*** The ALL NEW RCI Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

Does that mean we'll have to listen to the "It's a Small World" ship horn? :eek:

When I lived near Disneyland in California, I would have to take people from our home office in England to tour the park which would be several times a year. I lived in fear that the ride in "It's a Small World" would break down while I was on it. It happened to a friend of mine who was stuck in there for two hours. They wouldn't let them walk out (there is a way to exit from within) nor would they turn the music off.

Fortunately, it never happened.

Tucker in Texas

Here we sit wanting to o see ships this weekend with the dogs but rain may kill the chance. Dd taking it in stride even though the dog vacation is her idea. La Quinta dog friendly as is Stewart beach. Next weekend we can see Disney Magic as well.

Here we sit wanting to o see ships this weekend with the dogs but rain may kill the chance. Dd taking it in stride even though the dog vacation is her idea. La Quinta dog friendly as is Stewart beach. Next weekend we can see Disney Magic as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing more ships in Galveston!:D

to get excited..We are in full blown ready mode......10 weeks.

Large group fo folks on Carnival leaving today (we cruised with them last year)...150+ have been chatting for months on that face place...they are excited!

With our North Texas weather today, I do believe the AC bills are going away and we can shut down the pool for another season.

I really hope the people running USS Fort Worth's commissioning allow people on Pier 21 during Disney Magic's arrival and sailaway. Whoever is going might want to contact them and make sure they can go to the pier before and after the commissioning without a ticket (you need a ticket to get on the pier for the commissioning). If not, y'all might need to find another place. Is pier 22 still under reconstruction?

Hi Dylan:

What are you doing up so late (early)?

Lee and I were fortunate to receive an invitation to the commissioning of the USS Fort Worth this coming Saturday.

The commissioning takes place from 10am to noon with a reception following on the pier.

We also were at the USS Texas commissioning:)

If the cruise cam is working at Harbor House, you should be able to see the commissioning. Don't know about any live streaming.

I am assuming the pier will be open to everyone by the time Disney Magic sails.

The Elissa has gone to drydock and her pier is under major construction and will be for several months.

Mary

Hi Dylan:

What are you doing up so late (early)?

Lee and I were fortunate to receive an invitation to the commissioning of the USS Fort Worth this coming Saturday.

The commissioning takes place from 10am to noon with a reception following on the pier.

We also were at the USS Texas commissioning:)

If the cruise cam is working at Harbor House, you should be able to see the commissioning. Don't know about any live streaming.

I am assuming the pier will be open to everyone by the time Disney Magic sails.

The Elissa has gone to drydock and her pier is under major construction and will be for several months.

Mary

I had a headache yesterday and didn't feel well, so I took a nap before dinner and went back to bed after dinner. Woke up at 1 this morning.

Glad to hear the Elissa is getting restored.

Have fun at the USS Fort Worth's commissioning!

Dylan:

There is going to be live streaming of the commissioning.

Unfortunately today's paper that had the website is gone to the trash not to be found readable:(

Try usnavy.org or google U.S.S. Fort Worth.

Hope your headache is gone:)

Make that USNAVY.GOV - sorry

There is a video section on their website where the live streaming could be viewed.

We are sitting right now next to USS Ft Worth at Olympia grill happy hour!

And we are lucky enough to have invitation to commissioning on Saturday.

It's a beauty and a beast!

It has a white flag with longhorns on it

with Fort Worth on it too.

Need the blow up horns also !

We're recently back from our annual land trip to the east coast and are beginning to focus on our upcoming cruise on the Disney Magic (4 weeks, 3 days and counting) out of Galveston. Over the years we have sailed with a bunch of cruise lines but this will be the first time on Disney. Even though we are sailing Disney without kids along we look forward to experiencing a new cruise line.

Its interesting to note differences from what we have come to expect from the mainstream lines. First off, when we returned from our land trip we had cruise documents waiting for us in the mail. Its been awhile since we've received anything but e-docs. Included with the docs were luggage tags which is something that has nearly disappeared as the mainstream lines have gone to print your own luggage tags. When I did our online check in, I learned that each room comes with two wireless phones, presumably to keep track of each other. Make sure the phones are still in the room after the cruise or you get charged for the lose. In addition I learned that we can bring booze in our carry on bags for consumption in our cabin only. That's different than any cruise line we sail, even HAL and Princess which allow you to bring wine but not the hard stuff. We have since received a letter from Disney telling us that Halloween will be celebrated on our cruise (we sail on 10/20 so the real Halloween is the cruise after ours) and encouraging us to bring costumes since there will be activities for both kids and adults. Kids will be given a bag for trick or treating, preloaded with some goodies. Anyway, these are the things we've noted so far without setting foot on the Magic.

