All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

Your marbles are correct. We moved to FL last year! Glad to hear you made it through okay. Devastation was well...devastating.

To put it mildly! :(

Are you near the cruise ports in FL? When we disembarked Explorer today, I was listening of people's travel plans to get back to England, Scotland, Mexico....at that point I was VERY happy to have only an hour's drive home lol.

To put it mildly!

Are you near the cruise ports in FL? When we disembarked Explorer today, I was listening of people's travel plans to get back to England, Scotland, Mexico....at that point I was VERY happy to have only an hour's drive home lol.

:)Hi Christie, how are you and your Family ?

Glad you are ok,my brother in law in TR had some damage.

How was your cruise ? Did you know that Terri was on the Explorer with

Sandy.I guess the week before yours.Her cousin lost her car due to damage at the pier.

We will be back on in March.

Happy Thanksgiving,

:DTom

To put it mildly! :(

We're closest to Tampa. We actually live about midway between Tampa and my other favorite place...Disney. The east coast ports are probably 4.5-5 hours away.

We're booked on Explorer in April. Move to FL, sail from NJ? What's wrong with me? Lmao

I'd suggest sending me a friend request, but not sure how,to do that here without putting my full name there...

Angel, I thought that was you! Am I mistaken, or didn't you used to be from NJ? Or am I losing my marbles, once again?? lol :p

We personally made it ok through the storm, however our town is demolished. :(

It was nice to get on Explorer on the 4th and escape the craziness around here. It was a perfect vacation! :)

Glad you are ok. Been worried but I forgot you were going on the ship.

Hey Tom!!! Long time!!! Our home didn't have any damage, thank goodness. But from what I recall, your family was a bit closer to the water than we are. Yes I know Terri got caught in yet ANOTHER hurricane onboard Explorer! :eek: we got on the day she got off....her and Liz. I would love to get our 2007 Royal Explorers together again!!

We're closest to Tampa. We actually live about midway between Tampa and my other favorite place...Disney. The east coast ports are probably 4.5-5 hours away.

We're booked on Explorer in April. Move to FL, sail from NJ? What's wrong with me? Lmao

I'd suggest sending me a friend request, but not sure how,to do that here without putting my full name there...

That is funny, that you're coming all the way up here to sail back down again! lol will you be visiting prop,e while you're up here?

Hmm maybe send me a PM on DIS. I'm Jerseylicious on there. MIND YOU, I had my screen name YEARS before that show came on! :p

Glad you are ok. Been worried but I forgot you were going on the ship.

Hi Cris!!! Yes we re fine, thank you. This cruise came at a GREAT time...I miss it already. I just love Explorer so much, knowing every inch of the ship really makes for a relaxing vacation!

• 1 month later...
I hear there are new menus? Is this something that is fleet wide and, if so, does anyone have pics to share of them?

here's a link to the menus (http://s654.beta.photobucket.com/user/clamett/library/?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_click#/user/clamett/library/?albumview=slideshow&track=share_email_album_view_click&_suid=135656105960102940664009676597)

they have been on explorer since 10/14. You can search the RCCL forum (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83) for other info, some pictures, etc.

Steve

I hear there are new menus? Is this something that is fleet wide and, if so, does anyone have pics to share of them?

The menus are being rolled out fleetwide, but are not on all ships yet. Here's a list of the rollout dates:

* FR - 08/19/2012

* OA - 09/01/2012

* AL - 09/16/2012

* JW - 09/30/2012

* EN - 10/04/2012

* EX - 10/14/2012

* MJ - 10/19/2012

* BR - 11/12/2012

* LB - 11/15/2012

* AD - 11/18/2012

* ID - 01/13/2013

* MA - 02/17/2013

* NV - 02/02/2013

* GR - 03/01/2013

* VI - 03/08/2013

* SR - 05/12/2013

* RD - 05/24/2013

* RH - 05/31/2013

* LG - TBA

* SP - TBA

* VY - TBA

* MN - N/A (leaving the fleet on 04/01/13)

Does anyone know which menus are served on which night on the 7 night Bahamas Explorer cruise? I am trying to figure out what the menu is the night we're in Port Canaveral to try and decide whether to eat somewhere off the ship. We might be driving to Disney and would consider eating someplace night like California Grill, which we haven't been to in a long time, but don't want to miss one of the ship's menus that looked interesting. With the terrible timings they have in the ports, it almost pays to find somewhere to have dinner since otherwise the time in port is wasted.

We're on the 1/6 sailing (never added a countdown clock signature)

Edited by MisterBill99

On the topic of food, we're doing the 6nt Bermuda in April with two overnights in Bermuda. Any guesses as to how many formal nights and what nights they might be? I'd guess the 2nd night because its a sea day and maybe the night we leave Bermuda? Want to try to book the specialty restaurants but don't want to end up there on formal night, because we aren't planning on bringing formal clothes.

