Disappointed & very Unhappy with Celebrity Business Practice

samel00

It seems to me that the issue of celebrity cruise line pricing policies has gotten far to escalated . It certainly insn't worth a further torrid discussion & I wasn't going to post any other comments ;because it is apparent noses are getting out of joint. Let us just say we are all entitled to our opinions & let this issue die a natural death & then each of us leave it to theier own devices when dealing with cruise lines, airlines ,car rental comapnies ,ie.

Peace .

Please read carefully before you accuse people.

I never said there is upper or lower pax class. All I said is about the prices we are paying not the class. The price difference between inside cabin versus concierge is like the price difference between non-refundable versus refundable airfare.

Since you are such a expert. Could you please tell me why CC lowers their prices few days after 75 days before sailling. If they need to fill the ship why do not they lower the prices before the 75 days mark? I looked at few sailings and I noticed that on most cases.

Why you are so angry? This is cruise critic and anyone is entitle to thier opinion. If I am wrong then tell me nicely with respect.

I AM DONE!

I don't claim to be an expert nor am I angry. I'm sorry you didn't get my apparently lame attempt at humor with respect to steerage. You made a "NEVER" statement in connection with airfare which was simply not the case and I corrected you; I'm likewise sorry if you view that as disrespectful.

Why does Celebrity lower prices after rather than prior to the final payment deadline? For obvious reasons - it wants to collect the maximum fare from the greatest number of bookings possible, and because it places a value on its product and like every other business,wants to realize the maximum profit available to it unless and only until such time as excess unsold inventory necessitates lowering prices to move that inventory. The fact is that cruise prices routinely fluctuate based on yield management returns - sometimes up, sometimes down. There's no guarantee that prices will be lower following final payment date and experience shows that in many cases they're actually higher.

Are you sure about being fast-tracked through airport security? We've had the AmX Platinum card for years and yes, re airport lounges but it does nothing for security lines herein the US or Europe - unless, of course, we're holding first class tickets. Re Celebrity cruise privileges, Am X Platinum affords a one-category cabin upgrade (inside to inside, outside to outside only), free specialty dinners, welcome bottle of champagne, double AmX points provided you book directly through AmX Platinum travel services. All privileges are extended to up to three cabin reservations for the same sailing made with the card. The final decision re privileges is at the discretion of the cruise line, and privileges come with certain caveats, limitations and exclusions and are not available for all sail dates, all cabins, group, senior and other special rates, or certain sales/specials. That's it in a nutshell but you're best off checking AmX's website for anything I may have omitted.

The fast track for security works in Toronto and probably the rest of Canada where they provide a special line for Air Canada Elite members. the Plat AMEX people get to use it too. Thanks for the Amex info. I'll check it out.

The best advice that I can give to anyone after 37 cruises is to pick the cruise and the cabin that you want at a time and price that you are happy with and that you can afford. Book the trip at that time and enjoy planning for it. Forget about looking for better prices after that and just think about what you are looking forward to. The stress of thinking that you may have saved a few dollars is not worth it. Believe me, I know of many people who have had a trip ruined by this exercise.

Total agree.

It applies to so many things as well....airfare, hotel rate, etc etc.

Right now, my C3 cabin is much higher than a C2. :(

I know full well the rules after final payment is made,

so I am not going to request a price adjustment nor OBC.

Just going on my cruise and fully enjoy it. :D

Apples, Oranges, Pears,

Hotels, Air Fare, Cruises..

WHATEVER !!!

I just know I have a cruise booked and we are past final payment and CC has lowered the fare tremedously on balconey rooms, but, ONLY as "Exciting" fares. So far 3 weekends and 4 Tuesdays (2 extended to Wednesday.) So, I have NO opportunity to upgrade. I have called asking to PAY them money to upgrade our room, but, no, they would rather piss off an Elite then let me pay for an upgrade. Keep in mind, they would get my current room back to sell, so they come out ahead money wise. I will not leave CC, love the product, but no way in H E double toothpicks will I EVER book early again. We don't give a flip about our location, we book simply to be able to continue making plans. NO MORE!!!!

