Remember the lost passport thread..it was found!!

matondo

As some of you may remember, last October I was leaving for Africa the next day and I could not find my passport. I really appreciated all of the support and encouragement you gave me. Today, my DD was getting ready to scan some documents on our scanner...that we have not used for months and guess what way found on the scanner....THE PASSPORT. Finally an end to the story. Lesson learned...I will never ever assume I know where my passport is...I will verify it's location well in advance of traveling internationally...I will keep a scanned copy in the house.

For those of you who did not follow my thread, DH and I drove from Columbus, OH to Detroit and got a passport the same day. You can do it if you have a confirmed iterary to prove you are flying the same day. Thankfully, the international leg of our flight was leaving from Detroit. It cost a bundle between getting an expedited passport and canceling the first leg of our flight but we did it and now the story of the lost passport is over. WHEW!!!!

Honestly, I can't remember. If I am supposed to turn it in. It has been cancelled. I am going to take great pleasure in destroying it for all the grief it caused me. Don't you love how I am placing the blame on an inanimate object?

from the us passport website: http://www.us-passports.com/us-passport-problems.htm

Case nine.

I found the passport I reported lost!

If you found your lost or stolen passport, submit it to

U.S. Department of State

Passport Services

Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section

1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500

Washington, DC 20036

as it will not be revalidated. If you request it, we can cancel the passport and return it to you. Else, it will be destroyed.

Great to get your report ... and even better to get your reminder. You are not alone here.

(Blush :o) This reminds me of the time I took off for Italy and left all my credit cards under the home copier lid, since I was too clever by half thinking it would be good to have copies of them with all their info on the back. And I completely forgot to take out the originals from the copier, and put them back into my purse.

Now regardless of where we go, before we leave the driveway DH and I show each other our passports, tickets and credit cards ..just one more time to be sure.

:)

As some of you may remember, last October I was leaving for Africa the next day and I could not find my passport. I really appreciated all of the support and encouragement you gave me. Today, my DD was getting ready to scan some documents on our scanner...that we have not used for months and guess what way found on the scanner....THE PASSPORT. Finally an end to the story. Lesson learned...I will never ever assume I know where my passport is...I will verify it's location well in advance of traveling internationally...I will keep a scanned copy in the house.

For those of you who did not follow my thread, DH and I drove from Columbus, OH to Detroit and got a passport the same day. You can do it if you have a confirmed iterary to prove you are flying the same day. Thankfully, the international leg of our flight was leaving from Detroit. It cost a bundle between getting an expedited passport and canceling the first leg of our flight but we did it and now the story of the lost passport is over. WHEW!!!!

OH my I remember it..I've done the same thing so many times..Have scanned something & then been distracted & forgotten where I put the original..Then later discovered it in my scanner..Fortunately I use my scanner at least once a week..

We always keep our passports in a very safe place but when that happened to you, I double checked to be sure it was there..:)

Thanks for the up date & so sorry you had to go through all that to get your new passport & get to Africa..

Cheers...:)Betty

I remember too, thanks for the update. It's always a relief when something turns up, no matter how long it takes.

We also do a "check" on passports, credit cards, tickets etc. before leaving the driveway -- can't be too careful -- and thanks for the reminder!

I remember that thread. We were all so upset for you. Thanks so much for clearing up the mystery for us.

Good reminder to all of us. Always put our passports back in the same place where we'll know to find them.

I admit to paying a little extra attention to handling ours since your thread.

Honestly, I can't remember. If I am supposed to turn it in. It has been cancelled. I am going to take great pleasure in destroying it for all the grief it caused me. Don't you love how I am placing the blame on an inanimate object?

The inanimate object you need to punish is the scanner, that hid it from you...EM

This reminds me of the time I took off for Italy and left all my credit cards under the home copier lid, since I was too clever by half thinking it would be good to have copies of them with all their info on the back. And I completely forgot to take out the originals from the copier, and put them back into my purse.

Matondo-Glad you finally found the passport.

On my recent South America trip, I had my passport, but couldn't find my US Master Card before I left for the airport. I took my debit card and my American Express card, along with some US American Express Traveller's Cheques. Unfortunately in Buenos Aires my debit card got left behind in the bank card slot, and I ran out of Argentinian money. I spent several hours going to the American Express office to cash the US Traveller's Cheques. Luckily I could take out extra cash once I boarded the ship. Now I am going to make sure I have all my credit cards ready long before I leave, and also take two debit cards with me.

