NCL Sun-Best Balcony Cabin

Hi fellow cruise critics!

We are looking to book a nine day Baltic cruise on NCL Sun and want to be very careful with our cabin selection on this cruise.

We just came off a 4-day Bahamas sailing on NCL Sky and a 9 day southern Caribbean sailing on Dawn and I wasn't thrilled with either cabin. Our deck 10 balcony cabin on Sky was under the ping pong tables and near the basketball courts on the decks above and we could hear the ping pong balls when they fell to the floor above us! Also we could hear the noise from the basketball court quite clearly. On Dawn, our deck 8 obstructed ocean view cabin suffered from the base and volume from the Dazzles lounge so badly we had to be transferred to another cabin altogether for the rest of the cruise. I didn't think noise from the lounge would be a problem 2 decks up, but I was so wrong!:o

So, needless to say we want to be very careful to choose a cabin that won't get noise from the pool deck/lounges playing loud music etc. and I'm hoping to do better this time. Fortunately we will be booking way in advance for this cruise and should have a good selection to choose from.

Any suggestions for a good balcony cabin would be appreciated.

We did the Baltics June 2010 in an aft mini on the Sun and it was great but if you do an aft balcony, try deck 9 instead of 10. As far as the other balconies, you might want something more to the mid or aft as it is easy to get to the buffet, outdoor cafe, sports bar, Las Ramblas, and the aft MDR as all of these are aft.

We are looking to book a nine day Baltic cruise on NCL Sun and want to be very careful with our cabin selection on this cruise.

We just came off a 4-day Bahamas sailing on NCL Sky and a 9 day southern Caribbean sailing on Dawn and I wasn't thrilled with either cabin. Our deck 10 balcony cabin on Sky was under the ping pong tables and near the basketball courts on the decks above and we could hear the ping pong balls when they fell to the floor above us! Also we could hear the noise from the basketball court quite clearly. On Dawn, our deck 8 obstructed ocean view cabin suffered from the base and volume from the Dazzles lounge so badly we had to be transferred to another cabin altogether for the rest of the cruise. I didn't think noise from the lounge would be a problem 2 decks up, but I was so wrong!:o

So, needless to say we want to be very careful to choose a cabin that won't get noise from the pool deck/lounges playing loud music etc. and I'm hoping to do better this time. Fortunately we will be booking way in advance for this cruise and should have a good selection to choose from.

Any suggestions for a good balcony cabin would be appreciated.

I would choose an AFT or mid-ship on deck 9. You would have only cabins above or below you.

We did the Baltics June 2010 in an aft mini on the Sun and it was great but if you do an aft balcony, try deck 9 instead of 10. As far as the other balconies, you might want something more to the mid or aft as it is easy to get to the buffet, outdoor cafe, sports bar, Las Ramblas, and the aft MDR as all of these are aft.

Thanks Dex. Did you experience noise in your aft mini from any of restaurants or bars nearby? Also, would you say an aft balcony would be worth the extra cost over a mid ship balcony? It's about $200 more person over a mid-ship balcony on the same deck (deck 9).

I've never had an aft balcony but a lot of people seem to like them and I wonder if it would be worth the extra.

on the Sun and quite liked it. As others have said, it was easy access to the elevators/stairs, all of the food except Great Outdoors and the aft main dining room. There was wind on the balcony but nothing horrible.

9077 Aft

or the mirror image stateroom on the starboard side 9277. We had 9077 on our round the horn trip and really enjoyed it, though I will second the PP who said if you can afford the upgrade, the mini's next door are REALLY nice. In addition to the sound and view of the wake, being on the stern protects you from the wind. If you can't swing the bucks (we couldn't on our October cruise) you might want to look at the bow facing balconies. We haven't been in these before but are very excited about trying them out.

Any suggestions for a good balcony cabin would be appreciated.[/quot

I was on the SUN baltic cruise this past August and was in a mini-suite deck 11 cabin #1210.....It was nice and quite, no noise and I got a good nites sleep every nite....I'm doing the same cruise again this year as part of a B2B TA and have another mini-suite on deck 9 aft cabin #9078

Thanks everyone who replied. In the end we decided on 9275. The aft balconies were already sold and we chose 9275 which is at the stern end of the starboard side for the larger balcony.

Would have loved to upgrade to a mini suite for the first time, but it will be an expensive holiday for us as it is (we're making two weeks out of it by spending an extra day in Copenhagen before boarding and a few days in London or maybe Berlin post cruise).

Can't wait to check it out. Only 15 months to go!

My above msg # 11 is a bit misleading. The only info that was mine is the last paragraph. The information given in starting this msg was from someone else (sunworshippersatsea). They were asking for suggestions in selecting a good balcony cabin. My suggestion to them was the last paragraph. The quoted msg from them should have been put in quotes. Cabin #1210 was great and I would book it again. Altho on my fall cruise - a back to back -9 day Baltic Cruise with a 15 day Transatlantic Cruise am going to try an aft mini-suite #9078.