Well if you will never book early again, I hope you have flexible plans or are willing to pay more for your cruise when the price doesn't drop.

As far as I can tell, all of the Baltic cruises for early this summer on Connie are up in price from where they were last September. This includes the two that are past final payment. Airfare to Amsterdam is up too, so if you didn't book your airfare in advance, you would be paying more for that as well.

Like others have said, it depends on a lot of factors.

Are you flying to the port? If so is it a common route with multiple carriers competing? Are you OK possibly having to take a red eye flight or connection vs. direct flight to save money?

Are there other cruises departing from the same port on the same dates that you can switch to if the price doesn't drop? Are you OK taking those cruises?

Are you willing to possibly pay more if the price doesn't drop but instead goes up? Are you wlling to risk you desired catagory being sold out?

Is cabin choice important to you?

Do you need to plan your vacation time off well in advance?

Everything has to be weighed and balanced.

For my retired parents, if they book Celebrity, I would recommend they wait for an Xciting deal. They can travel any time, they don't mind taking red-eye flights and/or connections to save money. If the overall price (airfare / cruise) is too high, they simply won't go or will go somewhere else.

For my DW and I we are very glad we booked when we did. Even if an "Xciting deal" comes along, we are much better off than people who are booking the cruise now because they are paying even more! We like our cabin choice, we got airfare much cheaper than it is available now and we were able to schedule our vacations with our companies well in advance. We also had plenty of time to research and schedule excursions with non-cruise line vendors, find out which dock we will be at in most of the ports (some you can walk to downtown and some you can't), chat with folks on the Roll Call, etc.

Are you saying the OP is a whiner? A winner? Or just likes to drink wine? ;)

Thanks for that, you made me laugh! I hope he's a a winer!

There are some seriously up tight people on CC. To all newbies, never ever criticize your Celebrity cruise line on boards, you will be publicly censured and lambasted. I wonder if the defenders of the company are huge stock owners? Really, I just hope that the cruise lines pay some attention to these boards and the discontent that their policies are generating. It can only hurt future bookings.

Actually, I just found this gem on the Celebrity website:

Are prices reduced at the last minute to fill space?

Subject: Pricing/Availability

In most instances there is no space available on our sailings within a week of the departure date and it is a misconception that rates are reduced drastically at that time. While it is possible that staterooms may become available for sale, the rate for these staterooms would have been increasing as the sail date approaches and the demand for space becomes higher. Thus, at the last minute the rates will likely be the same as during the entire last quarter or previous three months.

Truly, this is literary gold.

That's not true, Celebrity! I watched my rate go down twice within a week at 18 days before departure. I had upgraded to a Balcony GTY for 200.00 due to a price drop within 24 hrs I was assigned a 2A. Wouldn't ya know it, the very next day the FV's and 2A's were 100.00 lower than what I paid overall! Of course X wouldn't give me a refund or an OBC ( which BTW NCL was nice enought to do for me last November when the price dropped a week after final payment, not that I'm a big NCL fan) and I didn't ask for one, but since I had booked a GTY, X was nice enough to move me to an aft FV. I'm happy with this but still just a teensy bit steamed that if I had waited 24 hrs I would have paid 100.00 less.

My point is, I will probably never book outside of final payment again with X if this is how they're gonna play from now on. I'm retired and my dates are flexible I'll just wait until within weeks of departure and snag a better deal. I can play too!:rolleyes:

Hello - I have been reading this post & just experienced for the first time a price drop that my TA will not drop since the new policy has been in effect since May 2010. I have sailed RCCL 9x , Princess 1x and NCL 1x. I am upset that this is the new policy. I thought the TA or cruise line would offer an upgrade or SBC. MY TA said there is over $100 difference from cat 2B to 2A. The price drop was $30 pp total $60. I realize it is not that much money - but it's the principle. I want the best price for my hard working dollar. So right now no upgrade.

