Most interesting cabin "neighbors"

cruisenanny

Can't say we've had any unusual experiences with cabin neighbors. However, biggest pet peeve is neighbors who turn their balcony light on and then leave it on all week, even when they're not outside. I like to sit on the balcony in the dark before retiring to bed and watch the stars (see a lot of falling stars this way), the lights from passing ships or islands and listen to the sound of the ocean. It's very relaxing but very annoying with lights in your eyes. It's one thing if the folks are actually out on their balcony. Just wish they'd remember to cut the lights off after they go inside.

Why are nice people so intimidated when the other guy may not even be aware that he's being inconsiderate? Why not knock on their door, smile and say "Let's make a deal. If you turn off the lights in the evening, I'll not blast off my TV at 5 in the morning? OK?"

That's our biggest REPEAT problem......on each and every Carnival cruise. It's either above, below, left side or right......guaranteed to happen. Twice had more than one adjacent room slamming. (forget about getting a good nap when that happens! ).

Slam, slam, and then let's allow the door to slam again. Lower prices apparently influences enough lower CLASS vacationers. Motel 6 attitude, I guess.

Wondering if you get the same thing with lines like Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America.....which we've not tried .

Anybody .........is it there as well ?

I hardly consider myself "lower class" but I do forget about the vacuum strength of the wind tunnel between the balcony door and the cabin door so my door may get slamed shut. If it does I apologize before hand. If my light is on on my balcony, it's because I want it on, I pay my utility bills at home, I don't leave lights on for the hell of it. While you are stargazing, I may be reading (therefore no noise as I seldom read out loud to myself). I don't look around the edge to see what other people are doing, smoking, wearing, drinking, eating or who they are doing. My only concern while on vacation is my cabin and balcony. I surely hope you all enjoy your cabin and balcony too............ and if you are having a wee drink (or want one) yell over, I'm happy to share and enjoy my vacation with you! That is of course if you want to spend your time with my "lower class ass".

That's our biggest REPEAT problem......on each and every Carnival cruise. It's either above, below, left side or right......guaranteed to happen. Twice had more than one adjacent room slamming. (forget about getting a good nap when that happens! ).

Slam, slam, and then let's allow the door to slam again. Lower prices apparently influences enough lower CLASS vacationers. Motel 6 attitude, I guess.

Wondering if you get the same thing with lines like Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America.....which we've not tried .

I had a feeling someone would go there eventually. =(

No comment on the "lower class" reply. But having sailed on Celebrity many times you don't have as much door slamming but only because they have sliding glass doors. Much tougher to slam. Can't really slam them by accident.

enjoy,

Duane

For Heirloom's question. We've cruised most of the American port cruise lines. One of our worst balcony experiences was on a Princess cruise where the neighbors argued, cursed at each other and smoked cigars on the balcony each night, yet were very polite in the halls. I think you find a lot of similar folks on all cruise lines. I belong to a country club and there are plenty of rude, obnoxious, classless people with money too. I don't think rudeness in our society is an issue of class but of the me first attitude which is societally acceptable.

For Heirloom's question. We've cruised most of the American port cruise lines. One of our worst balcony experiences was on a Princess cruise where the neighbors argued, cursed at each other and smoked cigars on the balcony each night, yet were very polite in the halls. I think you find a lot of similar folks on all cruise lines. I belong to a country club and there are plenty of rude, obnoxious, classless people with money too. I don't think rudeness in our society is an issue of class but of the me first attitude which is societally acceptable.

I've had rudes on all cruiselines, I've had rudes dressed in tuxes and great people in jeans. Quit judging a book by its cover.;)

We have sailed CCL, RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, HAL & Princess, I personally do not think it's just a carnival thing. You can find this sort of thing on any cruiseline. Beyond that though, I would never dream of grouping people into classes. Just my opinion & not the kind of person I want to be, I cruise with other human beings, period.:):) Are my next two cruises on Carnival because of their lower prices?? You betcha!! I'll try to be quiet! Lol

What I was trying to say is that selfish, rude, me first behavior is not limited to a certain class of people but is in all levels of personal income. CCL is a great cruise line, in my opinion because on a CCL cruise folks from all walks of life may be on board. It's really what the US and Canada are all supposed to be about, equality.

We have sailed CCL, RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, HAL & Princess, I personally do not think it's just a carnival thing. You can find this sort of thing on any cruiseline. Beyond that though, I would never dream of grouping people into classes. Just my opinion & not the kind of person I want to be, I cruise with other human beings, period.:):) Are my next two cruises on Carnival because of their lower prices?? You betcha!! I'll try to be quiet! Lol

There'll be a party on my balcony where the object is to check to see if we're all human beans. Remember we can't have any fun while we're having the get together. ;)

I'm such a rotten, mean neighbour aren't I? Will I try to be quiet? Maybe. Can you join in? Definitely! Did I work all year for my vacation? Absolutely. Do I need to kick back and un-wind for a short period of time? You better believe it. Will you know I'm your next door neighbour? Probably not, because it's unlikely I will be having a party on my balcony all night. I may be out there, but chatting with friends or family and you may be on your balcony doing what ever you want to do, just know this I will never complain to you, or about you. I expect the same courtesy. We all want to enjoy our vacation, mine is not made by complaining.

Use to be only two necessities for a cruising vacations -- wine and a bag of M&Ms peanuts. I'm beginning to change my opinion on this. New rules: wine, bag of M&Ms peanuts, sleep mask and ear plugs. The last two items can be given to neighbours who have forgotten to pack their necessities for cruising.

