Proper Attire On Non-Formal Nights??

I am clueless as how to dress on these nights. I am 17 so I don't feel as if I will be judged too harshly-would a nike shirt and nice khaki shorts be acceptable? I am REALLY not a polo guy so I was just wondering. For formal nights, I will be doing a button down w/ tie, dress pants and dress shoes. Please let me know!

The dress code says no shorts in the main dining room. I'm not sure about the shirt rule. I use the self question of "would I wear this to church or a nice restaurant?" Then again, being a woman, I can throw on a dress or skirt and be (mostly) appropriate.

RCI says that shorts are not to be worn in the MDR at dinnertime, so you should bring long pants. They could be neat jeans or Docker-style slacks. You'd only need two pairs or so, because you can wear them just to dinner on multiple nights.

RCI also says that TShirts are not to be worn in the MDR at dinnertime. If you don't like polo or golf shirts, you can wear solid colored cotton shirts with either a crew neck or V neck. I picked them up for my husband in every color imaginable in Target for around $5 each. They are sort of like TShirts except not as large/baggy, and NO logos, so much neater especially if ironed.

I am clueless as how to dress on these nights. I am 17 so I don't feel as if I will be judged too harshly-would a nike shirt and nice khaki shorts be acceptable? I am REALLY not a polo guy so I was just wondering. For formal nights, I will be doing a button down w/ tie, dress pants and dress shoes. Please let me know!

Non-formal night attire in the Main Dining Room is typically summer slacks or khaki pants and collared shirts for men (these can be polo/golf shirts). No shorts. If you want to wear shorts, jeans or t-shirts, you may dine at the Windjammer buffet.

At age 17 I can see where you would like to be as causal as possible. Since the suggested dress code in the Main Dining Room does not include shorts, khaki's or a nice jean would get you in! Nothing wrong with polo shirts, as long as they have a collar, and are at least short sleeved.

As someone else mentioned, you are certainly allowed to wear shorts in the Windjammer for dinner. Except on Lobster night, just about everything that is offered on the menu in the MDR, is also offered in the Windjammer. Their steaks are not think, but I have mine cooked to order.:)

Enjoy your cruise!!

Rick

Your age has nothing to with the recommended evening dress. So that excuse doesn't work. Don't worry about what other Cruisers think about how you choose to dress. Just follow the simple guidlines RCCL publishes and you'll be fine.

If it's a hot-weather cruise, denim is not usually worn, as it's hot! No rule that jeans can't be worn, tho...they are, after all, cotton pants. Darkwash, in good condition is better than bleached out or holey ones!

To the 17 year year old....docker-style pants and a shirt with a collar will be fine. Either a button shirt or a golf shirt will work...even a "hawaiian shirt" is fine! Tee shirts are ok for breakfast and lunch, but not really for dinner in the dining room.

I dont agree that the casual shirt needs a collar. Many inexpensive stores (like Target or Kohls) sell very nice crew neck or V neck solid colored cotton shirts that are perfect, especially if new or ironed. My husband always wears shirts like this on casual/informal night, and no one would call it a "forbidden TShirt" or say that he looks out of place and underdressed.

Your age has nothing to with the recommended evening dress. So that excuse doesn't work. Don't worry about what other Cruisers think about how you choose to dress. Just follow the simple guidlines RCCL publishes and you'll be fine.

Here is the guideline directly from Royal Caribbean's website:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women.

This is actually a bit dressier than others, including myself have mentioned, such as khaki long pants or Polo shirts.

I don't think that he was looking for an excuse, but asking CC for answers.:)

Rick

Non-formal night attire in the Main Dining Room is typically summer slacks or khaki pants and collared shirts for men (these can be polo/golf shirts). No shorts. If you want to wear shorts, jeans or t-shirts, you may dine at the Windjammer buffet.

Right, right, wrong.

A significant number in your age group will have on jeans on non-formal nights and be in complete compliance with the dress guidelines.

You can also change into shorts and your t-shirt after dinner for the shows or just hanging out with friends and family.

I use the self question of "would I wear this to church or a nice restaurant?" Then again, being a woman, I can throw on a dress or skirt and be (mostly) appropriate.

The younger generation has no idea what you mean ...

I hate to say this, but do you pay attention to what people wearing to Church these days (ANYTHING goes) :rolleyes:

Ok, before you flame me, I do realize this is not the case for everyone. I am talking in general ... and I do know what I am talking about. ;)

At least to me it was. It no longer states no shorts and I know it did in the past. It says no bare feet or bathing suits, permitted at any time. No tank tops or caps allowed at dinner - that's it. I took a picture but I don't know how to post it. I commented to DH that since they didn't enforce it anyway maybe they just gave up.