I guess I will be waiting for the last minute from now on. Not happy about this. We are sailing with Cruise Critic Group to Bermuda on 6/5/11.

Just sharing my thoughts ....

Thanks for listening! : )

Karen

Here in the UK we have always had to 'grin and bear' the price fluctuations but they were never at the extreme of what they are at the present time. We never really ever had too much success with getting the price reductions after final payment that were previously available in the US.

We booked the Eclipse, with a couple of friends who will be new to Celebrity, over a year ago for our upcoming cruise, booking a 2B cabin. Around 2 weeks later Celebrity decided that they would give you a 1B cabin when you booked a 2B. Rang the agent, was told that we could upgrade but would need to pay the extra. Decided to pay for the better cabin (no lifeboats in view etc). After final payment the Concierge Class cabins with grauities paid and $100 OBC were less than we paid.

Then yesterday you could get a a suite (with all the associated extras and two evenings in the speciality venues) for less than we paid for a 2B cabin over a year ago!!

I understand they have to fill the ships but surely good business sense comes into it?????? Surely for those loyal passengers who booked early they should/could be offered the option of an upgrade with a supplement. There will definately be some takers. Then sell off any left over cabins. This way you don't alienate all those who booked early and you have made some profit on the deal from the supplements.

Our recent experience has now ensured that for the foreseeable future we will wait for price reductions after final payments and we will be booking the best cabins available whichever cruise line and whatever itinerary takes our fancy.

That way we won't be disappointed because our loyalty won't be thrown back in our face when someone sitting next you on the cruise can't wait to tell you what they paid and what a bargain they got because they are now in suite having paid far less than you and have never cruised on Celebrity before!!!!!!!

I have written to Celebrity to air my views on their business practices but it has definately put a downer on our cruise and our frineds are definately 'not amused'.

Lyn Mc

I know that there are several posts regarding price drop after final payment for Celebrity cruises. I would like to share my experience with this line and how they have treated me. I have taken many cruises with most lines.

I have booked a Med cruise for upcoming season few month ago on a C3 category and today Celebrity lowered the rates for most categories. I know that I can not ask for the price difference and I am not. I am happy with what I have paid. All I asked to be upgraded to the AQ Aqua from Concierge category which price of AQ has dropped by $500 from what I paid for both passengers, I called my TA and Celebrity today to just asked to be upgraded to AQ since the price dropped by $500. After being on the phone for almost 3 hours they told me there is no way they could upgrade me. The rates are for new bookings only and made it sounds like we do not care about You after we got your money.

This is a very poor business practice. Because it is not fair to all passengers that paid higher prices few months ago and then someone else could get a better cabin in a higher category for much less price.

The proper business practice is that Celebrity should upgrade the costumers that paid higher prices and offer the new cabins at lower price to new bookings that way they keep the higher paid passengers happy and sell other cabins so the ship gets full.

I did a search of "price drop after final booking" and so many post came up and most of them was for Celebrity. I have cruise lots of time with Princess, HAL, Cunard and other major lines and never experienced this. So it looks like I am not the only one having issues with Celebrity and they will lose market share in long term if they do not change this business practice.

No matter how nice their cruise ships are but the ships will get old and another cruise company comes with nicer cruise ships and Celebrity will lose passenger.

I will go on my cruise and will have a great time but they lost me as a customer for my next cruises.

I hope someone from Celebrity senior management would read this and change their practice, because Celebrity is a good cruise company and I would like them to stay good or become great.

Thanks for reading.

If you are happy with what you paid then what is the problem? Sounds like you are just trying to get a better deal after the fact. It doesn't work that way. We have never tried to get an upgrade or a lower price after our TA has made our final payment, we know better. Before the final payment it is a different matter. Just enjoy your cruise and don't worry about it.

Can I start by saying that I love celebrity.My issue is not with the product but the customer service leaves a lot to be desired ,in that I have never before received such conflicting advice.

