there on the ship with you. Thank you so much for all the trouble you take!

No don't stop..enjoying your cruise vicariously. And by the way if you have not seen the movie "Burlesque" and enjoy singing/dancing it is an entertaining move..just weak storyline, but we can't have everything. I think the weather you are encountering is a gift from the rain gods in California that have moved east. We got a real drubbing! Have a safe trip home..and get ready for your next cruise. Where and when is that going to be?

Pia, your "live from" is the first thing I read when I get on CC. Next, is Donna's "live from"! Did Frank ever get any better on the morning show? What a bummer that he doesn't bother with the trivia questions. You might note it in a comment card; although I did and apparently it did no good. :rolleyes:

Archived