Celebrity Gratuities

Miss UK

I'm British. I like to find out the cultural 'rules' about tipping when I travel. Sometimes in the US I think I get poor service because they think I won't tip...they get a small tip, perhaps a dollar, so they know that I am aware of the custom of tipping for good service and that I didn't rate their idea of customer service. Mostly service is great, and then I tip at least 15%. Maybe I need a T shirt saying 'I'm British but I know how much to tip'.

Because I am used to the 'way we do things here' I like the idea of paying a decent wage and then dealing with service quality. It would be more convenient for me if the price quoted always included service charges, but I can add them in myself, it's not rocket science.

I don't want to make service staff suffer because I would like a different business model - so I pre-pay 'gratuities' and consider that by doing that, I have done my bit towards paying staff a living wage. Then, if service were to be poor, I would speak to a supervisor (it never has been, maybe I'm lucky) and when service exceeds my expectations, I put some cash in the envelopes at the end as well. I would like to think those envelopes didn't get pooled, but if they do, well, more people will benefit.

I have met several service staff who haven't seen their families for years, they work long hours and the money they earn is worth an awful lot back home. I don't begrudge a penny - it's usually not a large proportion of the total cost of my holiday.

Okay. Let me preface this by saying that I am an American and that I have always tipped the "suggested" amount when on-board any cruise ship.

The issue I have with this whole thread is the ongoing idea that we, as the passengers, are somehow responsible for donating to the "charity" of the poor crew who don't make as much money as they should.

IMO it is none of my business what-so-ever how much money Celebrity (or any other line) pays their crew. I don't want to know.

Anyone in a service-based job position, whether on a ship or on land, bases a large part of their income on tips. And, whether it is referred to as a "gratuity" or a "service charge", both are basically a monetary reward for doing their job. If they do it well, then most people would agree that they deserve a little more monetary reward.

I guess in the end it's just semantics, but I do not give anyone any money because I feel like they "need" it. I actually find it slightly offensive that so many people feel that they must tip because their server is poor, not because he/she did a good job.

Okay, sorry. Rant over. :o

I think my question got lost in the 'melee' ;). Does anyone know(for a fact) if at the end of the cruise I choose to pay someone an extra tip(cash), for instance the room steward, does he have to split it with others?

I have been told no...but that is by the person who I gave the extra

$$$ to.....I have had some wonderful cabin attendants and I normally

give them something extra. Now, I have made it clear to them, it is

"only for them" but of course after I have disembarked I do not first hand

if they had to hand any of that money to someone else.

No, not really, when you understand the system.

I see that you probably book in UK .. As per in some other countries (including mine), where International ships sail, the lines automatically add this charge.. (Its really the major part of service staff wages)... Either its tips/service fees/service charges /Daily DSC or call it something else, whatever you want...

UK based ships will generally have it built in the fare, so there is no issue. However, if the ship is sailing the world, things are different..

If you have a service issue with any service, (or particularly those that work for "tips"), go to the desk and they will guarantee to correct the problem.. No need to try reducing the crew member pay by yourself... The cruiseline will take action for you.. If they dont, thats when you should jump up and down!!!!

Hope this helps..

Phil

Phil, your response to the OP is one of the most reasonable & informative I have seen on the subject of tipping. All to often we see responses from seasoned travellers that "shout/scream" at the poor unwitting new folk.

Please jump in again whenever you see a tipping query so the thread can be nipped in the bud in a reasonable manner and not dragged on and on and on and on. Well done!:)

• 9 months later...

The problem here appears to be the difference between US cruise lines and British cruise lines. Most people probably do not know which is a US cruise line and which is British. P&O are owned by Carnival so in fact can be classed as US. Tips should be worked out on where the cruise line leaves from not the nationality. In other words cruises leaving from the UK should have one type of tipping and cruises from the US another.

Somebody in this thread congratulated Celebrity for making the price of drinks inclusive from Southampton. You should be congratulating the British government who made this obligatory.

Also how are the tips divided? On our last Celebrity trip in December we were in concierge class and were supposed to have a specific guest relations person to look after concierge. We only went to guest relations about three times during the trip. The first time there was no specific guest relations person for concierge. The second time the same, so we complained. Finally the supervisor came over and screamed at us for complaining and said that the person was very sick and would not be working during this cruise. We are sorry that he was sick but assume since we prepaid our tips (and you pay extra for concierge) that he still received tips. Also the dining room was extremely disorganized, because of the hours they work some of the waiters seemed to be half asleep and a number did not understand English. Also although we had a set time for dining, during our six night cruise we sat at three different tables and had a different waiter every night.

Additionally how do we know who actually receives the tips? We used to pay tips in restaurants in the US by credit card until we found out they were divided equally between everybody including the restaurant owner/manager (who I presume is better paid than his staff).

• 2 weeks later...
The problem here appears to be the difference between US cruise lines and British cruise lines. Most people probably do not know which is a US cruise line and which is British. P&O are owned by Carnival so in fact can be classed as US. Tips should be worked out on where the cruise line leaves from not the nationality. In other words cruises leaving from the UK should have one type of tipping and cruises from the US another.

