Tendering from the "Veendam" in Bermuda

marco

I've posted a similar inquiry on the "Bermuda" board. Many years ago I took a cruise to Bermuda and we had to tender in. We did not use the ships tenders that ran continuously, but a large Bermuda ferry with several hours inbetween runs. For anyone who has taken the "Veendam" to Bermuda my question is: Does HAL use their own tenders while in St George's or a Bermuda ferry. The vessel used isn't important, but the frequency of trips is.

I've posted a similar inquiry on the "Bermuda" board. Many years ago I took a cruise to Bermuda and we had to tender in. We did not use the ships tenders that ran continuously, but a large Bermuda ferry with several hours inbetween runs. For anyone who has taken the "Veendam" to Bermuda my question is: Does HAL use their own tenders while in St George's or a Bermuda ferry. The vessel used isn't important, but the frequency of trips is.

They don't use the ships tenders, they use a Bermuda ferry. They were using the Bermudian. I don't know if that one is back in service but they will use a large Bermuda ferry.

Yes, the "required use", as I understand it, of the Bermuda owned/operated large tender is a negative. On the Amsterdam in 2008, we anchored in the Great Sound and were tendered to and from Hamilton. Going to the city was not an issue. Returning to the ship was. Long waits for the tender to arrive, very little protective cover from the Sun--and this was April--and we did not leave the dock until the tender was full. I saw some people, and they were not elderly, suffer from such a long wait in line in the Sun as well as the delay in returning to the ship.

For ships that are not able to dock, Bermuda is not as cruiser friendly as it might make itself out to be.

A heads up! The ferry Bermudian, used to transport Veendam's pax from Murray's anchorage to St. George's last season, broke from her moorings as a result of Hurricane Igor in SEP, and washed ashore. She was eventually freed with the help of tugboats and towed to Dockyard for repairs (starboard rudder broken off at the flange (connection) as well as some damaged sections of the starboard propeller)

IMG00292-20100919-1811.jpg

bermuda-ferry-boat-rocked-2010-3.JPG

TenderBDA-1-2.jpg

bermuda-ferry-boat-rocked-2010-2.JPG

Have her repairs been completed and is she ready for use?

Would Veendam use her own tenders if not?

We are toying with the idea of perhaps a Bermuda cruise,,,,,,, which I previously said we would not do. :rolleyes: It's 'under consideration' pending answers to some questions we have. :)

We are toying with the idea of perhaps a Bermuda cruise,,,,,,, which I previously said we would not do. :rolleyes: It's 'under consideration' pending answers to some questions we have. :)

I am sure they won't use the ships tenders. What you may want to consider is that on many sailings like the one I took last summer because of rough seas that they will cancel the tendering and go direct to Hamiltion. That was fine with me. They gave us a one day transportation pass and I went to St. George with it on the ferry. I would actually prefer that happen again. I liked last year on the Veendam well have booked it again this year.

Veendam wil not use her ship's tenders for a couple of reasons:

#1 Each tender, usually four are used on the S-class ships, would be required by Bermuda law to carry a local pilot, throughout the tender operation!

#2 Per Capt. Card, the run round Fort St Catherine can be very rough at times, especially for ship's tenders which tend to be smallish

I remember the cruises when Veendam went directly to Hamilton and I agree, that would be perfect. We'd hope for that to happen.
Well, the way it is now you could tender in at St G but not tender back out ... just make you own way to Hamilton for reboarding after 8:00p that night. (I'm told that's allowed.)

Veendam wil not use her ship's tenders for a couple of reasons:

#1 Each tender, usually four are used on the S-class ships, would be required by Bermuda law to carry a local pilot, throughout the tender operation!

#2 Per Capt. Card, the run round Fort St Catherine can be very rough at times, especially for ship's tenders which tend to be smallish

So.......

If the Bermudian isn't repaired and back in service, Veendam will go directly to Hamilton?

Well, the way it is now you could tender in at St G but not tender back out ... just make you own way to Hamilton for reboarding after 8:00p that night. (I'm told that's allowed.)

Yes, I think that's possible but depending what time we went ashore that could too long a day for me. If we were to have to wait a long time to be able to reboard, that might not work out well for me. Depending upon lots of variables such as heat/weather etc

Last year, we had no interest in doing this cruise but circumstances make it more appealing for us to consider possibly booking it. We're just in the 'thinking process' right now but I'm trying to gather some pertinent (for us) info.

Yes, the "required use", as I understand it, of the Bermuda owned/operated large tender is a negative. On the Amsterdam in 2008, we anchored in the Great Sound and were tendered to and from Hamilton. Going to the city was not an issue. Returning to the ship was. Long waits for the tender to arrive, very little protective cover from the Sun--and this was April--and we did not leave the dock until the tender was full. I saw some people, and they were not elderly, suffer from such a long wait in line in the Sun as well as the delay in returning to the ship.

