5 Tips To Save When Crusing

1. Bar Tab - This can be the most costly part of your cruise. If you can figure out a way to get alcohol on board than this is where you will save the most money. Or just don’t drink! :eek:

2. Shore Excursion - Do research on the boards, cheaper alternatives exist in most cases and they have been discussed in length. You may be able to buy tickets or hire a guide that is not a part of the cruise line.

3. Soda Cards - If you plan on drinking lots of soda it’s smart to pick these up in the middle of the beginning of the week. A few sodas at dinner can easily add up to the price of the unlimited pass.

4. Souvenirs – Stay away from this junk! Don’t get sucked into buying cheap T-shirts, watches and junk jewelry just because you’re on vacation. Just take extra photos that you can keep forever! :cool:

5. Be Prepared – Make sure that you bring everything on board that you’ll need for this trip. If you forget the littlest thing like lotion, pepto bismo, aspirin, or sun glasses they will sake you upside down to empty your pockets in the convenience shop.

So many people worry about getting carried away with spending when they go on a cruise. As long as you keep track and follow your own simple rules you can just sit back and enjoy your vacation!;)

1. Bar Tab - This can be the most costly part of your cruise. If you can figure out a way to get alcohol on board than this is where you will save the most money. Or just don’t drink! :eek:

2. Shore Excursion - Do research on the boards, cheaper alternatives exist in most cases and they have been discussed in length. You may be able to buy tickets or hire a guide that is not a part of the cruise line.

3. Soda Cards - If you plan on drinking lots of soda it’s smart to pick these up in the middle of the beginning of the week. A few sodas at dinner can easily add up to the price of the unlimited pass.

4. Souvenirs – Stay away from this junk! Don’t get sucked into buying cheap T-shirts, watches and junk jewelry just because you’re on vacation. Just take extra photos that you can keep forever! :cool:

5. Be Prepared – Make sure that you bring everything on board that you’ll need for this trip. If you forget the littlest thing like lotion, pepto bismo, aspirin, or sun glasses they will sake you upside down to empty your pockets in the convenience shop.

So many people worry about getting carried away with spending when they go on a cruise. As long as you keep track and follow your own simple rules you can just sit back and enjoy your vacation!;)

All good points....especially the last sentence of last paragraph.

Excursions can add up in a big way, too! Get a guidebook on your ports...either a library (free) or a bookstore will have them....If you find stuff you can do on your own (and most stuff is EASY to do!!!), you can save BIG BUCKS!

I read on Cruise Critic that on the Zaandam recently one could purchase liquor in the duty free shop on board and use it in your cabin during the cruise. This is a departure from the usual procedure where they keep the purchase until the last day and then deliver it to you. Has anyone done this ...it could save big-time on one's liquor bill?

I read on Cruise Critic that on the Zaandam recently one could purchase liquor in the duty free shop on board and use it in your cabin during the cruise. This is a departure from the usual procedure where they keep the purchase until the last day and then deliver it to you. Has anyone done this ...it could save big-time on one's liquor bill?

I don't know about purchasing after you board, but we always purchase prior to going. On Carnival it's Bon Voyage - the secret liquor list - and on Celebrity and Princess you can also get stateroom service prior to arrival - bottles are ready and waiting on you. The liquor is more expensive than if you purchased at home, but it's certainly cheaper than buying from the bars!! We like mimosas for breakfast so we always bring a bottle of champagne each in our carry-ons -- I think all the cruise lines allow this. Most will also let you bring a carton of sodas on if you aren't liquor drinkers (you have to make a choice between soda and wine). Someone mentioned the soda card - Princess also has a 'coffee card' for lattes, etc. :o

How much are sodas a piece and how much is the unlimited pass? I will be on the Norwegian gem, if that matters at all ( if its different on different ships).

Go to NCL's webpage and look under "Bon Voyage" Gifts. Prices are listed there.

3. Soda Cards - If you plan on drinking lots of soda it’s smart to pick these up in the middle of the beginning of the week. A few sodas at dinner can easily add up to the price of the unlimited go on a cruise. vacation!;)

One small note: sodas in the MDR include free refills, so multiple sodas at dinner won't add up -- they will, however, add up by the pool, in the buffet, and in other parts of the ship.

Your other tips are "right on the money".

This is soooo true! So many ways to double the cost of your cruise! My wife and I are going on the Caribbean Princess on 5/1. Her 1st, I told her how they nickel and dime you till you bleed. Now she thinks she'll hate cruising!! LOL We'll see!!!

