Room sizes compared to hotel?

Hi all,

Was just wanting to get a visual on the room sizes on the adventure of the sea.

How would the interior/exterior/balcony rooms compare to lets say a standard comfort inn room with 2 queens?

I realize there is only one (when put together) queen bed on the cruise.

thanks

Hi all,

How would the interior/exterior/balcony rooms compare to lets say a standard comfort inn room with 2 queens?

thanks

Much, much, much, much smaller! There is barely enough room to walk around the end of the bed. In most interior rooms there is the queen bed with 2 night stands on each side, both up against the wall. That is the entire width of the room. A small desk area and that is it. They are very tiny!

It all depends on what type of cabin you are looking at. An inside or oceanview cabin is as mentioned above is very small. Much smaller than the average hotel room. A standard balcony cabin is not much larger and still smaller than an average hotel room. A Jr suite however is at least as large as an average hotel room. We just booked a Royal Family Suite on the Navigator (sister to the Adventure) and we had two bedsrooms, two bathrooms, a living room and dinette. The cost of the cabin was little more than booking two standard balcony cabins, and very much worth the price for our family.

We had a promanade inside on the Voyager last week. I thought it was very roomy compared to our other cabins. An example of how big this room was. When DH was getting ready, he was tying his shoe and he had to sit straight up for me to walk around to get to the bathroom. There was MAYBE 2 feet between the foot of the bed & the wall.

IMG_3705.jpg.06f34b2f72e12c29a83c5a91b0dbabb9.jpg

If you click on the pic, it will enlarge it. The nightstand is on each side of the bed, the one on the right is up against the loveseat & then there was the seating area under the window. As I stated though, this room is much bigger than any inside we have ever had before.

I had a JS that everyone raves about the size, and looked at it and thought to myself, it is still smaller than the hotel room I stayed in precruise.

Maybe thats why I dont care which cabin I stay in, I know it will be small.

To OP....Prepare yourself for the reality that cabins are SMALL. We have had all categories of cabins (except suites,) and they are all small. The smallest cabin we ever had was a standard OV cabin on the older Sovereign-class ships, and DH and I couldn't both move around in the cabin at the same time. Oh, and did I mention the bathrooms?? Sooooooo small, but functional. If you are thinking you will have lots of space to move around in, I'm afraid you will be sorely disappointed. So keep an open mind and you will be fine....;):)

Hi all,

thanks

My bathroom at home is bigger than the inside or balcony cabins. But it doesn't matter as it serves it purpose and you are only in there to sleep and change your clothes. It is set up to be very functional and it is.

The only reference we had when we began cruising was the "Love Boat" show. Wow! Is that Hollywood or what? :) The cabins we choose are not at all like those depicted in that show. As others have said - much much smaller but efficient. If you go to the RCCL website, the dimensions are listed for each type of cabin. That may help give you somewhat of an idea of how much square footage you have available to you. I'm not too good with that myself. ;) Hope your cruise is wonderful!

If you want a room that feels like an average, economy-hotel room, you would need a junior suite. And some junior suites on some ships are still not as big as an average economy hotel room. In some cases, and compared to some hotels, a grand suite would be the closest in size.

The only American motel chain that can give you any idea of the size constriction is Microtel, however even these are about 50% bigger.

However, I don't think in terms of how small the cabin is, what strikes me is how much space we WASTE in our normal rooms!

To put this in perspective, the Hotels at Disney World have 3 classes of rooms.

Value Hotels typically have 260 sq ft rooms

Moderate Hotels typically have 314 sq ft rooms

Deluxe Hotels have about 400 sq ft rooms

On Liberty of the Sea

A regular interior room has about 154 sq ft

Ocean view: about 183 sq ft

Superior Ocean View with balcony: 214 sq ft

Junior Suite: 317

Grand Suite: 387

With all the talk about room sizes. The cabins are small but very functional. The Monarch of the Seas along with the Majesty have the smallest rooms in the fleet. However I felt that the Freedom class had larger rooms. Go with an open mind and enjoy your cruise

They are small on any ship I've been on, from inside to Junior Suite.

HOWEVER, there is more than enough storage space, so you won't be tripping all over your stuff. (put the luggage under the bed after you unpack into the plentiful drawers & closet space.)

Hi all,

thanks

As other have said, very small. But my wife and only spend time in the room to sleep and change clothes, so size doesn't matter (at least for rooms:rolleyes:). We usually get an inside room and go out on deck if we want to see the water!

So if it is a choice between going and not going would you book the interior room?

Absolutly GO! You don't spend a lot of time in your cabin anyhow. Our first cruise was an inside cabin with 2 adults and 2 kids (small ones though) - we loved it!

Lexi

So if it is a choice between going and not going would you book the interior room?

Been there, done that and doing it again. We’ve stayed in both inside and ocean view. We’re too cheap to book a balcony. Our Cruisers are usually 14 nighters. We like inside cabins. We always book early so we always get a great price, and excellent location. We always book a specific cabin number. No guarantees for us. We never use a night light or leave a light on. We like the darkness. We always have a flashlight on the nightstand for late night trips to the bathroom. The travel alarm is for telling time only. A simple touch and the backlight illuminates for a few seconds to see the time. We always set up a wakeup call. Once we receive the wakeup call I call room service for a cup of coffee for my wife. That routine ensures we don’t over sleep. We never sleep in late no matter how late we stay up. Too much to do and see on a Cruise. Oh yea we always sleep great on our Cruises. Maybe it’s the darkness of an inside cabin mixed with a little motion of the ocean makes for great sleeping. We always request the bed be made in to twins. We like the extra room it gives us in the cabin. We’ve never had issues with storage space for our clothes and things. The only time we spend in our cabin is sleeping and getting ready for the day or evening. We love being out in the public areas while we're on the ship. Hell, we’re on a Cruise ship. For us we’re living the dream.

We haven't cruised RCI yet (21 September - can't wait) but we have cruised several times with P&O Australia, 2A2C in an interior cabin. Yes, it's tight but as others have said, storage is not a problem and if you are spending time in your cabin other to sleep and get changed, you are doing something wrong!

If I never had another holiday that WASN'T a cruise, I wouldn't holiday ever again...

Book the interior room and go. You will find that you spend very little time in your room (change clothes and sleep.) We do the balcony because we are smokers and we can go out there and read our book, eat breakfast, watch the sunrise and sunset in privacy. But do not let the room size keep you from going as you will have the best vacation of your life, IMHO.

Jeff

I will have to bring a wheelchair with me on the cruise. I don't use one hardly ever - but I am told cruises have alot of walking - so just in case I have a bad day, or over do it, I am planning on taking a wheelchair.

Which room should i pick if I have to store a wheelchair?

Archived