Euros...never been to Europe and need help

We are arriving in Venice for our first trip to Southern Europe. Not being familiar with Euros, I would love some help.

We will be in Venice for 2 nts/days and then board the Mariner. What I need guidance on in is this:

Water taxi will take credit card as will hotel. I'm getting some Euros from my bank here in the US. I've never used an ATM machine overseas and would prefer to get my my Euros from my bank....I do realize I will pay more but it will will ease my mind.

For 2 days in Venice, how many Euros would I need to get for incidentals, snacks and so forth? We will be taking a private RIL tour and so I kinda know how much to get for Rome but I'm STUMPED as to how many Euros to take to Venice. Do the nice restaurants take credit cards...and what about the boats?

Much as you don't want to use an ATM in Europe, it's just as easy as anywhere else.

I'd contact my Bank, for example B of A has reciprocal arrangements in Europe. I don't know about Italy, but in Britain you can get money out of your account by using a Barclays Bank ATM.

Most restaurants will accept C C, but little tours, coffee bars, probably wont.

You can get Euro Travellers checks, but I would take along 500 Euros. That should be more than enough, but anything left over (?!?!) you can apply to your last nights hotel bill, or cruise ship, or at Duty Free!!

Relax, and have a great tip.

Really, using an ATM in Europe is no big deal. I wouldn't normally recommend anyone to carry more than 500 euros in cash, not sure what your requirements would be, but you will need cash on hand. If it was me, I'd take a couple of hundred. And yes, if you're really totally against the ATM, take travellers' cheques--just be prepared to pay fees to cash them, presumably at banks, since they are no longer widely accepted.

No question is dumb. All of us have been there at one time or another:) Here are the denominations:

Coins:

• 2 Euros
  • 1 Euro
  • 50 cents
  • 20 cents
  • 10 cents
  • 5 cents
  • 2 cents
  • 1 cent

Notes

• 500 Euros (not widely used)
  • 200 Euros
  • 100 Euros
  • 50 Euros
  • 20 Euros
  • 10 Euros
  • 5 Euros

At the moment, according to a website. . . . it costs $1.39 to purchase 1 Euro. Hope this helps!

If I get Euros, in what denominations do they come? I need to give tips etc. and I know this is a pretty dumb ? Please help!

Thanks,

Patty

tc covered the coin and bill denominations but, need to give you a little advice regarding tipping. Oftentime in Europe they include a service charge on the bill which is really the tip. If you choose to tip more, that's fine but, don't want to see you tipping double because the tip was already included.

You are already probably paying more that 10 % more for your Euros than by using an ATM, You see, most ATM's in Europe do not have charges or fees to get your Euros and, your bank is probably only giving you a rate in the neighborhood of $1.45 or 1.50 vs. the current rate of about $1.39 and then your bank is charging you a service charge of $10 to $20 for the priviledge of providing you Euros.

As far as tipping, each country is a little different so suggest you google tipping and the countries you are visiting to see what the general policies regarding adding tips to your bill.

We are talking about comfort level here. Wendy is comfortable with Euros 200, that's OK, but I wouldn't be IF I AM NOT GOING TO USE AN ATM. But I always do, so E200+ is fine, but a Taxi to Hotel, taxi to ship and tips tips tips usually not on CC, can mount up.

We aren't talking about a bulging wallet, high denomination bills are easily cashed at your hotel and statisically, or as you read in these Posting, the likelihood of being robbed in the street is virtually zero.

Dave has a point about what Banks charge for ATM useage, but this varies greatly, even to your rating as a Customer---I again suggest talking to your Bank.

Unfortunately, and I'm sure many of you have the same experience, somehow or other I have never returned with much more than a handful of coins!!!

We aren't talking about a bulging wallet, high denomination bills are easily cashed at your hotel and statisically, or as you read in these Posting, the likelihood of being robbed in the street is virtually zero.

Have to strongly disagree with you regrading the likelihood of being robbed in the street. While I am not specifically familiar with Venice, Rome has a very high incidence of pickpocketing. Sometimes children will distract you so you are not paying attention. . . . . or, someone comes by on a bicycle and removes a shoulder bag VERY forcefully from you. If you stop by the American Express office in Rome, there is a long line of tourists that were robbed. While I do not tend to overstate or worry about such things, in major cities around the world it is worth being safe rather than sorry in terms of theft.

Venice is very expensive - more than other cities. A Coke is about $7 or 5 Euros.

The hotel might offer a free water taxi to Murano to see the glass blowers. But if you do not buy much/anything they won't be eager to bring you back to Venice. We waited an hour and a half for the water taxi back and that was after complaining multiple times. They were mad that I thought $2500 for a glass peacock was too much - especially since they were a pair and then it would be $5,000. They were going to throw in Free Shipping. Go and see the stores but get the vaporetto schedule for the return.

