How do you get a table for two?

We have taken 10 cruises on Royal Caribbean, Princess and Carnival and for each one have requested a table for two in advance, but we have never got one on any ship. Once onboard, we've normally been able to speak to the Maitre d' and get switched to a table for two, but sometimes this has meant changing our dining time.

Does anybody else like tables for two, and do you manage to get one by requesting it before you get on the ship or do you also have to try to switch when onboard? We usually book through a travel agent and I wondered if the cruise lines are more accommodating with these requests if you book direct?

Choose My Time Dining. Thre are LOTS of twos there. We have never been assigned a requested two either in about 30 cruises! Like you, we used to go to the dining room after embarkation and ask to be moved. Always accomodated, but once had to wait for the second night.

I'm sad about the thought of getting a table for two. We are choosing my time dining for the first time and I really enjoy sharing a meal with a table full of strangers. I really hope we won't get stuck at a table for 2 when we show up to dine at night. There are so many interesting things to be learned by talking to other people.

For our recent Voyager cruise, I requested a table for 2 via the online chat function of the RCI website months in advance. I was told that my request would be forwarded. About 3 weeks prior to the cruise, I saw this email addy RCLDining@rccl.com on cruisecritic and emailed them to confirm. They said they never got my request :o He forwarded the request and then sent me a confirmation about a week later (after I emailed for a status). Good luck!

We always got a table for 2 by booking My Time Dining on RCI , (or Anytime Dining on Princess, Freestyle on NCL etc.)

Traditional is hit or miss unless intervention by the Maitre'd upon boarding. We don't need any more hassle on embarkation day.

Choose My Time Dining. Thre are LOTS of twos there. We have never been assigned a requested two either in about 30 cruises! Like you, we used to go to the dining room after embarkation and ask to be moved. Always accomodated, but once had to wait for the second night.

Yes, request My Time, then show up the first night before the dining room opens and try to be the first in line.

We did this on Serenade in March, and got a GOOD table for two. There were some that were situated side by side, where each of you would be sitting two feet from the person at the next table, and that had no view of anything. Then there were the tables that were situated back to back, where each of us sat with our backs to the table behind each of us. We were right alongside the rail,and we overlooked the lower floor of the dining room. This was a much better situation, and we were seated here because we were the first in line as they opened the doors the first night.

They kept us at the same station all week, even if we showed up a little later. Here's a photo.

232090442_MoreSerenadecruise11015.jpg.a644b617b6bf991eff9850553856ea28.jpg

I'm sad about the thought of getting a table for two. We are choosing my time dining for the first time and I really enjoy sharing a meal with a table full of strangers. I really hope we won't get stuck at a table for 2 when we show up to dine at night. There are so many interesting things to be learned by talking to other people.

We chose MTD and for the most part plan to request a table for two. We'll be on a 10 night cruise. It takes 5 weeks before my husband and I are together for 10 days, so are greatly looking forward to dining alone.

But a few times we'd like to dine at a larger table, and hope those are also available. We've never cruised before, so have no idea.

Just off the Serenade yesterday. We got our table for 2 every night -no problems. Our dining time varied a lot, so we ended up at 4 different tables over the course of the week, but we kept the same waiter, so we didnt care where they put us. One night they were even out of twos so they put us at a table for 4 alone. Our waiter, Charlie, was fantastic!

Sherilyn, if you prefer to dine with others, you need to change to traditional dining. The only way you will be seated with others in MTD is if that group of people have asked to have others join them. Most MTD diners prefer to be just with their own group, usually family or couples.

I guess we have been lucky as we have been assigned a table for two when requested. And while there have been many cruises where we have been happy with a group table, there are times when we just want to just dine as a couple.

That's true...traditional, large table is the way to go if you enjoy the company of other like-minded folks! We love tablemates because dinner, for us, is more than just eating!

Of course, we eat every meal together (with the exception of some lunches) at home...it's lovely to have new people to talk to...share your experiences with....and if you want to be alone sometimes, the specialty dining venues are perfect for that!

We were on the same Serenade sailing as Rob... we had the 8:30PM dining time and we were seated at a table for 2. Ironically, we had asked to be seated at a larger table. In the past when we have asked for a table for 2, we always got it. We also eat at the 2nd seating.

Sherilyn, if you prefer to dine with others, you need to change to traditional dining. The only way you will be seated with others in MTD is if that group of people have asked to have others join them. Most MTD diners prefer to be just with their own group, usually family or couples.

That's what I was afraid of... but we want to do a lot of different times for dining and also speciality restaurants so it didn't seem very logical to do it. I guess it's a small price we'll have to pay to have more flexible dining times.

We did MY TIME DINING on our transatlantic last October, and was the first time we ever did have a table for two... while we would never ask for a table for 2 for an entire 14 night cruise, we both like meeting and talking to new friends, but I have to tell you that twice we were asked when we showed up at the MDR if we would take a 2 TOP, and for those 2 times we actually found we enjoyed dining together...HOWEVER, if you did not want to sit alone, it was never forced. We found MY TIME DINING allows us to meet many new friends, and will do it again on our next cruise.:)

We initially signed up for a table for two with MTD but got placed at a table for 10 where (including us) only 6 showed. We struck up an awesome conversation with a couple (the other, not so much) and sat with the other couple the rest of the cruise. We still talk!

We request a table for 2 thru C&A when we call for our suite discount. They never guarantee it, but we have always gotten it when we requested it.

We love eating with others also, but when we are celebrating our anniversary, we prefer being alone.

• 5 months later...
Yes, request My Time, then show up the first night before the dining room opens and try to be the first in line.

We did this on Serenade in March, and got a GOOD table for two. There were some that were situated side by side, where each of you would be sitting two feet from the person at the next table, and that had no view of anything. Then there were the tables that were situated back to back, where each of us sat with our backs to the table behind each of us. We were right alongside the rail,and we overlooked the lower floor of the dining room. This was a much better situation, and we were seated here because we were the first in line as they opened the doors the first night.

They kept us at the same station all week, even if we showed up a little later. Here's a photo.

That is the kind of table/location I wish we could get for traditional dining! I really don't want one inches from another table for 2. I am planning to send an email 3 weeks prior to our cruise asking for table for 2 - how should I word that to them?

That's true...traditional, large table is the way to go if you enjoy the company of other like-minded folks! We love tablemates because dinner, for us, is more than just eating!

Of course, we eat every meal together (with the exception of some lunches) at home...it's lovely to have new people to talk to...share your experiences with....and if you want to be alone sometimes, the specialty dining venues are perfect for that!

I definitely agree about the large tables. We've done the "table for two" once and decided that we didn't want a repeat. We've always made lasting friendships with some of those tablemates over the years.

We never request a table for two. As a matter of fact, we are leaving from Southampton on Thursday and going in a day early to visit with a couple we met a few years ago on the Baltic Cruise. We;ve remained friends every since. They have also come to the US. Table for two:; BORING!

That is the kind of table/location I wish we could get for traditional dining! I really don't want one inches from another table for 2. I am planning to send an email 3 weeks prior to our cruise asking for table for 2 - how should I word that to them?

Tell them you do not want a "banquette" style table for 2, and you do not want to be in a "group" of tables for 2.

Banquette style is where one side is an upholstered bench seat all the way across, and those are REALLY close. The grouping of "2's" is how they lay out some tables for two.

You want a table for two that is mixed in with larger tables, so you are truly seated by yourselves.

We always have traditional and request a table for 2 and our TA has always arranged it. We have never needed to make a change once onboard.

And we've been lucky enough never to get a table cheek by jowl with another table.

Archived