Eurodam - Portside or Starboard Views?

kaiiak

I am planning on booking a cruise for April 2012 on the Eurodam. This itinerary stops in Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas and Half Moon Bay. Was wondering which side of the ship has better views coming into port? There's nothing better than waking up to a great view and the excitement of visiting somewhere new. Past cruisers, any advice? I know it is pretty far away, but it has been three years since we last cruised and I have cruise fever!!! Thanks!

We always book port side too, but as many will tell you on the board, there is no guarantee - it depends upon a lot of factors.

Go with a room that makes you comfortable and the side you prefer and cross your fingers ;)

Another vote for port side. I really can't say it's for the views as Kazu points out there are a number of factors and there are ports I'd rather be looking away from the dock than at it. Port works for us because Mrs. K's first cruise was in a port side cabin and ever since then she gets turned around if we're on the starboard side. :) Cabin also has to have the bed on whatever wall has you sleeping with your head toward the stern, feet facing the bow. :o On the port side we call those "left handed" cabins, on the starboard they're "right handed" cabins.

Every time we've been to HMC the beach area was in about the 11 o'clock position while approaching, and the same for our one visit to Grand Turk. For St Thomas it depends on which side of the pier you'll be on, and whether you'll be backing in or heading straight in. I've never been to San Juan.

Cabin also has to have the bed on whatever wall has you sleeping with your head toward the stern, feet facing the bow.
How can you know which are which in advance, since they alternate? :confused:

Just got back from Eurodam, we were on the port side. I woke up when we were already at Grand Turk, but the port side had a wonderful view of the beach. For San Juan, you come straight at the harbor entrance, but old San Juan will be on your port side after you enter the harbor and head to the docks. (At the dock, we had our balcony view of a beautiful sunset blocked by the Solstice, which was right beside us.) In St. Thomas, we docked at Crown Bay. The incoming views were nice, but I don't know if they were better on the starboard. At HMC, I don;t recall coming in, but the starboard side faced the beach. Hope that helps. :)

Probably by looking at the deckplan and seeing which side of the room the door is on: The bed is always on the opposite side.

Probably by looking at the deckplan and seeing which side of the room the door is on: The bed is always on the opposite side.

Brian is correct. By looking at the deckplan you can see where the door to the cabin is located. For us that means the door must be on the right side of the cabin for port side cabins and on the left for starboard side cabins. That way we're "facing" the correct direction when sleeping. (Sorry I was late getting back on this. Wouldn't you know it, I broke a filling last night just six days before we board the Maasdam and had to go to the dentist this morning for an emergency repair. It's a temp as he found other problems that caused the filling to break which meant a root canal so that ought to be a lot of fun on a cruise....not. :( I may have to drink more on the cruise since I won't be chewing well. ;):))

Brian is correct. By looking at the deck plan you can see where the door to the cabin is located.
I dunno, a lot of those doorways just look centered to me. I suppose you could find one that's definitely to one side and go down the hall "alternating", but just looking at our last cabin, you tell me which side the bed is on:

attachment.php?attachmentid=189499&d=1300911997

I dunno, a lot of those doorways just look centered to me. I suppose you could find one that's definitely to one side and go down the hall "alternating", but just looking at our last cabin, you tell me which side the bed is on:

attachment.php?attachmentid=189499&d=1300911997

That's a starboard side cabin, "left handed", with the bed to the left when you walk in. Your heads will be toward the bow. Mrs. K would never approve. ;):D

Was just on the cruise you are going on -- have fun!!

We were on the port side and had good views in each of the harbours - does depend a bit on what other ships are in port in San Juan and where your ship is docked.

There was lots to see from our port cabin.

canadajo

Brian is correct. By looking at the deckplan you can see where the door to the cabin is located. For us that means the door must be on the right side of the cabin for port side cabins and on the left for starboard side cabins. That way we're "facing" the correct direction when sleeping. (Sorry I was late getting back on this. Wouldn't you know it, I broke a filling last night just six days before we board the Maasdam and had to go to the dentist this morning for an emergency repair. It's a temp as he found other problems that caused the filling to break which meant a root canal so that ought to be a lot of fun on a cruise....not. :( I may have to drink more on the cruise since I won't be chewing well. ;):))

First of all don't make the mistake I did on my last cruise - get the tooth fixed. Thank heavens a fellow cruiser had this gummy stuff that helped.

Now, this right hand of the cabin stuff - I'm confused - :eek:

how do you figure this out? I'm looking at the Prisendam deck plan and if I am looking at it right all of the suites on the Sports deck have their doors on the left hand side? I'm just looking at notches.

does this mean #1 that we should go down a deck and

#2 turn down a possible upsell (I can dream can't I?) to the penthouse because it looks like the door is the same way?

I agree with you - but I have never been able to figure this stuff out.

I DO hope you have a great cruise on the Maasdam. Let us know - we'll be there next year and thanks :)

Jacqui

Brian is correct. By looking at the deckplan you can see where the door to the cabin is located. For us that means the door must be on the right side of the cabin for port side cabins and on the left for starboard side cabins. That way we're "facing" the correct direction when sleeping. (Sorry I was late getting back on this. Wouldn't you know it, I broke a filling last night just six days before we board the Maasdam and had to go to the dentist this morning for an emergency repair. It's a temp as he found other problems that caused the filling to break which meant a root canal so that ought to be a lot of fun on a cruise....not. :( I may have to drink more on the cruise since I won't be chewing well. ;):))[/quoten

I hAd an emergency root canal the day before we left for the Maasdam in January. It was a Sunday and I was so lucky the dentist came in.Good luck with it.

First of all don't make the mistake I did on my last cruise - get the tooth fixed. Thank heavens a fellow cruiser had this gummy stuff that helped.

Now, this right hand of the cabin stuff - I'm confused - :eek:

how do you figure this out? I'm looking at the Prisendam deck plan and if I am looking at it right all of the suites on the Sports deck have their doors on the left hand side? I'm just looking at notches.

does this mean #1 that we should go down a deck and

#2 turn down a possible upsell (I can dream can't I?) to the penthouse because it looks like the door is the same way?

I agree with you - but I have never been able to figure this stuff out.

I DO hope you have a great cruise on the Maasdam. Let us know - we'll be there next year and thanks :)

Jacqui

As I remember you've booked or are thinking of booking an S category on the Prinsendam. I just looked at their deck plan and the good news....from Mrs. K's point of view.....is that all the S cat cabins have the bed located so that you'll be sleeping with your head aft and feet forward which is her preference. The point is that the bed is, at least on most ships I've been on but there are probably exceptions, always on the opposite wall from the door opening. So looking at the Prinsendam you see the door to the cabin is on the right side for port side cabins which puts the bed to the left as you enter the cabin and on the left for starboard side cabins which puts the bed on the right as you enter. I really wouldn't worry about it one way or the other, it's just Mrs. K's preference and probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans. :)

As for the tooth.....I feel amazingly good this morning. Guess I was having more trouble with that tooth than I realized. Ate on the temporary last night and it seemed to "work" OK though I was extremely careful. Dentist told me he was putting in a stronger binder in the temp because I was going to be gone for two weeks. Also gave me a little repair kit so I could patch it myself if needed. If I hadn't had it fixed before the cruise I'd probably been in trouble somewhere in the middle of the Caribbean so I guess it all worked out for the best. Of course the final bill is going to cost me a third of a cruise but it is what it is. :)

Archived