Somebody in this thread congratulated Celebrity for making the price of drinks inclusive from Southampton. You should be congratulating the British government who made this obligatory.

Also how are the tips divided? On our last Celebrity trip in December we were in concierge class and were supposed to have a specific guest relations person to look after concierge. We only went to guest relations about three times during the trip. The first time there was no specific guest relations person for concierge. The second time the same, so we complained. Finally the supervisor came over and screamed at us for complaining and said that the person was very sick and would not be working during this cruise. We are sorry that he was sick but assume since we prepaid our tips (and you pay extra for concierge) that he still received tips. Also the dining room was extremely disorganized, because of the hours they work some of the waiters seemed to be half asleep and a number did not understand English. Also although we had a set time for dining, during our six night cruise we sat at three different tables and had a different waiter every night.

Additionally how do we know who actually receives the tips? We used to pay tips in restaurants in the US by credit card until we found out they were divided equally between everybody including the restaurant owner/manager (who I presume is better paid than his staff).

Hi

As somebody new to cruising and a Brit these posts have been so useful. It appears to be definately a Culture thing, but having read everything, I now get it and will be pre paying the gratuities. Can I just ask, is a tip added to every round of drinks we may ask for ( I havent bought a drinks package) or do we voluntarily give the tip as we get our drinks? Also on Celebrity what currency should we use for tipping? Should I bring on lots of pound coins, US Dollars or Euros specifically for the extra tips?

I think it is a damn cheek a cruise line telling you how much you should tip & automatically charging it to your on board account! You can ask to have it removed & that is what we will do.

I think $11.50 a day is far too much.

I wish cruise lines would include the tips in the price of the cruise, I believe a few do.

jenpet

I also wish the cruiselines would include the tips in the price of the cruise so that the crew do not get stiffed from people who think that $11.50 a days is too much.

Our Tips were included in the price we paid for our cruise on the Century so did not have the worry of tipping which we don't generally do in NZ. We were told the staff knew we had pre paid our tips-hope this was correct.

Hi

As somebody new to cruising and a Brit these posts have been so useful. It appears to be definately a Culture thing, but having read everything, I now get it and will be pre paying the gratuities. Can I just ask, is a tip added to every round of drinks we may ask for ( I havent bought a drinks package) or do we voluntarily give the tip as we get our drinks? Also on Celebrity what currency should we use for tipping? Should I bring on lots of pound coins, US Dollars or Euros specifically for the extra tips?

Yes, gratuities are included when you sign for your drinks. There is nothing to stop you adding extra, I tend to hand my favourite bar staff an envelope at the end of the cruise though. I used whatever currency is valid wherever we are cruising, they can then use it on shore for Internet use, toiletries etc.

Some folks would say that by adding a tip onto each drink improves the service they receive, I would say that the service generally cannot be beaten! The measures are so generous too

............Also how are the tips divided? On our last Celebrity trip in December we were in concierge class and were supposed to have a specific guest relations person to look after concierge. We only went to guest relations about three times during the trip. The first time there was no specific guest relations person for concierge. The second time the same, so we complained. Finally the supervisor came over and screamed at us for complaining and said that the person was very sick and would not be working during this cruise. We are sorry that he was sick but assume since we prepaid our tips (and you pay extra for concierge) that he still received tips.
Guess I'll jump in here since I am surprised that nobody else has yet addressed the apparent confusion about this issue.

The term "concierge class" used by Celebrity refers to a stateroom category, not a person.

The ship's concierge is a person who offers concierge services for everyone on the ship, not only for concierge class passengers.

The extra tip you are charged for booking concierge class is an additional 50 cents per day for stateroom service, not for the ship's concierge (the person stationed near Guest Relations).

I wish that Celebrity had named Concierge Class something else to avoid this confusion.

As for when to tip or how much to tip, regardless of one's nationality or whatever customs one observes back home, I believe in following the old saying, When In Rome..............

I think it is a damn cheek a cruise line telling you how much you should tip & automatically charging it to your on board account! You can ask to have it removed & that is what we will do.

I think $11.50 a day is far too much.

I wish cruise lines would include the tips in the price of the cruise, I believe a few do.

jenpet

Sounds to me like you should try doing what the crew does for a day, see if $11.50 is too much then. :eek: What you really deserve would be to have someone like me be your attendant, I'll guarantee by the end of the week, either you'd jump off the ship or I'd toss you off.

Really, you should be banned from cruising if you believe $11.50 a day is too much for folks that are servicing you and making sure your needs and wants are addressed promptly and professionally. And the $11.50 a day is split amongst a bunch of workers. Your paying thousands for a vacation and you begrudge the people that make it so enjoyable a living wage, shame on you.:o

And automatic grats and pre-paid grats have proven not to reduce the level of services received. If a crew member doesn't pull their weight, they are terminated, they are constantly graded and evaluated and must meet standards or they are shipped out.

My opinion is that those that choose to have the tips removed are the cheapskates and everyone would be better off without them anyway. For the crew that you get closer to than others, we always take extra care of them at the end of the cruise. Usually, room stewards, wait staff, bartenders, etc.

