Princess increased auto tipping

mph045

You can always reduce it.15 day cruise in a mini for 2 will now cost $360.00 instead of $315.00. Its fine to say they deserve it but my income has been going DOWN the last 4 years, so its something to think about. Everyone wants you to pay more but unfortunately companies are doing their best to pay us less. Something has to give eventually.

the service will have to be excellent for me to pay this.

Given that salaries generally aren't being increased globally lately, isn't it great that Princess is setting a guideline so that their staff is fairly compensated?

Princess expects a lot from it's staff members and those expectations continue to increase. It's only fair that their livelihood be given some increase as well. As for the price of a cruise becoming more, for you and I, it's discretionary income that is used to buy a cruise. We don't have to go on one. I would suggest if something should "give" it should be the purchase of the cruise fare. The staff shouldn't be penalized if they are doing their job.

As for itinerary changes, I've always received an "Emergency" email from Princess whenever a cruise itinerary has changed, but according to their cruise contract, they can change an itinerary without notice anytime - so it's only an act of courtesy that they communicate the changes.

When you do the math, this is a very low "tip" percentage. I have no problem paying this rate for the service I consistently receive. As a matter of fact, after doing the math I think I'll leave a higher amount over and above the $12 pp per day.

Yes and no......

We used to get a pre-cruise package in the mail. During my first several cruises, I remember reading the pre-cruise docs several times from front to back to make sure I understood everything. These pre-cruise packages continued until around the time the emails started and then they were discontinued.

---------

On a different topic - AMA which is a popular river cruise company recommends 15 Euros (approx $22) per passenger per day for tips on their cruises. IMO - the Princess employees were far superior compared to those I encountered on AMA Waterways.

One thing I might add.........and I'm sure there will be those that disagree with me........yes, I believe "tipping" as we know it is nothing more than salary suplementation..........but............it is tradition........and goes back a long way. My first cruise was 1987 and we tipped........and we have continued to tip for the last 24 years.

So for those few of us left.........like myself:) that don't want a flow rider, ice rink, etc.......and long for the days of the old days of cruising........paying tips is a tradition......sadly I might add one of the few left in the world of cruising.

I just want to hold on to one of the few remaining bastions of cruising......no matter how they do it.......bill it, give envelopes......whatever.........it's one of the few traditions that still remain;)

We would read those docs too. I remember seeing my hubby actually taking a highlighter to a pre-cruise booklet once, more to find out what the current booze clauses were. :rolleyes: But I'm guessing that many people didn't.

Back in those days, we had a slower computer (dial up Internet too), so it was more convenient to have the printed material to read. Convenient even now, but I can understand the green reasons for cutting down on the mailings (even though their marketing brochures we get in the mail probably meant a loss of many trees).

For our previous cruise, we did get one or two pre-cruise emails, including one that said we could pre-book our excursions (turned out to be wrong). But I feel I got more info from the emails we got last November and December.

And I too, like to see some cruising traditions continue, even tho' in many ways, I'm not a traditional gal in general. We had anytime dining last December and didn't care for it at all. Both of us agree that traditional dining is a major way that cruise vacations are different from just going to a hotel someplace and going to various restaurants for meals.

A roughly 10% increase after how many years and people complain about paying it?

C'mon... one less drink on one night or one less hand of blackjack and you've got most of it back already!

Shalom from Tel Aviv (where the drop in the US dollar is killing us American retirees whose major source of income comes from the US in dollars - OUCH).. Andy

For me, it is more to do with the fact that I have not been informed of any increase, it was £10.50 when I booked and I would only have found out if when I check my account if it wasn't for Cruise Critic.

Very well said!

This level of tipping has been in place for many years, and a modest increase is not unreasonable. I still come back to what is "standard" on land - 18-20% of the bill for restaurant servers alone, and am always (why always?) shocked coming off a cruise and tipping a waitress at Chili's for a meal a significant portion compared of what we had tipped all the staff who kept us in comfort and luxury for a whole day.

The tip is part of cruising, and not undeserved for what we get.

I don't begrudge a decent wage for anyone. I do object to the way that this increase has been introduced quietly so that they can catch people out.

When you do the math, this is a very low "tip" percentage. I have no problem paying this rate for the service I consistently receive. As a matter of fact, after doing the math I think I'll leave a higher amount over and above the $12 pp per day.

Fine, good for you! I am all for personal choice, and I ams ure you will be happy for me to exercise my freedom of chopice as well!

If one can't afford the recommended tips, I am guessing one probably can't afford long cruises. As far as something has to give, my recommendation is to take shorter cruises as opposed to not paying the workers the recommended tip.

The cost of tipping is part of the cost of cruising.

