Windjammer Anxiety

Confession: the hustle and bustle of the Windjammer stresses me out. I don't mind the food, but the stress of having to keep track of everyone in our party, trying to select which food I am going to eat, and then trying to find a table large enough for everone to sit at (all while trying to fight thick crowds)... all of it gives me a little anxiety as I make my way to the Windjammer.

I have just learned that there is outdoor seating at the Windjammer. Does anyone know if the Windjammer on the Freedom of the Seas has outdoor seating???

Seems like this would relieve a little anxiety if I could just escape from the circus that is the Windjammer... :)

It can be kind of aggravating, it helps on Day 1 because everyone has their phones, but after that it's chaos. We always just get up real early and lay out things at a good table and leave, that way we have the table all day long!

Kidding...:p

I don't believe the Freedom had outdoor seating, I think that's reserved for the Radiance class.

It can be kind of aggravating, it helps on Day 1 because everyone has their phones, but after that it's chaos. We always just get up real early and lay out things at a good table and leave, that way we have the table all day long!

Kidding...:p

I was reading in disbelief until I saw "kidding"....good one.

I would suggest you split your party up - find a table on your way into the WJ and then have 1/2 the people stay and 1/2 go get food then trade. That way everyone can take their time and not stress.

I think if you can snag a couple tables on the back end of the Windjammer, you'll feel much better. It's more spread out and not so loud. We went with our two adult children and what we did was leave notes for each other. DH & I ate every lunch at the Windjammer and after the first time we made a point of sitting in the same area. That way our kids had a ballpark idea of where we would be. Most mornings they joined us for Breakfast. I have one hard & fast rule for supper, though--everybody comes to the dining room. Unless they are too hurt or sick to show up, I want to check in with everyone once a day, minimum.

Personally, I didn't think the ship was soooo big that we couldn't find each other. Only one day did we not see DD other than for dinner. She was 17 and she really threw herself into the teen stuff. She was firmly ensconced there and the teen club is off-limits to adults. So I was pretty secure knowing that she was with them. BTW, she said the teen club was awesome!

We were on Freedom in March, and I didn't see an outdoor seating area. I agree with your fustration of keeping the table and taking turns coming/going...

Although we never sat there, there always seemed to be tables available at the front part (close to entrance), also it is less noisy, the only draw back is it is a longer walk to the food stations.

Not sure how outside seating will make any difference. I for one, try to stay away from the buffet as much as I can. Unfortunately there are no other lunch options for the Freedom on embarkation day.

For all other days it is easy. Simply dine in the Dining room for breakfast and for the sea day lunches. If you all must eat together, arrange for a meeting time at the dining room entrance. You will all be seated together and served. No buffet anxiety.

Not sure of “what your party” consists of, but unless you need to keep up with small children, perhaps it is not necessary to worry about eating/sitting all together for every meal. Many families/friends traveling together will basically do what accommodates their schedules during the day and arrange to all eat together in the evening.

Enjoy

M

Confession: the hustle and bustle of the Windjammer stresses me out. I don't mind the food, but the stress of having to keep track of everyone in our party, trying to select which food I am going to eat, and then trying to find a table large enough for everone to sit at (all while trying to fight thick crowds)... all of it gives me a little anxiety as I make my way to the Windjammer.

... :)

Last time there were 20 in our party. I kept track of myself and myself only.

With the exception of minor children, do not try to keep track of anyone. Trust me, they will be just fine without your supervision.

And if they are not, that is their problem, not yours.

My wife and I have been on one cruise where it was just the two of us. Every other cruise we have been on there have been at least 6 others with us. Here's how we handle it. We know ahead of time that the Windjammer will be crowded. It always is. Why fight it? Find a table for yourself (and maybe your spouse) and let the rest fend for themselves. You know ahead of time that it is very difficult to find a table that will accommodate your whole crew so don't bother trying. Why should YOU be responsible for finding a seat for everyone. It's your vacation too. Relax and don't get stressed out over things that you can't control, i.e. the crowd in the Windjammer.

