Explorer - Grand Suite Vs. Junior Suite

I'm planning to sail on the Feb 27, 2012 Explorer. It's a special occasion as both my daughter and I will graduate in May of 2012. The pricing on the suites is pretty good for an 11 night sailing. In fact, the Grand Suite is only about $600 more than a Junior Suite.

So - what are the differences, other than size, between the rooms? Are there enough "extras" with a Grand Suite to be worth $600 more?

Will you drink enough "free" liquor to make the GS's pricing worth it? That's the only "monetary" perk...the cocktail hour around dinnertime.

For 2 adults, a JS is ample room....

However, with a "true" suite, you will get reserved seating at shows and the pool...don't know if it's worth an extra $600!

For your $600 you get:

Priority Checkin

Personalized attention throughout the cruise with complimentary Concierge Club service on select ships

Reserved prime seating in the main theater for entertainment shows, where available

Priority tender tickets on select cruises. (Tender service is provided when smaller vessels are necessary to reach shore in locations without docking ports large enough for cruise ships.)

VIP pool deck seating, where available

Full breakfast, lunch and dinner dining room menus available for in-room dining

Private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurants on our Voyager and Freedom Class ships

Mattel® board games available to order for in-room entertainment for the kids

Complimentary luggage valet service

Luxury spa bathrobes for use onboard

Complimentary pressing service on formal night

Priority departure with exclusive suite* departure lounge featuring continental breakfast

Go for the Grand Suite! For $600 more, it's a great way to celebrate your graduations. You ladies have earned the suite treatment!:)

The GS will give you access to the Concierge to assist you with whatever you need, and you'll enjoy the Concierge Lounge as well. There are reserved seats at the pool and the theater. You'll have access to the full MDR menu for room service. Plus more space, a nicer bathroom, 2 sinks, a bigger balcony, etc.

Have a great cruise!!

You also get tons of storage! I can never use it all. A minor thing, but I love it is the magnified. lighted make-up mirror at the "desk". And you do get a bowl of fresh fruit and one large bottle of water. Once we did a GS, we can never go back! Another minor thing, you get Gheridelli (sp)chocolates on your pillow every night. You have access to the Concierge Lounge 24 hrs. and there is a great machine there for specialty coffees anytime you want. Also, your concierge can make reservations for you or help you with any problems you might encounter. There is a continental breakfast there as well as the cocktail hour in the evenings. For an 11 night cruise I consider another $600 for the GS well worth it. Oh, and you get nice robes for on board use and some scuffie slippers that you can leave or take home.

We've (DH and I) been in both a GS and a JS on Explorer. We did a 9 day in a GS and a 12 day in a JS. We love the GS for the concierge lounge and other amenities, but doing a 12 day in a JS we had plenty of storage and room. We're in a GS again in Oct on Freedom and to us it is worth the cost. We will be booking again for next spring soon and will probably book a GS again. We want to wait til the next WOW sale (May I think) to book so the deposit is lower.

Book yourselves a GS the perks are well worth the money, we sail usually in either a JS or if the price is right (like it is for you)a GS, and at the price would snap it up!!!:)

Go with the GS. You won't regret it; and you deserve it. I have stayed in both, one other perk for GS, u get priority seating at theater shows, priority seating for breakfast or lunch at windjammer; u get tickets to ice show thru conceierge, and it's just a nice luxury to have the added space. 11 days at sea; it is nice to have a large living room.

It was a tough decision, but I ended up booking the Junior Suite. There are actually 3 of us sailing. We don't drink (daughter is underage), so the free alcohol wasn't really a selling point. The reserved seating - now that was a selling point on the Grand Suite. Ultimately, having to pay for 1/2 my cruise up front because of the double deposit requirement on the Grand Suite convinced me that we'll be perfectly happy in the Junior Suite.

I almost went with a E1 ($700 less than JS) and then remembered how uncomfortable that sofa bed is. Please tell me the JS bedding is better for the 3rd person...

Thanks all!

Book yourselves a GS the perks are well worth the money, we sail usually in either a JS or if the price is right (like it is for you)a GS, and at the price would snap it up!!!:)

We went back to a JS on the same ship (Explorer) and will have a balcony on Enchantment in July, but we're going back to a GS on Freedom in Oct. Would I prefer a GS all the time, yes, but they're not always available or are they worth the cost. Sometimes they are just way too expensive.

I'm planning to sail on the Feb 27, 2012 Explorer. It's a special occasion as both my daughter and I will graduate in May of 2012. The pricing on the suites is pretty good for an 11 night sailing. In fact, the Grand Suite is only about $600 more than a Junior Suite.

So - what are the differences, other than size, between the rooms? Are there enough "extras" with a Grand Suite to be worth $600 more?

:cool:For $54 per day, it is a no brainer for me. Much bigger room, concierge lounge benefits, and others mentioned many times on cc. Since it is a special occasion, GO FOR IT:cool:

Archived