• 4 weeks later...

We are a family of 5 traveling with 3 teenagers and I usually have each person put a 2 liter of Soda in their luggage. I also pack 1 or 2 cases of bottled water and bring along those flavor packets in a variety of flavors. I don't think we have ever bought a soda on board the ship. :p

Many good points all around.

I think buying a suite is a good way to overspend. We don't spend much time in our cabin, so why spend five times the cost for a suite?

Doing it yourself onshore is a way to save.

I think when people are on vacation, there is a tendency to want to let loose and enjoy the trip, and saving dollars is not always a consideration. One has to achieve a proper balance, still let loose a bit, but not extravagantly.

Which day would be considered 'the middle of the beginning of the week'? :p

I too was wondering what this ment in reguards to soda....

Soda Cards - If you plan on drinking lots of soda it’s smart to pick these up in the middle of the beginning of the week. A few sodas at dinner can easily add up to the price of the unlimited pass.

I thought for Royal you could only buy this the first day.

We are a family of 5 traveling with 3 teenagers and I usually have each person put a 2 liter of Soda in their luggage. I also pack 1 or 2 cases of bottled water and bring along those flavor packets in a variety of flavors. I don't think we have ever bought a soda on board the ship. :p

What about for dinner cause you can't bring drinks in.....

1. I buy the soda package for my husband and 2 children (and no Papa they do not drink that much in everyday life, but it is vacation and if they want it why not?) THE REASON WE BUY THE PACKAGE IS BECAUSE IT IS A FIXED EXPENSE. So if they drink less fine, if they drink more fine. there are no surprises.

2. We prebuy all excersion. Do your reseach and book everything prior to leaving. If not going thru the cruise line, know how much cabs, tips, etc will cost and factor that into the cost of the excersion.

3. We never eat in port. Why spend $ on food when you can go back to the ship. We always try to be off the ship by early, do our excersion, sightseeing, or beach day. Return by 2pm shower (if were at the beach), grab a bite to eat and then head out by 3 to do a little window shopping. Again we do not buy something on inpulse.

4. This is always our biggest expense. You will have your picture taken many times throughout your cruise. Everyday we go down to the photo gallery and gather up our pictures from the day before. We put all our photos together. So at the end of the cruise we lay them all out and choose the best one.

5. Arcade: If traveling with children, preload there card. We had a friend who was very surprised at the end of their cruise when the arcade bill was $400 :eek:. My children need to save their own $ for the arcade. I then divide that by the number of nights of the cruise. I then go and load their cards daily with that set amount. When it is gone, they are done! Otherwise they would blow it all in one night.

5. Adult arcade ;): We use the same rule as the kids. Set amount of the night and when it is gone, it is gone. I only play the slots and bring 2 buckets with me. I will put a $20 bill in play one turn and cash it out. Put that change in one bucket (your spending bucket), then put in your bet. If you win cash it out and put it in your 2nd bucket (your winning bucket) then place another bet from your spending bucket. Every time you win, cash out and place it in your winning bucket. NEVER TAKE $ OUT OF YOUR WINNING BUCKET!After your set amount that your brought is spent, cash in your winning bucket. My husband does not believe in this, as he says it is to much work. 80% of the time come out even or ahead. :D

We pay for as much as we can before we go. Excersions, tips (although we always give extra when we get there) beverage packages (wine and soda). Get as much out of the way as you can. You truely can cruise on a budget. :D

• 2 months later...

I buy drinks on board because I enjoy going to the bar and having a before dinner drink with friends. I save money other ways... I book an inside room (usually out making new friends instead of in the room), I plan private or personal excursions at ports and I don't order more than a few drinks each day.

3. Soda Cards - If you plan on drinking lots of soda it’s smart to pick these up in the middle of the beginning of the week.

Could that mean buy it in international waters to avoid the tax?

We like mimosas for breakfast so we always bring a bottle of champagne each in our carry-ons -- I think all the cruise lines allow this. Most will also let you bring a carton of sodas on if you aren't liquor drinkers (you have to make a choice between soda and wine). Someone mentioned the soda card - Princess also has a 'coffee card' for lattes, etc. :o

Nope--RCCL does NOT let you to carry on sodas, water, wine etc. anymore. We carried on a 6pk each of Mountain Dew & Diet Pepsi plus tonic on Princess. (No Coke alternative to MDew!) But that is a NO go on RCCL (apparently they have been clamping down on that the last year or so)

Archived