Which cruise would like to do again ?

COLLEYBERRY

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Top of my list was the 14 day Christmas and New Year's cruise round trip from NYC on Noordam. It was wonderful!

That's an easy one! The 2009 Grand Voyage to Australia, New Zealand, and the South Pacific was amazing beyond words! The itinerary was incredible, and the weather was just about perfect, with just a little rain throughout the trip. Australia's indiginous animals and New Zealand's breathtaking beauty were not to be missed! We had never dreamed we'd get to the South Pacific islands, and the people there were about the friendliest we've ever encountered! They greet friends and strangers alike with a wave and a smile! (I asked a tour guide if he knew everyone on the island. "No," he replied, "that's just the way people are here!")

In addition, the people we met on the ship were wonderful! We so enjoyed getting to know our fellow travelers well, and we were also very pleased to get to know so many members of the crew!

That said, there are so many places in the world that I still want to visit, but I'd always welcome stops at the ports we visited on the GV!

A close second would be the Norwegian fjords. The scenery was beautiful, and the Norwegian people were very warm and friendly. We DID do that cruise a second time, with just a few different ports, and we thoroughly enjoyed it both times!

what is your most memorable cruise ?

Our most memorable is one I would not want to repeat, but it was our best cruise ever.

Our cruise on the Westerdam a few years ago was a soothing and healing one, after a deep personal loss. We talked for hours on our veranda while looking out to sea, we enjoyed abundant sunshine in winter, and took advantage of our week long pass in the spa. The tile loungers were perfection to truly relax...I will never, ever forget hearing that calming ambient music, water trickling over rocks, and the warmth enveloping my body on those wonderful tile loungers.

Staff was so friendly yet unobtrusive. We were able to have a table for two and enjoy leisurely meals. It really was a week of escape and regrouping, it was just what we needed at a difficult time.

We are repeating both of our favorite cruises in 2012.

Hawaii roundtrip from the left coast for the third time.

Panama Canal full transit again, which is our favorite for the second time.

Why? The sea days and then the people we meet while ashore. We love to go off the beaten path (as much as possible) and check out the food scene that the locals visit.

The engineering of the Panama Canal just amazes us. We'll go back again in 2014 to see the new locks in operation.

Oh....did we mention the sea days?

I loved our Mexican Riviera cruise in 2008(and it was convenient for us-my parents and I live in San Diego.)

Our Mexican Riviera was one cruise DH and I both said we were never repeat. Too hot and ports not as interesting as I thought it would be.

My all time favorite cruise was the Baltics!!! Then the western and eastern med. Then Burmuda and Alaska.

I've been pondering what will do next now that we have 2 open ended cruise deposts.

I look forward to being on the 2012 World Voyage of the ms Amsterdam, and a lot of truth is in the saying that the "next" voyage is the best. But . . . nothing ever will supplant the sheer grandeur and the drama of the 2008 Farewell World Cruise of Cunard's marvelous QE2. Every port brought forth masses of people lining the docks and entrances to harbors as we entered and left, and the magnificent horn on the QE2 can't be believed until it is heard saluting and responding to salutes. One of the Captains was Ian MacNaught, now retired from Cunard.

Another favorite was my first voyage -- in 1969 on the glorious ss France with Jane Fonda and Roger Vadim!

We did the Mexican Riviera cruise in January and it wasn't hot at all. The Caribbean was warm, but not unbearable, and given that the weather back home (in California!) was bad the whole time we were on the cruise, I was grateful for it!

I've cruised in most parts of the world but the one I would repeat in a heartbeat was the South American and Antarctic cruise on the Veendam this past January. Superb weather, varied ports of call from Buenos Aires to the pristine environment of Antarctica, great wildlife and a very active roll call!

:) we did the voyage of the vikings about 5 years ago & loved it so much that we will be doing it again in 2012. The itineraries are slightly different but going back to norway which hadn't been done the last coup[le of years

We liked "Northern Strongholds" on the Rotterdam, which was one of these one-time only itineraries between main seasonal routes:

Start: Rotterdam-Newcastle- Endinbrough -Goteburg - Oslo -Stockholm (overnight)-Keil/Lubek -Gdansk - Bornholm Island (DK) - Copenhagen: End

One I wish they would do again is the WWII Pacific Island cruise.