This was on the Voyager TA out of Galveston last month and the subsequent Barcelona to Venice.

This is not an endorsement of shorts in the dining room - we wouldn't do it (nor do we ever go into the Concierge lounge during the cocktail hour in shorts as many do). I'm just stating what we saw.

I've sailed on the LOS and FOS and I wear nice shorts and a nice linen shirt in the main dining room. My daughter and son wear the same. I belive that I am on vacation and can wear what I want to wear. I do wear nice clothes but I do not dress up.

Have fun and be comfortable.

I am clueless as how to dress on these nights. I am 17

I'll preface this by saying I am not trying to be a smart*ss, nor am I trying to talk down to you so forgive me if it comes across that way, but....

Have you asked your mother or father? You are 17, so I assume you are going on the cruise with your parent(s), or maybe an aunt/uncle or grandparents, or some other adult who is/will be responsible for you. I understand you may be wanting ideas from past cruisers as to what teens typically are seen in on the ship, but at some point your mom (or whoever) is probably going to insist on having some input in what you pack and wear, whether you like it or not. ;)

I have a 17 year old son myself, and trust me- no way would he go on a cruise, with or without me, unless he had packed clothing that I deemed acceptable, according to both the cruiseline's standards and mine. :)

I'll preface this by saying I am not trying to be a smart*ss, nor am I trying to talk down to you so forgive me if it comes across that way, but....

Have you asked your mother or father? You are 17, so I assume you are going on the cruise with your parent(s), or maybe an aunt/uncle or grandparents, or some other adult who is/will be responsible for you. I understand you may be wanting ideas from past cruisers as to what teens typically are seen in on the ship, but at some point your mom (or whoever) is probably going to insist on having some input in what you pack and wear, whether you like it or not. ;)

I have a 17 year old son myself, and trust me- no way would he go on a cruise, with or without me, unless he had packed clothing that I deemed acceptable, according to both the cruiseline's standards and mine. :)

:D

Now this is about the BEST reply I have ever seen on CC

I've sailed on the LOS and FOS and I wear nice shorts and a nice linen shirt in the main dining room. My daughter and son wear the same. I belive that I am on vacation and can wear what I want to wear. I do wear nice clothes but I do not dress up.

Have fun and be comfortable.

See, that's the problem. People who only care about me, me, me - it's my vacation so to heck with the rest of you and certainly rules do not apply to me, me, me.

Some nights will be "smart casual" - so a shirt and pants is OK. Casual nights I am not sure how that would work....certainly the day you board the ship, dinner is casual, and if you are in shorts there is no problem - largely because your luggage may not have arrived at the room.

They don't allow short shorts, flip flops or anything that resembles underwear in the dining room. :D:D

Fran in Corner Brook

The younger generation has no idea what you mean ...

I hate to say this' date=' but do you pay attention to what people wearing to Church these days (ANYTHING goes) :rolleyes:

Ok, before you flame me, I do realize this is not the case for everyone. I am talking in general ... and I do know what I am talking about. ;)[/quote']

Indeed, just about anything goes in church. - the difference is I never turn anyone away because of their clothes :D

My husband has worn shorts the first day we get on the ship, and had no problem, but the rest of the time slacks or jeans for dinner.

I also agree with Rick - the OP is asking a legitimate question because clearly he wants to know. I think it's great.......

Fran

At least to me it was. It no longer states no shorts and I know it did in the past. It says no bare feet or bathing suits, permitted at any time. No tank tops or caps allowed at dinner - that's it. I took a picture but I don't know how to post it. I commented to DH that since they didn't enforce it anyway maybe they just gave up.

This was on the Voyager TA out of Galveston last month and the subsequent Barcelona to Venice.

This is not an endorsement of shorts in the dining room - we wouldn't do it (nor do we ever go into the Concierge lounge during the cocktail hour in shorts as many do). I'm just stating what we saw.

I'd be very interested to see this picture of the new sign. Maybe it will put a rest to the "no shorts in the dining room" people. I know on Oasis in April, the sign said no shorts; so I wore no shorts. But if they changed the sign, then I would wear shorts.

If not I apologize. I'm not very good at this sort of thing.

And there you have it. Shorts are now "allowed" on Voyager of the Seas. Whether you agree with it or not, or whether you would never wear them in the MDR, they are not prohibited from the dining room.

Thanks for posting this photo

Archived