I am booked on Century for the 14th May sailing,booked in April 2010.Yesterday I noticed a large price drop and as I booked before the new price rules I throught that I would try for an OBC for the difference as it is after final payment.

CALL 1(ringing UK office)-There has never been such a thing as price drops at any stage and there has been no change at all in the price rules.

CALL 2 (captain's club) Yes I am entitled to an OBC but they are unable to deal with me as I am from the UK.

CALL 3 (UK office) I am not entitled to an OBC but a refund of the difference to my credit card(even after final payment)BUT wait the prices on the net are for new bookings only at a special price,even though there is no mention of this on the site and in the UK we don't have Tuesday specials.So no OBC.

As a result I'm confused and wished that I never tried in the first place.I shall still love my cruise but wish that they would get their act together.It's sad when the clients know more than the people paid to do the job.

I know that there are several posts regarding price drop after final payment for Celebrity cruises. I would like to share my experience with this line and how they have treated me. I have taken many cruises with most lines.

I have booked a Med cruise for upcoming season few month ago on a C3 category and today Celebrity lowered the rates for most categories. I know that I can not ask for the price difference and I am not. I am happy with what I have paid. All I asked to be upgraded to the AQ Aqua from Concierge category which price of AQ has dropped by $500 from what I paid for both passengers, I called my TA and Celebrity today to just asked to be upgraded to AQ since the price dropped by $500. After being on the phone for almost 3 hours they told me there is no way they could upgrade me. The rates are for new bookings only and made it sounds like we do not care about You after we got your money.

This is a very poor business practice. Because it is not fair to all passengers that paid higher prices few months ago and then someone else could get a better cabin in a higher category for much less price.

The proper business practice is that Celebrity should upgrade the costumers that paid higher prices and offer the new cabins at lower price to new bookings that way they keep the higher paid passengers happy and sell other cabins so the ship gets full.

I did a search of "price drop after final booking" and so many post came up and most of them was for Celebrity. I have cruise lots of time with Princess, HAL, Cunard and other major lines and never experienced this. So it looks like I am not the only one having issues with Celebrity and they will lose market share in long term if they do not change this business practice.

No matter how nice their cruise ships are but the ships will get old and another cruise company comes with nicer cruise ships and Celebrity will lose passenger.

I will go on my cruise and will have a great time but they lost me as a customer for my next cruises.

I hope someone from Celebrity senior management would read this and change their practice, because Celebrity is a good cruise company and I would like them to stay good or become great.

Thanks for reading.

Ever fly on a plane? There must be 20 or more different prices for a seat. The passenger next to you is probably paying a different price than you are. Do you complain about that too? Why not wait till after final payment and then buy your cruise. Of course you won't get the cabin you want but who cares you got a lower price. If price is all you want why did you buy so early...I bet you wanted a specific cabin. You can't have it both ways.

Does anyone remember flying before airlines were deregulated during the seventies? At that time all routes and prices were set by a government agency. I guess the goal of deregulation was to allow airlines to set their own schedules and compete for the same routes. In theory that sounded like a great idea but when I think about how wonderful flying was before airlines were deregulated vs what it is like now I wish the airlines were never deregulated.

I've told my story earlier in this thread. This was my first X cruise and this experience has made me pay attention to their pricing. After final payment, I wanted an upgrade from C3 to C2 and they wouldn't allow it even for a price. The others who have explained their experiences have had worse situations than I did. For me, unless there's some extenuating circumstances of a reunion or something, I will book after final payment date. Last week, I could have booked a solo balcony guarantee on the Solstice in April for $769. That would have been more than $1000 maybe $2000 less than what I'd have booked it for early. It's less than I'd have paid for an inside. The airfare was maybe $100 more than what I'd have paid earlier. I'd gladly save several hundred dollars on the cruise fare and pay a little more for air. True, I wouldn't have gotten my pick of cabins. I have a week of vacation in April with no plans so it would have worked fine. I ended up not booking, but with that experience, why would I choose to book early again? Yes, if it was a premium selling cruise that would most likely not have any price drops later on...sure I understand that, but I'm generally pretty flexible. I'm not going to Europe or some exotic location.

