What a privilege!

DD

As a TA, I've been on many ships and many cruises, but I'm beyond-excited about my next cruise.

My husband and I are taking my parents on the Summit to Bermuda for their 50th anniversary. They wanted to sail out of a home port, and this fit the time-frame.

I'm just in a really happy reflective place about this. I am keenly aware of what a rare privilege it is to have two parents alive and in good health celebrating this milestone--life is precious and fragile. I cannot think of a better way to celebrate -- we're doing a big party and then just the four of us are cruising.

My parents have cruised many times before, some with us, some on their own. They've been on the Summit within the last year, but, like me, they are very excited about this particular cruise.

Sometimes I think you just have to stop and acknowledge that life is good. I feel very blessed and privileged to be able to do this. I just wanted to post some happiness :)

You brought a smile to my face DD! You are certainly blessed and I understand wanting to take a moment to savor that feeling. May you and your family have a wonderful and memorable cruise !

Congrats on your parents 50th. Life is precious and this is a special occasion that should be marked. Cruising and celebrating a milestone or special birthday certainly make a cruise special and exciting. I know this to be true. My sister and I took my Mom on a cruise to celebrate her 80th birthday. It was so nice to spend quality time with her.

Enjoy your cruise with your parents. The Summit is a fine ship, yes an older ship, but lovely.

What a lovely post. Congrats to your parents and you are, as you say, lucky to be able to do it.

We did a similar thing for our 50th Birthdays we took our adult children and parents on QE11 in penthouse suites. ( just a short cruise)

I had remembered seeing QE11 as a child and saying to mum & Dad that I would take them on it one day... a throw away remark.. and at the time beyond the realms of possibility....

All those years later we did do it and are so glad that we did, we looked forward to it for months and revelled in the excitement and still have the wonderful photos and memories of a very special time.

It is wonderful to celebrate on board.

Have a great trip, I know you will :)

Congratulations to your parents on their 50th anniversary, a wonderful milestone.

They are truly blessed to have each for so many years.

The memories that you'll make onboard Summit will last you a lifetime. I hope you all enjoy every moment.

Your lovely post brought tears to my eyes.

Mari

Happy Golden Anniversary to your parents! I agree 100% with your sentiments.

After years of trying to convince them, we are taking my parents on their first cruise in June, also on the Summit to Bermuda. I am so excited to share this with them. I really think they're going to love it.

In 2013, they will be celebrating their 50th and dh and I will be celebrating our 10th. We've joked that we'll go to Vegas and get remarried by Elvis is a double ceremony, but perhaps a double renewal onboard might be a little more romantic. ;-)

Have a great time on your cruise!

My sister, brother-in-law, myself and my fiance are taking my parents who are in their mid-70's on Celebrity Century's Panama Canal cruise at the end of this month. This cruise was an item on my dad's bucket list! We are are really looking foward to our trip together!

Congratulations to your parents! 50 wonderful years! My husband and I have been blessed to celebrate my grandparents Golden Anniversary (3 months after our wedding) and his parents Golden Anniversary in 2008. Last year DH and I took our 2 DS's on a Spring Break cruise and invited my in-laws to join us and were so happy that they said yes! We spent quality time together, but not too much that we were sick of each other! It was wonderful!

Enjoy this time with your parents! It is a huge blessing!

• Administrators
As a TA, I've been on many ships and many cruises, but I'm beyond-excited about my next cruise.

My husband and I are taking my parents on the Summit to Bermuda for their 50th anniversary. They wanted to sail out of a home port, and this fit the time-frame.

I'm just in a really happy reflective place about this. I am keenly aware of what a rare privilege it is to have two parents alive and in good health celebrating this milestone--life is precious and fragile. I cannot think of a better way to celebrate -- we're doing a big party and then just the four of us are cruising.

My parents have cruised many times before, some with us, some on their own. They've been on the Summit within the last year, but, like me, they are very excited about this particular cruise.

Sometimes I think you just have to stop and acknowledge that life is good. I feel very blessed and privileged to be able to do this. I just wanted to post some happiness :)

Thanks for posting this, we all should stop and reflect from time to time.

Laura

::::acknowledging that life is VERY good, and feel blessed! Will be sharing my upcoming Summit cruise with some of our volunteer hosts and members -- how lucky!::::

I can relate to how you feel. My wife and I have taken several Celebrity cruises, but never with family. But this year will be different. Our daughter and her husband will be with us on the Silhouette in October to help us celebrate our 58th. We feel so blessed.

I LOVE your post! It is refreshing to read such warm and positive comments. For all of us who are able to cruise, we are indeed fortunate. Thanks for your happy thoughts and have a great cruise with your parents!

Sheila

DD, your post is very heartwarming:) and I am happy ya'll have

healthy parents who can still travel. You actually made me teary

eyed (in a good way).

My Dad is 90 and is no longer "the Daddy I know":(...as our roles have

reversed...the parent is now the child as happens in many cases these

days.....

Treasure your time together. Life really does fly by.......

Life is a privilege and so is old age. Can't ever understand why people will try to hide their age? I am proud that I have lived as long as I have, and I don't use that stupid phrase xx years young.

I am sure everyone has heard the one from the CDs about the couple that were celebrating their 75th wedding anniversary. They were asked what the secret was and the woman replied "The old SOB won't die".

Nice that you are able to appreciate and enjoy it.

They got married right out of high school, so they're relatively young. Mom is a two-time cancer survivor who is now in good health and Dad still works full-time. AND, they love my husband as a son, so, yes, we're very blessed.

I think we're all going to do the premium drink cards and celebrate!!!!! I love the idea of having an all-inclusive feel to the vacation. It's just a little more pampering!

Reading this string of messages has brought tears to my eyes, you never know when life is going to strick you a cruel blow so all the more reason to treasure all the times you have together.

I hope that you have a wonderful cruise to celebrate your parents 50th and always savour the wonderul memories.

Have been following this delightful thread and wanted to share our experiences.

We Celebrated our 40th weding anniversary by taking our children, their spouses and children on a cruise.

It was a wonderful experience for all of us! Our grandchildren enjoyed being with family so much, they didn't even participate in any of the children's programs offered.

As has been noted before on this thread, one never knows what the future will bring, so we celebrated on our 40th - didn't wait until our 50th.

As an aside - I've also seen many other "generatios" cruisers. On our last cruise I met a family of 3 siblings and their signifigant others who took thier mother on the cruise for her 70th birthday.

Also met a Grandmother, Mother, Daughter group on this cruise.

On previous cruises have seen weddings and, of course, family reunions.

5 years ago I took our daughter on a cruise to celebrate her 30th and my 60th birthday. Hope we can do it every 10 years - several more times!!

Isn't it great that there are so many wonderful things to celebrate?

Thanks, OP, and other posters, for sharing!

Thank you for starting my day with a smile. :D

Congratulations to your parents on their Anniversary.

Travel is a wonderful gift, I am thankful to be able to share with the one I love and with all the wonderful friends we have met along the way.

Have a wonderful time!

Joe

What a refreshing change of pace. Your post is heartwarming and how blessed are your parents to have a DD like you. I think we should all take time and acknowledge our positive moments now and then rather than the downers. I hope you all have a fabulous cruise as I know you will and hope your parents remain in good health for many more years to come.

Archived