Thanks, Craftykitty and Gran3, Hope we get cabins next to you all on a future cruise. Balcony get togethers would be a blast!

Oohhhhh! That could be dangerous! Could lead to talking, laughing, drinking, a slammed door. In short, could lead to FUN! Can't be having that!

We must act refined at all times. Wouldn't want to ruin the vacation of those who are better than us. Just wouldn't be right, as 'we' (the "lower class") shouldn't be on the cruise in the first place. Aw crap! I think I'll just stay home. :(

Just off the Pride last Sunday. One day we were on the balcony and heard screaming and yelling. A couple went out on their balcony and their three year old locked them out of the cabin! So we called guest services and they came round and called up to them verifying which cabin they were in. Then went and rescued them.

Just off the Pride last Sunday. One day we were on the balcony and heard screaming and yelling. A couple went out on their balcony and their three year old locked them out of the cabin! So we called guest services and they came round and called up to them verifying which cabin they were in. Then went and rescued them.

Oh my gosh!!:eek: Can you imagine? They are very lucky you were there & heard them, it could have been a long wait if no one around them was out on their balcony!! LOL

I did that once, but it wasn't on a cruise ship it was at the Luxor in Las Vegas. There was a group of college aged kids in the room next to ours. They were yelling and screaming in the hall and in their room until about 3am. At 6am I called their room; I called again at 6:15am; I called again at 6:30am. We checked out so it wasn't an issue but it sure made me feel better to give them a taste of their own medicine. :cool:

I thought what happens in Vegas is supposed to stay in Vegas?

This happened when we were on our Emerald Princess cruise, It wasn't neighbors though..... MY DH and I were both sleeping at 3 in the morning when i was wakened by the telephone ringing. I thought crap :confused: now what? I got up to answer the phone, it a voice on the other end tells me they are my neighbors and that I should let my husband in that he has been pounding on our door, I look over at the bed and there he is, still in bed. I think what the heck is she talking about,

;)I look out the peeky hole and there is this older gentleman standing out there in his tighty whiteys and dago t-shirt leafing through our mailbox and grabbing at the door handle, I go over to my husband and wake him up and tell him that there was some old guy trying to get into our cabin. He gets up and opens the door and looks out and sees him looking at our mail, Mike opens the door and asks what are you doing.

:pThe guys says that we are in his cabin and that we should get out and let him in, I go straight to the phone and call customer service and they sent security down, they ask him a couple of questions and finally find out where he really should be, so they must have taken him back to his cabin. We have seen him a few times and he always looked confused and seemed to be wandering around by himself when he shouldn't have been, we did run into him and he asked for directions the first day and he yelled at us that we were confusing him and that he is an engineer and that he doesn't need smart allecks confusing him like that.

:)So we were assuming alzheimers or something and if he does have that the wife should have been more aware of his presents instead of leaving him wander on his own.

This happened when we were on our Emerald Princess cruise, It wasn't neighbors though..... MY DH and I were both sleeping at 3 in the morning when i was wakened by the telephone ringing. I thought crap :confused: now what? I got up to answer the phone, it a voice on the other end tells me they are my neighbors and that I should let my husband in that he has been pounding on our door, I look over at the bed and there he is, still in bed. I think what the heck is she talking about,

;)I look out the peeky hole and there is this older gentleman standing out there in his tighty whiteys and dago t-shirt leafing through our mailbox and grabbing at the door handle, I go over to my husband and wake him up and tell him that there was some old guy trying to get into our cabin. He gets up and opens the door and looks out and sees him looking at our mail, Mike opens the door and asks what are you doing.

:pThe guys says that we are in his cabin and that we should get out and let him in, I go straight to the phone and call customer service and they sent security down, they ask him a couple of questions and finally find out where he really should be, so they must have taken him back to his cabin. We have seen him a few times and he always looked confused and seemed to be wandering around by himself when he shouldn't have been, we did run into him and he asked for directions the first day and he yelled at us that we were confusing him and that he is an engineer and that he doesn't need smart allecks confusing him like that.

:)So we were assuming alzheimers or something and if he does have that the wife should have been more aware of his presents instead of leaving him wander on his own.

Oh my!!:eek: Your story is in the top 10 here imo! lol Poor you & poor him too! Definately sounds like someone should have been taking better care of him..

SINCE YOU ASKED. It was about a year ago and my last balcony. The neighbors brought the party into their room the first night. They and their guest were whooping it up when we got back around 1 am. The partied most of the night but since it was the first night I didn't say or do anything. We got very little sleep and laughed it off the next day. The second night we came back about 11 and again the party was in high gear with lots of laughing and profanity. At midnight I called the room and asked them to keep it down..the guy hung up on me but it got quiet. I thought everything would be okay but the next night around 2 am, while we were sleeping they cam home, cranked up the TV to loud, banged around, talked loud, and when I pounded on the wall they pounded back. When I called the room someone picked up the phone and hung it up. Now I was p^$$#d. I put my shoes on, went next door and pounded, then kicked on the door. Of course the a$$h&!3 never opened it but some of the other people, hearing me shout at the closed door peeked into the hall. Someone called security about the nut wearing only undershorts and shoes kicking on a cabin door. By the time the two cops came I was back in my cabin but they knew where to go and warned me that any more trouble out of me and I would be put off at the next port.After hearing my side they went went next door and repeated the warning. The rest of the cruise was quiet and I even got time to work on a new project, on the balcony.

Archived