Falling while getting on tender

MissKIA

Do any of you know of anyone ever falling into the water while getting on a tender? I'm not afraid of water or anything, but this seems kind of risky.

No. There are plenty of people to make sure that you are safe.

Do any of you know of anyone ever falling into the water while getting on a tender? I'm not afraid of water or anything, but this seems kind of risky.

Saw a drunk guy do it in Belize once... They fished him out faster than you could laugh at him for being so stupid

Sorry I was just reminded that was a snorkel boat not a tender

I lost a flip flop tendering on our first cruise. It was raining and slippery, and my flip flop just slid off. Luckily the crew fished it out of the ocean for me and presented it to me like Cinderella. It was really sweet of them to do that and they got a really nice tip. :)

I too saw some drunk guy fall off a catamaran in GC..They also fished him out pretty quickly but he kept hollaring, Moby Dick, Moby Dick, Watch my beer..We all just kinda sat there like *****..they made him sit under the little swimmy ring on the way back..Ill dig and see if I can find a pic.

Yes, I saw a woman have a terrible fall on HAL's Maasdam. She fell almost in front of me. She was coming down the stairs from the ship and not paying enough attention. She slipped and went flying into the tender, smashing her left arm and shoulder into the doorway. We later heard that she broke her arm. The crew helping with the tender were all small in stature and the woman was hefty and they couldn't lift her. She was in danger of falling between the ship and the tender. A big man by me got up and was able to lift her up to safety on the ship platform.

I've haven't been on another tender that was set up that way. You basically came down a steep outside metal staircase onto the platform that was right against the tender. It was slippery.

Oh, to make nerves worse on that tender, right as we pulled away from the ship, the engines failed and another tender started smacking into us. Some of the older women were quite frightened. There wasn't any danger, but it was scaring them and they started screaming.

Here's a few pictures of a typical tender operation in Grand Cayman:

IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

As you can see, there are crewmembers on both sides of the gangway to assist the passengers. It's really not risky in the least. If the conditions are not conducive to a safe tender operation the Captain will make the decision to skip the call...

:)

Wow, that tender is nothing like the ones in Catalina! Those freak me out. The wind really picked up and the water was super choppy last time I was there, I thought we were going to get thrown right off when we were heading back to the ship. Bruised my butt a bit but I have a really bony butt that bruises easily. :)

But didn't some lady sue Carnival and get a pretty payout recently for falling off a tender?

Wow, that tender is nothing like the ones in Catalina! Those freak me out. The wind really picked up and the water was super choppy last time I was there, I thought we were going to get thrown right off when we were heading back to the ship. Bruised my butt a bit but I have a really bony butt that bruises easily. :)

But didn't some lady sue Carnival and get a pretty payout recently for falling off a tender?

Certainly the sea state can get bad at any tender port and the experience would be similar to yours at Catalina. We missed Grand Cayman on our last cruise on the Conquest because the seas were too rough.

:)

i have read and seen everything from falls and slips, to reading about people falling in water, and even breaking limbs.

i think some people forget the type of vacation they choose, some even worrying about the waves while sailing.

We were sitting on our balcony and watched a lady slip and fall hard on a tender in Half Moon Cay. The staff immediately helped her and the tender pulled away from the ship as a wicked storm had just set in. It was terrible watching that tender rock back and forth and everyone holding on in the tender holding on as the rain beat down. Fortunately the storm was gone in 15 minutes....

The best advice about tendering is to let the staff help you. Do not reach with your hands to hold on to the tender while you are still on the ship's platform, that's how most people get hurt. Think about it the tender has alot of weight and momentum that you are absorbing with your arm. I just stand on the platform with my arms slightly bent and let the staff member take one and tell me to step to the tender. They can judge the waves and interaction very well. One second you are standing on the ship and the next in the tender. Never try to straddle between the two.

And yes they don't tender in dangerous conditions and sometimes passengers get really mad and have meetings because they don't think it is too risky to avoid tendering :)

Archived