Advice on using credit card

txd

:cool:According to Rick Steves much of Europe has started implementing a chip-and-PIN system, using credit cards that are embedded with a microchip and require a Personal Identification Number (PIN code) for transactions. Does it mean that US credit card won't always work?

Does it apply to Italy, Turkey and Greece?

I have not had this problem in Italy, even as recently as two months ago. I have had it come up in Amsterdam, however. It was only a problem when I tried to use the ticket machines at the train station, they would not accept a credit card without the microchip & pin and we had to line up and buy tickets at the counter. There they were able to take our credit cards, just not in the machine.

I agree with the above description. Your credit card should still be fine as NOone from the USA has the kind of card they are now using in Europe.

The only people reporting trouble are those trying to use machines/kiosks to buy things. IF a store tells you they cannot use your card it has been suggested that you ask for a manager as some employees may not be sure how to handle it.

I only use my credit card for large transactions and use cash(euros) for small ones.

This is not news. There was some discussion prior on the board that the common hang up you might have with the new cards is anywhere you buy things, but a human doesn't scan your card. As euro cruiser said, ticket machines at rail stations. Or the automated pumps at gas stations, like we have in the US.

According to Rick Steves much of Europe has started implementing a chip-and-PIN system, using credit cards that are embedded with a microchip and require a Personal Identification Number (PIN code) for transactions.

FYI: Travelex sells a Chip and PIN Cash Passport card for use in Europe. Yes, I know the exchange rate is terrible...currently about 10% above the going rate...but the convenience of having a chip card may be worth it.

I'm thinking of buying one and using it for just those times when my US cards will not work: at unattended parking lots, bike rental in Paris, self-serve gas stations, ticket machines, etc.

Lew

Even if there is chip readers on the machines, they still read the strip. Both will work.

You should never use your credit card for cash, interest begins to accumulate as soon as you withdraw the cash.

Make sure that your credit card and your ATM card have a 4 number PIN, any more will not work in Europe.

Also, make sure that your credit card company knows that you will be out of the Country. Call them and tell them where you will be. I forgot once and they would not honor the first purchase and calling long distance from Europe can be a chore.

Even if there is chip readers on the machines, they still read the strip. Both will work.

Not always...

There is an instance related by a CC'er who attempted to exit an unattended parking lot in Europe. The card reader would not accept his credit card without a chip. As he relates the story, it turned into quite a hassle.

If there's an attendant nearby who can swipe your non-chipped card manually, there should be no issue. However, you could very well be out of luck at unattended locations.

Lew

Not true. In many European countries, newer-type self-service kiosks (for example those used for buying train or bus tickets, or for parking) will only work with chip-and-pin cards. This has been documented in many travel forums and can usually be avoided by going to a human-manned ticket booth. However, there are a few instances where that's not an option.

If you are using your credit card anywhere where there is a person, they should be able to process the transaction using the "stone age" technology of just having you sign the transaction receipt. As has been mentioned already, sometimes store clerks claim they can't do it, but usually it's just because they haven't been trained to use this older method.....

Wish US banks would get with the program already.

Sorry Lew and Cruisemom42, I never had a bad experience like you describe and rarely use an unattended kiosk. I,with very few exceptions use my card when there is a person and only use ATM's at banks. My card has been scammed so I am a bit paranoid about where I stick it LOL.

Because many credit cards have a transaction fee as well as the exchange fees it is not logical to use credit cards for small purchases. ATMs and cash are the way to go.

ATMs are not necessarily the way to go since most debit cards for use at ATMs also carry transaction fees.

CapitalOne offers transaction free credit and debit cards. They also reimburse fees charged by ATM owners up to a monthly maximum.

There are other institutions in addition to CapitalOne offering transaction free cards. If you do any amount of traveling outside the US, it way be worth investigating transaction free cards.

Lew

I agree, Lew. My point was that if you are going to pay a transaction fee, then the amount withdrawn or spent should be large enough to be worth it. If you can get a card with no transaction fees that is great.

In Canada we cannot get Capital One debit cards and I believe their credit cards levy an international transaction fee.

In Canada we cannot get Capital One debit cards and I believe their credit cards levy an international transaction fee.

Interesting....they do not levy an international transaction fee if you are a US cardholder.

My point was that if you are going to pay a transaction fee, then the amount withdrawn or spent should be large enough to be worth it.

I was not aware the transaction fee regulations in Canada differed from those in the US. You would certainly be more knowledgeable than I on that subject.

Fees charged by US banks on foreign credit or debit card usage are a percentage of the transaction amount. So there would be no benefit of using cash from an ATM verses a credit card. If Canadians are charged a flat fee for foreign ATM transactions, it makes perfect sense to withdraw as much as possible when using an ATM.

Lew

That does make a difference. The last time I checked I had to pay $4.50 for credit card transactions and $5.00 for debit card. I just got back from China and for sure paid the $5.00 each time. The credit card charges are buried in with the exchange rate.

In some places we can use Scotiabank debit cards without charge at banks which are part of The 'global ATM alliance': http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/content/0,1608,CID8040_LIDen,00.html

That does make a difference. The last time I checked I had to pay $4.50 for credit card transactions and $5.00 for debit card. I just got back from China and for sure paid the $5.00 each time. The credit card charges are buried in with the exchange rate.

In some places we can use Scotiabank debit cards without charge at banks which are part of The 'global ATM alliance': http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/content/0,1608,CID8040_LIDen,00.html

Archived