Does RCL have any guidelines on what is considered appropriate swimwear?

ML81

We're now starting to sort out our cruise wardrobe and we realised that we need to get new swimwear. For me, it's relatively easy, I just need to find something I like and that fits.

DH has a old pair of speedos but he'd like to get new. Today he bought a pair of swimming shorts. So they look like shorts so he could easily wear them out on our excursions, but he could just as easy swim in them too. The question is, are there rules that mean he can't use them in NOS's pool? I'm asking as I know for some resorts this can be a 'no no' and they require that men wear tight swimwear.

I've tried googling, and searching RCLs website but haven't been able to find the answer, so I thought I'd ask the wisdom of CC. :D

We're now starting to sort out our cruise wardrobe and we realised that we need to get new swimwear. For me, it's relatively easy, I just need to find something I like and that fits.

DH has a old pair of speedos but he'd like to get new. Today he bought a pair of swimming shorts. So they look like shorts so he could easily wear them out on our excursions, but he could just as easy swim in them too. The question is, are there rules that mean he can't use them in NOS's pool? I'm asking as I know for some resorts this can be a 'no no' and they require that men wear tight swimwear.

I've tried googling, and searching RCLs website but haven't been able to find the answer, so I thought I'd ask the wisdom of CC. :D

The majority of American men wear only swimming shorts (9"-11" is the norm) and NOT speedos, so you won't find any type of rule by RCCI requiring tight swimsuits in their pools. My recent Oasis with alot of Brazilian men - I wish Royal had a rule against speedos and thongs. :o

When I read the title of your thread, I thought it might be a question about thongs or other skimpy swimwear. Glad it was not.

On the US departures, I see far more men in swim trunks/ swim shorts than in speedos. Many of the young people wear rather long ones. Most of my European voyages, have been in port intensive and cooler weather, so I didn't see as much swimwear. what I did see included lots of swim shorts. His should be fine. He'd fit in better in those than a speedo on this side of the pond.

I always have far more trouble finding swimwear than does DH. Kudos to you if you find it easy.

Wow! I have been all around the world and I have never heard of requiring that men only wear tight swimwear. Where is that?:confused:

I'm guessing Europe since a comment was made earlier that American's wear more short like swimsuits.

The only rule I would expect is that the swimtrunks actually be made out of swimwear material and not just regular shorts. Our gym has that rule and so do most pools.

Thanks for all the responses.

That at least puts my mind at rest, and perhaps we'll get him another pair as he does seem to like them.

Just got to find mine now. No thongs here though, sorry to disappoint ;)

Just pick a copy of any popular magazine (PEOPLE) and you'll see many young men with very long, baggy looking swimsuits. Most are in teens and 20's, but it's the style in the US. I saw my first speedo on a cruise and we assumed they were European. Just not the style here in the States, but you'll see some speedos on the cruise...mostly by men that should NOT be in a speedo, but...anythiing goes.

Today he bought a pair of swimming shorts. So they look like shorts so he could easily wear them out on our excursions, but he could just as easy swim in them too. The question is, are there rules that mean he can't use them in NOS's pool? I'm asking as I know for some resorts this can be a 'no no' and they require that men wear tight swimwear.

He'll be fine with those. My son has some of the shorts like I think you're talking about and he loves them, because they don't necessarily look like swim trunks when he's just out and about, but if he does end up in the water the fabric dries really quickly afterward.

Cut-offs are the thing that's commonly discouraged (not sure if Royal has a specific rule on that or not), but I think that's because of the risk of loose threads coming off the "cut-off" edges and clogging the filtration system.

Wow! I have been all around the world and I have never heard of requiring that men only wear tight swimwear. Where is that?:confused:

A number of places in Europe have rules like this for two reasons:

1. Hygienic reasons: They don´t want people to get into the pool with swimgear that they might have worn not only to go swimming but walked around in it all day all over the place.

2. Water saving: There has been proof that those baggy like swim trunks carry loads of water when leaving the pool vs. something like a speedo or other tight swimwear. With the number of swimmers this adds up to a considerable amount of water wasted this way.

I can just see the signs: "We strongly suggest men wear tight swimwear". hehehe just kidding around!

OP: he will be fine in what you described. As others stated, that is what you will see most american men wear. When my DH was 24 on our very first cruise he wore a speedo. The kids cringe when they see the pictures! lol

I'm so glad the super long board shorts are going out of style (the ones below the knees).

As was posted - mens swim trunks come in several lengths and styles. Some look obviously like swim trunks while others do look more like shorts.

• 1 year later...

I've seen all sorts of swimwear for men on all the cruiselines. I have never heard of swimsuit guidelines. Only that they require to you wear one! ;)

I have seen some suits that I hope to never see again, if you know what I mean! LOL

A number of places in Europe have rules like this for two reasons:

1. Hygienic reasons: They don´t want people to get into the pool with swimgear that they might have worn not only to go swimming but walked around in it all day all over the place.

2. Water saving: There has been proof that those baggy like swim trunks carry loads of water when leaving the pool vs. something like a speedo or other tight swimwear. With the number of swimmers this adds up to a considerable amount of water wasted this way.

The pool near us in Italy also requires guys to wear swim caps. It that typical in Europe? It is very uncommon in the States.

In response to the OP, I agree with what everyone else has said regarding your husbands swim shorts. They will be perfectly fine. The only concern Ive seen from RCCL or any cruise line is for "cut off" shorts. (typically trousers or jeans cut to the length of shorts) The fabric which frays from the lack of a hem gets into the water and quickly clogs or damages the filtration system on a pool or hot tub.

And as far as anyone who shared their objections to some peoples choice in swimwear, shame on you. Lighten up. Go slip into your swimsuit of choice, find a full length mirror, turn your back to it and glance over your shoulder. Yeah, yours probably isnt perfect either! It doesnt matter how much of our imperfection we cover up...ITS STILL THERE! The only commentary I can make about anyone Ive seen in speedos or thongs or revealing swimsuits whether they are ripped or rotund is that I WISH I had the confidence they obviously have in themselves! I can only hope that one day Im so busy enjoying my cruise that I just cant be bothered to worry about other people who are just as imperfect as I am, taking time away from their own vacations to judge me in my speedo!

Archived