Also, I'm sure it's been addressed ad nauseum, but best/cheapest way from EWR to port is what? Shuttle? Cab? We're landing around 10:30 day of sailing,

On the topic of food, we're doing the 6nt Bermuda in April with two overnights in Bermuda. Any guesses as to how many formal nights and what nights they might be? I'd guess the 2nd night because its a sea day and maybe the night we leave Bermuda? Want to try to book the specialty restaurants but don't want to end up there on formal night, because we aren't planning on bringing formal clothes.

Also, I'm sure it's been addressed ad nauseum, but best/cheapest way from EWR to port is what? Shuttle? Cab? We're landing around 10:30 day of sailing,

expect to pay around 50 bucks...you can cab it (give or take 5 bucks plus tip) or book a shuttle such as Independent Driver (that's the name of the company, no website, no frills-book 4-6 weeks out, lots of CCers and friends of mine have used them...)

Independent Driver LLC 888-816-0973, ext 0 -

landing at 10:30 i would likely just grab a cab and go....you should be on your way within the hour, and at the pier by noon...depending on traffic...it isn't far, but with construction, accidents and traffic...:eek:

as for formal nights, the 2nd night of the cruise, and likely the night you leave bermuda.....

expect to pay around 50 bucks...you can cab it (give or take 5 bucks plus tip) or book a shuttle such as Independent Driver (that's the name of the company, no website, no frills-book 4-6 weeks out, lots of CCers and friends of mine have used them...)

landing at 10:30 i would likely just grab a cab and go....you should be on your way within the hour, and at the pier by noon...depending on traffic...it isn't far, but with construction, accidents and traffic...:eek:

The problem with a cab at that time is that you'll probably still hit traffic from people disembarking. And if you're in a taxi, you'll pay wait time while you sit in traffic. We used Independent Driver when we stayed at the at EWR overnight before our cruise last year. They were very nice, and it was a flat rate so no extra charges while we sat in traffic. The driver told me stories about people who ditch their cabs when they hit the traffic and walk along the side of the road to get to the terminal. And we called them when we arrived and they were waiting for us at the pickup area.

I'm not sure how much RCI charges for transfers, but that is another option, but you will probably have to wait at the airport once you arrive since it will be early.

as for formal nights, the 2nd night of the cruise, and likely the night you leave bermuda.....

Ok, I'm going to write that down this time!

Having lived in NJ up til last year and having driven to the port last year, it really seems strange having to figure it out flying into Newark!

Thanks!!

I want to look into reserving a cabana once I board (the website keeps telling me they are available then when I submit the request, it says to check once on board). Can someone tell me where on board the excursions desk would be, and what deck we board? Have never been on this ship. Many thanks in advance.

Has anyone done the swimming with the turtles excursion?

We did a private booking with the Fury.

It was a great excursion, got to do some sailing, did the snorkeling, saw lots of turtles, reefs and other sea life.

Does anyone know which menus are served on which night on the 7 night Bahamas Explorer cruise? I am trying to figure out what the menu is the night we're in Port Canaveral to try and decide whether to eat somewhere off the ship. We might be driving to Disney and would consider eating someplace night like California Grill, which we haven't been to in a long time, but don't want to miss one of the ship's menus that looked interesting. With the terrible timings they have in the ports, it almost pays to find somewhere to have dinner since otherwise the time in port is wasted.

We're on the 1/6 sailing (never added a countdown clock signature)

I don't have the answer but glad you asked. I was also looking for the sequence of menus on the 7 night Bahamas cruise. We're doing the Feb 17th week. Some late nights in port so could be a reason to visit a local restaurant. Also want to book the specialty restaurant on Explorer one night.

Edited by stevesaunders

I want to look into reserving a cabana once I board (the website keeps telling me they are available then when I submit the request, it says to check once on board). Can someone tell me where on board the excursions desk would be, and what deck we board? Have never been on this ship. Many thanks in advance.

I hear they are lovely. Expensive but lovely. If you don't get one, here's a tip. Go early! And go to the last beach all the way to the right! We got chairs righ on the beach, a few hours later, people couldn't find a spot. The water there is wonderful!

There is actually decent shopping there. You can't Hard Rock t-shirts for $7.

We were toying with the idea of booking Chops one night, and then I noticed Chops isn't on Explorer. Guess they removed it or I got my ships confused. I remember reading awhile back the the steaks in Portofino were actually better than those in Chops. Can anyone confirm or deny that, or was I hallucinating that too?

We were toying with the idea of booking Chops one night, and then I noticed Chops isn't on Explorer. Guess they removed it or I got my ships confused. I remember reading awhile back the the steaks in Portofino were actually better than those in Chops. Can anyone confirm or deny that, or was I hallucinating that too?

One of our table mates went to Portofino's on the Explorer and said it was very good. Beef anywhere on the ship was less than good. Although the tenderloin was good.

I had salmon at least 4 nights. It was very good! NOT farmed.