I'm afraid you are guessing wrong! It isn't about what is affordable at all, it's about being open, up front, informing customers of what is going on and not hiding these things to catch the unwary.

Many people will be unaware of these rises until they receive their final account. I imagine most will pay it, some will not even notice, which is why companies think they can do what they like and get away with it.

Our daily auto tip for our mini was 11.00, so it hadn't changed yet.

We ate at the Bayou Cafe and there was a spot on the bill for a gratuity to be added. We are never sure if the cover charge is supposed to include the tip or not, so we left a tip-the waiter and the Bayou cafe manager went out of their way to make sure that we had a good experience including going through the menu item by item with me because of some food issues that I have.

BTW_it was an excellent cruise and the staff were great.

Our daily auto tip for our mini was 11.00, so it hadn't changed yet.

We ate at the Bayou Cafe and there was a spot on the bill for a gratuity to be added. We are never sure if the cover charge is supposed to include the tip or not, so we left a tip-the waiter and the Bayou cafe manager went out of their way to make sure that we had a good experience including going through the menu item by item with me because of some food issues that I have.

BTW_it was an excellent cruise and the staff were great.

It hasn't changed yet, I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread exactly when the new suggested amounts are introduced.

I bet if you read that Cruise Answer Book online that most people probably just click through on the Personalizer without reading, that the new amount is reflected there. It's certainly been updated on the website. It's a lousy dollar -- Princess should run a national ad compaign? Kill a stand of trees just to send everyone who's booked personal letters? How does your grocery store inform you every time they hike the price of a loaf of bread? Not every corporate action is taken with the goal of hoodwinking the customer, you know.

I bet if you read that Cruise Answer Book online that most people probably just click through on the Personalizer without reading, that the new amount is reflected there. It's certainly been updated on the website. It's a lousy dollar -- Princess should run a national ad compaign? Kill a stand of trees just to send everyone who's booked personal letters? How does your grocery store inform you every time they hike the price of a loaf of bread? Not every corporate action is taken with the goal of hoodwinking the customer, you know.

If a store increase the price of a loaf, you can try another store, and you can also see the price before you purchase.

I have had no emails, and there is nothing on the website. I have just checked again. Maybe this is because we are in the UK, I don't know, but I have received no notification at all from the cruise line.

How much will an email cost in terms of trees or dollars?

As it is only a suggested amount, I will have no qualms about explaining why I am reducing the amount to the suggested level pre May 22.

I am off to bed now, more important things to concern myself with, like beauty sleep!

If a store increase the price of a loaf, you can try another store, and you can also see the price before you purchase.

I have had no emails, and there is nothing on the website. I have just checked again. Maybe this is because we are in the UK, I don't know, but I have received no notification at all from the cruise line.

As it is only a suggested amount, I will have no qualms about explaining why I am reducing the amount to the suggested level pre May 22.

I am off to bed now, more important things to concern myself with, like beauty sleep!

Ok...you day it's not the money...but just the fact that you weren't personally notified of the change.

And your solution to this oversight is to penalize the very people that are supposed to get the increase? Yeah, that's the way to make your point!

I think your response might be slightly out of proportion. Consider another person's reaction to learning about the increase by seeing it on their folio...."oh look hon...i see the line implemented an increase in the tips to their staff...it's about time, hub? It hasn't been increased in such a long time."

Everyone I know has taken a paycut. As gov't workers, we lost as much as 15% with3 furlough days a month. We had to save a little longer if we wanted to vacation the same way.

We all need to be a little more flexible and forgiving when things don't happen the way we would have liked and not to overact over the small stuff. The older i get, the more items fall under the Small Stuff category. This is definitely one of them!!!

:confused: You could also go to another cruise line and see if the service levels are the same for what has been suggested you pay. Again, it's unfortunate that the staff will have to suffer because people feel that Princess has put them out personally when notification isn't instantaneous.

I have come to the conclusion that people will do what they want to do & use any available excuse to justify their actions. It is not logical that a passenger would penalize the staff because of a supposed "slight" by the cruise line - they were not notified of an increase in the auto gratuity. That leads me to believe that these passengers are looking for any excuse to either remove the gratuity or decrease it. They can perhaps justify, in their minds, their actions, blaming it on Princess. It's really sad that the only people to suffer by their actions will be the people who take such care of all of us onboard.

We looked at booking a Cunard TA cruise, and although the cabin cost and auto-tips were comparable, they also had a daily fuel surcharge. I feel better about giving the crew a little extra money than I do the oil barons. At least they work for it.