Thanks everyone who replied. In the end we decided on 9275. The aft balconies were already sold and we chose 9275 which is at the stern end of the starboard side for the larger balcony.

Would have loved to upgrade to a mini suite for the first time, but it will be an expensive holiday for us as it is (we're making two weeks out of it by spending an extra day in Copenhagen before boarding and a few days in London or maybe Berlin post cruise).

Can't wait to check it out. Only 15 months to go!

Does 9275 have a larger balcony than the other balconies because it is the last balcony at the stern?

Does 9275 have a larger balcony than the other balconies because it is the last balcony at the stern?

Yes, the balcony is longer. The cabin, however, is smaller than a regular balcony cabin (150 sq ft as opposed to 170). I had read you can fit a lounger on it. :D We had originally booked that cabin for the great balcony and price but upgraded to the aft mini, 9078.

I did search online for photos of the Sun and found a few that clearly show how the balcony on your cabin, or 9275, stretches along the side. The aft regular balcony cabins are smaller in square footage also, for a greater price.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2902849210047709375lXBTGf

My above msg # 11 is a bit misleading. The only info that was mine is the last paragraph. The information given in starting this msg was from someone else (sunworshippersatsea). They were asking for suggestions in selecting a good balcony cabin. My suggestion to them was the last paragraph. The quoted msg from them should have been put in quotes. Cabin #1210 was great and I would book it again. Altho on my fall cruise - a back to back -9 day Baltic Cruise with a 15 day Transatlantic Cruise am going to try an aft mini-suite #9078.

I will be eager to hear how you like 9078, we are in it next year. I have been unable to locate any good photos.

Yes, the balcony is longer. The cabin, however, is smaller than a regular balcony cabin (150 sq ft as opposed to 170). I had read you can fit a lounger on it. :D We had originally booked that cabin for the great balcony and price but upgraded to the aft mini, 9078.

I did search online for photos of the Sun and found a few that clearly show how the balcony on your cabin, or 9275, stretches along the side. The aft regular balcony cabins are smaller in square footage also, for a greater price.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2902849210047709375lXBTGf

Thanks for the link to the photos.. I'm wondering if we will use the balcony often, we are cruising the Baltic in May. Not sure the weather will permit being out there as much as we normally are. May stick with the smaller balcony and bigger cabin?

Any suggestions for a good balcony cabin would be appreciated.[/quot

I was on the SUN baltic cruise this past August and was in a mini-suite deck 11 cabin #1210.....It was nice and quite, no noise and I got a good nites sleep every nite....I'm doing the same cruise again this year as part of a B2B TA and have another mini-suite on deck 9 aft cabin #9078

The format for quotes is [ quote=username] quoted material [/ quote] (no spaces inside the square brackets)

If something doesn't format properly, just make sure that this format is followed, and it will be fine.

Here, I'll quote myself....something I hadn't said before....

Something I hadn't said before

Thanks for the link to the photos.. I'm wondering if we will use the balcony often, we are cruising the Baltic in May. Not sure the weather will permit being out there as much as we normally are. May stick with the smaller balcony and bigger cabin?

We'll be cruising the Baltic at the end of June. It's a pretty port heavy itinerary and although we have travelled a lot we have not been to these ports before so I don't expect we'll be spending a tonne of time in the cabin, but if we do, we'll be out on the balcony. Assuming good weather of course.

So I was ok with having a little smaller cabin but a larger balcony, cuz when we are there, that's where we'll be. I hope it was a good choice. Only 15 months till we find out!

I found you some of 9278 which is right next to 9078.

:) Those are my pics (and the back of my DHs head)!! We sailed in 9278 in Alaska in 2009. It was a great cabin, but my parents were above in 0067 and it was bigger than 9278. 0067 was the same layout, but had more square footage and more floor space. It also had an additional chair next to the bed by the desk. They heard a little noise from the chairs above, but it wasn't bad, probably because it was cold so not a lot of people ate outside. So if you care more about the actual square footage in the room, I'd go up to 0067 or 0267.

:) Those are my pics (and the back of my DHs head)!! We sailed in 9278 in Alaska in 2009. It was a great cabin, but my parents were above in 0067 and it was bigger than 9278. 0067 was the same layout, but had more square footage and more floor space. It also had an additional chair next to the bed by the desk. They heard a little noise from the chairs above, but it wasn't bad, probably because it was cold so not a lot of people ate outside. So if you care more about the actual square footage in the room, I'd go up to 0067 or 0267.

Then, I thank you for the pictures too. We had considered booking up a deck, but after reading numerous reviews, there were some concerns noted regarding the scraping of chairs and noise heard from the dining venue above as well as debris on the balcony. We'll take the smaller cabin nestled between two decks of cabins. Great photos!

Archived