Regent cancels Christchurch call

I just received notice today that Regent has cancelled its calls at Christchurch, NZ on the Voyager for 2012, citing a lack of tourism infrastructure post earthquake. Is this a legitimate decision from a pax perspective? Is Christchurch really that bad off that it's no longer worth visiting? Thanks.

Yes it is legitimate. The Port of Lyttelton was badly damaged. I've read that cruise ships will not be docking there for the rest of the year. I believe it is being restricted to cargo/oil tankers and the like.

I'm sure one of the Kiwis here will be able to give you more information.

(Many ships are going to Akaroa - a delightful village - instead. It is a tender port and there are tours from there to the parts of Christchurch which can be visited again.) :)

Yes - I understand that the Port of Lyttleton has been closed to cruiseships for 12 months (approx). I don't know the current situation for Christchurch itself - but it's CBD was BADLY damaged.

What is Regent doing with the cancelled day? We went to Wellington instead on QM2 in February - and we had one of the very best shore days that we have had anywhere in the world :) Just one of those things.

Barry

Yes - I understand that the Port of Lyttleton has been closed to cruiseships for 12 months (approx). I don't know the current situation for Christchurch itself - but it's CBD was BADLY damaged.

What is Regent doing with the cancelled day? We went to Wellington instead on QM2 in February - and we had one of the very best shore days that we have had anywhere in the world :) Just one of those things.

Barry

We had been scheduled for two days in Christchurch. Instead, we are getting an extra day in Melbourne, Aus. (2 days instead of 1) and a day at Akaroa, NZ. We already had Wellington on the itinerary.

Yes it is legitimate. The Port of Lyttelton was badly damaged. I've read that cruise ships will not be docking there for the rest of the year.

At the moment there is northing on the Port of Lyttelton, which says that cruise ships will not be docking there for the rest of the year.

(I will also add the Wharf that cruise ships go to did not get much damaged, and is still in use), but a few of the other port buildings Wharfs did have/ do have get a bit of damaged

After the earthquake there was a message saying cruise ships will not be docking there, which I guess meant for the rest of the season (which is now over, and the next cruise ships season does not start till October), but no one yet know if other lines are going there.

I think an e-mail to the Port of Lyttelton is in order to find out what's happing, as this is the 2nd thread about cruise ships going to Lyttelton / Christchurch.

Akoroa looks to be a very scenic place - I think it is in a "drowned volcano crater" see here and you will still get to see Christchurch. Personally, I think that it would be nicer to tender into Akoroa instead of berthing at Port Lyttleton ( although I have not done it myself)

Also , your second day in Melbourne will be well rewarded - there is plenty to see and do in a city the size of Melbourne and it is a nice place

Barry

Barry is right. We have been to Akaroa twice. It is a beautiful little town - you can do a guided walk with a member of the Historical Society who will point out all things of interest and explain its settlement by French immigrants. Second time we did the Harbour tour and saw Hector Dolphins and a colony of seals. You can also swim with the dolphins - wetsuits provided. From there you can also do the Tranzalpine tour, which is very popular. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I just received notice today that Regent has cancelled its calls at Christchurch, NZ on the Voyager for 2012, citing a lack of tourism infrastructure post earthquake.

That's a shame that Regent is not going to Christchurch :( (The first cruise line to-do that), they could have gone to Akaroa......

Is this a legitimate decision from a pax perspective? Is Christchurch really that bad off that it's no longer worth visiting? Thanks.

Sort of, but I guess it’s up to the cruise line.....

To what I have heard and read, most of the tourism infrastructure is running (There was a thing on our news over here a few days ago about Tourism Canterbury saying how the number of visitors has dropped from the region and how they where putting out an ad saying the rest of Canterbury can be visited.

From the Official Christchurch Visitor Information website:

http://www.christchurchnz.com/plan-your-visit/christchurch-earthquake-update.aspx

“While some of the central business district is currently inaccessible, the remainder of the city and region are open for business”

Kiwi c, re what I mentioned above about the rest of the year. I think that was published when you were away, but I have seen nothing since. As you say, it's best to go straight to the source. :)

I think I saw that while I was away, but in my thoughts if that was the case, they would have keep that message up on one of there pages.

That really is a shame as Christchurch is trying so hard to keep tourism alive and well in their city. Even though the CBD has been so badly hit I am sure there are other trips from Lyttleton that could be done by cruisers.

They need all the help and encouragement they can get down there these days.

Skydancing, you can do them from Akaroa. Even when we were there at the beginning of March, they operated the Tranzalpine tour from Akaroa by bus to Christchurch Station, then train. The ship also operated a shuttle into Christchurch, but I would say that was probably for people visiting relatives at that time.