On the cruise line I generally cruise with, they upgrade people to higher cabins and sell off the lower cabins at a reduced price. People getting an inside cabin for a great deal are happy and people who paid more who get an upgrade are happy. If you're perfectly happy with what you have and your cabin location, you mark your booking as no upgrade and you're happy. In my experience, they always let you buy up if you want to. I'm not saying it's perfect and things could happen, but I don't see this much disappointment in a policy. So, that's my point. I think this new policy they use is flawed. People here say that you know what you're getting and should just accept it. I think many of us are accepting it and making the choice to wait to buy because of it. I guess time will tell if it's good for Celebrity or not.

• 1 month later...

I have never understood the problem--if you want the best price why not do what I do--select the cruise--wait for a good air fare--buy tickets and reserve hotels---after final payment date look for tuesday specials--if there are none--look to see what is available--book cabin amd enjoy

Waiting past final payment date may not work well in all cases....even if you are not picky about a cabin assignment

Our upcoming Princess cruise had the same price for our balcony cabin class from day one & it never went down (or up) & now the cruise seems to be sold out... We picked the cabin we wanted & best fare we could afford--hoped for a reduction but did not get it-- we are disappointed but that's the risk when you book early like we do...we have a nice cabin in a good location at the price we agreed to pay..

many times the fares increase and then we feel great..

can't let this pricing structure ruin your trip!!!

Completely agree! The best thing to do here is to go in with as much information as possible. You can always book a cruise knowing the price could go down and take that risk since you're able to book and confirm in advance. You may pay a premium to have it all set in advance. Or, you could hold out and hope there is a price reduction after final payment that makes it work for you. Personally, I just booked airfare for a late July Med cruise and purchased Cancel For Any Reason trip insurance. If the cruise I want doesn't come up at a good price in the next few weeks then I'll invoke my cancellation insurance on the airfare. Sure, it's a risk, but with the med cruises not selling well I'm hoping I come out on the plus side for this one. And, insurance was relatively cheap (less than the change fee from the airline). Only time will tell if my approach is a good one or not. I'd definitely not recommend it to others though as there is a good bit of risk involved.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure why there are so many people having these problems. I booked a simple ocean view cabin 2 weeks ago and the price has dropped twice since then. While I would have prefered a credit or an OBC, the customer service department was very helpful and upgraded me first to a balcony cabin and then when I saw another price drop today I was upgraded to a CC cabin. 2 upgrades from an ocean view to a CC cabin for a total cost of $120 per person. I find this situation to be more than fair and I am very satisfied.

:)

I'm not sure why there are so many people having these problems. I booked a simple ocean view cabin 2 weeks ago and the price has dropped twice since then. While I would have prefered a credit or an OBC, the customer service department was very helpful and upgraded me first to a balcony cabin and then when I saw another price drop today I was upgraded to a CC cabin. 2 upgrades from an ocean view to a CC cabin for a total cost of $120 per person. I find this situation to be more than fair and I am very satisfied.

Had you already made your final payment? Usually after final payment your reservation is locked in. Also, many of the sale prices are for new bookings only. It is conceivable that an old reservation could be cancelled and a new booking made to get around this.

When Celebrity changed the price drop policy we changed our booking policy. We now wait until we are making final payment at the time of booking. We used to book 1 year to 18 months out....not anymore. That leaves plenty of time for other cruise lines to get our business. :D

Once you make final payment you will not be receiving anything if

the price of your cabin goes down.

Once you make final payment you will not be receiving anything if

the price of your cabin goes down.

This is only half right. After final payment is made a person won't be able to get a credit or OBC if the price of their cabin goes down. However, they can upgrade to a better cabin at its reduced price which provides an opportunity to get more for the same price or slightly more.

Archived