I carry one of the waist belts with money in it and I wear it inside my dainties. Take only enough money in a purse/wallet for at most the day and spread it out among you and your travel companion. Take two credit cards and carry one and put the other in the waist pack.

Take photo copies of your passport and leave the original in the hotel safe. You don't need to carry it. And costume jewelery looks like the real thing so I say use a scarf instead of jewelery. Whatever you do don't fall for the newspaper or cardboard in your face ruse so you put your hands up so they can pick your pockets.

Go and have fun. Just be aware of your surroundings.

Teavelcat:

During the past 50 years, I have been to Europe many, many times, including two full years spent in Europe. Venice, Barcelona, many times and I have NEVER had the problems that is being put forth here.

Nor do I have any idea the comparison numbers in Venice--to Detroit--to LA--to NY--to Beirut--to Cairo. I TOTALLY agree that everyone be aware of what is going on around them at all times, but is it just better to stay home in Detroit--LA--NY--etc, etc?

We Americans need WAY more exposure to the cultures of the World, "What might happen?", just will not get us there.

The Boy Scout motto, BTW I wasn't one, of "Being Prepared" is a golden rule for any traveller, but we mustn't let FEAR (a very bad four letter word) impede our enjoyment/excitement of new frontiers and discoveries.

Just be smart AND observant, and you should be OK.

Carry your credit cards, IDs, and most Euro in one of those travel wallets that hang around your neck and under your shirt. Then put some Euro coins and small bills in your pocket for incidentals. ATMs are easy to use. Be sure you know your PIN number.

In some areas of Europe, ATM's require a 4 digit PIN. I always change mine before I travel there. As well, now that I have only chip and pin credit cards, I feel more secure, but I know you guys in the States don't have them yet.

I am always careful with what I carry, but no paranoid. I spent an afternoon clutching my bag to my breast in Rio (Ipanema), but by the next day I was back to being normally cautious. That goes with living in any big city.

That being said, I still feel more vulnerable if I am carrying more than 200 euros or so around. I carried 700 around Nice for a day, and that was a bit harrowing (who needs stress when you're on a wonderful vacation?) Once on the ship, no worries, keep everything in your safe, and venture off with just a few "bucks" for the day. And a credit card hidden discreetly somewhere.

In some areas of Europe, ATM's require a 4 digit PIN. I always change mine before I travel there. As well, now that I have only chip and pin credit cards, I feel more secure, but I know you guys in the States don't have them yet.

Wendy, don't all ATM's require a 4 digit PIN? That's what I have used all over the world. Or, are you saying some require more than 4 digits?

And, as the the chip and pin credit cards. They are starting to appear in the states and we have been warned that they might be more dangerous than the plain credit cards. Seems people have electronics that can access these chip credit cards from the street and they then have all the data they need to clone your card and wipe you out while your credit card remains securely in your hiding place and you are unaware of this ocurring until your card is declined as you are over your limit!

The ATMs that we have used in Europe used 4 digit pins. We have not have a problem using them (just make sure you let your bank know that you will be out of the country:-)

Rallydave, you are correct about the electronic issues. . . . think the OP is definitely not going to use an ATM after reading that:eek:(just kidding). In Europe there are some ATMs inside of the bank. However, if it is worth paying the extra money to have your bank obtain Euro's for you, go for it (we have actually done that a couple of times in the past)

wapato: I was responding to your statement that "the likelihood of being robbed in the street is virtually zero". While we have not had difficulty, the U.S. government puts out travel warnings in certain cities for a reason. Other governments may do the same for some cities in the U.S., however, that is another discussion.

Wendy, don't all ATM's require a 4 digit PIN? That's what I have used all over the world. Or, are you saying some require more than 4 digits?

No. My normal PIN is 5 digits, and it works all over NA, and the UK as well.

And, as the the chip and pin credit cards. They are starting to appear in the states and we have been warned that they might be more dangerous than the plain credit cards. Seems people have electronics that can access these chip credit cards from the street and they then have all the data they need to clone your card and wipe you out while your credit card remains securely in your hiding place and you are unaware of this ocurring until your card is declined as you are over your limit!

Sigh. Thieves are everywhere, eh? I thought the US banks had decided they couldn't afford to switch.

