No Half and Half on RCI!!!!

Can you explain please. What is 'half and half'?

Here we have whole milk (approx 4% fat), semi-skimmed milk (approx 1.7% fat) and skimmed milk (Less than 0.5% fat).

Is 'half and half' the same as our semi-skimmed?

Half and Half is 10.5-18% butterfat. I believe that your semi-skimmed is 1.5-1.8% butterfat.

Give the OP a break.

There are many who post that they prefer some specific fruit drink, soda, mustard, hot sauce, salad dressing and the list goes on and on.

For me – hey - it is only a week or so. What’s the big deal – use what they provide unless, of course, it causes some medical concern.

M

We read there may or may not be half & half on our cruise, but when we saw it, we were so excited, I took a picture to show CC :D

We don't use half & half at home, but when dining out (or on a cruise), it's a treat. Delish!

* picture attached :)

1988265849_halfhalf.jpg.d7854a408f66d9e3d7a2ffd4b9f09bb3.jpg

In October on the Serenade they DID have half & half in the Windjammer...the little individual single serve cups...not pitchers... I didn't see them anywhere else...so I always made sure to take a couple extra to have with my room service coffee in the mornings...

Have to agree with you. I was on the week after you, and they had non-dairy creamer AND half-and-half in the WJ.

I was also on Enchantment last week and there was no half and half. I really missed it and can feel the disappointment of the poster. Will it stop me from cruising?-no I will cruise again. But at least next time I will take my own half and half along with the coffee bags that I take to avoid their coffee. Just don't mess with my coffee and tell me to get over it!

OP, thank you for the reminder. I will bring my own.

Reminds me of a recent stay at a very nice B&B. Lovely dining room. Lovely dishes. Poured me a cup of coffee, added the alleged cream and got a gray-brown liquid mess.

I asked the host if he had any half and half or whole milk or even dry creamer.

To which he replied "No" and turned around and walked away.

Nice.:mad:

I won't touch the non-dairy stuff. Too much junk with transfats and sometimes made form HFCS.

Land-o-Lakes makes a UHT non-refridge half-n-half called "Mini-Moos" that could be packed along in suitcase. I suspect other dairies have similar products. Might take some looking around at store. Keeps forever.

I do definitely recall UHT Half-n-Half on Serenade in the little peel top plastic cups. But I now wonder what was being served in the MDR in the little cream pitchers.

Okay, we just returned from Enchantment of the Seas and the cruise was wonderful. The crew could not have been any better! I do have a bone to pick with RCI, though. Nowhere, I mean NOWHERE, on this ship is Half and Half for your coffee. Not in the specialty coffee bar (the staff who served in that venue said I was about the "millionth" person who requested Half and Half and they carry only skim milk and whole milk. No Half and Half in Chops Grille (what!!!!????). No Half and Half in the MDR.

Now, they do try to fool you by labeling the pitchers in the Windjammer Buffet with "Half and Half". But believe me, this isn't half and half. In fact, one of the crew told me they "make" the half and half by mixing regular milk with "non-dairy creamer".

I have a hard time enjoying my coffee without my half and half. It really was a spoiler of an otherwise very enjoyable cruise.

I'm just saying....

I once asked for coffee with no cream the waitress said they were out of cream would I like it without milk!:cool:

Cost cutting of course. I wonder how far they will go? I think some of the point may very well be that people are taking a "luxury" vacation and paying substantially for it (some people, anyway) and something as simple and readily available in most U.S. places that serve coffee should be available. As long as we know we can plan for it.

My DH loves the liquid French Vanilla "creamers". We buy the giant pump bottle from Sam's Club. I know they won't have this onboard and will be bringing some of the 24 pack cuplettes from Wal-Mart along for him. Problem solved and DH can have his coffee the way he likes it!

You can purchase your own supply at Sam's Club. They have had half & half on every ship I have ever been on....sometimes run out later in the cruise--and it is/was REAL half & half.

The packages at Sam's Club are big....this product is also at Wal-Mart near the coffee. Packages of 24 of the mini cuplettes. I am "addicted" to the Stok mini cuplettes of "coffee shots"....also near the coffee. Mix one of each together with a shot of water and away you go! I LOVE this quick & easy caffeine fix ;).

The next cost cutter will be to take alcohol out of our adult drinks.After tasting some of these drinks I think they may have started already.I think that would ruin my vacation.

Ugh.......Good one! Thanks for the laugh! :D

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they tamper with the drinks next! It is after all, what's "good for us", too much alcohol has been determined to be "bad" for us.....so do gooder's just keep on doin' good! And if it helps the cruise lines bottom line all the better! I am sure the food will be scrutinized shortly....too much sugar, fat, calories...blah, blah, blah...........:p

We read there may or may not be half & half on our cruise, but when we saw it, we were so excited, I took a picture to show CC :D

We don't use half & half at home, but when dining out (or on a cruise), it's a treat. Delish!