I have come to the conclusion that people will do what they want to do & use any available excuse to justify their actions. It is not logical that a passenger would penalize the staff because of a supposed "slight" by the cruise line - they were not notified of an increase in the auto gratuity. That leads me to believe that these passengers are looking for any excuse to either remove the gratuity or decrease it. They can perhaps justify, in their minds, their actions, blaming it on Princess. It's really sad that the only people to suffer by their actions will be the people who take such care of all of us onboard.

Very well said!

For me, it is more to do with the fact that I have not been informed of any increase, it was £10.50 when I booked and I would only have found out if when I check my account if it wasn't for Cruise Critic.

I don't begrudge a decent wage for anyone. I do object to the way that this increase has been introduced quietly so that they can catch people out.

We currently have 20 cruises booked on Princess over the next two years. 200 nights. We also did not receive notification of this change which will cost us an additional $400. However, there is no doubt in my mind that it was long overdue and I would never try to reduce it once on board. I would certainly cut back on my cruising before I did something that would negatively impact the people who made my vacation so enjoyable.

And isn't the autotip $10.50, not £10.50? Because if your tips are charged in US$ and then converted to £, you may be coming out ahead anyways, depending on the value of the US$ at the time of your cruise vs. at the time of your booking. The lady doth protest too much, methinks!

I have come to the conclusion that people will do what they want to do & use any available excuse to justify their actions.

I have no doubt that is the case here.

Clap, Clap, Clap...very well said.

Applause!

Very well said!

Toto and Miss Janet,

Concur 100%.

After 34 years in the Airforce I have learned to not let such trivial things bother me, so for the pittance the change is and in the wise words of some instructors and COs superior to me throughout my career:

SUCK IT UP AND LIVE WITH IT!!!

Ciao for now!!

Amen sister.

You can always reduce it.15 day cruise in a mini for 2 will now cost $360.00 instead of $315.00. Its fine to say they deserve it but my income has been going DOWN the last 4 years, so its something to think about. Everyone wants you to pay more but unfortunately companies are doing their best to pay us less. Something has to give eventually.

the service will have to be excellent for me to pay this.

I agree with you on this. I haven’t received a raise in three years and now I have been told that my salary has been caped. This would be fine if the price of gas, food, utilities and taxes were also caped. Since we can't afford to cruise this year because we lack disposable income I won't be paying it either.

I forsee more pax lining up at the Purser's office 'varying their contribution to the Automatic Wage Subsidy, for that is what the Auto Tipping System is, making up the wages of the service staff. Princess have more than likely given their service crew a pay rise, and guess what? Suprise - User pay ! US ! Why not Princess pay their staff a rise out of Carnival Corp profits? Instead of hitting their passengers?

The day has come when the tips should be added to the cruise fare, like Princess have done on Sun Princess and Dawn Princess, based in Australia. No auto tips now on those ships.

As we speak I have been over to Princess Site and it is being 'upgraded' probably going to include the automatic wage subsidy increase. Such is life, made round to go round.

Welcome to the world of the Aussie. Not only have we always paid more for our cruises as opposed to the Americans, we have always had to pay more at checkout. If your bill said $1,000 then a $1,000 it was.

But ours was $1,500, sometimes less, sometimes more but always way over the $1,000. For the first time in I don't know how long your dollar is not so good and ours has finally reached parity. We have been travelling for many years and always had to put up with this and paid as this was just a part of travelling and now after all these years it is your dollar that is not performing that well. When we buy a drink on our next cruise and they say $3.99 or whatever, that is extactly what we pay, not $7.00AUD, depending on the rate of exchange at the time, which up until last year was the norm. The same with Auto tips. We always leave it on but for the first time in our travelling life it will be what it says on the tin. $11.00. It will actually be cheaper for us to spend on board than all our previous trips/cruises. Can't wait:):):)

I'll drink to that. Good post. Advance Australia Fair !

So just think US$1 per day increase in Autotip is only about AU$93 cents. LOL, Hurrah !

The day has come when the tips should be added to the cruise fare, like Princess have done on Sun Princess and Dawn Princess, based in Australia. No auto tips now on those ships.

Not meaning to argue, but I don't understand - in the end, don't you pay the same whether the tip is added to the fare or added to your on board account? Doesn't auto tipping give you the option of removing the gratuity where adding it to the cruise fare does not?

While it's mildly annoying not to be informed by Princess - I do think they should inform booked passengers - this will add, what, $48 to our 12-day cruise for 4 passengers if $1 pp increase. Honestly, compared to the cost of the cruise, it's hardly worth fussing about.

If one can't afford the recommended tips, I am guessing one probably can't afford long cruises. As far as something has to give, my recommendation is to take shorter cruises as opposed to not paying the workers the recommended tip.

The cost of tipping is part of the cost of cruising.

You are so right!

Archived