I've experienced all of the above. Recently, most cruises are tips prepaid or included. Years ago, individual tips at the end of the cruise were the norm. It was especially nice to see somebody smile when you handed them an envelope. Hearing somebody say "thank you." is a plus for me. It seldom happens now. I find the prepay tips convenient. It's often less than I would have tipped. I also find service on Celebrity not as good when you prepay the tips. Maybe, it isn't the tips. It's just the way it is now. Cabin stewards have a lot more cabins to attend to...and are not as prompt as years ago. As a comparison, on Azamara where tips are included in the fare, the service is excellent. I just booked an X cruise that includes the tips not OBC. I'd prefer the OBC and decide what the tips should be. Great service does deserve great tips. Bad service ( and it does happen) doesn't deserve the automatic tip. TIP means To Insure Prompt Service. We can only hope for the best. It would make it much easier if Celebrity would follow Azamara model of no tips. Then again, Azamara does cost more...and is worth it! The service is outstanding. I have offered my butler extra tips for outstanding service. On a few occasions, the butler just smiled and refused the tips. By comparison, butlers on X often are hard to find. I guess that makes the difference in the fare worth it.

... TIP means To Insure Prompt Service..

Often quoted, but incorrect. It is a mis-use of an old european word "tep" our "teppen" from the 1700s which meant to hit, but not in a violent way. Tipping originated in europe but as we know has declined in common custom there.

It was adopted by foreign travellers who thought it sophisticated behaviour to demonstrate their status and wealth over those in service and imported it to north america on their return.

If it were am acronym it would be "to ensure...."

Acronyms were not used until the early 1920s, so have nothing in common with the origin.

That said, on ship it is the way things are done. In port you must be sensitive to local customs if possible.

Okay. Let me preface this by saying that I am an American and that I have always tipped the "suggested" amount when on-board any cruise ship.

The issue I have with this whole thread is the ongoing idea that we, as the passengers, are somehow responsible for donating to the "charity" of the poor crew who don't make as much money as they should.

IMO it is none of my business what-so-ever how much money Celebrity (or any other line) pays their crew. I don't want to know.

Anyone in a service-based job position, whether on a ship or on land, bases a large part of their income on tips. And, whether it is referred to as a "gratuity" or a "service charge", both are basically a monetary reward for doing their job. If they do it well, then most people would agree that they deserve a little more monetary reward.

I guess in the end it's just semantics, but I do not give anyone any money because I feel like they "need" it. I actually find it slightly offensive that so many people feel that they must tip because their server is poor, not because he/she did a good job.

Okay, sorry. Rant over. :o

The true underbelly of these threads. Well said.

If anyone feels their service wasn't up to the "suggested' daily amount you need only go to the customer relations desk and reduce or eliminate it to desired level. You have it adjusted to any amount you wish. It's a personal choice. I suggest you wait till the end of a cruise before making any decisions.

Hi, just a question..

Celebrity automatically adds gratuities for your restaurant and cabin services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis at $11.50 per person, per day, if you're in a standard cabin; would it be acceptable to ask them not to do this when you check-in and say at the end of your cruise you will give tips in envelopes to the staff who you think deserve it?

Thank you.

Not in my opinion.

What's the difference between pre-paying tips and just having them added to your OBA? Until I began to read these boards, I didn't even know pre-paying was an option; I was just told that the tips would be added to your account.

Is there a benefit to either side (other than budgeting ease) to pre-paying the tips?

Hi

Also on Celebrity what currency should we use for tipping? Should I bring on lots of pound coins, US Dollars or Euros specifically for the extra tips?

Generally tips are given in US Dollars which is the currency used on board and which I believe is easiest for the crew. If you're cruising on a ship in the Med for the season, they would probably find it easy to use Euros as well. Unfortunately, Celebrity doesn't cruise in Great Britain enough for the crew to easily be able to use pounds.

What's the difference between pre-paying tips and just having them added to your OBA? Until I began to read these boards, I didn't even know pre-paying was an option; I was just told that the tips would be added to your account.

Is there a benefit to either side (other than budgeting ease) to pre-paying the tips?

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. :D That's what we're here for--we were all new cruisers once.

There really isn't much difference, so just do what works best for you. I like to have the tips charged to my on board account because I always have some OBC (on board credit) that I can use to pay them. If you don't have any OBC, it makes absolutely no difference.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hello, the difference is pre-paying is paying for them when you

pay for the cruise...before you ever sail.

OBA is paying for them as your cruise goes along~they are added

to your account each day.

Benefits or not? Depends on the person I suppose.

when service exceeds my expectations, I put some cash in the envelopes at the end as well. I would like to think those envelopes didn't get pooled, but if they do, well, more people will benefit.

If you leave the gratuities which are charged to your account in place, any extra money you give to your waiter or cabin steward or anyone else may be kept by that person. The only exception would be your cabin steward who is supposed to share a portion of his/her tips with the assistant steward. We take that into account when giving extra tips, many times leaving a separate tip for the assistant who has been particularly helpful.

P.S. Love your screen name!

Archived