* picture attached :)

They had pitchers in the Windjammer labled half and half on our cruise aboard Oasis but I knew as soon as I poured it that it was not and one taste confirmed it. They also had pitchers in the Cafe Promenade on the first morning as we were approaching Nassau and it really was half and half. It was also the ONLY morning that they had it in pitchers. After that it was in the little cups that have to be opened induividually.

Well I prefer the evil, nasty Non Dairy Creamer!

But on the RCI Ships I adjust and use whole milk.

I could haul some on board but it is too much trouble.

Whenever I am somewhere where I am not served exactly what I want, just the way I want it, I pause for a moment and think of our troops in Afghanistan out in the field for weeks dodging bullets and IEDs and eating MREs.

This really seems to make my complaints sort of small and inconsequential!

I could not find real h&h on the Voyager OTS. In Cafe Promenade I usually made a free mocha by adding packet of the dark hot chocolate to the strong Seattle's Best coffee. But the real trick is in the evening -- We had our waiter bring us a bowl of real whipped cream. This is really GOOD in coffee.

Okay, we just returned from Enchantment of the Seas and the cruise was wonderful. The crew could not have been any better! I do have a bone to pick with RCI, though. Nowhere, I mean NOWHERE, on this ship is Half and Half for your coffee. Not in the specialty coffee bar (the staff who served in that venue said I was about the "millionth" person who requested Half and Half and they carry only skim milk and whole milk. No Half and Half in Chops Grille (what!!!!????). No Half and Half in the MDR.

Now, they do try to fool you by labeling the pitchers in the Windjammer Buffet with "Half and Half". But believe me, this isn't half and half. In fact, one of the crew told me they "make" the half and half by mixing regular milk with "non-dairy creamer".

I have a hard time enjoying my coffee without my half and half. It really was a spoiler of an otherwise very enjoyable cruise.

I'm just saying....

This is a joke isn't it?

I could not find real h&h on the Voyager OTS. In Cafe Promenade I usually made a free mocha by adding packet of the dark hot chocolate to the strong Seattle's Best coffee. But the real trick is in the evening -- We had our waiter bring us a bowl of real whipped cream. This is really GOOD in coffee.

Thinking Outside of the Box!

I will remember this excellent idea!

On your other post of this matter, you posted that you knew a couple of years ago that they were getting rid of it because it spoils to easy. So you know this, still continue to cruise and most of all still complain about this? :confused: If it is so important to you, buy some before you board and bring it. After all 2 years is a pretty long time to still be complaining about half and half. ;)

OMG! I have not been complaining for two years! First of all, I had completely forgotten about the fact that it wasn't onboard Radiance two years ago. I haven't been complaining for two years. It wasn't until someone else mentioned that RCI did away with "real" half and half a couple of years ago that it jogged my memory of what that staff member had told me on Radiance.

I didn't say it spoils easily; that's what the crew member told me on Radiance. I have purchased half and half at home and the shelf life is sometimes 3 months!

Okay, people, I'm really confused as to why people think my comment on this subject means more than I meant it to be. I've now said several times that while I was disappointed in the coffee because of no half and half, I've reiterated several times now that the cruise itself was great! Geez....I guess some people just can't sense when something is said "tongue in cheek".

Yes, I would have loved to have my half and half with my coffee. As I said previously, the guy who worked the specialty coffee bar said he was asked over and over again why there was no half and half. He also told me they don't carry it on the ship. And thank you to the poster who validated my claim that the pitcher in Windjammer labeled half and half was definitely NOT half and half. I knew it from the getgo, but a crew member confirmed it for me when he said they make their own half and half with whole milk and non-dairy creamer.

I will say it one last time...the cruise was great. The staff was great. Do I wish I had half and half for my morning coffee...YES! But please stop the bashing just because I pointed out there was no half and half anywhere on that ship. And to those who supported my comments, thank you so much. You get it!!!

Wow. I am so glad to read this about no half and half. I'm cruising in a few months and I can't live without my coffee and I can't drink my coffee without half and half. I don't know why this person is being given such a hard time. I've read all kinds of little problems/complaints on this board that haven't gotten the poster jumped on like this.

Now I know I need to find some of the little individual ones to take on board with me, so I thank the original poster for posting. I think it's crummy to cut corners this way. Sheesh, I can get real half and half at Dunkin Donuts and Panera, but not on a Royal Caribbean cruise? What's next, margarine instead of butter? ;)

I think Temple1 summed it up best - and probably speaks for all of us who looovvve real cream in our coffee: not having half and half will not spoil our cruises, but having half and half would definitely enhance them.

Archived