I have read somewhere that the punt and tram trip is now open for business. (That was one of the things I wanted to do - well.......next time! :rolleyes:)

The second earthquake damaged the sea bed under the Port of Lyttleton and all cruise ship visits are cancelled for 12 months for safety reasons.

They are enforcing the "force majuer" (sp) clause in all cruise ships calls.

As far as the City is concerned, they have been very quiet about the damage incurred in the CBD, but last night on TV , journalists got their first look into the Red Zone , and the official statements were released.

Over 900

repeat.....

900 buildings are earmarked for demolition.

Several high rise buildings , the biggest being the Chancellor Hotel,

must come down and they are deciding the best and safest way to do it all.

They said on the news that the buildings were designed to allow people to get out in such an event, but the damage inflicted , has been much more than they expected.

Meanwhile the rest of the City tries to carry on.

You are lucky to be going to Akaroa. Very pretty spot, and beautiful views if you can get into the surrounding hills. There is a mail run, private tour, from there that sounds like a good alternative. The day we docked at Lyttleton in January 2010, we hired a car and drove to Akaroa. I noticed that the tide was out, so am assuming this is a tidal port entry only. Perhaps this is why some cruises go there and others not. On this day, most of the inner bay was black mud, and the jetty inaccessible to boats coming in. Even so...great place. We are waiting to see where our 'Cch' stop sends us in Nov this year.

Jen

ChCh is still getting a few jolts, a 5.3 last Thursday - not good for any sort of tourism, cruise ships aside, bad for their economy. I feel sorry for our Kiwi friends.

You are lucky to be going to Akaroa. Very pretty spot, and beautiful views if you can get into the surrounding hills. There is a mail run, private tour, from there that sounds like a good alternative. The day we docked at Lyttleton in January 2010, we hired a car and drove to Akaroa. I noticed that the tide was out, so am assuming this is a tidal port entry only. Perhaps this is why some cruises go there and others not. On this day, most of the inner bay was black mud, and the jetty inaccessible to boats coming in. Even so...great place. We are waiting to see where our 'Cch' stop sends us in Nov this year.

Jen

Jen, our captain told us it was mostly very shallow, that is why they anchor so far from the jetty. We could see the mud/sand thrown up when the thrusters were in use. It appeared to be usual for a cruise ship to go to Akaroa if another cruise ship was berthed at Lyttelton.

Jen, our captain told us it was mostly very shallow, that is why they anchor so far from the jetty. We could see the mud/sand thrown up when the thrusters were in use. It appeared to be usual for a cruise ship to go to Akaroa if another cruise ship was berthed at Lyttelton.

Thanks for that info Sandielle. Good to know there is access every day. Will cross my fingers that we are going there to Akaroa....that way we can still pump some dollars into their 'needs'. The area must be suffering from lack of tourism. Atm Princess still lists Christchurch as the port, but doubt it will stay that way for this year.

Jen

David Regent IS going to Akaroa -just for one day and the other day that they would have been at Lyttleton will be in Melbourne.

Barry

Thanks Barry. As I mentioned in my last response, I knew that Akaroa had been added to our itinerary. What I didn't know then, but now know is that Akaroa is not far from Lyttleton and may afford us an opportunity to do some of the same excursions we might have had out of Christchurch. Sounds like a good alternative.

Just to update you from Christchurch, while we could really do with tourists at the moment, it is going to be a very long time before our infrastructure is back in place.

I visited the CBD last week as I was in it when the quake struck and wanted to see for myself what was now left. The entire CBD is cordoned off in what is referred to as the red zone so I could only go to the edge of the fencing. I was totally shocked!! What was once a thriving area is now quiet, nobody in sight and very eerie, there appears to be very little to salvage. Pavements are broken and torn up all over the city creating hazards everywhere. Arts centre and market shopping badly damaged and shut off. The roads around the area are bad incuding the eastern suburbs and Lyttelton, major traffic delays. Shopping malls on the east side have major damage and will not be reopening for some time so the west side is very busy. I even had to line up just to get into a supermarket recently so now head out of town to shop.

So, I do think the cruise ships are making the right decision, it is hard to envisage the scale of the destruction unless you are here plus the major aftershocks are causing havoc! Not just to our nerves but they have to evacuate buildings and recheck after each major one.

Enjoy Akaroa

You paint a grim picture of the CBD, kiwiatchch. It's hard for those of us who haven't been there to imagine it. Just awful. I've read that they will have to demolish it all. Sorry to hear you are still having major aftershocks.

Archived