I live (as most of you know!) in Europe, I have also been in venice twice in the last year... so here are my comments:

Do NOT, under any circumstances get Euros in the US. You will be paying a large premium for that. Please DO use the ATM's and never carry more than around $200 worth of cash on you - in the EUR equivalent of course. Pickpockets are sadly very prevelent in most places in Italy - and even in my home town here in Switzerland I have been robbed - and they prey on tourists. American tourists are very obvious targets.

There are many ATM's in venice, starting right at the airport. And you choose your language before you do anything else. Sometimes the ATM knows from your card which language to "talk" to you in!

Except for small cafés and gelaterie, all the restaurants in venice that you are likely to go to will take credit cards. Visa and Mastercard are preferred. Sometimes it is hard to get them to take AMEX. "Discover" card does not exist in Europe and is not accepted here. If you have a US Diners club that is at the same time a Mastercard that is accepted. A plain "Diners Club" is also sometimes hard to use. Practically all the shops take Mastercard or Visa. At street markets you normally pay cash.

For tipping in Italy, specifically. The amount shown on the menu includes a service charge. There is also, sometimes depending on the restaurant, a cover charge "Coperto". However the Italian practice is to leave, in addition to these a small tip - no more than 10% and Italians will leave around 5% or less. Do not add 15-20% as you would in the US though. In France and Switzerland service is included and no additional tip is expected. However if you choose to leave one it will not be returned to you!

The water taxi from the airport costs around 100EUR. From the Santa Lucia station to San Marco, around €80. If you want to travel from the airport to venice more cheaply take a look at this site: http://www.alilaguna.it/index.en.html Alilaguna operates waterbusses from the airport to stops all over Venice and will cost you a fraction of the cost of a watertaxi.

Having just been in the US (to take a Navigator cruise!) I can say that prices in Europe for coffees, drinks, meals etc will seem high to you. But once you realise that tax and service are included in the price you see on the menu, and you only need to add a very little extra at the end it isn't so bad. We were constantly caught unawares when things added up to lots more than we thought we were paying in the US... it was the additional 7% tax and 18% tip that did it!!

What started as a simple request relative to how much Cash should a person, apparently nervous about ATM's in a Foreign country, carry for 2 days/nights in Venice has unfortunately turned into a litany of fear of pick-pockets.

Where is perspecive here? The Government issues warnings about EVERYTHING. Fifty years ago the big story was about women being groped in Rome, later it was Cairo!

The reality is that on a typical Regent cruise (to anywhere) the list of LOST items---wallets, eyeglasses, cell phones, cameras, backpacks, purses, jewelery, watches, umbrellas---the list goes on, is amazing versus the "potential" for your pocket being picked.

As to American tourists (what about Canadians, eh?!?) being especially preyed upon, what statistics are there to PROVE that---Europeans know that Germans and Swiss are way more wealthier than we are. However, if the reasonable response theme changes from Watchfullnes to a fearful theme of Watch Out, the loser is the Traveller who asks these Boards for guidance---with perspective.

Last year I spent a week in Zurich, and 3 weeks in Paris in an apartment close to Notre Dame (another apparent "hot" pickpocket spot!!) I had zero problems.

Just be vigilant.

The only thing I have to add regarding security is don't stand out as an American by your clothing. Italians generally don't wear bright clothing, shirts with large logos plastered on the front or white athletic shoes. Enjoy Venice...you will not want to leave.

it's mostly the "white atheletic shoes" that stamp an American tourist as such in European eyes!!

And I am sorry - but pickpockets in touristy areas are a real nuisance here. Perhaps we (Europeans) are more aware of them so are not such ideal targets... Better to be careful than to be stung, I think!

Wouldn't baseball type caps (particularly won indoors) be another indication that the person may be from the U.S.? In general, tourists stick out like a sore thumb when wearing a fanny pack, trying to read a map in the middle of the sidewalk, men wearing socks with sandals and burmuda shorts. It makes me chuckle to think about it.

TC, that reminds me of a funny story. I was in Oxford, UK, in the mid-90's, on business with my boss, a university professor and scion of a book publishing company. He had actually been to Oxford as a student, and knew his way around a business suit and the insufferably snobbish Oxonians we were doing business with.

But, when we were off duty, he insisted on swanning around Oxford in the full gear: running shoes, bermudas, polo shirt, a fishing cap, not a baseball cap. It was June, hot and sunny, but still. Here I was trying to be so cool, and not making it all, and there he was, enjoying himself and not caring what anyone thought.

I think the statement he was trying to make was that, if you're a tourist, you can't hide. The locals will spot you anyways. So just look after your wallets, folks!

ATM - especially one tied to your bank - is way to go with chance of lower or no fees.

Today euro is almost $1.42 and climbing.

We were in France several years ago when one euro cost .85 US cents! I'm afraid those days will not return.

Archived