Gotta tell y'all my experience today.

I decided to get my driver's license renewed today. It isn't due for a month but something to cross off the "to do" list. I debated on going to the Clear Lake City one or Texas City. Texas City is a little further down the road but I've found them to be much faster. Clear Lake City is always mobbed and way understaffed.

Decided on going to Clear Lake City as there was a restaurant between here and there I wanted to check out.

As I go down NASA Road 1, I see bunches of people on the median, standing on the side of the road, cameras in hand. I then remembered that the shuttle transport was coming into Ellington Field but would be buzzing JSC on the way. As luck would have it, I got a good view of it when I was on the bypass (ducking around cars parked in the emergency lane, I might add).

I'm a little slow and it doesn't occur to me that it will be landing at Ellington in a few minutes and the field is right across from DMV on Highway 3 until I get into major traffic. Cars parked all along the Highway on both sides, some not too neatly, some double parked out on the right lane, and a gazillion people waiting. By then, I was committed so I just crawled along with the traffic in the left lane that was still somewhat moving and going slow and I watch it make a turn to the Field. It literally flew right over my car on its final approach! How lucky is that. I didn't have to find a parking space nor deal with the hordes. It did get dicey though because people were leaving pulling out their cars right in front of you, dashing across the highway, making u-turns to get to the direction they wanted to go. However, another bonus was a lot had parked in the DMV parking lot so when I got there, I had no problem finding a parking place which is not always easy.

When I thought about it, the whole thing probably only added 15-20 minutes to regular drive time. Worked for me!

It is on display until 9:00 tonight and will be leaving at sunrise tomorrow for California. The traffic has been horrendous. It headlined the evening news.

We were suppose to have it here for two days but they delayed it due to weather. Would it have killed them to delay getting it to California for two days so everyone didn't have to see it in a ten hour window?

Tucker in Texas

We're recently back from our annual land trip to the east coast and are beginning to focus on our upcoming cruise on the Disney Magic (4 weeks, 3 days and counting) out of Galveston. Over the years we have sailed with a bunch of cruise lines but this will be the first time on Disney. Even though we are sailing Disney without kids along we look forward to experiencing a new cruise line.

Its interesting to note differences from what we have come to expect from the mainstream lines. First off, when we returned from our land trip we had cruise documents waiting for us in the mail. Its been awhile since we've received anything but e-docs. Included with the docs were luggage tags which is something that has nearly disappeared as the mainstream lines have gone to print your own luggage tags. When I did our online check in, I learned that each room comes with two wireless phones, presumably to keep track of each other. Make sure the phones are still in the room after the cruise or you get charged for the lose. In addition I learned that we can bring booze in our carry on bags for consumption in our cabin only. That's different than any cruise line we sail, even HAL and Princess which allow you to bring wine but not the hard stuff. We have since received a letter from Disney telling us that Halloween will be celebrated on our cruise (we sail on 10/20 so the real Halloween is the cruise after ours) and encouraging us to bring costumes since there will be activities for both kids and adults. Kids will be given a bag for trick or treating, preloaded with some goodies. Anyway, these are the things we've noted so far without setting foot on the Magic.

We are considering (DW and I) going on that same cruise. Probably will finalize decision by Friday....maybe wait 3 weeks to finisish the planning, nothing like last minute.

We are sitting right now next to USS Ft Worth at Olympia grill happy hour!

And we are lucky enough to have invitation to commissioning on Saturday.

It's a beauty and a beast!

It has a white flag with longhorns on it

with Fort Worth on it too.

Need the blow up horns also !

That would be cool if the USS Fort Worth had inflatible longhorns!

I think the flag you described is Fort Worth's city flag.

[sNIP]

Looking forward to the Disney Magic being based in Galveston! Only two days from tomorrow until she's in port.

Gotta tell y'all my experience today. [sNIP]

Wow, that's awesome!

Archived