For ships that are not able to dock, Bermuda is not as cruiser friendly as it might make itself out to be.

With all due respect, HAL could avoid the whole tendering issue in St Georges if they assigned a different ship to the run. last years changes to Veendam made her unable to transit into St Georges harbor, hence the need for tenders. They could simply assign a different ship that has not yet been modified and avoid the whole problem. Not sure why they didn't do it again this year

So.......

If the Bermudian isn't repaired and back in service, Veendam will go directly to Hamilton?

They've had six months to replace a rudder and repair a propellor at Dockyard. I would imagine Bermudian is good to go

Judy,

If all goes as planned, we've booked the Veendam on October 9. Our last time in Bermuda was on Columbus Day weekend and the weather was superb. Having been there several times, during all seasons, September and October are my favorites.

I'd love to sail with you, Sheila. It would be a pleasure, I'm sure.

We are more apt to go a little earlier in the season. We've been to Bermuda a number of times but not for years. We stopped going for several reasons and one was weather. We had the worst luck with weather so if we decide on a Bermuda cruise, we're going to try for more summer like weather. I know there's never a guarantee for weather but it also fits better into DH's schedule to go mid to late summer.

I know after labor day works better for you and the Inn.

With all due respect, HAL could avoid the whole tendering issue in St Georges if they assigned a different ship to the run. last years changes to Veendam made her unable to transit into St Georges harbor, hence the need for tenders. They could simply assign a different ship that has not yet been modified and avoid the whole problem. Not sure why they didn't do it again this year

IIRC Veendam would have fitted the Gap into St. Georges with the alterations based on the previously allowed size of ship, hence the reason why it was scheduled originally. However the maximum size of ship was reduced by the Bermudan Government was reduced so even an unmodified S class ship would not fit. I am sure someone will correct me if I have remembered incorrectly!

Here's a post by Topsham....... He is a trusted authority on the subject.

#16 May 25th, 2010, 11:16 AM

Topsham

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:

Originally Posted by Set Free

That's a great fallacy. A ship cannot displace enough water to create a tidal surge unless it's in a pond. In an open harbor, the water goes in and out normally and a ship will not change the height of the tide.

Topsham:

Well that is EXACTLY what happens!!!!! The VEENDAM is a very beamy ship, much more so than other vessels that have run though town cut. On the simulation, when the vessels transits Town Cut the water she displaces cannot flow past the ship without creating a suction or cushion effect along the banks of the cut and once he gets 'bounced' she is impossible to control.

Town Cut is not an 'open harbour' and does rather resemble a pond.... open at each end. The effect is the same!

The soloution is to widen Town Cut a minimum of 50 feet and take out the 'bend' in teh channel. Possible of course but it will cost big bucks.... $20 million at least.

Stephen

CC member Topsham provided what many believe to be the correct explanation of the cause of the problem in this thread from May 2010: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1206235

Post #16 is more of a summarized explanation, and post #24, more detailed.

CC member Topsham was a Bermuda Harbor Master.

SBtS

I'd love to sail with you, Sheila. It would be a pleasure, I'm sure.

We are more apt to go a little earlier in the season. We've been to Bermuda a number of times but not for years. We stopped going for several reasons and one was weather. We had the worst luck with weather so if we decide on a Bermuda cruise, we're going to try for more summer like weather. I know there's never a guarantee for weather but it also fits better into DH's schedule to go mid to late summer.

I know after labor day works better for you and the Inn.

That's true, Sail. We simply cannot go during the summer. I'm concerned that DH will decide we can't leave in October either...it's a surprise birthday gift for him (LOL...that way, what can he say???) and I've lined up an innsitter. Once we sell the inn, I think summer would be great...to avoid Hurricane Season especially. I think any time around Labor Day is most vulnerable from that aspect.

I'm concerned that this is not a profitable run for HAL...so want to make sure we do it...before they stop cruising to Bermuda!

IIRC Veendam would have fitted the Gap into St. Georges with the alterations based on the previously allowed size of ship, hence the reason why it was scheduled originally. However the maximum size of ship was reduced by the Bermudan Government was reduced so even an unmodified S class ship would not fit. I am sure someone will correct me if I have remembered incorrectly!

I think you will find that the reason Veendam will not fit the gap is because the alterations changed the draft. Because she is now heavier, the ship sits lower in the water and removing the safety factor when going through the cut. they might have changed the rules, but I think it was more because of the changes in the ships design.

We're going May 1, which is the first run to Bermuda for this season. I'll post and fill everyone in upon our return.

Thank you...looking forward to your report! In the meantime, have a wonderful cruise!

Archived