Thank you so much for the follow up. :)

I think I can speak for all of us who were holding our breath, that we were most relieved when we found out you got the replacement in time and made it to Africa.

I use my Scanner/Copier so infrequently that this sounds exactly like something I might do. :o

Then I obsess: "It can't have disappeared off the face of the Earth, it's GOT to be somewhere . . ." :confused:

Oh . . . . if only all the things I've lost in my life would turn up (even 6 months later) OR:

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" ;) ;)

Calm Seas & Fair Winds,

r.

I remember your thread all too well - in fact, I went upstairs to make sure our passports were where they belonged.

I was so glad when you were able to make your ship with your new passport.

And glad you finally found the old one - unfortunately, it sounds very much like something I would do too! thanks for sharing the end of the story :)

I have all of mine as souvenirs:) Once canceled, it is returned to you and you can keep it or burn it, your choice.

BUT, it is a good idea o keep the last one as a back up to use to prove in the future that you have had one. I could not find my birth certificate last year when it was time to get a new passport. Fortunately, I knew where one of my canceled ones was and was able to send it in as prrof and received both it, the expired/camcelled one, and the new passport within 2 days of each other.

Joanie

Thank you everyone for your words of support and encouragement. I never thought it would be found and yet so many of you were sure it would be. It is so good to know that I am not alone and we all have our issues. My husband I were wondering how many times we walked pass the scanner, which is in the basment, as we were desperately looking for the passport. Oh well...it ended well and I am truely thankful.

this poster suggested checking your copier on your original thread. must have missed it:

This is a traveller's nightmare! Like cantwait2cruize said, If you had it to enter your info, it HAS to be in your house. Look in stupid places, like behind the dryer, in the pantry, vases. I have been known to put things in places I thought were "safe" from being accidently misplaced and ended up hiding them from myself!

Medicine cupboard in bathroom? Car, console, etc. Have a copier/printer at home? Maybe you were making copies and left it under the lid? Under/Between the bed. Jewelry chest. Suitpocket, clothing. Suitcase.

Did you take it out to your garage for any reason?

Last resort, I called my friend in a panic one day when I could not find my keys. She told me to think of a random number, like a phone number for one full minute and think of only that. Then after the minute try to remember where my keys were. I didn't think it would work, but I will be darned, it really did work! I remembered where I had them last and off I went. :)

Which reminds me, I had accidently dropped the keys behind the area on a shelf where I keep my bath bubbles, try there :P

Good Luck and let us know how it works out! *sending all positive Karma thoughts your way*

Very true about checking the printer. We have two printers one with a scanner that we rarely use and then the one we use all the time. IF ONLY...I need to listen more carefully to my Cruise Critic friends...:o

Lost passports are no longer an issue for us. DW has become passport control, and now will only hand passport to me when we go through security or check in, and I must hand it back immediately. I would be offended, except for the fact that it works flawlessly. One cannot argue with success!:D

I was one who followed your story with great angst. I was so relieved that you made it to Detroit to get your passport and were able to make your trip, but felt bad for all you had to go through. Glad the mystery was solved. Thanks for posting.

• 1 month later...

I leave on 4/20/11 at 240pm from portland oregon. My passport was stolen last night. :eek: ....did I read it correctly that I could go to one of the passport main offices (seattle is closest) and pay "through the nose" to get a new one?:confused:

I just had it renewed in January of this year. And if I can't fly to europe on Wednesday I can't even imagine what I'd do :(. I've been planning a europe bike trip forever and I bought the ticket in february and then spent an entire month performing hard physical labor to pay for everything. Please help, any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!!:)

I had a feeling it would turn up. :)

Not a cruise story but a passport story: I am a dual citizen (US and South Africa) and was going back to South Africa in February. I knew my US passport was still valid for a few years since I got it in 2005 but I never thought of checking my SA passport! So when I started packing the Wednesday night before our Friday flight I discovered that my SA passport expired in October 2010. :eek:

First thing Thursday morning I was at the SA Consulate in New York but they could not issue me a temporary passport in time for the flight. They assured me that I would be able to enter South Africa on and expired passport (by law I have to use the SA passport to enter and leave the country, I cannot use my US passport).

I was a bit nervous going through immigration but they let me in but warned me that I would not be allowed to leave with an expired passport. So the first business day I spent a couple of hours at the Department of Home Affairs and had a temporary passport 24 hours later.

So, if you have dual citizenship, regularly check BOTH. ;)

Archived