My favorite cruise for the ports/scenery was from Santiago, Chile to Antarctica and then on to Rio. We had great weather and met some really nice people, with whom I still stay in contact - Jan. 03.

My favorite cruise for enjoying the people with whom we dined and others aboard that we got to know was from Osaka to HongKong in Spring 06.

YiaYia

We would love to do the 42 day South America and Antarctic over Christmas and New Years once again. This was about as perfect a cruise as we have ever sailed. We received our Silver Medallions on this one and celebrated a nice birthday, too. Christmas day in the Antarctic with a champagne glass of eggnog on deck watching pengins breaching was the ultimate cruise experience for us.

There are two that I would book again in a heartbeat.

The WWII historic cruise on the Volendam from Aukland to Kobi. It was beautiful, emotional and having many vets on board made it very special.

The circumnavigation of Australia last year on the Volendam was very special too. We had lots of Aussies on board which made the cruise lots of fun. Wine, exotic animals and snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef plus sailing from and into Sydney harbor was awesome.

A different perspective:

My first cruise, when everything was new and magical, and everyday was filled with delighful surprises in service, food, activities and experiences. It was in 1997, before the cost cutting, on the (old) Noordam. I wonder if today's first-time cruisers have the same experience?

At the same time, my next cruise, which will take me to new places and bring me together with people I would never have otherwise met.

And always, any cruise that brings me together with my little family (2 adult, unmarried sons and me).

I would enjoy the circle of the British Isles we made on the Prinsendam several years ago. I've not seen the exact itinerary since. Visited some unique and lovely ports, including the Shetland Islands and Isle of Mann.

I've loved them all. But, if I had to choose, I would definitely do the partial Panama Canal Cruise again. The people we were with (from CC) were wonderful. There were so many things we didn't do that we wanted to do...

Cruise to repeat - if I could would be our cruise to South Georgia and Antarctica on a 100 passenger expedition ship. Over the top experiences at every landing (over 24 of them). However, aging precludes the interesting but often challenging transfers from ship to zodiac and some zodiac to rocky beach landings and then getting back onto the ship. However, the experience was tops for me.

For me considering the above, my favorite to repeat would be the 60+ day Asia-South Pacific cruise HAL offers each fall. I have taken it twice and would gladly go again and plan to do so in a few years, but I have a few other "new to me" ones to do first.

HOBBSEY - I too have fond memories of my first cruise, on the Mariposa in 1963 from Hawaii to LA. No ports but a lot of fun with the other young people on board. Best shipboard parties I have experienced, we made our own.

There are some ports that I'd like to visit again, but I don't know that I'd like to do the exact same cruise or itinerary again. I'd love to sail again with our tablemates from the Brilliance cruise in 2005.

My husband would like to do our Galapagos cruise again but sail in April instead of September. September is one of the dry months so there isn't much blooming but it is also "baby" season so we saw plenty of young animals. April is the rainy season so there would be more blooming but less youngsters around.

HOBBSEY - I too have fond memories of my first cruise, on the Mariposa in 1963 from Hawaii to LA. No ports but a lot of fun with the other young people on board. Best shipboard parties I have experienced, we made our own.[/QUOTE]

Parties on Mariposa, oh, absolutely, in and out of he cabin!! My brother and I had our own inside, so ours tended to be the spot for gathering. There was a small cadre of youngsters, maybe 8 to 12 or us. We had a blast. My other favorite memory of that one was of being one of the first up on deck to steam into under the Golden Gate. I spotted her first in the early morning haze and missed breakfast for the whole approach and docking.

[quote name='Hobbsey']HOBBSEY - I too have fond memories of my first cruise, on the Mariposa in 1963 from Hawaii to LA. No ports but a lot of fun with the other young people on board. Best shipboard parties I have experienced, we made our own.[/quote]

Parties on Mariposa, oh, absolutely, in and out of he cabin!! My brother and I had our own inside, so ours tended to be the spot for gathering. There was a small cadre of youngsters, maybe 8 to 12 or us. We had a blast. My other favorite memory of that one was of being one of the first up on deck to steam into under the Golden Gate. I spotted her first in the early morning haze and missed breakfast for the whole approach and docking.[/quote]

i wish i could've sailed on the mariposa. i read an amusing book - [U]nothing can go wrong[/U] - by one if its former captains, john kilpack. it was a very good read.

Archived