Another tip... If you can eat at "off peak" times that will help with the craziness. And keep in mind that there are other options for meals other than the Windjammer! If you are hungry and the Windjammer is insane you can go somewhere else!! :)

Use the dining room, rather than the WJ...especially, for breakfast! They seat you, serve you, and all of the condiments will be on the table, just awaiting your use. It's SO much nicer than the buffet!

If you're at the pool, the dining room for lunch won't be your first choice, as bathing suits aren't allowed, unless you can cover them enough not to be noticed...so a quick trip to the WJ is easiest then.

Only Radiance class ships have that lovely outdoor seating in the WJ.

Another tip... If you can eat at "off peak" times that will help with the craziness.

This is so true. The Windjammer has always been madness for us as well, but this past cruise, we slept in late each day. As a result, we never got to the WJ until 1:30 or so and had no issues finding a table.

We try to have one person (usually me) find a table (usually at the back-less congested) while the other 3 (DH, DS & DD) start the foraging process. If none are immediately available, I usually was able to get one in a few minutes as folks were leaving. With no plates to carry I could move quite easily if I saw a group getting ready to leave (I stalk like a pro!) When they get back I go get what I want. The hardest thing is to get your food and THEN try to find a table. I enjoy the quiet alone time at the table watching the waves and/or people go by.

We try to have one person (usually me) find a table (usually at the back-less congested) while the other 3 (DH, DS & DD) start the foraging process. If none are immediately available, I usually was able to get one in a few minutes as folks were leaving. With no plates to carry I could move quite easily if I saw a group getting ready to leave (I stalk like a pro!) When they get back I go get what I want. The hardest thing is to get your food and THEN try to find a table. I enjoy the quiet alone time at the table watching the waves and/or people go by.

'taint rocket science.

If you stay in a suite with a gold card; they have special seating in chops or portifinos off the windjammer. On Allure they serve breakfast at Johnny Rockets; does anyone know if they serve breakfast at JR on Freedom?

...but the stress of having to keep track of everyone in our party... and then trying to find a table large enough for everone to sit at...

Since this is stressful for you, you'll have to develop a plan of attack before going to the WJ. Are there children in your party? Is this what is so stressful? Perhaps you could split them up between the adults, and then take smaller groups. If your party is huge, there is not a lot of hope of sitting together.

...trying to select which food I am going to eat...

Why? There are so many choices there, lots of both healthy and indulgent choices, that perhaps you could look at it with a lighter heart, making it an enjoyable part of your day. Can you get this at home? Not likely. Plus... someone else cooked it for you and is going to clean up after you. Pretty awesome. :D

...Seems like this would relieve a little anxiety if I could just escape from the circus that is the Windjammer... :)

Hmm. Is there anything else going on? I ask because I sense a little demophobia (a fear of crowds, masses, people). I don't mind naming it because I suffer myself and it can be debilitating and frustrating. Having said that, breathing techniques, prayer (if you believe), and doing what you can to control it can all be of help. You can't control the amount of people there (you called it "thick crowds") but you can go in with a plan for the meal and hopefully it will help alleviate some of your anxiety. :)

I agree with the tip for "off-peak" hours to try to seat large groups. We've never had more than 8 to keep track off, but I've seen parties of 20 trying to find seating together, and it looked like too much work. We tend to scope out seats as soon as we enter, and then grab a table or two or whatever's nearby to make it work. We know we may not all sit together all the time and make the most of it.

Not a big fan of buffets either. Our last cruises, we discovered the dining room for breakfast and personally, I never looked back. It was either dining room or room service, not buffet for breakfast. The dining room is open for lunch on sea days too, and on port days 1.) you can eat in port or 2.) the buffet isn't as crowded because a lot of people are off the ship.

Pretty sure you could avoid it altogether, between meals in the MDR, Room Service, Pizza, and Port Days, but I agree with the idea of sending people to get food in shifts... probably a good idea.

Kinda sad to hear there's no outdoor buffet seating on the Freedom, though :(.

Archived